Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

If the plan is to continue with a diamond (or a 3-5-2), then it is essential that the fullbacks(/wingbacks) are able to provide some attacking threat out wide. AWB isn't suitable for that role - his passing and crossing is horrible.

If however the plan is a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, then he makes a bit more sense.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I thought that first fella was off to Juve? The rest are a bit of a gamble, besides Ziyech who looks quality - but I thought he was destined for somewhere else too.

To be honest, we need to sign a big name at right mid more than anywhere. Get a few gems to replace the dross elsewhere.
We don't need a big name, we need a good player, and all of those are big upgrades on what we have, especially since they are actually RWs

The UTD Way

I'm not sold. Think unless he improved drastically going forward were going to have the same issues of a completely non-existent right side in the attacking phase.

For example, look at the below game v Arsenal. Almost all the on the ball touches were not good. That will be ripped apart at United. Appreciate he's young, it's one game and he certainly has many other qualities but not convinced he's what we need.

I agree with what your saying completely. I think however oles way of playing will be to have a solid back line that breaks up play and releases the ball quickly for counter attacks etc... I’m not sure we will see the old style overlapping fullbacks we used to.

Cassidy

Another excellent RB option would be Atal playing at Nice, but I have not seen us linked to him.

dz united

Another excellent RB option would be Atal playing at Nice, but I have not seen us linked to him.
Atal is exceptional talent, especially going forward but he does lose the ball a lot since he is never afraid to take on the left back. His last few games for nice he has been playing a little further forward as a LW.

Sanche7

Is it that hard to find a player who isn't a winger converted into a FB? And for a winger converted into FB he's meh going forward.
His lack of technique and OK passing is the reason why you won't see Pep trying to buy him despite them being in the market for a RB and despite having very few British players in their squad

Jonno

One of the reasons we're failing at the moment is because we're incredibly limited out wide from our wingbacks. Shaw is adequate but not outstanding, Young is an incredible liability going forward but offers the basics in defending. Dalot looks a good player, but doesn't seem capable of playing 50 games just this season.

AWB would be an excellent signing this summer, we need to build our attacks from defence. We need ball playing cenbrebacks and energetic wing backs just as a start. Then we can look at the problems in midfield and attack. Deary me.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We don't need a big name, we need a good player, and all of those are big upgrades on what we have, especially since they are actually RWs
Well yeah, what I mean is an instant impact. Half of those players you mentioned are very young and relatively unproven. We can't just sign prospects and no immediate, world class quality - we're in a position where we need both ASAP.

Cassidy

Well yeah, what I mean is an instant impact. Half of those players you mentioned are very young and relatively unproven. We can't just sign prospects and no immediate, world class quality - we're in a position where we need both ASAP.
Yes well my point still stands we need a RW, to solve the issue of our non existent right flank

Skills

Snitch
Is it that or is it because the alternatives are Young and Darmian. What’s wrong with Dalot having to fight for a place ala Heinze v Evra. Dalot still has so much to prove.
I am not against us signing another RB. I just don't think signing another raw player for 50m is the way to go.

Also you don't sign competition for 50m. How much do you think a player you sign for 50m pounds earns? 140-150k a week? That's a first team salary.

Based Adnan

Think he's a bit like Clyne. Defensively very good but not got enough going forward for a top side who's going to dominate possession. He will get in the way of the development of Dalot and Laird as well.

Andersons Dietician

25 mil sounds like the kind of bid that in FIFA career mode the board would come back and tell you they are offended by your offer and will no longer negotiate with you.

Not a chance they would let him go for so little, however I hope we do get him for less than the reported 50 mil they want.

Cassidy

25 mil sounds like the kind of bid that in FIFA career mode the board would come back and tell you they are offended by your offer and will no longer negotiate with you.

Not a chance they would let him go for so little, however I hope we do get him for less than the reported 50 mil they want.
25m + us relinquishing our sell on clause on Zaha could be an interesting one...

AR87

I have to believe there's more to the bid than that. Probably like 25m + 15m in very attainable add-ons plus maybe we drop our sell on clause on Zaha.

Andersons Dietician

25m + us relinquishing our sell on clause on Zaha could be an interesting one...
How much is our sell on percentage because I doubt it would be much more than 10% and let say Zaha’s value is probably 70-80 mil. We’d still be falling way short of that 50 mil.

IrishRedDevil

'United are expected to table an opening bid of £25million for the 21-year-old.

And although that offer is certain to be rejected, it will begin negotiations over the starlet who Solskjaer has tracked since taking charge in December.'

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Yes well my point still stands we need a RW, to solve the issue of our non existent right flank
Yeah and I agreed but put it out there that there’s a slim chance we will. Therefore, a solid right back that’s good going forward is the alternative imo (plus one of those players you mentioned perhaps).

Cassidy

How much is our sell on percentage because I doubt it would be much more than 10% and let say Zaha’s value is probably 70-80 mil. We’d still be falling way short of that 50 mil.
Supposedly 20-25% up to £35m, since the fee they paid was really small. Believe we also had around 20% on Memphis Depay too

Skills

Snitch
Think he's a bit like Clyne. Defensively very good but not got enough going forward for a top side who's going to dominate possession. He will get in the way of the development of Dalot and Laird as well.
I think Azpi is maybe a slightly better comparison. A very good player potentially, but I don't think an attacking team would have him as a first choice FB. Like Azpi he could potentially be a terrific CB though in the right system.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thread title is weird cause he definitely seems like one of those players who always gets referred to in full-name only. Like Klaas Jan-Huntelaar or Tore Andre Flo.

flappyjay

I think Azpi is maybe a slightly better comparison. A very good player potentially, but I don't think an attacking team would have him as a first choice FB. Like Azpi he could potentially be a terrific CB though in the right system.
Azpi might not be fancy but he puts in a mean cross

Noc-Z

ffs
RB needs sorted more than any position (apart from maybe RW) and this guy really looks the part. Hope we get him. Time to retire Young!!!

