ACTUAL POLL thread - how do you feel about potential Qatari ownership?

How do you feel about Qatari ownership

• Total voters

croadyman

Agreed.

State backed ownership should have never been allowed in, but it’s too late to close that door.

Qatar done a fantastic job with the World Cup.
Yeah they shouldn't have let it happen with City in the first place and then again with Newcastle,so know it's the wrong mentality but now reached the may as well join them phase.

Møllemanden

The only difference between United and Newcastle, PSG and City will be the name. And I don't want to be a part of that. I love Man United and have been a supporter for 30 years. But, to me, a football club should not be a tool to anyone trying to promote their own agenda. Doesn't matter if other teams are doing it too. It's just not for me.

The fifth voting option is missing.

Last edited:

croadyman

I dont know how you can have no reservations about the club being owned by murderous scumbags
I do have reservations about that sort of ownership,however unlike many in Whitwell's poll I do about how Ratcliffe is financing his bid.

Rolaholic

The whole debate or notion surrounding potential takeovers regarding 'real fans’ is all getting a bit ludicrous and tedious isn’t it?

People who are fine with state ownership and people who aren’t… they are both valid fans. They both have their own reasons for their positions and are entitled to them.

It's really not as deep as many try to make it out to be especially regarding something that normal people like us and most fans have absolutely zero control over...

Last edited:

croadyman

This definitely confirms that unlike the manager our fanbase will be remaining on the ownership

caid

I'll probably still watch us for a time. I'll just take another step towards giving up on the sport. I'm pretty sure i'm running out of steps.
The first bit of feckery will probably drive me to the exit

surf

Will still be a fan. My reservations are the same as Barney Ronay's in the Graun - whether they would be effective owners or would we descend into another circus club like PSG.

CloneMC16

My only issue is they try and turn us into a galatico club. We don't need big signings for the sake of it. Put together a proper team and ETH will cook.

If they do the rest of the things the statement says, they will be great owners.

croadyman

My only issue is they try and turn us into a galatico club. We don't need big signings for the sake of it. Put together a proper team and ETH will cook.

If they do the rest of the things the statement says, they will be great owners.
Their statement says IF successful they don't intend on turning us into a galactico club,however know that is probably just PR

Dve

For me, it's a big "no thank you" to the oil money, which should have been in possession of the country, not the leaders of the country.

Still, when Rashford and co. are running out on the pitch, it's impossible not to share for them to win; after all, I've been a United fan since late 70-ties. I'm worried though, how such an ownership would affect the ability to attract new fans. A lot of people have antipathy towards PSG and City for one specific reason.

Loony BoB

I waver between the second and fourth options on the poll personally. I don't think they're that much worse than most other potential buyers because my general opinion is that if any multibillionaire were able to get away with human rights abuse they almost certainly would. I just don't have much faith in the richest people in the world. I'd much prefer the German way for all English clubs, with the 50+1 rule of fan ownership. But that's not the situation we're in, so I am basically like "well, whatever, nothing I can personally do to change this situation right now" and generally will just hope that we stay competitive. Being super-rich doesn't guarantee anything. I'm glad we'll be debt free and I'm glad we'll see investment in the club. What happens later on is anyone's guess. I don't like the Glazers but I do worry that this might tamper with our current momentum - but hopefully not. Football is crazy, you never know what's coming next.

SAFMUTD

We don't need the money. To have all this baggage added to the club and no proper upside is saddening to me.
You seriously see no upside from Qatar owning us?

I guess PSG has proven nothing. They're the same old club from 12 years ago, absolutely no upside from Qatar taking over.

Ffs

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

I guess PSG has proven nothing. They're the same old club from 12 years ago, absolutely no upside from Qatar taking over.

Ffs
We're not what PSG were 12 years ago. We're the biggest club in the richest league in the world.

