Adrian Silva: arrives at Leicester 14 seconds too late

AgentP

Even a £40m fine wouldn't have deterred the likes of PSG from making the Neymar transfer happen, so you can end up giving the big spending clubs another advantage.
Yep, that's possible. But that's why I said the fine should be a percent of the transfer fee to make it more equitable.

AgentP

Imagine this: You were going to be on time for the bus with few minutes to spare. You tripped and injured your ankle, which sums up your day nicely having just earlier being made redundant from your job and also found out your partner was cheating on you when you called her to tell her the news. Dragging your sorry body to the bus stop hoping the day would end, you missed the bus by a mere 14 seconds and you saw the bus driver looking at you and drove off. It was dark. Suddenly there was a sharp pain coming from the back. You realised you have been stabbed and saw someone running off with your possession. Lights starting to fade out on you. And you asked yourself why oh why did the driver not waited the 14 seconds for you.
Well, that escalated quickly :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yep, that's possible. But that's why I said the fine should be a percent of the transfer fee to make it more equitable.
That just becomes a tax the rich clubs get used to paying and the poor suffer because of.

If it was to ever happen it would be essential that it all goes to a charity rather than UEFA's coffers.

Galactico

I really don't understand this. Either a transfer has happened or it hasn't. If it's happened then he should play for Leicester and if it hasn't he should be playing for Sporting. How the feck does this end up in a situation where the transfer has happened and yet the player cant play?
For me, this is the main point here and not the 14 seconds. If the 'transfer' itself wasn't done in time - even by 1 second, the rule is there for a reason and should be upheld. It's a bit like saying the ball was only over the line by 1mm so the goal shouldn't stand.

It should be one transaction for both the transfer going through and the eligibility of the player to play for his new club. The whole transaction goes through or not at all. In the modern day of electronic banking and other IT systems, it is ridiculous that only part of this transaction stands. FIFA need to take a look at their processes and systems so that this can't happen. I actually think it may be a human rights issue if he isn't allowed to play football for his club.

slyadams

More like you play a CL semifinal and batter opposition but lose 2-1 away from home and then keep battering them at home and eventually score a stoppage time winner but then it turns out it was 0.1mm offside because your striker has long hair so the RedCafe rangers come and shout RULES ARE RULES!!!!!!!!! IT DOESNT MATTER IF ITS TEN METERS OR 1 TENTH OF A MILIMETER!!!! so you get knocked out.
Are you suggesting that being 'only just' offside isn't offside? Putting aside the fact we don't have the ability or technology, to detect this, if we did then this would be absolutely correct.

Well we can draw the line at a minute if you like. But case by case makes more sense.
Then the deadline is 12:01.

Should Silva take FIFA to the European court because they don't let him play(work)? I see another Bosman type of law coming soon.
No, because he is working and being paid. In the same way you can't apply the same logic to cup tied players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For me, this is the main point here and not the 14 seconds. If the 'transfer' itself wasn't done in time - even by 1 second, the rule is there for a reason and should be upheld. It's a bit like saying the ball was only over the line by 1mm so the goal shouldn't stand.

It should be one transaction for both the transfer going through and the eligibility of the player to play for his new club. The whole transaction goes through or not at all. In the modern day of electronic banking and other IT systems, it is ridiculous that only part of this transaction stands. FIFA need to take a look at their processes and systems so that this can't happen. I actually think it may be a human rights issue if he isn't allowed to play football for his club.
No, it's not. He has no rights to play for a private association and his right to work is actually respected since he has an employer.

Manny

Grammar Police
I was just using your 20% model. £40m wouldn't have stopped PSG if it came to it with Neymar and I think the same if United had to pay another £15m to sign Lukaku.

But I think it far harder on a club like Leicester to pay a £6-8m fine on a £30-40m player.

AshfordLad

Serves them right. The cnuts spent all summer trying to feck Chelsea over for an extra £8m.

Now enjoy writing off 10% of the contract and 6 months wages. That gouged money not looking so good now is it.:lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Serves them right. The cnuts spent all summer trying to feck Chelsea over for an extra £8m.

