Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I see the usual cognitive dissonance is in practice over transfer fees.

Woodward is once again simultaneously an absolute moron for not being able to negotiate any sort of deal at the same time that he’s being encouraged to just get on with it and pay and extra £10m or £15m if that’s what is needed to seal the deal.
Bingo.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I’m sure they are waiting until after the internationals before finalising this deal. No point paying £50m if he breaks his leg and is out for the season.
Could go the other way and he could be the best player at the tournament and a bidding war could ensue pushing his value up. I'd try and get a fee agreed for him subject to personal terms. If anything does happen we can then back out of the deal.

United Pro

I'm glad we're negotiating to lower the fee. Palace were clearly overvaluing him AWB and as a fan I'd rather wait another 2-3 weeks so that the price can drop by £10m. In the long term, it won't make any difference us announcing the deal say 3 weeks later than if we caved in during initial negotiations for the player.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm sure we'll match the £50m~ outright price by next week, but it's a farce when a club values their player at £60m, is willing to accept £50m and our guy is trying to haggle it into some kind of add-on only deal which probably includes us winning the title in three years. Just pay £50m because he's the RB we want. Stop over-complicating it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm sure we'll match the £50m~ outright price by next week, but it's a farce when a club values their player at £60m, is willing to accept £50m and our guy is trying to haggle it into some kind of add-on only deal which probably includes us winning the title in three years. Just pay £50m because he's the RB we want. Stop over-complicating it.
What's a couple of million quid anyway amirite?

Havak

Pokemon master
What's a couple of million quid anyway amirite?
Pretty much.

I'd agree with Woody on not just paying £60m right away. Hell, £40m I thought was a good offer. But I'd wager it doesn't take a genius to determine whereabouts that final price is going to be when you look at those two numbers.

I don't think Palace will cave on £45-50m and if Woody can get it slightly lower if we drag this to the end of June then okay? Does anyone really care about shaving an extra couple of million off the price? Maybe there are plenty that do and I'm being ignorant, but it feels like some kind of personal challenge to Woodward to not pay what the other team is willing to accept.

Massive Spanner

Pretty much.

I'd agree with Woody on not just paying £60m right away. Hell, £40m I thought was a good offer. But I'd wager it doesn't take a genius to determine whereabouts that final price is going to be when you look at those two numbers.

I don't think Palace will cave on £45-50m and if Woody can get it slightly lower if we drag this to the end of June then okay? Does anyone really care about shaving an extra couple of million off the price? Maybe there are plenty that do and I'm being ignorant, but it feels like some kind of personal challenge to Woodward to not pay what the other team is willing to accept.
Sorry but what club doesn't negotiate to try and get a better deal, unless they have a set release clause or something?

I think you're being really pedantic. There's nothing wrong with the club trying to lower the price, or do it in installments or make it up by incentives etc. Just paying them what they want is a dangerous precedent to set for ourselves.

Anyway if it's done by the end of June then that's in time for pre-season so it's still fine.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
AWB is on international duty right now, there is literally no rush to complete the deal.

I imagine it’s pretty much done anyway, the papers are just making stuff up to sell some headlines before it’s announced.

No way would we risk losing him by not paying more upfront in total.

Let’s see what happens after the u21s.

Havak

Pokemon master
Sorry but what club doesn't negotiate to try and get a better deal, unless they have a set release clause or something?

I think you're being really pedantic. There's nothing wrong with the club trying to lower the price, or do it in installments or make it up by incentives etc. Just paying them what they want is a dangerous precedent to set for ourselves.

Anyway if it's done by the end of June then that's in time for pre-season so it's still fine.
I'd be content with that too. At least this time we're talking about it in June rather than end of July or in August.

I have no issue with haggling but the price has already gone from £60m to £45-50m likely being accepted? If £40m was flat-out refused I can't see much point in offering £35m with add-ons or thinking we can lower it below the bottom end of what is now on the table. You think they are going to suddenly accept under £45m? They seem to want a no add-ons deal and I get the feeling Woodward will continue to probe it.

Anyway, it's a moot point if we get him in time at a price that suits both sides. Like I said above, we're not in a rush right now I guess.

padzilla

Hipster
I imagine in these cases that the selling asks for more than they want and the buying club offers less than willing to pay - both parties eventually meet in the middle and the deal is done and everyone's happy. To be frank, if we can't wrap up the signing of a Crystal Palace player without a protracted saga then something is dearly amiss.

crossy1686

career ending
Pretty much.

