View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Valencia Shin Crosses

I can't believe people are still fine with this guy when he's one of the worst off-ball defenders I've ever seen and rarely tracks back hard.

Very happy with how much he's improved in possession and he's still possibly the best pure tackler in the world, but my god he drives me mad

RedIan

Im so happy hes back. The one defender you can rely on to put a fast skillful winger in his pocket.

sillwuka

His positional awareness isn't great but his recovery speed bails him out 9/10. Glad to have him back as I'd play him RB and Dalot LB until Shaw is back.

Ekeke

Took up a lot of inverted fullback positions in the middle ahead of the CBs. When our moves break down its our RCB (Maguire in this game's) responsibility to cover that space a lot of the time. I'm not saying thats how we should set up, but thats what was happening today. Antony was out on the wide right and had little interest in tracking back, AWB was between the CBs and the winger in the half space/underlapped position and was often too far for when our own moves break down to then be at rightback and defend on the counters.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Took up a lot of inverted fullback positions in the middle ahead of the CBs. When our moves break down its our RCB (Maguire in this game's) responsibility to cover that space a lot of the time. I'm not saying thats how we should set up, but thats what was happening today. Antony was out on the wide right and had little interest in tracking back, AWB was between the CBs and the winger in the half space/underlapped position and was often too far for when our own moves break down to then be at rightback and defend on the counters.
Yeah, this seems weird to me. I think it would suit his skillset a lot more to use him in the way that City have used Walker forever, largely staying on the halfway line and covering that side against the counter.

He's definitely improved on the ball, but he's still not really who you want on it high up the pitch in the central areas he often finds himself in.

Ekeke

Yeah, this seems weird to me. I think it would suit his skillset a lot more to use him in the way that City have used Walker forever, largely staying on the halfway line and covering that side against the counter.

He's definitely improved on the ball, but he's still not really who you want on it high up the pitch in the central areas he often finds himself in.
I find myself agreeing with you. It wouldnt be my suggestion to use him the way we did today, either ETH thinks he has some extra on the ball ability, that his movement creates amazing space for Antony who is just not delivering at all, or perhaps it suggests we'll be looking to bring someone in next window that is more suited to that kind of midfield passing play. Shaw can do it from the left but neither AWB or Dalot seem like they'd be good as a passing link in those spaces. And there wont be much space to dribble from that spot without tight control which they dont have either. AWB actually gets forward a lot with attacking runs, we just hardly ever play the ball to him but then when a move breaks down he's so far away from a normal right back spot so he needs to be covered.

AndyMUFC

He almost completely shuts down the right side, I'm almost always comfortable when a defender is running at him. One of the first names on the teamshee when you need to be solid and grind out a result.

tompo18

It's great he is back, played very well in the last two games.

We look so much more solid on his side of the pitch. When we get Shaw back that will help a lot at the other side.

GueRed

Great to have him back. A good defender with tremendous tackling ability with those go-go gadget legs.

Covers a lot of ground up and down that right flank. If he can get into a habit of putting good early crosses into the box that would be great

Blood Mage

I have my issues with him but he's probably the best athlete in our squad, so I'm glad to see him back. The only player who plays with any intensity in our team really.

In Rainbows

McTominay never participates in the buildup phase as he likes to venture forward when the CBs have the ball. I'm sure Ten Hag recognized this and told AWB to occupy that other midfield spot. This helped United in the buildup.

FC Copenhagen 4:3 Man Utd

Alemar

His pass to Onana costed us dearly today. That said, in comparison to Dalot he was pretty good

redcucumber

That pass was utterly mental, that aside he was quite good for the first 60 minutes. He panics when we're under the cosh though which is far from ideal. Much better than Dalot.

Based Adnan

Poor pass and poor urgency to close down the crosser.

His return has been much anticipated but just like Dalot, he's no way near good enough.

Irwin99

Played pretty well aside from the moment in the first half where he totally lost his man for what could have been a costly error (Dalot did the same and we did concede in that instance). Our fullbacks always seem to have a big mistake in them.

Glorio

Plays a brilliant game, then suddenly supplies a hospital pass to our keeper

The Hilton

Plays a brilliant game, then suddenly supplies a hospital pass to our keeper
This is it summed up so well, he was imperious up until that sloppy pass. While it's definitely debateable if it was a corner, we had completely taken the sting out of the game and were comfortably keeping the ball up until that point, handing them attacking possession was just asking for trouble.

flameinthesun

Apart from the poor pass back to Onana for the Corner, he had a very good game. One of the few I've been impressed with under Ten Hag.

Oranges038

That pass was inexcusable.
Did well for the first goal.

The back post defending on the goal in the first half. The back pass. The attempt to defend the ball off the corner that led to the cross. A lot of his defending is inexcusable, but yeah, at least he's got slide tackles.

He's just not good enough, never has been.

The United

Thought he was decent. At least he carried the ball through players more than Antony did in this whole season?!

Marwood

That pass was inexcusable.
Players make the odd bad pass. Probably his one bad pass all game. They're not robots.

He was excellent. Especially when you consider he's probably not fully match fit yet.

RonaldoVII

The back post defending on the goal in the first half. The back pass. The attempt to defend the ball off the corner that led to the cross. A lot of his defending is inexcusable, but yeah, at least he's got slide tackles.

That would've been Rashford's man, no?

acid_fuji

Just came to write this. He is switching off many times and it looks like he forgets who runs behind him. Really evident in that situation where Onana saved his ass.

And what is this thing that he allows someone to basically run into our box from half line? Is he not quick enough or is it some tactical?

Oranges038

That would've been Rashford's man, no?
Watch the goal again, McT and AWB ball watching and both run to defend the same man in the same space. Neither of them even looks around, they're both ball watching. He should be aware, pass that first player off to McT and cover the back post.

Far post like that, that's the fullbacks player to stop, he gets sucked in right under the ball as he done time and time again. He's a woefully unaware defender.

Oranges038

Just came to write this. He is switching off many times and it looks like he forgets who runs behind him. Really evident in that situation where Onana saved his ass.

And what is this thing that he allows someone to basically run into our box from half line? Is he not quick enough or is it some tactical?
He's just not very positionally aware or good at using his body to direct players away from the goal, never has been, never will be. Some defender will be aware of danger and be proactive others like AWB just don't have that awareness.

tomaldinho1

People criticising him for the first goal either didn’t watch the game or are new to the sport. Explain to me how he would track his man - which he does - whilst also tracking what is Bruno’s man?