Now enjoy writing off 10% of the contract and 6 months wages. That gouged money not looking so good now is it.:lol:
What about the player, does he deserve to miss out on football?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Are you suggesting that being 'only just' offside isn't offside? Putting aside the fact we don't have the ability or technology, to detect this, if we did then this would be absolutely correct.
No, I am all for using sense while assessing these sorts of situations. If you are 0.1 mm in front of the defender, gaining zero advantage whatsoever, goal should stand because that's the logical thing to do. Also that there's difference between margins, a significant one too, and all the nonsense about 'it doesn't matter if it's 1 day or 1 second' is just that, pure nonsense.

Call me a fool but I want football to not only be about a 500-page book of rules, I want it to be about 22 men kicking the ball, the excitement and emotions surrounding it. I absolutely hate that we are moving towards football being more about documents and books of rules than about the actual game itself, and even more so concerned that majority of fans are LOVING it.

haram

They might as well loan him out and offer to continue paying his wages.

MalcolmTucker

Moonwalker

That offside analogy isn't very helpful. It's more like getting a second yellow, because you kicked the ball towards the goal, a couple of centiseconds after the offside whistle.

And while we are correcting analogies - the bus driver one wasn't very good either, because of the huge chasm in relative frequency. Rather than driving daily, this would be much more akin to driving a bus full of tourists to (say Greece), making a 15 minute cigarette break, and then deciding that the guy who is late from the toilet and running towards you, deserves to have the door slammed shut before his face, because - hey, rules are rules after all, and you did say 15 minutes.

None of this is as relevant as the fact that we simply would not know that this ever happened, had they just registered him. The whole precedent setting argument is therefore ludicrous.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This is probably the least controversial controversy ever.

They were late. Doesn't matter by how much.

Tough shit.

Viral United

More like you play a CL semifinal and batter opposition but lose 2-1 away from home and then keep battering them at home and eventually score a stoppage time winner but then it turns out it was 0.1mm offside because your striker has long hair so the RedCafe rangers come and shout RULES ARE RULES!!!!!!!!! IT DOESNT MATTER IF ITS TEN METERS OR 1 TENTH OF A MILIMETER!!!! so you get knocked out.
No It's more like you know the offside rule you score goal which is offside because either striker's hair, hand, leg, t-shirt is offside, linesman givan offside but somehow you think common sense should be use as striker don't want to be offside, and striker is so honest he will not celebrate if he score offside goal.

JPRouve

Scout
That offside analogy isn't very helpful. It's more like getting a second yellow, because you kicked the ball towards the goal, a couple of centiseconds after the offside whistle.

And while we are correcting analogies - the bus driver one wasn't very good either, because of the huge chasm in relative frequency. Rather than driving daily, this would be much more akin to driving a bus full of tourists to (say Greece), making a 15 minute cigarette break, and then deciding that the guy who is late from the toilet and running towards you, deserves to have the door slammed shut before his face, because - hey, rules are rules after all, and you did say 15 minutes.

None of this is as relevant as the fact that we simply would not know that this ever happened, had they just registered him. The whole precedent setting argument is therefore ludicrous.
The fact that we wouldn't know is irrelevant. The problem concerns other clubs, across the globe thousands of transactions are made at the last minute and you can't subjectively decide that 15 seconds late isn't a big deal, why would it be a lesser deal than 20 seconds, 2 minutes, 15 minutes or a worse deal than 2 seconds?

The line has been drawn in order to put everyone in the same objective situation, you just have to respect that line.

Mindhunter

Can they mutually terminate his contract thereby relegating him to being an out of contract player? Then they can resign him with a similar contract and get him registered?

Moonwalker

The fact that we wouldn't know is irrelevant. The problem concerns other clubs, across the globe thousands of transactions are made at the last minute and you can't subjectively decide that 15 seconds late isn't a big deal, why would it be a lesser deal than 20 seconds, 2 minutes, 15 minutes or a worse deal than 2 seconds?

The line has been drawn in order to put everyone in the same objective situation, you just have to respect that line.
It really is not, unless you're willing to drop the whole precedent setting part of the argument, which is so prominent throughout the thread. 'Thousands of transactions' is silly talk.

slyadams

So many analogies flying around, so here's some more:
  1. A runner failing to meet the Olympic qualifying time by 0.01 seconds. Just let them in, its common sense!
  2. A boxer not making weight by 0.1 pounds. Just let them fight, its common sense!
  3. A footballer being too old for an U-X tournament by 5 minutes Just let them play, its common sense!
The fact is there are quite specific and unambiguous rules (unlike the laws of the game which are often about the opinion of the referee) about these things for a reason, mostly to actually provide more fairness (everyone is always treated 100% equally) not less, thus also avoiding the possibility of lawsuits and so on.

