Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
19 year old players don't develop by sitting on the substitutes bench. That excuse is paltry. Rooney, Ronaldo, Fabregas and Messi weren't sat on the bench at that age, and neither were many other players now currently near the summit of the game. Januzaj should be playing fairly regularly and if and when we finish top four this season, Van Gaal should be doing all he can to build the team around him going forward. We have an exceptional talent at the club and we should never be left to wonder what if. I'm not worried yet, though, I just don't agree that rest is best.
I'm not worried yet. It's still early days. If he still hasn't featured much by December, then I'd start asking questions. As it stands, it's understandable that he's behind Rooney/Mata, which makes crashing out of the COC even more frustrating. We're facing difficult opposition in the next month so it'll also be unlikely that he'll feature much then as I'm sure LVG wants a settled, strongest 11.

He did look burned out near the end of last season so it's understandable that the club wants to make sure that they don't Sterling him. I'm sure Giggs of all people would know how to manage Januzaj given the similarities between the two of them at that stage in their careers.

Manucho the boss

Yes, if he's not a prima donna. As long as he's being given assurances by LVG, which I assume he is. He's been given the No11 shirt, which is a fairly big gesture of faith, put under the tutelage of Giggs and given constant game time in the U21s, which to me shows that LVG wants to keep him fit, active and playing regularly. Everyone's getting completely carried away with the lack of starts for a precocious young talent half of you hadn't heard of this time last year. After 6 games of a new season.
I suppose you've known him since he was a young boy have you?

You being happy with him playing U21's and him being happy with it are very different things.

Hal9000

He didn't play in cm vs Valencia. That was his only pre-season match. He played cm vs Sunderland and looked meh. You could tell he wasn't used to the position and it certainly isn't a position that gets the best out of him.
Fair enough, although think he may do better in the 4-3-3 diamond than he did in the 3-5-2. In 3-5-2 he's almost a holding midfielder. How ever with the 4-3-3- with Blind behind him, he's probably got more license to attack. As said i think he could do a similar job to Di Maria on that right side.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I suppose you've known him since he was a young boy have you?
Not at all, I only really heard of him towards the end of Fergie's last season. Which is precisely why I'm not throwing a fit because he's not an automatic starter yet.

You being happy with him playing U21's and him being happy with it are very different things.
Neither here nor there really. Even if he has decided that one season of top flight football should afford him a regular berth at 19, the club shouldn't be bending to his whims.

Redo91

Should be played ahead of Mata on Sunday. I prefer Mata at this minute in time but it's clear he doesn't feature in LVG's plans in the long term. Whether LVG has the balls to make such a decision remains to be seen.

Bwuk

Januzaj to take Herreras position against Everton please

Bwuk

Why? He's not a CM.

You rather put ADM in CM and play Januzaj further up
AdM plays the same position Herrera does just on the side of the diamond. Januzaj on the right can do a similar job to what AdM does on the left and he'll be able to run at this Everton defence, which has been pretty poor this year. Fletcher would just put us on the back track on that side offering no penetration. I'd rather Januzaj, Pereira, Fellaini or Anderson on that side than Fletcher who's finished imo.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
AdM plays the same position Herrera does just on the side of the diamond. Januzaj on the right can do a similar job to what AdM does on the left and he'll be able to run at this Everton defence, which has been pretty poor this year. Fletcher would just put us on the back track on that side offering no penetration. I'd rather Januzaj, Pereira, Fellaini or Anderson on that side than Fletcher who's finished imo.
He does not. Herrera is playing box to box, something ADM is not. Januzaj cant play that position, he's an attacking midfielder

Bwuk

He does not. Herrera is playing box to box, something ADM is not. Januzaj cant play that position, he's an attacking midfielder
Yes he does, AdM just plays it differently than Herrera due to their skill sets. Both are the side midfielders in the diamond.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You could argue the play the same "position", but are doing different roles.