Yep, agreed. I reckon Palace have already mentally spent that £50m anyway, they’d love that kind of a windfall to reinvest, this transfer will get done next week if the negotiations continue.

sherrinford

You're taught at a young age to stay on your feet, only go to ground as the last resort, but W-B is defaulted to go to ground, he tackles like a winger tracking back most of the time, if he doesn't learn hoe to mix it up a bit he will be found out the higher the level he goes.
Not sure about that. He often goes to ground after he has stood up and shown the attacker down the line and the attacker has obliged. It’s not an accident or lucky how successful he is in the tackle. Contrast his approach with someone like Rafael who would constantly go steaming into challenges on the front foot, essentially gambling on getting the challenge in before the attacker in control of the ball can react. Wan-Bissaka’s approach is much more controlled.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sami Mokbel of the Mail is reporting that Palace will settle for £45m upfront and £5m in add ons.

I hope we can negotiate the fee down further.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sorry but what club doesn't negotiate to try and get a better deal, unless they have a set release clause or something?.
But you see, when Woodward is boasting that we are the richest club in the world with money to burn, and that we can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of, you've immediately lost any negotiating power that you might have had.

Its absolutely correct to have a limit and recognize when you are being over charged, but to haggle over £5m is ridiculous for a club of Manchester United's stature.
We really have so much to do in this transfer window, and we are just wasting time haggling over an amount of money that is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Crystal Palace have set their asking price, and given the current market, £50m is not unreasonable as the going rate, just do the deal ASAP and move onto concluding the next deal, we've still got a lot of work to do.

Swearing Budgie

I couldn't give a crap how much we pay for players. Makes no difference to me. I just want a few decent players in the team!

Massive Spanner

But you see, when Woodward is boasting that we are the richest club in the world with money to burn, and that we can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of, you've immediately lost any negotiating power that you might have had.

Its absolutely correct to have a limit and recognize when you are being over charged, but to haggle over £5m is ridiculous for a club of Manchester United's stature.
We really have so much to do in this transfer window, and we are just wasting time haggling over an amount of money that is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Crystal Palace have set their asking price, and given the current market, £50m is not unreasonable as the going rate, just do the deal ASAP and move onto concluding the next deal, we've still got a lot of work to do.
It's not ridiculous. It's £5m for feck sake. We're not talking about them arguing over a Freddo bar here or something.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why are you lot so impatient in the case of AWB? Even if we get the deal done right now, he won't be joining us before the campaign of English U21 gets over. This is one deal where we can afford to wait and negotiate. Calm down.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Sami Mokbel of the Mail is reporting that Palace will settle for £45m upfront and £5m in add ons.

I actually think that is a pretty fair valuation in the current market considering he is young, talented, English and prem ready. If that's the case, sign him up.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I suppose that's the difference between us - I haven't suggested it is anything. I don't claim to know. What I am doing though is opening my mind up to the fact that I don't really have a clue and I'm just throwing some things out there to suggest why it could be. I'm not arrogantly asserting that I know what I'm talking about. Have you ever played Devil's advocate on a position you hold? If something really frustrates me, I try to look at it from the complete opposite point of view and see if I'm missing something or there's something I need to go and look into.

I'm not saying things can't be done quickly. I agree that if we threw £50 million in cash at Palace then they would probably have accepted this now and he likely would have signed. We haven't done that though, we submitted a bid and we're in the position of now negotiating around that. I don't imagine he would go to the Glazers for permission, I also never suggested he would, that would be ridiculous. But these sorts of things don't just follow a literal chain of command. I have no idea what you do for a living but have you worked in a position where you need to get budgets or anything signed off? In my experience, that sort of process can involve getting sign off from a different department and someone who may be lower in the overall chain to you but are still a required signature.

A CEO isn't just some dictator who does what he wants, when he wants. There will be other people involved that would need to be engaged from a finance, risk, marketing, legal side etc.
Nor have I, nothing wrong with making a few simple presumptions based on how things seem to be. That's all they are though is presumptions, I don't claim to 'know what is going on' or 'arrogantly assert' but maybe I'm coming across that way. Internet conversations can be tedious without tone of voice, body language etc, I've still not got the hang of it to be honest. But ŷIf we cannot discuss how things appear from the outside then what are we even doing here? And please cut calling me arrogant and then following it up with a condescending explanation of playing devils advocate.
Having said that I do agree with your post overall, we do not understand the fine details of what is happening on any front and yet throw mostly pessimistic aspersions around about all of it.
I find myself in a similar position when people discuss the abilities of our coaches and back room staff despite having absolutely zero information about the details of their role or their competence. I'm not even sure that we disagree here but you wrote out such a long post I felt I had to reply.

