Adrien Rabiot / completing formalities at Juventus

Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

If it was up to me, I'd break the bank for NDombele and not Rabiot
The idea I think is that with the lower outlay for Rabiot we could sign him plus an Ndombele/Neves type signing then focus on other areas. Knowing our board we are probably just gonna go for an Ander replacement on midfield only

settembrini

I think Rabiot would be absolutely perfect as DM for us. I know that rumors has his mother/agent wanted him to play in a more attacking role, but this seems absurd.
That's not really a rumour. When Emery was the PSG manager he publicly said that he saw Rabiot as a defensive midfielder but Rabiot didn't like the position and wanted a more attacking role.

I like Rabiot as a player. On a free we should consider signing him even with his interfering mother and high wage demands. But it's absolutely not a 'no brainer' of a transfer like some are saying. There are pros and cons to him like with most players.

passing-wind

If it was up to me, I'd break the bank for NDombele and not Rabiot
I agree it's a win win situation for me. People keep making comments of Rabiots attitude but are underlying the fact that PSG want to keep him and are punishing him for not committing to them.

Both these guys would be excellent no 8's and a considerable upgrade to Herrera. All we need is a ball playing No 6 (Tielemans / Neves / Tonali) and the midfield is far more balanced.

The UTD Way

We need to do what other “clever teams” do, you sign a player on say 150k per week, then IF they hit specific team targets year on year then there’s a percentage rise to wages which reflects in the monies from wining competitions or finishing higher in the league. If they don’t then no rise, watch how much they all start pulling together....!

Champagne Football

Look I am no expert on French football @kouroux and @JPRouve would surely know more then I do. Having said that, we're in no position to snub talented players at the right age and with the much needed hunger. Is he a prat who wants to play regularly? So what? Keane was a difficult character, Cantona retired the moment SAF suggested he might start using him sparingly to preserve him and Scholes turned into an absolute nightmare on the bench. I would be more worried if the player finds every excuse in the book to stay out of the first team (for example he doesn't play well or he always walk out of the team with an injury). We have already too many of those.
In the modern game, attacking players need to be grafters also. Everything suggests he's not a grafter and more a luxury player, the type we have a whole first XI of currently. Keane and Cantona were the biggest grafters in history. Scholes worked his ass of too despite being the mis-timed tackle king.

Kapardin

The idea I think is that with the lower outlay for Rabiot we could sign him plus an Ndombele/Neves type signing then focus on other areas. Knowing our board we are probably just gonna go for an Ander replacement on midfield only
Neves and Rabiot would be perfect midfield signings really.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He’s been causing trouble behind the scenes for not being played in his preferred position and going around thinking he’s a lot better than anything he’s really shown. How is he a perfect replacement for Ander?
He is just as combative. Reads the games as well. Top level of vision and passing. Cost nothing. Is much younger. Is consistent Wants to play a more attacking role than Matic's. The notion 'he thinks he is better than he has shown ' is plain BS. The kid is actually as talented as he and his momma think. Its not his problem a PSG couldn't see it. Or Deschamps for that matter.

In fact I’d go out on a limb and say it the other way around.
Its a free country.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No thanks... Not the personality we need at United IMO. Plenty of hungrier players out there. Tielemans is very level headed, has bucket loads of talent, and has already adapted to the league and impressed. Rabiot would just be a problem waiting to happen. Talent wise of course itd be perfect, but theres a reason why so many are iffy on him.

MUFC OK

As others have said I’d much rather go full FM mode and sign Tielemans and Neves, both would be a success here I am certain. But add Rabiot to them both and we have a collection of excellent midfielders.

Mainoldo

No thanks... Not the personality we need at United IMO. Plenty of hungrier players out there. Tielemans is very level headed, has bucket loads of talent, and has already adapted to the league and impressed. Rabiot would just be a problem waiting to happen. Talent wise of course itd be perfect, but theres a reason why so many are iffy on him.
What’s wrong with his personality? I have to ask because a lot of people here just jump on someone else’s bandwagon l hope this is not the case with you.

lysglimt

Scout
Rabiot the football-player I want - not sure about Rabiot the person

Kidders

How do we actually know about his attitude ? Yes he's had a troublesome time at PSG but that seems to more of an issue with the contract situation, it does'nt mean he's trouble, if we went by reputation then we never would have bought Eric !

lysglimt

Scout
What’s wrong with his personality? I have to ask because a lot of people here just jump on someone else’s bandwagon l hope this is not the case with you.
Where do we start :
Deciding to leave PSG early in his career and join Rome, to change his mind again and sign a new contract. Hence irritating both clubs
Rejecting to stand on a standby-list for the french worldcup squad in 2018
Missed a french cupfinal for showing up late for a team meeting in 2015
Telling Blanc that he had gone over his head and spoken to the owners that he wanted to be loaned out if his playing time dropped
His mum threatening the club if he is not given more gametime
When he established himself as a DM his mum started complaining about it not being his best position

Adamsk7

I think in a summer where we need a fair few players and players of quality, we can’t pass him up. He’s miles better than anyone we have in midfield bar Pogba. I get that he apparently has a bad attitude and a meddling family and if that’s the case then he won’t last long but we should take the chance IMO. Would free up the budget to make some astute signings elsewhere. He’d be £60m + if he was in contract.

