AFCON Egypt 2019

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Watched the Cameroon game yesterday and had no idea who half of them were....they even put Choupo Moting on with ten minutes left and made him captain.:eek:

Sad how far they've fallen from their late 90s/early 00s squad when they were a real powerhouse with guys like Eto'o and Mbomba upfront. Geremi, Lauren and Wome full back options. Djemba Djemba in midfield.....

Edit: Just seen their squad. They have Bong who is squad player at Brighton then players from Slavia Prague, Panionios, Mariupol and Kayserispor

Midfield has Zambo Anguissa who was total waste of money for Fulham, a Hearts player and Maccabi Haifa player with 49 caps.

Still Seedorf is doing well for them to win the group.
Guess what? We had even less-known names when we won the last AFCON in 2017. Our biggest names didn’t get along with then coach Hugo Broos and declined when called up for the tournament. Choupo-Moting, Onana, Zambo Anguissa and all the others playing for high profile leagues didn’t participate. Even for us it was a huge surprise, no one knows how we won it beating Mane’s Senegal and Salah’s Egypt en route to the trophy.

el3mel

Guess what? We had even less-known names when we won the last AFCON in 2017. Our biggest names didn’t get along with then coach Hugo Broos and declined when called up for the tournament. Choupo-Moting, Onana, Zambo Anguissa and all the others playing for high profile leagues didn’t participate. Even for us it was a huge surprise, no one knows how we won it beating Mane’s Senegal and Salah’s Egypt en route to the trophy.
I do. We had Cuper as a manager who loses almost all his finals. :D

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I’m happy for Madagascar but them topping that group is a massive surprise. I think the Nigerian coach underestimated them quite a bit. Madagascar thoroughly deserve an easier matchup for the round of 16, they didn’t have any complex facing the other more established sides.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ah, Hector Cuper. Good manager, but the man just cannot win :lol:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Uganda with the best chance so far.

Kasper

Supports
And Salah freekick 1-0, still Egypt havent been convincing.

el3mel

1-0 Salah.

We are absolutely terrible and guaranteed to be exposed by the first big clash.

We have only Salah and Trezeguet performing.

And how the feck is Nenny playing in Arsenal?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We should play AEM upfront next season judging by this tournament....

Saw first 20 minutes and Egypt looked very dodgy at the back, need to be more solid in knock out rounds.

el3mel

We should play AEM upfront next season judging by this tournament....

Saw first 20 minutes and Egypt looked very dodgy at the back, need to be more solid in knock out rounds.
Fun fact : El Mohamady stated his career in Egypt as a striker before being switched to right back.

Good offensive fullback though. Not that good defensively.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Fun fact : El Mohamady stated his career in Egypt as a striker before being switched to right back.

Good offensive fullback though. Not that good defensively.
Did fine in the run in. Would have no issues with him starting at RB next season although we signed a French RB from Caen so he'll probably get the opening games.

el3mel

Did fine in the run in. Would have no issues with him starting at RB next season although we signed a French RB from Caen so he'll probably get the opening games.
I don’t much about his performance with Villa but he's a very good player offensively. Will probably add him with Salah, Trezeguet and our GK as our only performing players in this tournament. :lol:

el3mel

Dr Congo are winning 4-0.

Almost guaranteed to qualify as one of the best third placed teams.

el3mel

Well that's it. Egypt top spot and Uganda second. Dr Congo almost guaranteed as a third placed team as well.

Second group Madagascar top sot and Nigeria second. Guinea definitely as a third placed team.

el3mel

Tomorrow will conclude 3rd and 4th group :

South Africa - Morocco
Namibia - Ivory Coast

Tanzania - Algeria
Kenya - Senegal

Standing of both groups :

Algeria are guaranteed top spot in their group as they defeated both Senegal and Kenya.

Kenya - Senegal should be the most important as Kenya will fight to at least qualify as a third placed team.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Just saw this on twitter, fecking annoying this. I hope he doesn't go back but he probably will, I understand he's under pressure to because his country needs him being their best player and all but I can't help thinking it's down to him and his choice to play knowing he's not fully fit. Klopp and Liverpool certainly won't be encouraging him to. Not watched any of Guinea's games, but I heard he was getting kicked about. I was presuming Guinea wouldn't advance as much as Egypt and Senegal would, but didn't take in the equation of this 3rd place spot. Now he's pulling a Harry Kane, because their through. 3 injuries now in space of a season, Napoli in the CL group, Barcelona in the knockouts and now this even managing to get injured in the off-season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Morocco is the african spain. Very technical, will control possession and dominate the game, but have next to zero attacking threat :lol:

If they had a good striker they'd win this comfortably. In fact if they had a good striker they would have made waves at the world cup last year, instead of finishing last in their group. Dominated iran and portugal and largely outplayed spain and came up with 1 point to show for it :lol:

el3mel

Senegal finally score, 1-0.

Shame, Kenya will probably miss out now.

el3mel

Another pen to Senegal and red card. Kenya fully and totally collapsed.

Kasper

Supports
East African teams are so bad:( At least Uganda somehow got through.

el3mel

Guinea, Dr Congo and South Africa are all ahead of Kenya in third place ranking. Their only hope is for Angola and Benin to not get a single point tomorrow, otherwise they're out. Shame.

el3mel

Tomorrow matches, last day of group stage :

Benin - Cameroon
Guinea Bissau - Ghana

Angola - Mali
Mauritania - Tunisia

Standing of both groups :

Tantum Ibrahim

Guinea, Dr Congo and South Africa are all ahead of Kenya in third place ranking. Their only hope is for Angola and Benin to not get a single point tomorrow, otherwise they're out. Shame.
We gave it a good go in the first half albeit heavily depending on Matasi's heroics. We caved in the 2nd half which is a shame really but we are not embarrassed by the outcome, they beat us squarely and they deserved it. Hopefully it goes our ways tomorrow with Cameroon and Mali winning but we won't sulk if it doesn't, we didn't expect to get to the knockouts initially so..

Kasper

Supports
Isn't Madagascar considered East African ?
Depending on the definition I guess they are, yes. In my mind I always go with the EAC countries and the Horn of Africa countries when referring to East Africa. Thrilled for Madagascar in any case, African football is very dominated by the West and Northern countries, nice to see others getting in the mix.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Isn't Madagascar considered East African ?
Well, not really. I think it’s rather considered Southern African.

They are a member of SADC (Soothern African Development Community) economic zone and football-wise they belong to Cosafa (Council of Southern Africa Football Associations).

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Madagascar can reach the QF which would be mental. They deserved their win, they were just better than Nigeria
I really enjoyed their football. They keep their philosophy either winning or loosing. The best example was the game against Guinea: they were upfront and they were trying to score the third with a high pressure defense and suffered the goal on a PK committed because of a quick counter. Other teams would sit deep and played for the counter.

el3mel

Benin equalize with Cameroon. Thus became 4th of the 3rd placed teams ranking behind Guinea, Dr Congo and South Africa. Kenya officially out.

If Angola at least got a point against Mali, they'll take South Africa's position too in the 3rd placed ranking.

Nigeria - Cameroon clash confirmed in 16th round.