Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
Heaven forbid we sign a 21 year old English defender who is rock-solid defensively. Especially after seeing Young and Dalot defend the last couple of months.

hobbers

This is so overstated its getting ridiculous.
It's not said enough frankly.

We've had two awful footballers at RB and RCB for half a decade or more now (not that the left sided defenders have been much better). Isn't it time we followed the examples of modern day successes and got defenders who are actually comfortable with the ball at their feet?

Ask any Palace fan and they will tell you: comfortable with the ball is about the last thing you would say about AWB.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Meunier would be a sensible signing.
I would like to see Dalot and a new LB as first choice, sell Shaw.

Then we would have 3 full backs for 2 positions, Dalot, Meunier and new LB. And if there were injuries, I think Matic could play at LB, Lindelof at RB etc.
Sell our player of the year and have our slowest, most past-it player replace him in the most athletically demanding position on the pitch. We’ve got our new DoF, lads.

ravi2

Meunier would be a sensible signing.
I would like to see Dalot and a new LB as first choice, sell Shaw.

Then we would have 3 full backs for 2 positions, Dalot, Meunier and new LB. And if there were injuries, I think Matic could play at LB, Lindelof at RB etc.
This might be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on here

Red_toad

Shaw was only player of the year because the rest of the team and defence were awful. Shaw is a good player but we need an upgrade on him, he was poor in possession and his final ball was also poor.
Absolute crap that Shaw is poor in possession, has one of the best first touches in the team, also has a decent range of passing. Crossing accuracy lets him down yes. There will be zero urgency to replace him in the team..

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Shaw was only player of the year because the rest of the team and defence were awful. Shaw is a good player but we need an upgrade on him, he was poor in possession and his final ball was also poor.
Absolute crap. Shaw is probably one of the best short passers in our team. What on earth are you watching?

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Ask any Palace fan and they will tell you: comfortable with the ball is about the last thing you would say about AWB.
Hello. He is comfortable on the ball. :devil:

Not so great when he has to beat the opposing fullback and whip in a cross but he dribbles well and keeps things simple for us, usually giving it back to Zaha or Townsend. To be fair he is told to do that, our width comes down the left with PVA pushing up (because he can’t defend to save his life, so Roy doesn’t have a choice).

I hope you sign Meunier.

Varunie1208

Dalot is not a RB or a RW. He would be ok as wing back, but only when we play that formation. Frankly I can't believer others don't see his deficiencies. Experience won't change the poor hips and athletic shortcomings as a fullback and he can't run at players well enough to play an attacking position.

lysglimt

Scout

We've had two awful footballers at RB and RCB for half a decade or more now (not that the left sided defenders have been much better). Isn't it time we followed the examples of modern day successes and got defenders who are actually comfortable with the ball at their feet?

What a bunch of BS

hobbers

What a bunch of BS
You realise having a load of defenders who are scared of the ball and cant even weight their passes is the single biggest reason our attacking threat has been so limited, and our tempo so low, for years?

Why do you want more of that?

It would be one thing if AWB was available for a reasonable fee, but he isn't. Why piss money up the wall for more of the same?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shaw really isn't poor in possession.

Jammiedodger

If we're comparing him to Young then surely hes 100x better before we even explain why?

Young is dire. Anything is an improvement on him. If someone said we were signing Teresa May at RB, that would still be an improvment over Young.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Red_toad

So poor crossing doesnt count as poor in possession? My bad, he has no end product so by default can still be classed as poor in possession, maybe should have labelled it as poor end product. Im not suggesting we need to replace him now, we are need of replacements in other areas first of all.
I'd say possession is kinda like when you possess the ball, so being able to move it up and down the pitch under control. You consider possession to include when you've given the ball to an opposing player or one of you team mates? Plus 7 assists and 1 goal, puts him comfortable above Wan Bissaka (abet a different position) with 3 assists and zero goals. But as Shaw is our player he's always going to be easily surpassed by the current hype player...