I also think it’s ridiculous that people think you have to get along to work well in a team (any team). I’ve disliked many people I’ve worked with but if they work hard, I’d rather work beside them than a friendly slacker. If our players can’t work like that then THAT is the real problem.

Mainoldo

Where do we start :
Deciding to leave PSG early in his career and join Rome, to change his mind again and sign a new contract. Hence irritating both clubs
Rejecting to stand on a standby-list for the french worldcup squad in 2018
Missed a french cupfinal for showing up late for a team meeting in 2015
Telling Blanc that he had gone over his head and spoken to the owners that he wanted to be loaned out if his playing time dropped
His mum threatening the club if he is not given more gametime
When he established himself as a DM his mum started complaining about it not being his best position
Yeah sounds like a pr%ck, does it outweigh is quality though? Probably what the manager will have to decided.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I think Rabiot would be absolutely perfect as DM for us. I know that rumors has his mother/agent wanted him to play in a more attacking role, but this seems absurd. PSG saw him as a perfect replacement to Thiago Motta before the relationship between him and the club broke down, a player that was very similar to Carrick in his later years. Rabiot is solid physically, reads the game fantasticly, is calm with the ball in his feet and has a solid passing range. I think he would be the Carrick replacement we never got. I don't think his salary will be a problem, and it should be realistic to make him one of our best paid players (150-180 k/week) and throw in a big sign-on fee (10-15 mill) to compensate for the lack of transfer fee and sweeten the deal.
It's not a rumor, he and his mother specifically told in interviews that the club needed to recruit a real DM so he doesn't have to play in this position.
I don't even recognize Rabiot when I read your description, he "reads the game fatasticly?" uhmm no he doesn't. Solid passing range? He's unable to lift the ball off the ground.

Tuchel has no issue with Rabiot and Deschamps didn't really had an issue with him either other than France has better players that are a better fit for the team. The issue with Deschamps started with the open letter.
It might have started earlier than that with Dechamps, when Rabiot refused to pick his phone when he called to get explainations about his refusal. Then again though, it's not that big a deal for Deschamps, I don't think he cares, there's just better player than Rabiot for France.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It might have started earlier than that with Dechamps, when Rabiot refused to pick his phone when he called to get explainations about his refusal. Then again though, it's not that big a deal for Deschamps, I don't think he cares, there's just better player than Rabiot for France.
Rabiot didn't refuse to pick up his phone and Deschamps didn't call him. Rabiot said that he would be abroad and probably not available for calls.

Which is a bigger problem for Rabiot because Deschamps isn't going to play with him and call. If I'm not mistaken Le Graet called.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
175k/week and 10m signing bonus are just a drop in the ocean for Man Utd's salary budget. If he is not a right fit just give him a package and let him leave on a free next summer.

Red_toad

Why are people saying he's free so we should buy him? Club will have to give him a massive signing on fee, as they're doing with Sanchez. His wage will be inflated just like Sanchez' are, as the signing on fee is paid over the duration of his contract. So we'll get more speculated disharmony in the dressing room, other players looking at what he's getting and wanting a slice of that action....

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Rabiot didn't refuse to pick up his phone and Deschamps didn't call him. Rabiot said that he would be abroad and probably not available for calls.

Which is a bigger problem for Rabiot because Deschamps isn't going to play with him and call. If I'm not mistaken Le Graet called.
Nope, Deschamps specifically said he tried to reach him via phone call or texts, he didn't answer. And you won't make me believe that a young international player doesn't have a phone plan including abroad data roaming... What can you expect from a player that doesn't even answer his phone when Deschamps calls him? To me it speaks volumes about the character.

"Le sélectionneur a également révélé comment le joueur l’avait prévenu de sa décision : "il m’a envoyé un mail. À moi, pas à la fédération. Il était signé Adrien Rabiot. Pour être sûr que c’était bien lui j’ai essayé de le contacter. Par téléphone et par SMS. Mais il ne m’a pas répondu. En interne on m’a bien confirmé qu’il était l’auteur du mail."