We have no need to become a fecking galactico clownshow.

wolvored

We need someone with big deep pockets, because even generating our own money has plateaued. We would never get the infastructure and debt down, whilst still buying some good and some WC players with the wages to compete at the top. Ratcliffe and reading about how he operates Nice doesnt fill me with confidence, so or me Qatari's it is.

wolvored

Bloody hell. One in every eight fans voting in the poll at the moment would be done with the club.

That is… insane really. Heartbreaking this whole thing.
Dont believe it. Its easy to say now, harder to do long term. Especially as were now playing well and going for trophies.

downunder red

Bring it on, I say, bring it on!!! No more leeching Glazers. I'm so happy I might go for a walk.

On a serious note. As long as they don't fiddle the books like City's owners have and let the club run on it's own merits I'll be happy.
If they get rid of the debt and invest in a new stadium and training grounds. How could you not be happy?
As to what they do back in their own country, maybe having a billion fans talking and not liking what they do may help to bring change.

Right. I'm off for my walk.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
The only reservations I have is if they would interfere with the squad building process. ETH did such a fine job with the Ronaldo situation and once again highlighted that being a colossal name isn't enough. But to automatically assume they would do such a thing because they do it at PSG is a bit too premature. The Ligue 1 needs it, because it's a dead league (sorry). Man Utd is the biggest club in the world and plays in the best and most competitive league in the world, they don't need to go that extra mile by getting 34y/o washed up legends like they do at PSG.

I hope our new owners understand that all they need to do is to just let our baldy cook.

RopersReturn

Seriously sceptical about the Qataris buying us from what I’ve read so far. Plus they’re likely blow all the other bids out of the water, such is their wealth, but I don’t want us to be run like PSG. All the diligent hard work that Ten Hag has accomplished could be under serious threat if they become our new owners.

RopersReturn

The only reservations I have is if they would interfere with the squad building process. ETH did such a fine job with the Ronaldo situation and once again highlighted that being a colossal name isn't enough. But to automatically assume they would do such a thing because they do it at PSG is a bit too premature. The Ligue 1 needs it, because it's a dead league (sorry). Man Utd is the biggest club in the world and plays in the best and most competitive league in the world, they don't need to go that extra mile by getting 34y/o washed up legends like they do at PSG.

I hope our new owners understand that all they need to do is to just let our baldy cook.
Exactly, this is my concern too.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Exactly. Comparing viable recruitment strategies for PSG vs United is ridiculous, and even then it's not like PSG pulled a Chelsea and just bought every player that came on the market. Much of their recruitment was more shrewd that people think, and it's really just the Neymar/Mbappe deals that have people thinking they are full on galaticos 2.0.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Exactly. Comparing viable recruitment strategies for PSG vs United is ridiculous, and even then it's not like PSG pulled a Chelsea and just bought every player that came on the market. Much of their recruitment was more shrewd that people think, and it's really just the Neymar/Mbappe deals that have people thinking they are full on galaticos 2.0.
I agree I think PSG have always made very good moves (and fast too!) but it's the ones like Messi and Ramos that are headscratchers to me. It's fun for Ligue 1 since they need the viewership but we don't need that circus. Deliver us Bellingham and Osimhen/Vlahovic and we're fine, heh.

SAFMUTD

We're not what PSG were 12 years ago. We're the biggest club in the richest league in the world.

Yet we've been almost trophy less since the Fergie days. We're a big club based on the past.

HILLSIDE

I voted for Fine, but have some reservations.

Reservations are:

- Clears our debt, invests in our clubs infrastructure. Applies to all bidders.
- Play by the rules (FA, UEFA, FIFA, etc are the ones who need to improve the rules). Applies to all bidders.
- I understand that our club generates enough of our own income currently. In case that changes in the future would prefer rich enough owners who could invest their own income. Applies to all bidders.
- I also don't think our club's philosophies will change much under any new ownership. It's heavily ingrained and surely that's one of the reasons for investment/new ownership.

