Adnan Januzaj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinky Melinky

He neither is as strong or as fast as Ronaldo. His passing is better than Ronaldo's though and his decision making will be better than Ronaldo's.

I think that he can become as good as Ozil/Silva (2011-2012) which is still great.
Ronaldo got seriously fecking strong in the years he played for us. When he first came to Old Trafford he was actually quite slight. There's hope yet for Januzaj, and boy what a joy to watch. It makes it all so exciting. Feeling good about this guy

I'm keen to see how he plays against better teams. We should all enjoy seeing such young talent, but I'd probably hold off on the hype for a bit.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The thing I like most about Januzaj is that I can't compare him to anyone!

Often you get a 'new Ronaldinho' 'new Ronaldo' 'new Messi' and they never make the grade. With Januzaj he seems to have a uniqueness about him and those are the players who tend to set the new standard. I hope he makes it.

I don't think he plays anything like many players around right now, but there's something about him that reminds me of Le Tissier (without the laziness). Adnan isn't really that quick, but he just seems to dance through players like they're not even there. His control and the way he weaves the ball around his feet is astounding. And he does it without any real trickery or flashiness. Just quickness of thought.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only thing he is sort of lacking is pace, that burst of acceleration that the Ronaldos and the Neymars had when they were his age. But he still looks like a top top player and hopefully he will continue to improve and grow.
He's still really quick, deceptively fast. He's not lacking in pace at all IMO. He doesn't need to have the type of pace Ronaldo or Neymar have because of the way he plays. What attacking midfielder like him has Ronaldo or Neymar like pace? Look at the best or most promising ones right now, Ozil, Isco, Mata, Iniesta, Silva, Gotze, Cazorla, etc. None of them you would say are lighting quick, and none of them are slow at all either. Januzaj is probably quicker then all of them as well, so him lacking in pace isn't really a problem.

Also, he doesn't need to bulk up even. A player like him, the way he plays, needs to be rather slight but tough. If he bulked up he would lose a lot of that agility he has now. People get too caught up in United youngsters bulking up and becoming a physical beast like Ronaldo did, but really, for a player as talented as Januzaj, it would be better if he didn't become like that physically IMO, because they are completely different types of players. Could anyone ever see Ronaldo being a tricky playmaker or a #10, playing clever passes all the time and having his deftness? No, he was a quick tricky winger who relies on a combination of his skill and physique.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Yeah he's far quicker than the likes of Mata and Silva and glides past people with consummate ease.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Ronaldo got seriously fecking strong in the years he played for us. When he first came to Old Trafford he was actually quite slight. There's hope yet for Januzaj, and boy what a joy to watch. It makes it all so exciting. Feeling good about this guy

I'm keen to see how he plays against better teams. We should all enjoy seeing such young talent, but I'd probably hold off on the hype for a bit.

The thing is no matter what the occasion he's played exactly the same way.

Love his first touch. It seems like half the time he decides to bring the ball down at stupidly awkward angles just 'cause he can.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
For me, he's Ballon d'Or material. There, I said it, it may bite me in the arse in a few years time (I don't mean now of course), but I really think he's got what it takes to be the best.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He seems to beat players with skill rather than his pace. Always a good sign. I just can't put my finger on who he reminds me of.

kundalini

I don't see the point of playing him in League Cup games. It was clearly an error not to have him play from the start of the season; he's that good. Use him in the serious matches. Take him off if we ever get a big lead. If his performance level drops then rest him.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He doesn't lack pace, it's clear from the amount of times he bursts away from players.
Definitely doesn't lack pace, and doesn't seem that weak either despite his build (I mean he's no Valencia of course but it looks like he can handle himself). There was an instance in second half, begun on the halfway line, he got on the ball, burst past a Norwich mannequi... player, brushed him off by shaping his body so that he'd have his shoulder to block the passage, and then sprinted off (finising with a shot just off target).

bosnian_red

The thing is no matter what the occasion he's played exactly the same way.