JPRouve

Scout
Nope, Deschamps specifically said he tried to reach him via phone call or texts, he didn't answer. And you won't make me believe that a young international player doesn't have a phone plan including abroad data roaming... What can you expect from a player that doesn't even answer his phone when Deschamps calls him? To me it speaks volumes about the character.

"Le sélectionneur a également révélé comment le joueur l’avait prévenu de sa décision : "il m’a envoyé un mail. À moi, pas à la fédération. Il était signé Adrien Rabiot. Pour être sûr que c’était bien lui j’ai essayé de le contacter. Par téléphone et par SMS. Mais il ne m’a pas répondu. En interne on m’a bien confirmé qu’il était l’auteur du mail."
My bad, I forgot that part but after that he confirms that he had no problem with him before that letter.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
In the modern game, attacking players need to be grafters also. Everything suggests he's not a grafter and more a luxury player, the type we have a whole first XI of currently. Keane and Cantona were the biggest grafters in history. Scholes worked his ass of too despite being the mis-timed tackle king.
'mis-timed' being key. Pretty sure Scholes was just getting away with his reputation when he was pretty much kicking players on purpose at times just to disrupt plays and make sure we didn't get caught out.

ti vu

How do we actually know about his attitude ? Yes he's had a troublesome time at PSG but that seems to more of an issue with the contract situation, it does'nt mean he's trouble, if we went by reputation then we never would have bought Eric !
Please don't bring King Eric into this. Silly comparison.

King Eric was a go to man for France NT coach before his final fall out. He himself could elevate the whole team. He just needed some one like SAF to manage him.

Rabiot? He is never the type to lift a team. He can add quality to the team, but that's it. Remmeber how he opted out of France NT WC reserve list, just to see France has done very well without him. Same with PSG. Without him, everything is fine.

And we don't have SAF anymore.

ti vu

My bad, I forgot that part but after that he confirms that he had no problem with him before that letter.
Deschamps is quite diplomatic when it comes to public speaking. What he has done when looking at the team building is quite transparent of his plan. I had this discussion of how Ben Afra, Ribery, Benzema... were left out all the way back. Deschamps doesn't publicly go to wars with them, but he tries to build team spirit and leaves out players that affect team morale in a bad way, even for supposed worse/flawed players.

ti vu

I agree it's a win win situation for me. People keep making comments of Rabiots attitude but are underlying the fact that PSG want to keep him and are punishing him for not committing to them.

Both these guys would be excellent no 8's and a considerable upgrade to Herrera. All we need is a ball playing No 6 (Tielemans / Neves / Tonali) and the midfield is far more balanced.
He is running out of his contract and demanding too much even for PSG for renewal. PSG doesn't really "want" that much compare to his demand. They punished him for running out his contract! Different to not committing. One you can say PSG may posture to find a compromise (lesser demand) and finally a new contract. One is going no shite, and making an example.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
There are 2 clubs in this world you don't screw up with. One is Man City and one is PSG. It is very obvious even Barcelona and Real Madrid don't tap up their players because both clubs know there will be consequence.

JPRouve

Scout
Deschamps is quite diplomatic when it comes to public speaking. What he has done when looking at the team building is quite transparent of his plan. I had this discussion of how Ben Afra, Ribery, Benzema... were left out all the way back. Deschamps doesn't publicly go to wars with them, but he tries to build team spirit and leaves out players that affect team morale in a bad way, even for supposed worse/flawed players.
Which is why the fact that he selected him just before the World Cup shows that he had no issues with him. And he isn't all that diplomatic, he clearly said that Rabiot wasn't selected because of his performances, he said that Rabiot should look at the tapes of his last selections and to be fair Deschamps is right, Rabiot wasn't good.

ti vu

Which is why the fact that he selected him just before the World Cup shows that he had no issues with him. And he isn't all that diplomatic, he clearly said that Rabiot wasn't selected because of his performances, he said that Rabiot should look at the tapes of his last selections and to be fair Deschamps is right, Rabiot wasn't good.
The door was open before, but then after it changed. There is always a limit where thing can be tolerated and Rabiot showed he had exceeded that limit. There is no coming back since.

Remember Deschamps we're going out after the fact, not that he stopped being diplomatic. Even at the heat of the moment, regarding Rabiot self exclusion of World Cup reserve list, Deschamps after all honest stuff, still maintain a diplomatic message about hope for Rabiot to learn.

JPRouve

Scout
The door was open before, but then after it changed. There is always a limit where thing can be tolerated and Rabiot showed he had exceeded that limit. There is no coming back since.

