View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Red_toad

Imagine playing out of position with Rashford helping you out defensively. At a club where the manager obviously doesn't fancy you and is likely to offload you in a few months. Certainly wasn't the worst player on the pitch. The manager and his team mates sure do leave him exposed.

led_scholes

At his best, he is a mediocre RB.

Hopefully, one more year as an emergency back up.

What an atrocious transfer.

LDUred

You would see better positional awareness in a school game. Imagine carefully setting offside traps and waiting for the linesman's flag to pop up, only for this guy to constantly play everyone onside by inexplicably haring back. It's infuriating.

He had a clear line of view to see the other defenders move up, he was literally looking along that line and running while the ball was being played, thinking nothing of it. It's just hard to even explain why he wouldn't stop running there when it was so obvious he was risking playing the attacker onside.

You can't have defenders at this level who have barely any positional discipline like him. He did the same recently against Brentford letting Toney clean through and cost us a goal.

Last edited:

GledTheRed

That won't be cool, though. It's the same as not playing Varane on the left and then crying injuries.

Dalot played most of games at Milan on the left and AWB is a RB (barely a footballer, but still). Though it's too obvious for the Hagster. He is not only a manager, he is an innovator too. .
Baffling that he plays him left back.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Absolutely brain dead footballer. Has literally not improved a jot since palace. That is his level.

InfiniteBoredom

He makes a lot of runs so I'm not surprised. Cannot understand why he gets played regularly on the left to be honest, would Dalot be any worse there? Baffling...
Two of our goals came from the right with Dalot there.

Dalot would obviously be better on the left than AWB because he has more experience there, but by putting him there we also lost his attacking threat on the right, which is one of the few real weapon we have.

TempusFugit

He's just lazy. He's actually rapid but refuses to sprint most of the time, even when caught out of position. I've watched him catch up to Vardy and Zaha in games almost effortlessly. Also the way he kept stepping up and trying to win the ball today was strange. Tactical instruction?

I won't criticize himtoo much because to be honest asking him to play LB is tough. Completely different positional requirements and passing angles. Ten Hag needs to stop the experiment though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Doesn't matter if it's right back or left back.

He's just not good enough.
Agreed.

It doesn't make a difference if he's on the left or right, he just isn't a very good fullback for any team that wants to play a more dominant brand of football in possession. It was easy to see that he just didn't have the ability in possession when we signed him. But for some strange reason, Solskjaer and Phelan made the decision to sign both Maguire and Wan Bissaka, which would ultimately prove costly for Solskjaer as far as developing a system of play is concerned. And he hence had to adapt to the weaknesses of his signings, which gave rise to the Fred/McTominay partnership in midfield with Lindelof and Maguire at CB and De Gea in goal. That is a very poor way of developing a team imo.

And with both regular left backs injured, someone has to fill in for now and neither Lindelof or AWB are good enough in such a role. But you would expect AWB to at least position himself properly against a championship team. He could quite easily make the same mistakes playing as the RB.

The Viper

Apart from being a sh*t footballer, this guy is just emotionless. I've never seen him yell, moan, happy, sad or fight with any opposition player ever...just nothing.
And whenever we lose the ball, the way he just jogs back is way too infuriating. Way too casual. We have many such players who just switch off when we are in the lead and we end up the way we did this entire season

Oranges038

Agreed.

It doesn't make a difference if he's on the left or right, he just isn't a very good fullback for any team that wants to play a more dominant brand of football in possession. It was easy to see that he just didn't have the ability in possession when we signed him. But for some strange reason, Solskjaer and Phelan made the decision to sign both Maguire and Wan Bissaka, which would ultimately prove costly for Solskjaer as far as developing a system of play is concerned. And he hence had to adapt to the weaknesses of his signings, which gave rise to the Fred/McTominay partnership in midfield with Lindelof and Maguire at CB and De Gea in goal. That is a very poor way of developing a team imo.

And with both regular left backs injured, someone has to fill in for now and neither Lindelof or AWB are good enough in such a role. But you would expect AWB to at least position himself properly against a championship team. He could quite easily make the same mistakes playing as the RB.
100% agree, they targeted players with the wrong technical and physical attributes. Maguire is ok technically but he's just too slow.

Wan Bissaka is a disaster technically, no idea how he's made this far in the game.

RedDevilQuebecois

I can't wait to see the back of him. Lazy defending on Coventry's 2nd and zero footballing IQ on the penalty incident is why we allowed them to come back.

With that kind of "experience," it's better to play a kid like Amass instead.

QuietOn Fortune

Im a bit biased here because he is one my favourite players to watch at United.

However, i do think playing him at LB has caused him to tackle at the wrong angle.

The type of tackle he does to stop a LW is different to the type of tackle he has to do to stop a RW & happens at different angles relative to both him and the opposition player.

He hardly misses the ball on a slide tackle at RB but gave a penalty's just one week ago trying to slide tackle from LB. He 100% gets the ball on a slide tackle from RB.

Even his blocking shots is quite usually good but was crap at LB like the big deflection that came off of him from different angles both from the long range shot aswell as yesterday's hand ball penalty.

Dalot can cross from LB and has assists this season from LB - so playing AWB in his weaker area seems like we then have a weaker area in the team to get the top strength of the opposite side rather than two positions solidly covered.

Its just stupid from Ten Hag.