LR7

They do play the same position (on opposite sides of the diamond), they just carry out their roles differently due to their different strengths.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yes he does, AdM just plays it differently than Herrera due to their skill sets. Both are the side midfielders in the diamond.
Maybe if you look at the team sheet that is shown on Skysports but obviously not during the actual game

wiz4231

It may look that way on paper but on the pitch Blind (Pearson) plays the Defensive midfielder, Herrera (Pereira) plays box to box midfielder and Di Maria (Januzaj) plays the attacking midfielder. Either Januzaj plays in Di Maria's position or #10, he can't play the box to box role.

Bwuk

I'd say if you look at the heat maps, and disregard the names, you'd see he plays on the right of the diamond. He moves across when AdM moves out towards the left, and vice versa, it's AdM is far more comfortable in wide areas than Herrera.

ZDwyr

Don't want Adnan to replace Herrera. Doesn't have the defensive mindset and Everton will test us defensively at certain points.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Anyone else tired of people saying we cant play X Player here or X Player there because we're playing some midtable team? feck it. Januzaj needs to play, and so help me if I have to see Valencia start on Sunday.

jeff_goldblum

I'd personally start Mata, but on the basis that if he doesn't impress Januzaj is hot on his heels and will start the next game. Both players should react well to a bit of competition.

The same should apply to all of our forwards though, I'm a little uncomfortable about how all our three strikers seem to be bulletproof selection-wise, for various reasons. If LVG doesn't want to drop RVP, Rooney or Falcao there's simply no place in the first team for Mata or Januzaj. 1 or 2 of the strikers will have to be dropped in order for either of those two to start regularly.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He should play more. He's not ready to be a number 10. He is effective playing wide. He isn't a Lennon type winger but can beat his man easily.

Sam

I'd quite like to see Januzaj given a chance in that #10 role sooner rather then later.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I'd quite like to see Januzaj given a chance in that #10 role sooner rather then later.
He should start the next game in place of Mata or maybe RVP. His dynamism would make us even more dangerous going forward imo.

Sam

He should start the next game in place of Mata or maybe RVP. His dynamism would make us even more dangerous going forward imo.
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines, the only thing is our next game is away, so I think LVG will stick with Mata, and then its Chelsea.

Devil may care

Januzaj is very confident, I don't think playing away to West Brom would be an issue for him, I'd play him instead of Mata.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines, the only thing is our next game is away, so I think LVG will stick with Mata, and then its Chelsea.
Yeah, but there are always a hundred reasons not to take a chance. If we somehow dont get a result against WBA, it in all likelihood wont be as a result of Januzaj.

Sometimes I think people don't remember how good Adnan is. He was our second best outfielder last year FFS, and now he cant get a look in.

Throw him in, and let him stake his claim to a place.

SteveW

Januzaj is very confident, I don't think playing away to West Brom would be an issue for him, I'd play him instead of Mata.
Yeah, but there are always a hundred reasons not to take a chance. If we somehow dont get a result against WBA, it in all likelihood wont be as a result of Januzaj.

Sometimes I think people don't remember how good Adnan is. He was our second best outfielder last year FFS, and now he cant get a look in.

Throw him in, and let him stake his claim to a place.
Totally agree. It should be picked on merit. That can't happen when players are just ignored and not given an opportunity. He's one of the best 5 players in the club imo and can barely get a look in. Doesn't seem right when the likes of Mata and RVP are doing feck all and getting plenty of starts.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Anyone else thought it was a bit harsh to bring on Wilson ahead of Januzaj?

In Rainbows

Would like to see Adnan play in the #10 position next match. Mata can play the Chelsea match. Adnan has shown good passing ability and a first touch in the #10 role. The only thing he needs to learn in that role (for first team) is how to find himself in better spaces to receive the ball more often. If you think back on his performances in that role, he never does bad. He only goes quiet at times.

He's the youngster that deserves the most time due to his talent, his past season, and his current performances for the u21s.

Silverman

Januzaj needs to be given some game time. We can't leave him sitting on the bench. He needs to keep developing.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Anyone else thought it was a bit harsh to bring on Wilson ahead of Januzaj?
On one hand, yes. Januzaj has done more, way more, to show he's worthy of time on the pitch.

However, you wont ever catch me complaining about putting another prospect such as Wilson out there. I love seeing academy players given a shot. What I cant stand is seeing players given automatic starts based on past accolades.

Status
Not open for further replies.