Remember Deschamps we're going out after the fact, not that he stopped being diplomatic. Even at the heat of the moment, regarding Rabiot self exclusion of World Cup reserve list, Deschamps after all honest stuff, still maintain a diplomatic message about hope for Rabiot to learn.
You are talking about today? Because we were talking about before the World Cup, now he is done.

ti vu

You are talking about today? Because we were talking about before the World Cup, now he is done.
My whole point is Rabiot exceeding the tolerance of even Deschamps. Your point was about clinging to the past, which Rabiot own development. Rabiot had shown his quality from time to time for PSG, and Deschamps would be akward to not give him a chance citing behavior issues. Remember Ribery, Benzema still played for France under Deschamps until a breaking point. It's not "fine" at you firstly put. It's just case to be closed after trial.

I don't speak French and rely on translation, but you can look up and see in that same answer (re Rabiot has to learn point) Deschamps specifically said Raniot had to own up to his action along the line. It reached a breaking point.

JPRouve

Scout
My whole point is Rabiot exceeding the tolerance of even Deschamps. Your point was about clinging to the past, which Rabiot own development. Rabiot had shown his quality from time to time for PSG, and Deschamps would be akward to not give him a chance citing behavior issues. Remember Ribery, Benzema still played for France under Deschamps until a breaking point. It's not "fine" at you firstly put. It's just case to be closed after trial.

I don't speak French and rely on translation, but you can look up and see in that same answer (re Rabiot has to learn point) Deschamps specifically said Raniot had to own up to his action along the line. It reached a breaking point.
I never made that point and I have no idea about what you are on about.

ti vu

I never made that point and I have no idea about what you are on about.
You said about Deschamps was fine with selecting Rabiot before, and his exclusion was all down to performance. Which in the past re Euro 2016 I defended Deschamps decision to drop Benzema and brining someone's like Gignac as bench option; Ribery leaving so much to desire re width attacking option. While Rabiot was not good in friendly, qualifying games, it can be the same for other squad players. Here in case of NZonzi he barely featured for Deschamps (not his performance for Sevilla, mind). NZonzi was not all that via his few appreances before being finally be included in that squad.

The point is the behavior/commitment to be a member of the squad can be looked at here. NZonzi took his chance without much contribution on the pitch via those few games pre Selection. Rabiot was not excluded in 23 men squad just solely on performance alone. Rainout didn't take his chance as a good team member.

JPRouve

Scout
You said about Deschamps was fine with selecting Rabiot before, and his exclusion was all down to performance. Which in the past re Euro 2016 I defended Deschamps decision to drop Benzema and brining someone's like Gignac as bench option; Ribery leaving so much to desire re width attacking option. While Rabiot was not good in friendly, qualifying games, it can be the same for other squad players. Here in case of NZonzi he barely featured for Deschamps (not his performance for Sevilla, mind). NZonzi was not all that via his few appreances before being finally be included in that squad.

The point is the behavior/commitment to be a member of the squad can be looked at here. NZonzi took his chance without much contribution on the pitch via those few games pre Selection. Rabiot was not excluded in 23 men squad just solely on performance alone.
No, I said that Deschamps had no issue with him which is true and why he selected him, then Rabiot never played well for France and the problem for Rabiot is that he had a place to gain because he wasn't an actual member of the selection. N'zonzi played well in a position that Deschamps wanted to strengthen and gained his spot, the same thing happened with Lucas. while Deschamps do take into account the mentality of a player which is something that I have always said and I have also always defended his decisions myself even when I disagree because he makes sense, he is coherent and in this case the reason why Rabiot didn't go to the WC is obvious and it's due to his lack of good performances for France. But in the future, he will pay for his letter and his mentality with France will follow him as long as Deschamps manages France.

ti vu

No, I said that Deschamps had no issue with him which is true and why he selected him, then Rabiot never played well for France and the problem for Rabiot is that he had a place to gain because he wasn't an actual member of the selection. N'zonzi played well in a position that Deschamps wanted to strengthen and gained his spot, the same thing happened with Lucas. while Deschamps do take into account the mentality of a player which is something that I have always said and I have also always defended his decisions myself even when I disagree because he makes sense, he is coherent and in this case the reason why Rabiot didn't go to the WC is obvious and it's due to his lack of good performances for France. But in the future, he will pay for his letter and his mentality with France will follow him as long as Deschamps manages France.
I don't think we're that of different view re little detail as "no issue" part. My point re Rabiot is that it's a time bomb which his talent meant Deschamps had his hand forced. After all the assessment it was not worth the risk. It's an issue which for whichever club he may end up with. It's a lot of grey area here, not black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.