Adults wearing replica football shirts...

miked99

When I was a kid I loved it. But as middle-aged man, not a chance. It's not a good look is it?

Red Royal

OP has it about right... though think a shirt can be worn casually. The worst look it when it us too tight on someone :nono:
I wear mine to 5 a side and if going to a game

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Was in my late 20s the last time I bought a shirt, 2007/08 with Scholes on the back.

The idea of a grown man wearing the name of some player who is old enough to be your son is a bit weird for me (unless he is your actual son of course).

El-Manos

Nothing wrong with it, obviously a time and place for them. I still wear them and enjoy wearing them. Jerseys nowadays look more and more like normal t shirts anyway.

Deery

Dreary
I said this year I wasn’t buying a shirt again as I just wear them to watch the match and thought I wasn’t getting enough value out of them and getting too old for them.

But I’ve just ordered a Ronaldo 7 home shirt in cup font. I’ve fallen into the trap.

P.S have to say I don’t get names on the back this is a one off..

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I wear my Scotland retro shirt regularly to the pub. It’s a collared one and it looks fine. Wouldn’t wear a new kit outside of going to a game or playing football though.

meamth

Well, if you wear the away ones you can get away with it.

Bright red is always something we should avoid wearing.

But then again, it's all about the styling. If you wear a kit, with a cap, black joggers and shoes, you can do fine with it.

The main take away is, be fit and healthy, whatever you wear is acceptable in the public. You're fit, you're good looking. End off.

Nero

feck it, I'll post them myself:

devil in me

As a grown adult the only acceptable times to wear one are if you're playing footie or lounging around the house. Possibly get away with some cool retro version to the boozer if there's a tournament on etc. Other than that its all a bit odd.

Counterfactual

I'm 43
Dont wear them unless I'm going to the match or watching an important game.
But at the same time there's nothing wrong with it for those that do.
Feel a bit divided about a name on the back, I've always got a blank one.... But I'm considering one this year with you know who on the back!

Nothing wrong with any of it, it's tribal, life is short.
Voldemort?

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
It's the same as people wearing some print on their shirt, or people wearing artwork on their shirt. I don't see any difference. Either way, I don't care. I'll wear what I want, people be damned.
Agreed, who gave the fashion Police any authority to say what is and isn't acceptable? Thankfully I don't live in an oppressive society and I'm happy that people can wear what they like

RedDevilRoshi

Don’t really see the issue. If they want to wear it then fine no problem with me however, if it’s the full kit i.e. shorts & long socks then I’d think they’ve gone a little step too far unless they are playing football themselves.

Deery

Dreary
I find it strange people saying you’re a weirdo wearing an United top on a forum for actual fanatic United supporters.

Lappen

My lokal pub (not English) is one of the place were United fans go on game day.... usually about 300 fans. 90% wear a Fotball shirt, doesn't matter if you are 5 or 100 years old. It actually feels good to weare it there. I'm close to 50 year.
Other places but home and that pub don't work out for me. I do have other things to wear if I want to show the world were my support is!

One thing I like about older people use the shirt is that many have old shirts and a lot of stories around it. I heard some great stories just by asking about the shirt.

RUCK4444

Depends, if your middle aged with a beer gut then it's a no no. If your wearing one under a jacket or something though, fair enough.

I only wear mine in the house on matchday though, for the above reason. :D

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Agreed, who gave the fashion Police any authority to say what is and isn't acceptable? Thankfully I don't live in an oppressive society and and I'm happy that people can wear what they like
As a self-appointed member of the fashion police you are under arrest for crimes against the eye.

Your sentance is a 2 year ban from wearing any man made fibres.

Lightbringer

Read this a few days ago - "Why the world loves football shirts":

https://theathletic.com/2711087/2021/07/19/why-the-world-loves-football-shirts/

I say people should wear whatever they want, whenever they want on their free time. Anyone that goes against that is just a bellend! This policing and mocking what other people wears is just disrespectful, life is too short to not wear any do whatever you want without worrying about what others think, do what makes you happy.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What do we think?

My own opinion is as follows:

At a match: perfect.
Whilst playing sports/gym: fine.
At home/pub watching a match: All good.

Any other situation: wierd.

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?

As a man in my late 30s, I can't even wear something with a slogan on it or really any brand that uses young people to hype itself, I just cringe inside when even considering getting something.

I could be fine with collecting football shirts, but as for wearing one, that's a no from me.

For example I was going to buy a hoodie I liked at a store a while back, until I saw the motivational slogan on the back. Right back to the rack with it.

And dont get me started on this nightmare

Uniquim

I have a bunch of fooball shirts. They're comfy to wear in the summer, and great to wear at the gym.
I usually buy them without print on the back. Some are just shirts I like, some have colors that fit with other clothes I have etc.
Often wear one under a jacket etc. too.

Not going to stop doing that anytime soon.

RonaldoVII

I wear them whilst working from home as they wash easily and dry in no time. That extends to wearing them around the house. Wouldn't really go out in one, other than when going to the game or possibly to the pub to watch.

acnumber9

I would say feeling insecure about what you put on your back is not particularly befitting grown adults. Wear something if you like it. Except for a full kit obviously.

I’m 25, just bought the CR7 away blue top. It’s a retro style that will go with anything. I’ll wear it to the bar or pub with the boys and to any football game.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Obviously only for the pub (match day only) or the stadium (match, tour,etc.)

Other than that, ludicrous.

Jericho

It’s just a t-shirt. Don’t see the problem. Worse if you don’t wear it because you’re worried what others will think. Doesn’t matter what you wear someone will find a problem with it. I’m sure there are even some people who think grown men shouldn’t wear t-shirts in general and should only wear shirts.

rizx

The whole picture is amazing but it’s the boots that really top it off.
"That one kid who always comes in a full kit and football boots to play on a tarmac playing field"

luck&neat

40 year old man wearing one - yeah that's a bit weird

40 year old man wearing one with the nipples area cut out - intriguing
:lol:

I have a drawer full of various United tops I rotate through to sit about in at home. Nice and comfy - Ideal for the post covid paunch to fill.

Don't often wear them to games though - people keep stopping me to ask why i've cut the nipples out.