Earthmoxie123

If the only two options are INEOS and Qatar, I rather have Qatar. Both petrochemical companies and Qatar rank as equally morally bankrupt to me anyway.

Lost bear

It’s about time we had a poll to canvass opinions on RedCafe. I have made it as binary as possible.

Messed the other one up!
' Not happy, will still support the team'. As for the club, that's a tough one.

Roboc7

I am not happy about it but reality is Qatari money is all around us and already well established. I don’t give much thought to their ownership of Sainsbury’s, Heathrow Airport, Canary Wharf despite using them so any boycott would have to include a lot more than Utd to be consistent.

I didn’t like the World Cup being in Qatar and wasn’t looking forward to it in the same way would normally. Once it started though I just enjoyed the football, being honest that’s what would happen if they do end up owning It’s as well.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Bloody hell. One in every eight fans voting in the poll at the moment would be done with the club.

That is… insane really. Heartbreaking this whole thing.
I doubt it'll be that way in reality. I reckon a lot them will just be less engaged and feel achievements are tarnished, rather than walking away totally.
I'm in that camp- it's hard to just turn off support for the club you've invested so much loyalty and emotion in for decades.
Sad that finally getting rid of the Glazers is not cause for cheer.

Abhinav

As long as the club is run sensibly and is allowed to spend within its means, I have no issue with the Qatar bid.

Also, I may not be looking too closely, but if a non football fan, without any knowledge of the ownership, would be viewing a PSG or a Man City football game, would they even realize that they are owned by nation funds? As long as ownership does not negatively affect my fan experience I am not really bothered by who owns the club.

Strelok

Agree.

Imo of course theoretically we'll become much stronger financially but the success on the field is not guaranteed at all.

PSG became the monopoly they're atm in the L1 simply because they're the only club with that kind of money there. It's of course not the same in the PL.

If they run us as they did with PSG imo it'd be very difficult for us to win the PL or CL again. Buying the big names then let the managers figuring out how to fit all that big names into a squad and make that squad functional enough to compete with the likes of Bayern is just impossible. Or let the players became bigger than the manager and the club. Football is still a team game after all. Money can buy you wins but only to a certain extent.

ScholesyTheWise

I doubt it'll be that way in reality. I reckon a lot them will just be less engaged and feel achievements are tarnished, rather than walking away totally.
I'm in that camp- it's hard to just turn off support for the club you've invested so much loyalty and emotion in for decades.
Sad that finally getting rid of the Glazers is not cause for cheer.
Same here. Hate football as a sport already,
But I won't be able to stop being a fan.
I'll try my best to stop being a supporter, but even with that, I doubt I'll seriously succeed.

Our achievements will 100% be tarnished.

troylocker

I'm curious whether any season ticket holders are planning to cancel if the Qatar deal goes through.
….or whether any players, staff or coaches quit because they don’t want to be tools for sportswashing

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Ffs
PSG are shite mate. All that money and they have that lazy front three and haven’t won anything outside of their league. They’re an embarrassment.

I’m loving my life

Any trophies we win will be tarnished?

How many of the last ten leagues have been won by City or Chelsea?

The FA cup and League Cup?

Even the CL isn’t out of bounds.

Trophies are already well tarnished by clubs in a much more artificial position

frostbite

If Qatar buys the club, and since the Qatari royal family is a few thousand people if I am not mistaken ... perhaps they should give the team to a Qatari woman? I am sure that out of the thousands of Royals, they have some educated and qualified women. This would be kind of progress I guess...

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If Qatar buys the club, and since the Qatari royal family is a few thousand people if I am not mistaken ... perhaps they should give the team to a Qatari woman? I am sure that out of the thousands of Royals, they have some educated and qualified women. This would be kind of progress I guess...
Nice idea. Similarly, any group of thousands of people would have a few hundred gay people. It would also be a nice gesture for one of them to get the top job.
A real gesture of progress and good faith.