Oaencha

Surely Leicester could just release him from the contract and sign him again as a free agent?

saivet

This is probably the least controversial controversy ever.

They were late. Doesn't matter by how much.

Tough shit.
I think the main issue is that the transfer of the player and the registering of the player is independent. Surely if the player has been tranferred there should be flexibility in being able to registering them. Or even make them dependent on each other so he's a Sporting player. This really and truly shouldn't be able to happen.

Are there any other cases where a player has been transferred during a transfer window, but not registered (apart from transfer bans)?

Sarni

That second yellow analogy is admittedly much better. But RULES ARE RULES!!!!!!!!!

Sarni

So many analogies flying around, so here's some more:
  1. A runner failing to meet the Olympic qualifying time by 0.01 seconds. Just let them in, its common sense!
  2. A boxer not making weight by 0.1 pounds. Just let them fight, its common sense!
  3. A footballer being too old for an U-X tournament by 5 minutes Just let them play, its common sense!
The fact is there are quite specific and unambiguous rules (unlike the laws of the game which are often about the opinion of the referee) about these things for a reason, mostly to actually provide more fairness (everyone is always treated 100% equally) not less, thus also avoiding the possibility of lawsuits and so on.
None of the above actually prevents anybody from continuing to work in their profession though, and all but the last one is actually related to something the athlete had the chance to affect.

It's more like an equivalent of a boxer being disqualified from fighting because they were 5 seconds late for weigh-ins because his managers had failed to organize a transport for him and he was stuck in a huge traffic using an Uber instead. He did not really benefit from that and nobody really did, and it's something he couldn't really affect but he will end up screwed anyway.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I think the main issue is that the transfer of the player and the registering of the player is independent. Surely if the player has been tranferred there should be flexibility in being able to registering them. Or even make them dependent on each other so he's a Sporting player. This really and truly shouldn't be able to happen.

Are there any other cases where a player has been transferred during a transfer window, but not registered (apart from transfer bans)?
There are legal reasons for that if I remember correctly but I'm not a lawyer so wouldn't be able to explain them.

JPRouve

Scout

The problem is that what we call transfer is just a transfer of contract, clubs declare that a player has a new employer. That fact is independent to the FIFA, they can't do anything about it and it has no baring on whether a player can play in Football Association. That's why you have two actions, first the clubs have to present the new contract, then the FIFA will register the player as a member of the Association and linked with a certain club according to the contract.

You can also see why transfer bans don't exist and are instead registration ban.

Mihai

Imagine this: You were going to be on time for the bus with few minutes to spare. You tripped and injured your ankle, which sums up your day nicely having just earlier being made redundant from your job and also found out your partner was cheating on you when you called her to tell her the news. Dragging your sorry body to the bus stop hoping the day would end, you missed the bus by a mere 14 seconds and you saw the bus driver looking at you and drove off. It was dark. Suddenly there was a sharp pain coming from the back. You realised you have been stabbed and saw someone running off with your possession. Lights starting to fade out on you. And you asked yourself why oh why did the driver not waited the 14 seconds for you.
:lol:

Sad Chris

Rules that can't be bent or broken when it makes sense are silly in my eyes. Personally I wouldn't make any fuss about 14 seconds or even 14 minutes in this case. Why strictly enforce something if it doesn't cause any problems or disadvantages for anybody?

The only reasonable complaint I'd accept would be by a club competing with Leicester that has followed the rules. Even if I personally think it'd be silly, I'd understand their complaint.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The transfer deadline is garbage. Total garbage.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It seems a good idea. But what would you say is an apt fine in this case? The fine should be big enough to be a deterrent but it can't be ridiculously high either. So IMO it should not be a fixed amount but a percent of the transfer fee say 20%.
Just take a day off them in the next window. Or a week.

Punish the club. Not the player.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

We are in September I suggest you learn how to count if you think it's 6 months until January

Charlie Foley

14 seconds becomes 28 becomes 42 etc etc. The deadline has to be hard and fast or it's irrelevant. Frustrating and unfortunate for the player though

AshfordLad

Moral of the story don't move to Liverpool.