Love his first touch. It seems like half the time he decides to bring the ball down at stupidly awkward angles just 'cause he can.
Yup, some were saying from pre season I remember to not expect him to make the same sort of impact in the league games, or to not expect him to look so good every time, that there will be frustrating performances. He's not that type of player at all though. I'd understand it if it was said about Zaha, but with Januzaj, he is so good on the ball and such an intelligent player, that those player hardly ever have those games where they frustrate you. He picks out the right option most of the time, and you can tell when he's on the wing he holds on to the ball sometimes waiting to spot a player to pass to, rather then just blindly hit it in like Young does 99% of the time.
He plays the same way every match, no matter the opposition and the only way those types of players have shit games really is if they get double or triple teamed, or bullied out of the match by getting injured or something, but even then you just don't notice them too much rather then them frustrating you.

Rossa

Very true that. Ronaldo wasn't even that fast when he came to United - quicker than Januzaj, but not like he is now. There is no doubt that Januzaj can work on these things, and that will only make him even better. That said, he seems to glide past players with ease anyhow; maybe he doesn't need that explosive pace.

bosnian_red

Very true that. Ronaldo wasn't even that fast when he came to United - quicker than Januzaj, but not like he is now. There is no doubt that Januzaj can work on these things, and that will only make him even better. That said, he seems to glide past players with ease anyhow; maybe he doesn't need that explosive pace.
I don't think him bulking up will make him any better really. His style of play doesn't call for him to be strong physically. He just needs to be tough on the ball and be able to ride challenges, sort of like Ramires does, or Messi. Both small and skinny but not weak. If he got bulked up like Ronaldo then he would definitely lose a lot of the deftness he has in his play now, and his agility.

fergieisold

Definitely doesn't lack pace, and doesn't seem that weak either despite his build (I mean he's no Valencia of course but it looks like he can handle himself). There was an instance in second half, begun on the halfway line, he got on the ball, burst past a Norwich mannequi... player, brushed him off by shaping his body so that he'd have his shoulder to block the passage, and then sprinted off (finising with a shot just off target).

Just seems to me that he uses his pace when needed, but as it turns out his technique on the ball means he glides past players anyway and doesn't need to use it all that often.

Ole'sbodyguard

I don't see the point of playing him in League Cup games. It was clearly an error not to have him play from the start of the season; he's that good. Use him in the serious matches. Take him off if we ever get a big lead. If his performance level drops then rest him.

All starts are good experience for him and after Kagawa was given a start against Stoke, he had to start today.

I have not watched the match but I take it he started behind Hernandez. Pity we were not live. Would have liked to see have that.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yup, some were saying from pre season I remember to not expect him to make the same sort of impact in the league games, or to not expect him to look so good every time, that there will be frustrating performances. He's not that type of player at all though. I'd understand it if it was said about Zaha, but with Januzaj, he is so good on the ball and such an intelligent player, that those player hardly ever have those games where they frustrate you. He picks out the right option most of the time, and you can tell when he's on the wing he holds on to the ball sometimes waiting to spot a player to pass to, rather then just blindly hit it in like Young does 99% of the time.
He plays the same way every match, no matter the opposition and the only way those types of players have shit games really is if they get double or triple teamed, or bullied out of the match by getting injured or something, but even then you just don't notice them too much rather then them frustrating you.
To be fair, that is simply too soon to say, because until now he has not played against a real top class defense. Formations, which have the ability to put enourmous amounts of pressure on single players. There are for example several systems which are build to immediatly double dangerous players, the most obvious being high movement and pressing systems (e.g. Barcelona, Bayern, Dortmund). He has also yet to show that his ability to glide past opposition works against high calibre defenders, who have better anticipation, positioning and tackling abilities than the ones he faced so far.

Januzaj has immense potential and talent. That is plain to see for everyone with a little knowledge about this sport. It is also understandable and completely fine to get excited as a supporter about such a shining prospect. Some put the bar very high already, though. On the last pages he was compared to Cruyff, Best or Ronaldo and named him as a potential Ball d´or winner. Predictions like that come too early IMO.

