Adnan Januzaj - Real Sociedad player

The Bloody-Nine

Yes and I watch non-uk television stations. What are you finding so hard to understand here? Nowhere did I say they were specifically televised on UK tv stations.
No, you didn't. You said they were televised. I said they aren't televised in the UK. You then told me you've been streaming them. For some bizarre reason.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Great argument, guys. The Bloody-Nine in particular is really shining brightly for taking time out of his busy day to lay claim to such an important aspect of the discussion

The Bloody-Nine

Great argument, guys. The Bloody-Nine in particular is really shining brightly for taking time out of his busy day to lay claim to such an important aspect of the discussion
Thanks, man. I appreciate that you included the hyphen. Other people omit it and it really burns my ass.

stevoc

No he’s not. Januzaj is an average professional footballer who was incredibly overrated by us primarily because we wanted to grab hold of some form of optimism during a terrible time for the club.
Yeah he might well be despite his talent, but the sad thing is if Januzaj is average i'm not sure what that makes Lingard.

NotQuiteManc

Good for him. Talented (still), just need to improve his application/attitude, perhaps workrate and confidence.

kundalini

I'm a big Januzaj fan but until today's match, I've not been that impressed by his performances for Real Sociedad, in one game he had an empty net to aim at from a slight angle, so long as he used his right foot, instead he used his left, making it far more difficult to score given the position of the defender and managed to bend the ball so he missed the near post; it was the sort of error that would have been annoying from a talented, one-footed, 15 year old. Through on goal in another recent game, on his right foot, ordinary finish straight at the keeper. Looked fantastic today, all the skills we saw in his first season at United.

Swift Football

One of the problems with Januzaj was that he did not have a set position. Its good to be versatile but before that a player needs to have a defined identity/role. I am not sure what Januzaj was? A SS or an attacking midfielder, traditional winger or inside forward. He has some good qualities ( dribbling, can use both feet , set pieces) but he lacked many others ( finishing, general passing , pace) to excel at any position.

In Moyes season, probably he was one of the very few positives. Even though it was always in doubt that he would make it at United, I thought he would do well in medium sized clubs. It was sometimes joy to watch him gliding past opponents so easily even though he was not the fastest. He is still a young player and has time for improvement.

San Diego Red

In his last couple of game he’s played on both wings, think there manger really believes in him. His under standing with his teammates has improved as well, especially in their timing

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He has the potential to be a really good player. Does he have the mentality though? I hope he gets on really well. It’s cool watching young players develop to a high standard. As anyone who keeps an eye on our youth teams can see- it’s nearly impossible to tell who’ll make it but adnan always looked like a standout player. 1 or 2 good seasons and he’s worth 30 million and another bigger club may take a punt.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nominated for La Liga player of the month:

NotQuiteManc

It will be good for his confidence. Hope he will find his feet and go on to become the player we all wanted (hoped) him to be.

Nucks

RT History Department
Think he's going to be a late bloomer. Everyone that's worked with him has said that it's his attitude that's let him down, not his ability.
He could be one of those players whose self confidence is predicated on the confidence the coaching staff has in him. If he feels like the coaches are confident in him, he plays to his potential. If he doesn't, he stagnates. It's a pretty common trait for athletes. Ronaldo types are pretty rare, who have an unwavering self belief.

San Diego Red

Martial does have the pace but Januzaj has the vision/through balls and he's on a totally different planet with them.
Yes but for playing on the wing I rather have someone with Martial’s skill set then Januzaj, they both can beat a man but you need pace out wide. In the 10 tho Januzaj wins hands down. The real factor is there defense work rate which I give the slightest edge to Januzaj.

Oakie

Yeah he might well be despite his talent, but the sad thing is if Januzaj is average i'm not sure what that makes Lingard.
Januzaj is gifted that's for sure but it means nothing if you don't work hard i would have Lingard over him all day as there is more to football than looking flash.

San Diego Red

Januzaj is gifted that's for sure but it means nothing if you don't work hard i would have Lingard over him all day as there is more to football than looking flash.
That’s a little misleading because
Lingard is a team, Januzaj is a individualist. Paul scholes said it best Jesse best asset is his movement and pressing. Januzaj assets are his vision and dribbling. In a team like Mourinho’s Jesse is all ways going to look and preform better. Jesse = boring Januzaj = excitement. You can win with both but one is risky then the other.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Better dust off that buy-back option? There was a buy-back option right? :nervous:

It's a long way to go before he proves he has the right temperament for a big club, but I like seeing him do well. If he grows the feck up Id love to see him back here tearing it up.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Better dust off that buy-back option? There was a buy-back option right? :nervous:

It's a long way to go before he proves he has the right temperament for a big club, but I like seeing him do well. If he grows the feck up Id love to see him back here tearing it up.
Yep, we have according to The Guardian. He's still got the time and talent to become a great player. I think he's at a good club to showcase it as well, Griezmann managed to anyway.

Had a fantastic performance here, looked every bit the player he was in that 2013 season but with sharper end product:

The assist at 2:08. :eek:

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yes but for playing on the wing I rather have someone with Martial’s skill set then Januzaj, they both can beat a man but you need pace out wide. In the 10 tho Januzaj wins hands down. The real factor is there defense work rate which I give the slightest edge to Januzaj.
I think Januzaj on the wings makes no real sense. He's a number 10/central player all day for me.

EDIT: I also think Martial can be a beast striker. I rate him very high as well but on a pure talent basis, I still think Januzaj wins.

Just to clear myself, I am not saying we made a mistake when we offloaded him. He didn't perform well when he had the chance at Sunderland so I don't blame the club but personally I still think he will bloom later on

stevoc

Thats fair enough mate but it's better to have talent and work hard, hard work alone will only get a player so far. Certainly at United's level anyway, where there really is or should be no room for pure grafters.

Now unlike a lot of people on here i don't claim to know if Januzaj has or has not worked hard over the last few years, but if he hasn't it's an aspect of his game that can be easily improved. It's certainly easier for Januzaj to work as hard as Lingard than it is for Lingard to become as talented as Januzaj.

And also lets not forget the age difference in the two players that are being compared here, Lingard is 25 this month and Januzaj is i think 22. So lets see where Adnan is in 2-3 years and see if he has managed to apply a bit of graft to go along with his obvious talent.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Janujaz is hugely talented. Definitely think he has the natural ability of a top player. But Martial is better even in that respect. He has the technical skills as well as the physical qualifies and end product.

marktan

The Spanish league suits him better, it's not as physical and more based on skill so it suits him as he still has a pretty light frame. He's been doing well though in pretty much every match he's played. He really does remind me of a slightly taller David Silva, he has the ability to turn from trouble and pick a pass. What he really needs is experience and consistency, 2-3 years of regular football and Sociedad will do him the world of good.

Ram1fy

Do people watch our club play? How is Januzaj better than Martial?!!

Dion

Lingard is a far better player than Januzaj, Martial is in a different stratosphere.

San Diego Red

Lingard is a far better player than Januzaj, Martial is in a different stratosphere.
No Januzaj could do things with an orange that Lingard couldn’t with a ball.
As far as Martial, Januzaj would have to preform at a consistent level for at least a year, for there to be a real conversation.