Abortion

RedDevilQuebecois

Yes. And performed it so a 10 year old didn’t get split in half giving birth.

“Pro-life” piece of shit AG just wants to scare people.
I'm just glad that a solution was found to that serious issue with the 10-year-old. Even so, we all know that others won't have the same luck if those POS get their way by moving towards unconditional abortion bans.

And, yeah, the Indiana AG is a cnut.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I mean, this is some next level shit. "It would not be an abortion".... I mean WTF.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The state of a country when the public discussion is about whether a 10 year old rape victim should be forced to have a baby or not.

RedDevilQuebecois

The state of a country when the public discussion is about whether a 10 year old rape victim should be forced to have a baby or not.
Indeed. Just fecked up and bordering utter mental deficiency to even debate what should be a no-brainer (that it is NOT okay to force a raped kid to have a baby) in any other developed country.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Indeed. Just fecked up and bordering utter mental deficiency to even debate what should be a no-brainer (that it is NOT okay to force a raped kid to have a baby) in any other developed country.
I just wrote a sarcastic joke and then deleted it. I just can’t. I use sarcasm and humor to deflect anger but I also have 10 and 8 yo nieces who mean the world to me. The thought of something happening to them enrages me to a point of misty red and the thought of some christian feck saying they should lose their life/future because of a mass of cells brings the mist back. Monsters, all of them.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
We have our fair share of loons in portuguese politics. Your average climate change deniers, anti-vax alt-right, immigrants are bad type of folks, but I am 100% sure if any politician suggested a 10 year old rape victim should be forced to give birth, they would have to ride into the sunset lucky luke style, never to be heard of again. It would be their end in the public life.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's utterly bizarre.
What’s even worse is that the Southern Baptist church in this country had been pro-abortion until 1980. This zeal to be virulently anti-abortion in this country is basically due to a political shift in 1980.

https://theconversation.com/amp/the...-they-have-not-always-opposed-abortion-183712

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I thought all the court said was that Abortion wasn't constitutionally protected. That allows states to formulate their own policies but doesn't explicitly limit abortion law to the state level. Pretty sure a federal abortion ban is fine and dandy. It just wouldn't be constitutionally protected and could be repealed by future administrations.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I thought all the court said was that Abortion wasn't constitutionally protected. That allows states to formulate their own policies but doesn't explicitly limit abortion law to the state level. Pretty sure a federal abortion ban is fine and dandy. It just wouldn't be constitutionally protected and could be repealed by future administrations.
This is a good interview covering the legal ambiguity: https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-an...ch-federal-laws-upholding-or-banning-abortion

I will say this - I am convinced the Supreme Court would uphold a federal abortion ban, and I am convinced the Supreme Court would strike down a federal law legalising abortion.

Frosty

Well similar laws did lead to death of an Indian woman in Ireland few years back so similar case would happen in one of these red states sooner or later.
I mentioned this before the Dobbs decision, but I reckon it will take thousands of deaths, not to mention even more thousands of close calls and women suffering from doctors not being able to be doctors, before anything changes for the positive. At least going from the English experience.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I mentioned this before the Dobbs decision, but I reckon it will take thousands of deaths, not to mention even more thousands of close calls and women suffering from doctors not being able to be doctors, before anything changes for the positive. At least going from the English experience.
If the whole gun thing is something to go by, I'm not sure women dying by the thousands will be enough to change things.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If the whole gun thing is something to go by, I'm not sure women dying by the thousands will be enough to change things.
It's going to take adult, white, evangelical males in positions of power dying by the 10's for this to happen.

Infra-red

Jesus fecking christ…

Sometimes you look at America and think, "they're just like us". We watch the same films, listen to the same music, speak the same language (or at least a close approximation of it). But Americans are not like us. It is fast becoming a very weird place and not one that is particularly desirable to live in.

AkaAkuma

Is anybody familiar on the data behind the debate?