Zlatattack

Hello. He is comfortable on the ball. :devil:

Not so great when he has to beat the opposing fullback and whip in a cross but he dribbles well and keeps things simple for us, usually giving it back to Zaha or Townsend. To be fair he is told to do that, our width comes down the left with PVA pushing up (because he can’t defend to save his life, so Roy doesn’t have a choice).

I hope you sign Meunier.
Oh no. Sounds like Valencia mk 2.

Red_toad

Im not comparing him to AWB at all, just that his final ball isnt whats needed. I consider poor in possession to include his decision making when he gets to the business end of the pitch, not necessarily giving the ball away, but his thought process behind his choices is somewhat limited.

He has 4 league assists to AWB 3 so not that much better, but wasnt comparing the 2 of them as they are not the same position, was just giving an opinion on Shaw.

Not sure AWB is what we need, but would be an improvement on Young.
Decision making isn't possession, he retains the ball very well and is comfortable on the ball. You can't see that, well that's your opinion, which I strongly disagree with.

passing-wind

The fee has no relativity to if AWB is a success or not. Facts are facts, he's been one of the best defenders (let alone fullbacks) in the league this season. This consequently makes him one of the best in europe additionally.

We have an overaged abysmal fullback who is leading the position in Ashley Young, his back up (Dalot) is a young prodigy who has looked utterly clueless in the fullback role but promising further up the pitch.

Why is AWB going to cost within the range of 50-70 million ? He's young / proven / contractually tied. All this nonsense that everyone is spouting about his attacking play, he will be coached here, be playing under a different system and with a higher quality of players these are conditions that can provide a foundation of improvement (Robertson). You also have to consider that Van Aanholt is consistent in stretching runs into the opposition's box so tactically Roy could be telling AWB to hold his position with more discipline.

Whenever in recent history has a fullback been relied heavily upon to facilitate possession the way a midfielder does (which constitutes possession play). Luke Shaw has received untold criticism for resembling the habits of a central midfielder in a wider role. Fullbacks have a very small margin to operate in, they cannot influence the play as integrally as a midfielder or striker dropping off (Trent AA is the only exception considering he's so gifted technically, clearly this is a tactical ploy of klopps something not every team has the luxury of). The concensus from fans is all our emphasis of attack will go through the fullback, this is utter nonsense it's the midfield who dictate the tempo, fullbacks can overlap an intervened winger essentially to cross or shoot nothing more.

Look at who we have down the right side: Mata / Lingard. Neither of these two are disciplined to stay wide, neither of them contribute effectively defensively and both are relatively slow out of possession. If you take all that into account and then put an attacking fullback behind these two, your left with a hole that simply put cannot be satisfied.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Poor in possession is not the same as poor with possession. 2 different concepts entirely. His passing may be good but his decision making is not, all I was trying to say
In possession is when you have the ball. Your quote was in possession. So continue to argue with yourself ;)

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Would really like to see this guy as our RB, as I feel Dalot may be a season or two before he is ready. I am concerned about the price that is being touted. A total of £50 million would the max that I think is reasonable, that would include any add ons for appearances and international caps. To me, we need to stop conceding so many goals, so let's get the defence right. AWB and De Ligt would go a long way to ensuring that if we can get them.

Marzo

The fee has no relativity to if AWB is a success or not. Facts are facts, he's been one of the best defenders (let alone fullbacks) in the league this season. This consequently makes him one of the best in europe additionally.

We have an overaged abysmal fullback who is leading the position in Ashley Young, his back up (Dalot) is a young prodigy who has looked utterly clueless in the fullback role but promising further up the pitch.

Why is AWB going to cost within the range of 50-70 million ? He's young / proven / contractually tied. All this nonsense that everyone is spouting about his attacking play, he will be coached here, be playing under a different system and with a higher quality of players these are conditions that can provide a foundation of improvement (Robertson). You also have to consider that Van Aanholt is consistent in stretching runs into the opposition's box so tactically Roy could be telling AWB to hold his position with more discipline.