It would probably be wise to wait at least until the end of the season. By then, we will know way more about him, because he will hopefully have gotten the chance to test his skills vs. the top competition in the EPL and perhaps even in the CL. He will also have had the opportunity to show consistence over a longer time span and how he handles things when not everything runs smoothly for him.

bosnian_red

To be fair, that is simply too soon to say, because until now he has not played against a real top class defense. Formations, which have the ability to put enourmous amounts of pressure on single players. There are for example several systems which are build to immediatly double dangerous players, the most obvious being high movement and pressing systems (e.g. Barcelona, Bayern, Dortmund). He has also yet to show that his ability to glide past opposition works against high calibre defenders, who have better anticipation, positioning and tackling abilities than the ones he faced so far.

Januzaj has immense potential and talent. That is plain to see for everyone with a little knowledge about this sport. It is also understandable and completely fine to get excited as a supporter about such a shining prospect. Some put the bar very high already, though. On the last pages he was compared to Cruyff, Best or Ronaldo and named him as a potential Ball d´or winner. Predictions like that come too early IMO.

It would probably be wise to wait at least until the end of the season. By then, we will know way more about him, because he will hopefully have gotten the chance to test his skills vs. the top competition in the EPL and perhaps even in the CL. He will also have had the opportunity to show consistence over a longer time span and how he handles things when not everything runs smoothly for him.
I agree completely, probably was too soon to say no matter the opposition, but as of now, he's had pretty much the same high standard of performance against anyone he's played. I meant it more like that his type of players in general (Gotze, Ozil, Isco, Silva) they don't really have poor games per se where they have poor decision making and are frustrating to watch. Them having poor games is more due to the opposition shutting them out of the game and them just not being able to get too involved.

jb8521

One thing which hasnt really been mentioned is the quality of his long range passing, if youre watching the game on TV when he picks it up deep and looks up its reminiscent of Scholes in that its almost inevitable that its going to be almost perfect even if you cant actually see the player hes playing the ball to on screen

Donut

One thing which hasnt really been mentioned is the quality of his long range passing, if youre watching the game on TV when he picks it up deep and looks up its reminiscent of Scholes in that its almost inevitable that its going to be almost perfect even if you cant actually see the player hes playing the ball to on screen

Absolutely. He really has it all. I start to giggle like a little girl when I think of him.

The Neviller

Pure class this kid. He just glides past players like they aren't even there. At 18 you could forgive him for being on the periphery of things, but when he plays he's right in the thick of it and involved in most of our good play.

He's going to be something very special if he keeps progressing.

Longlivekeano

He plays like a classic playmaker no. 10 of the 1980s, 1990s. Like continental European players like Gheorge Hagi, Roberto Baggio, Del Piero who simply dribbles past players without much stepovers, but rather through shoulder feints and drops. Has ability to pick a throughball.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Maybe too early but what the hell...

Gliding across the pitch
He'll drop a shoulder, shimmy, then switch
Januzaj, Januzaj
He's the reason Moyes didn't buy

Better than all the rest
With football talent he has been blessed
Opponents fear him, United cheer him
The amazing Januzaj!

When you need goals for a win,
He hasn't started? Then sub him in!
Januzaj, Januzaj
Quality that you can't deny!

Losing, he won't abide
No matter who, what, where, when or why
He'll beat defenders, thrill Stretford enders
The amazing Januzaj!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

This

Devil may care

I only saw the highlights but he looked to be involved in most of our best stuff and was controlling our attacks from the free role. The most impressive thing is his composure, and not just for his age, I've seen experienced players with less composure, plus he has a nice knack of just drifting into space to offer an option.

coolredwine

lameredboots
What I noticed during last night's match was, when Young got the ball, he took about 30 seconds to decide what to do, then dilly-dally alone on the left hand side and pass it back to Buttner/Cleverley. And as soon as Januzaj got the ball, 5 seconds and boom, he is inside the penalty area, stifling past the Norwich defenders with ease.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
When he fills out his pace will increase IMO.
Agreed, the guy is a stick. If he does manage to really put the muscle on the way Ronaldo did, he will have everything. His change of pace is incredible so it's scary to think how much stronger and quicker he can get in the coming years.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
The way he runs with the ball feinting left and right reminds me of Best. It's up to him now to get there, he has all the potential in the world.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
We absolutely MUST compare Januzaj with someone, it's in a supporters job description.

Here's my take: Rivaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.