What are the reasons for abortion
What lengths were taken to prevent conception

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
‘Greatest Country on Earth’ they scream.

So fecking naive.

So backwards and depressing.

Frosty

Is anybody familiar on the data behind the debate?

What are the reasons for abortion
What lengths were taken to prevent conception
Here are some.

Key statistics on abortion:
  • One in three women in the UK will have an abortion during their lifetime
  • One in six pregnancies among women in Britain is unplanned
  • One in 60 women in Britain will experience an unplanned pregnancy in a year
  • Approximately 180,000 abortions take place in England and Wales every year
  • More than 50% of women in England and Wales who have an abortion are already mothers
  • The estimated annual number of abortions worldwide is about 56 million a year
  • One in four pregnancies worldwide end in abortion.
https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/news/2017-10-12-1-3-women-uk-will-have-abortion-so-why-it-so-secret

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
There are people in power across the world who seem hellbent on pulling the world back to an era of oppression and persecution. They're terrified of how people have united under the vision of equality and freedom and seem determined to use every power and weapon they have to pull us back. Be that through religion, political propaganda or violence. It's not just America suffering from these fecking assholes, but it certainly seems more extreme over there. They're hiding behind the use of the bible but it's ultimately all about control.

It's such an extreme country, with wildly different views on life. It wouldn't surprise me if in my lifetime the country splits into two. These abortion laws are so archaic and it seems like it's just the start too. Feel so sorry for Americans who disagree with this. So utterly helpless.

Andersonson

Here are some.

Key statistics on abortion:
  • One in three women in the UK will have an abortion during their lifetime
  • One in six pregnancies among women in Britain is unplanned
  • One in 60 women in Britain will experience an unplanned pregnancy in a year
  • Approximately 180,000 abortions take place in England and Wales every year
  • More than 50% of women in England and Wales who have an abortion are already mothers
  • The estimated annual number of abortions worldwide is about 56 million a year
  • One in four pregnancies worldwide end in abortion.
https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/news/2017-10-12-1-3-women-uk-will-have-abortion-so-why-it-so-secret
Those numbers are insane. Make no mistake, I am all for womens rights, but the numbers are high...

Women and men needs to take more responsibility when it comes to sex,don't want a kid? Use protection.

Abortions should be legal for any reasons until week 18, but we need to work to reduce the numbers. Maybe more sex education in schools, I don't know. But those numbers are really high and the costs are probably enormous

nimic

something nice
Scout
Which specific numbers do you consider insane? Without any historical data to compare with, it's basically impossible to draw any conclusions, IMO.

Also, keep in mind that all contraception has a measurable failure rate. If you're having sex, at some point you might get pregnant no matter the precautions and sex ed.

Dan_F

Those numbers are insane. Make no mistake, I am all for womens rights, but the numbers are high...

Women and men needs to take more responsibility when it comes to sex,don't want a kid? Use protection.

Abortions should be legal for any reasons until week 18, but we need to work to reduce the numbers. Maybe more sex education in schools, I don't know. But those numbers are really high and the costs are probably enormous
The costs are minimal compared to children being bought up in wrong environments, causing any number of issues further down the line for the kids or parents. In a lot of circumstances, getting an abortion is the responsible thing to do, so it’s funny you mention that word.

I don’t think the problem is lack of sex education :lol: Do you think the unplanned pregnancies are from people who don’t understand contraception?

The simple fact is there are so many possible reasons why a couple, or a woman, decide to get an abortion. Trying to put it down to lack of responsibility or eduction is actually insulting.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

You can multiply them by 10 and I don’t care.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I can't help but think this is a tactic to discourage blue voters from migrating to red states. I've already seen Reddit comments hinting at exactly that, saying they won't take job opportunities in red states.

I think the Republicans realize the demographics do not really favor them and they're resorting to extreme measures. Abortion illegality is one of them.

Or...they're just truly this batshit crazy. Which isn't exactly a more comforting explanation either.