Adults wearing replica football shirts...

Jack-C20

Used to buy them every year but stopped a few years ago. At 29 I feel like I’m at a weird age where I’m too old for football shirts but not old enough for retro kits. Have kept all my old ones though. Can’t wait to bust out that chevron one in a few years…

tomaldinho1

It's very weird for me outside of a game or some kind of football related activity to wear a football shirt (and even then it's a bit odd).

Conversely I wear football shorts all the time in the summer with some sliders, get some awesome adidas styles for cheap.

Nicolarra90

So people who spend a high portion of their day thinking about football and using free time on a football forum are actually against using football shirts?

Talk about insecurity. Closet football fans.

MuFc_1992

I really don't get the notion that you need to become a miserable prick and give up on things that excite you just because you are middle aged. If you enjoyed wearing the football shirts when you were younger then chances are you still enjoy wearing them now and it's not worth it to give it up because people like OP are judgemental. I would just wear it to wind those people up tbh

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
I don't wear them myself, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone else, no matter what age they are wears one, they are not harming anyone.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What do we think?

My own opinion is as follows:

At a match: perfect.
Whilst playing sports/gym: fine.
At home/pub watching a match: All good.

Any other situation: wierd.

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?
Totally agree

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What do we think?

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?
I concur with all of the opinions above.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What's the harm in wearing a football shirt while going out on a walk or at home?

The only people who I find weird are those who get their name printed on the back and obviously the full kit wankers.

FattyFooty

I buy no number for me.

I buy sometimes with for my kids.

Its kinda wierd to me having a name thats not mine at a old age.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
I don't think anyone is bothered by it.

It's like seeing someone with a mullet, nobody really cares but it can be funny.
You are correct. You yourself could wear something that you think is fashionable but I think looks ridiculous, or 'weird', but at the end of the day everyone should be free to wear what they want. Football shirt sales bring money into the club so if we capped the age where it is acceptable to wear a footy shirt then clubs wouldn't sell as many shirts.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Haven't bought one or really worn one since 2009/10. Doesn't really suit my style. Stopped wearing them to games around that time too.

I'm often tempted to buy them still, but I can't for the life of me think when I'd wear them. They look shite the majority of the time.

I think the shirts from ten plus years ago look much better though, maybe that's just a nostalgia thing.
Agree with all of this

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I buy no number for me.

I buy sometimes with for my kids.

Its kinda wierd to me having a name thats not mine at a old age.
Is it more weird having your own name? Seeing as you aren’t part of the team?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
As someone who is over the age of 30, I would feel weird wearing another man's name on my back (especially if he's alive).

Mr Bridger

I'm 46, I've got a 1999 remake Paul Scholes 18 shirt, I very rarely put it on. I will be grabbing a Ronaldo 7 shirt from DH Gate to wear around the house. I have Basketball shirts I wear around the house and on holiday, they have names on but haven't got a clue who they are.
I don't mind paying £10-£15 from China but would never pay full price for a shirt.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I wear mine for running or at the gym. They're all from dhgate which were all cheaper than your standard plain running tops from sports direct or wherever, they've all lasted a good amount of washes too. Prefer the fit of a football shirt to those generic running/sports tops. They're always short and flimsy on my frame. I always buy knock-off from dhgate or similar though. I wouldn't ever pay £70 for what is just a t shirt.

Don't think I've worn them outside of running/gym. They look a bit goofy with a pair of jeans unless you're going to match.

I don't see a problem with a name on the back though. With some sports jerseys, like NFL and basketball tops, you don't have a choice. It comes with a name on it. You're displaying you like the team, why is the line drawn at liking a player? Quite tempted to get a knock-off of the new light blue away shirt with Greenwood on the back.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
We make such a deal out of it in this country, don't we? In the States they wear team replicas well into retirement, but there's this weird faux-sensibility that in Britain where you should apparently start wearing trousers and buttoned up shirt post-35. :lol:
In the US, you still look like a weirdo wearing a jersey in your 30s :lol:

Unam333

I wanted to buy the home shirt with 'Ronaldo 7' on the back. After reading this topic, now I'm not too sure.
I never knew the majority of people view this way.

Grande

What do we think?

This has in fact inspired me to wear my black Anderson no 8 to the vernissage tonight.

Acole9

Outstanding
I only wear one match day, rarely any other time. I've always had a rule that I would never get a shirt print with a player younger than me. It just wouldn't feel right.

I'm in my thirties now so I rarely get printing.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
What do we think?

I was about to write a serious post, but that "45 year old wearing Gerrard's shirt bit made me laugh".

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
I wear City shirts at the game, at indoor football, at training, and that's really it. I don't waste energy judging other people for what they wear though.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So where do we stand on having things written on you when you're not wearing a shirt?

Just for the match? Or also ok for down the pub or nipping out for a bit of shopping?

JB7

Makes no odds to me whether people wear them or not to be honest.

I collect shirts so have hundreds of them but honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I wore one to a game, maybe Wembley a few years back. That being said some of the people I go with wear them all the time, just this morning a mate sent me a pic of their new Ronaldo 7 shirt. I tend to wear them around the house or if I’m playing 5 a side and that’s about it, some of them still have tags on in truth.

Live and let live unless it’s a half & half scarf.

Glorio

Wouldn't judge anyone but wouldn't wear one myself.

Like the idea if a NT one in a foreign country though. Good inoffensive show of patriotism (depending on the countries in question though! :lol:)