For me if Dalot is our number 1 RB for next season then AWB is good enough to be the back up RB, if Dalot is our 2nd choice RB after buying a new one then AWB maybe should go. People said he had improved under ten hag not too long ago until his mistakes at LB started to happen.

Ten Hags mistake for me more than AWB's.

It's like playing Jaoa Cancelo on the right so Kyle Walker can play at LB.

Which manager does that when Cancelo has experience playing as a LB? It automatically causes us an unnecessary problem that is started before the game has even started.

Its more poor IQ from Ten Hag than AWB for me.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Last year he put in a near 10/10 performance for a half of football at Wembley

Yesterday he put in a near 0/10.

Turning his back on the shot for the second goal gave me second hand embarrassment.

Red Regista

Absolutely shocking vs Coventry.

Has always been terrible going forward, but yesterday he forgot the one thing he was supposed to be good at - defending!

He's in that Lindelof/ Antony bracket of players who simply are nowhere near good enough to play for United.

Morpheus 7

He was an absolute shambles yesterday. His positioning has simply not improved. Involved in everything for them. Needs to be booted out with a good dozen others, hopeless.

reddyornot

Apart from being a sh*t footballer, this guy is just emotionless. I've never seen him yell, moan, happy, sad or fight with any opposition player ever...just nothing.
Yes, that's my main problem with him, he should be shouting at whatever United player is in front of him, to cover him.
I don't think I've ever seen him talk to another United player.
I think there is a decent footballer in him, same old story needs to be coached better.

Marwood

Some players can only play one position and for sure he's one of them.

It's on ETH this. Just switch him and Dalot round.

RedStarUnited

Absolutely shocking vs Coventry.

Has always been terrible going forward, but yesterday he forgot the one thing he was supposed to be good at - defending!

He's in that Lindelof/ Antony bracket of players who simply are nowhere near good enough to play for United.
I dont think he has ever been good at defending as whole. He is good at 1 and 1 defending and even that is full of slide tackles and last ditch tackles.

anyways I randomly found myself watching a highlight video of us from the Europa League semis in 2020 during covid. Look at the goals Sevilla score and watch Wan Bisaka.

Red Regista

I dont think he has ever been good at defending as whole. He is good at 1 and 1 defending and even that is full of slide tackles and last ditch tackles.

anyways I randomly found myself watching a highlight video of us from the Europa League semis in 2020 during covid. Look at the goals Sevilla score and watch Wan Bisaka.
Yeah, I mean I don't understand the coaching standards anymore when it comes to defenders at United. Lindelof and AWB make Silvestre and Wes Brown look like Maldini and Nesta, yet they're in the squad and even worse playing season after season after season. We knew back in 2018 that Lindelof wasn't good enough, we know for atleast three years that AWB isn't good enough, I don't see the point, just can't.

Eddy_JukeZ

I am surprised more teams don't overload on his side consistently.

He is extremely subpar at defending if it's not 1vs1 defending. He is poor aerially, doesn't track runners well, poor positionally during transitions and even during organized sequences, etc.

RedDevilQuebecois

His Man Utd career should be finished after last Sunday.

If it were for me, he would be sent down to the reserves while we promote one or two of our kids in his position. If his agent wants to remind anybody of whatever "contract obligations" there might be, he can shove those obligations wherever the sun doesn't shine.

QuietOn Fortune

If Ten Hag plays him at LB today then he has to be sacked.

Swap AWB & Dalot around from LB to RB or drop AWB completely and play Amass.

These kind of managerial mistakes cant happen.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He'll be on the right again. He'll make positional mistakes, and get rinsed on here for it....

Mike Smalling

Agree. I absolutely hate watching him on the left. He's awkward on the ball as it is, but when put on the left he also doesn't know where to run and refuses to use the left foot.

Wan-Bissaka is still only 26. He's a player we really should consider shipping, if we can get a decent fee. His best possible future here is as a back-up. Can't believe we paid £50m for him.

Born2Lose

Playing him as an inverted fullback against a Championship team on a wide Wembley pitch is another ten Hag moment of geeneeus.

Shinjch

Doesn't matter where he is played, he will always find a way to cost the team. Really can't understand how his contract was extended by a year, I see no benefit to the club as there is no way we are selling him for any sort of fee.

Remember the geese

Dalot put the cross in for the opening goal. I doubt a semi final at Wembley is the time or place to give someone their first start either. AWB was fine against Salah too.
Dalot shouldn't have to play at left back, I agree. However, with all these injuries, he is the only competent option. Aside, from a genuine left back in Amass of course. You say that it wasn't the time or place, but it was the easiest game we've had all season...for 70 mins.

Anyway, I hope Amass will be fully integrated during pre season.

Man Utd 4:2 Sheffield Utd New

The Hilton

He simply isn't good enough unfortunately, either at defending or going forward, he was much better suited to the more defensive football that we used to play but even then his one on one defending was balanced out by his poor positioning and general awareness.

Worst of all recently is that he looks like he doesn't really want to be here.

Nas-JR

He. Is. Awful. Just awful. So slow to close down his man every single time! What are you waiting for?? Close out the cross!! Didnt do it for 2nd goal today, didnt do it for first and third goal vs Coventry.

It's absolutely night and day between him and dalot who looks so sharp and quick, on top of actually being competent technically.

I yearn for the day that we have a genuine plan to get rid of players like him that have stunk up the place for years.

criticalanalysis

It's sad his form and performances have come to this after a promising first couple of years. However, we need to move him on. Not worth it for a contract extension and he has value now, so we should cash in.