Smores

Why are you lot so impatient in the case of AWB? Even if we get the deal done right now, he won't be joining us before the campaign of English U21 gets over. This is one deal where we can afford to wait and negotiate. Calm down.
That assumes he comes, if we need move on to other targets then this delay could be costly. We're in a state why the hell would anyone be calm right now :wenger:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That assumes he comes, if we need move on to other targets then this delay could be costly. We're in a state why the hell would anyone be calm right now :wenger:
Yeah I get that for other players who'd be available for us at the start of the pre-season but AwB looks like he'd miss the pre-season anyway. Also Liverpool don't need a RB as such. Arsenal and Spurs aren't spending this much money on a RB. City are negotiating with Cancelo. Chelsea transfer ban. I think we could be relaxed in this case.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's not ridiculous. It's £5m for feck sake. We're not talking about them arguing over a Freddo bar here or something.
Not in context, it really isnt.
Its an enormous amount to you or I, but when you have Sanchez being on close to £2m per month, and boast that you are the richest club in the World, then it really isn't a huge sum for a club such as Manchester United in the grand scheme of things.

It was only a few weeks ago we were apparently readily prepared to cough up £100m for a certain 19 year old currently playing Germany.

So its all about context.

Massive Spanner

Not in context, it really isnt.
Its an enormous amount to you or I, but when you have Sanchez being on close to £2m per month, and boast that you are the richest club in the World, then it really isn't a huge sum for a club such as Manchester United in the grand scheme of things.

It was only a few weeks ago we were apparently readily prepared to cough up £100m for a certain 19 year old currently playing Germany.

So its all about context.
Say our transfer budget is (it's probably not) £200m. £5m of that is 2.5%, that's not 'nothing', is it? It's a pretty decent amount of money and if we have to wait a few more weeks to get a better deal then so fecking what.

crossy1686

career ending

I think this transfer will get done if we can get him for less than Walker went to City. After Mourinho gave them shit about buying fullbacks for the price of strikers we're going to cop hell for paying the same amount or more a season or so down the line.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm pretty sure we're dealing with multiple targets at the same time, negotiations are asynchronous. It's not like we're not allowed to talk to any midfield targets until we've signed Wan-Bissaka.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hard not to get a warm fuzzy feeling about this one. Nice to A- see the club at last targetting a long-standing problem area. B- target a player where his parent club are willing to do business and C- target a player who actually wants to come

I guess this is what happens when you dont chase galactico names

tidraKS

Him and Issa Diop would be like the best transfers we could possibly do. In that case if are lucky with injuries, we should have one of the best defenses on PL.

Fox outside the box

Nor have I, nothing wrong with making a few simple presumptions based on how things seem to be. That's all they are though is presumptions, I don't claim to 'know what is going on' or 'arrogantly assert' but maybe I'm coming across that way. Internet conversations can be tedious without tone of voice, body language etc, I've still not got the hang of it to be honest. But ŷIf we cannot discuss how things appear from the outside then what are we even doing here? And please cut calling me arrogant and then following it up with a condescending explanation of playing devils advocate.
Having said that I do agree with your post overall, we do not understand the fine details of what is happening on any front and yet throw mostly pessimistic aspersions around about all of it.
I find myself in a similar position when people discuss the abilities of our coaches and back room staff despite having absolutely zero information about the details of their role or their competence. I'm not even sure that we disagree here but you wrote out such a long post I felt I had to reply.
Fair points and apologies for the way it came across. I'm personally guilty of jumping the gun sometimes, it's mainly out of frustration for the general attitude towards discussing these sorts of things. It isn't you personally and I'm sorry it ended up being directed at you.

izec

This should in theory be a quick deal to do. Palace want to sell for around 50m, players wants the move and we want him as well (probably number 1 player for RB spot). If true, 45m + 5m add ons is a fair price. Wait another year and with a good season, he would probably cost much more. We are lucky no other PL club is currently seriously interested in him.