Whenever in recent history has a fullback been relied heavily upon to facilitate possession the way a midfielder does (which constitutes possession play). Luke Shaw has received untold criticism for resembling the habits of a central midfielder in a wider role. Fullbacks have a very small margin to operate in, they cannot influence the play as integrally as a midfielder or striker dropping off (Trent AA is the only exception considering he's so gifted technically, clearly this is a tactical ploy of klopps something not every team has the luxury of). The concensus from fans is all our emphasis of attack will go through the fullback, this is utter nonsense it's the midfield who dictate the tempo, fullbacks can overlap an intervened winger essentially to cross or shoot nothing more.

Look at who we have down the right side: Mata / Lingard. Neither of these two are disciplined to stay wide, neither of them contribute effectively defensively and both are relatively slow out of possession. If you take all that into account and then put an attacking fullback behind these two, your left with a hole that simply put cannot be satisfied.
Good post, agree with your sentiment.

hobbers

All this nonsense that everyone is spouting about his attacking play, he will be coached here, be playing under a different system and with a higher quality of players these are conditions that can provide a foundation of improvement (Robertson).
I remember people saying the same about Lukaku and his ball control/positioning... Didn't turn out quite like that.

Not sure about the system or higher quality of players either. At this exact moment we have no established system, and the players who will be closest to AWB on the pitch are at present Lingard and Smalling.

VanGaalEra

My preferred option at RB, him along with De Ligt and we’d have a solid defence.

Bojan11

Would rather go for Meunier. I’d have Tuanzebe and if it happens De Ligt as our centre back next season.

More experience and a better final ball than AWB, which I doubt Shaw will ever get good at. I wouldn’t be too displeased with signing AWB as he still is miles better than what we got but we need full backs who are attacking threats. Shaw isn’t a good attacking threat no matter what anyone says about his passing.

NK86

Dalot is not a RB or a RW. He would be ok as wing back, but only when we play that formation. Frankly I can't believer others don't see his deficiencies. Experience won't change the poor hips and athletic shortcomings as a fullback and he can't run at players well enough to play an attacking position.
Wtf is "poor hips" thing? I have read it earlier as well on here. Was it you who posted that nonsense as well?

Nitewolf

Wow, you really didn't see AWB this season didn't you?
The guy has 1.7 successful dribble per match, second only to Zaha in all of Crystal palace squad.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/162/Show/England-Crystal-Palace

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is very talented and if clubs get a sniff he is available then I'd imagine everybody in the top 6 going in for him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He is very talented and if clubs get a sniff he is available then I'd imagine everybody in the top 6 going in for him.
Cant see yourselves or Arsenal bidding 50m. Why would Liverpool? Doubt City will with Walker - but possible. Chelsea are a possibility but look to be transfer banned.

settembrini

Liverpool won't go for him because they have Alexander-Arnold. Arsenal won't go for him because they can't afford him. Chelsea won't go for him because of their transfer ban.

If he decides to leave it will be between United, City and Tottenham.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Liverpool don't need him. They are out.

City possibly but Walker still got years in him yet. Doubt City will be in for him.

Spurs could do with a RB but they won't spend £60m on a right back. No chance.

Arsenal? Forget it.

Chelsea don't need him. They have Azpi.

There's only United really who both need a player in his position and would sanction the move due to his price tag. If he's allowed to leave it will be to join us.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Liverpool don't need him. They are out.

City possibly but Walker still got years in him yet. Doubt City will be in for him.

Spurs could do with a RB but they won't spend £60m on a right back. No chance.

Arsenal? Forget it.

Chelsea don't need him. They have Azpi.

There's only United really who both need a player in his position and would sanction the move due to his price tag. If he's allowed to leave it will be to join us.
I could see City going for him. He might oust Walker from the first XI.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I could see City going for him. He might oust Walker from the first XI.
Possibly but I don't think they see RB as an immediate problem area.

Left back is more pressing for them as Mendy is just a sick note. They also have David Silva leaving possibly, Kompany just left and Fernandinho needs a successor.

Don't think a right back is in their thoughts this summer.

settembrini

Sam Lee has said that City are 'big admirers' of Wan-Bissaka but they won't bid for him unless Danilo leaves which at the moment is likely but not definite.

Status
Not open for further replies.