Lee565

Sorry but going forward he is worse than Valencia, for 40+ million he doesn't have that ability to whip in crosses from deep, unless we are thinking of buying him to convert him into a decent ball playing central defender then it will be a joke if we pay anywhere near or more than what Man city paid for their recent fullbacks, we may as well just stick Phil Jones in the right back position if being defensively sound is all that matters for Ole.

Doherty, Pereira or Meunier are more ideal candidates for the attacking type of right back we should have at the club, fed up since Rafael got sold of seeing our right backs void of any real quality in the opponents half

Matt279

Just read through these and it shows the problem with people sat at a computer looking at stats instead of watching and finding out about players properly. Fine if you dont want to do that but don't write like you know what you're talking about

Wan-Bissaka was a winger until about 2.5 years ago, he was played at full back in training and his 1v1 ability was so good they kept him there. He gets a lot of praise because his tackling and take on stats are insane but that doesnt mean he cant get forward too

His attacking stats dont look great because a) he plays for palace who dont score a lot from open play and he doesnt take set pieces, b) Townsend plays in front of him who hugs the touchline giving less overlap opportunity, c) Van Aanholt plays at left back who is very attacking and a lot of teams wont push both full backs up at once

Despite this he had 4 or 5 assists this season and the most successful take-ons of any defender I believe, at Christmas he had more than TAA and Robertson combined for example

His main areas of improvement seems to be heading, and not overplaying in deeper dangerous positions

I got all this from about 15mins on the internet and watching him once live and about 3 times on TV

From a development perspective he probably needs another year at a lower profile club, and would be better prepared for a move next summer. The risk with waiting is that he gets tied into a longer contract and becomes more expensive and established or that someone else comes in and pays the asking price in the meantime, but for me in a year he'll be the most complete full back in the league

Reactions: golden_blunder

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
RB needs sorted more than any position (apart from maybe RW) and this guy really looks the part. Hope we get him. Time to retire Young!!!
Not to break your spirit or anything but he will be our captain next season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I am not against us signing another RB. I just don't think signing another raw player for 50m is the way to go.

Also you don't sign competition for 50m. How much do you think a player you sign for 50m pounds earns? 140-150k a week? That's a first team salary.
You do at this club, do you expect Fred to start next season in your ideal lineup?

Besides, in this scenario Dalot would be the competition. We just signed him before we signed the main signing.

Last edited:

AlexUTD

He is a great tackler and he has great speed/acceleration and can pass the ball. He used to be a winger so i am not worried about him, when it comes to become better at attacking.

Really impressed me this year, always one of the best playersd on the pitch against the top sides also.

Kaglish10

Just read through these and it shows the problem with people sat at a computer looking at stats instead of watching and finding out about players properly. Fine if you dont want to do that but don't write like you know what you're talking about

Wan-Bissaka was a winger until about 2.5 years ago, he was played at full back in training and his 1v1 ability was so good they kept him there. He gets a lot of praise because his tackling and take on stats are insane but that doesnt mean he cant get forward too

His attacking stats dont look great because a) he plays for palace who dont score a lot from open play and he doesnt take set pieces, b) Townsend plays in front of him who hugs the touchline giving less overlap opportunity, c) Van Aanholt plays at left back who is very attacking and a lot of teams wont push both full backs up at once

Despite this he had 4 or 5 assists this season and the most successful take-ons of any defender I believe, at Christmas he had more than TAA and Robertson combined for example

His main areas of improvement seems to be heading, and not overplaying in deeper dangerous positions

I got all this from about 15mins on the internet and watching him once live and about 3 times on TV

From a development perspective he probably needs another year at a lower profile club, and would be better prepared for a move next summer. The risk with waiting is that he gets tied into a longer contract and becomes more expensive and established or that someone else comes in and pays the asking price in the meantime, but for me in a year he'll be the most complete full back in the league
Doesn't matter if he was a winger. Some wingers are turned into defenders because of their lack of productivity. I think Piszcek was initially a forward but today, he's a fullback and has been for many years.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I know I posted earlier with concern that Wan-Bissaka only got 3 assists this season.

But I've just read Kyle Walker only got 1, so I feel better about that now.

Cabin Clown

Wan-Bissaka is my clear #1 target for RB this summer.

Last edited:

AgentP

That Russian Brazilian RB Mario Fernandes looks like a good option if AWB is too costly. He is going to be 29 so it will be ideal for Dalot and Laird as well.

Verminator

Ridiculous how?
Why would you buy a player to hold down the fort, in the hope that a younger player would improve enough to take his place, as he deteriorates, rather than get the best possible option in place?
Buying to fit in with a prospect is mind-meltingly stupid. I really am struggling to believe anyone could see that as anything else.

If a player is good enough, he will displace the guy in front. You don't alter your standards to ensure it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.