Allas8

This should in theory be a quick deal to do. Palace want to sell for around 50m, players wants the move and we want him as well (probably number 1 player for RB spot). If true, 45m + 5m add ons is a fair price. Wait another year and with a good season, he would probably cost much more. We are lucky no other PL club is currently seriously interested in him.
Doubt Crystal Palace going to have that much of a better season than what they had. A year from now there will be another flavor of the year RB, and Dalot might end up having a good season for all we know.

red thru&thru

I couldn't give a crap how much we pay for players. Makes no difference to me. I just want a few decent players in the team!
Exactly. Amazing how many worry themselves over thi . It's almost like the club are listening to the fans.

We just want good quality players and to have a harmonious squad, who are all heading in the same direction.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
If he plays well tonight with the under 21's his asking price will rise or someone else will go in for him.

ash_86

I think the deal is already done. No way we're haggling 4-5m. The news articles are usually the last to catch up.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm glad we're negotiating to lower the fee. Palace were clearly overvaluing him AWB and as a fan I'd rather wait another 2-3 weeks so that the price can drop by £10m. In the long term, it won't make any difference us announcing the deal say 3 weeks later than if we caved in during initial negotiations for the player.
Why would his price drop if we wait 2-3 weeks more, though?

Mick1

I have no experience of negotiating transfers but the fact that the whole process can take place in a day (final day of the window) shows us that it can't be as complicated as you suggest.

Also when Ed is making these phone calls, he should know beforehand the maximum amount he is willing to spend on a player. I wouldn't expect him to have to ask the glazers permission for every single bid he makes but I am only presuming. Maybe it's a negotiation tactic, to wait ten days to make the next bid, seems risky to me. Makes sense to get the player in before other clubs make bids and to help your manager have his squad ready as soon as possible. Especially when this has been a complaint of the last three managers.
This is why deals in the final day of the window are called desperation signings. You overpay for someone because you have not been through a long negotiation process and end up short on time.

ivaldo

Exactly. Amazing how many worry themselves over thi . It's almost like the club are listening to the fans.

We just want good quality players and to have a harmonious squad, who are all heading in the same direction.
No one is worrying themselves over it, the only ones who are getting frantic over this are the fans who think we should pay whatever for a player. They are also the ones who tend to openly criticize the club for it's profligate transfers up until this point. Rather, some understand it's Woody's job to negotiate the best deal, and, if that adds another week or two week to negotiations, so be it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's excellent at going to ground on the slide. I've always been of the thinking that it's a sign of a better defender if they can stand their ground/intercept/win the ball without having to do so. going to ground is a last resort and slows your transition into attack.

The bold is a glaringly obvious flaw for a modern fullback imo. Of course he'd be a huge upgrade on young but I just think with first team football, Laird will far exceed AWB's ability overall. Signing AWB would practically end lairds career here which could be seen as a major major clanger imo.
Moving it over to this thread.

I don't think it would end Lairds career. It would certainly make it harder for him to jump into the first team and would require him to have a loan before seriously fighting AWB for his position. But realistically he's still at least 12 months if not 24months away from that stage of his career. I mean he's still playing in the U18s. But we would have too many young RBs at the club with Dalot, Laird and AWB. It frankly puts more doubt on Dalot than Laird imo.

ivaldo

Moving it over to this thread.

I don't think it would end Lairds career. It would certainly make it harder for him to jump into the first team and would require him to have a loan before seriously fighting AWB for his position. But realistically he's still at least 12 months if not 24months away from that stage of his career. I mean he's still playing in the U18s. But we would have too many young RBs at the club with Dalot, Laird and AWB. It frankly puts more doubt on Dalot than Laird imo.
Aye. Laird only signed his first professional contract 7/8 months ago.

Mick1

Won 2 league titles with Molde who had never won a league title before his arrival. Brendan won stuff with Celtic but their only competition was non league level teams and he bought Lazar Markovic. I prefer Ole.
Rodgers has also been a successful premier league managers for years, and took Liverpool to 2nd place.

Ole has gotten Cardiff relegated and had them fighting relegation in the championship in 10 months.
Ole is completely unproven at this level, and whilst I would have loved for him to become a united manager after proving himself at a championship and a premier league top half side before taking on the role. He needed to reistablish his managerial reputation away from united not have to learn on the go at the biggest club in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.