Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nervous! I'm in London working for a few days, struggling to concentrate today though as my mind is on the game. Meeting a lady tonight (we agreed this a few weeks ago and I didn't check the date of the final - I assumed it was on a Saturday) however she has agreed that we can go to a pub for the match and some grub.
We better win for obvious footballing reasons, but also she'll have to deal with me in a bad mood if we don't, which will be a great impression to make.
@Zebs take him.

Would be great to have caf members crash a date during a Europa final :lol:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Currently half way through a 3 hour train journey from Gothenburg to Stockholm.

Just want to get there already, I can't wait!

Lentwood

As much as I like Cascarino I really wonder how much he knows about Ajax's players.

The alarm bells for me, from a United perspective, is the impressive guts they (Ajax) showed with ten men to come back & defeat Schalke in Gelsencirchen versus United struggling to overcome Celta Vigo. . a team who finished in the lower half of La Liga.

I don't think Ajax will in any way be worried or intimidated by playing United.
I keep thinking back to that kid they play at CB making his full debut for Holland against Bulgaria though (De Ligt?)

Got torn apart by some journeyman from Bulgaria and ended up subbed at HT. Now, that isn't too say he won't end up being a great player but they have lots of these supposed potential superstars but as Tony Cas was saying, are any of them better or going to be better than Rashford, Martial and Bailly?

Also, lest we forget a team of our kids beat Palace at the weekend. Put Mitchell, Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzabe in the Dutch league - bet we would be touting them as the next big things

Djemba-Djemba

It's just such a massive game. We win tonight and everything changes, the season suddenly becomes a great one.

I've given up hoping we play well and score a couple of early goals so we can ease through the game. I fully expect tonight to be a fecking tense nightmare to watch.

But just win. Come on Utd!

Blind

As much as I like Cascarino I really wonder how much he knows about Ajax's players.

The alarm bells for me, from a United perspective, is the impressive guts they (Ajax) showed with ten men to come back & defeat Schalke in Gelsencirchen versus United struggling to overcome Celta Vigo. . a team who finished in the lower half of La Liga.

I don't think Ajax will in any way be worried or intimidated by playing United.
They won't, I'd be a lot more confident against a team like Lyon. There's so much energy and creativity in the side with no expectations on them. I think they'll make a really quick start and won't allow United a chance to keep their shape, they know if they run at Darmian and the centre backs they'll have a lot of success.

Inter Yer Nan

If we win, we will join an elite group of only four clubs to have won every title - Domestic league, domestic cup(s), champions league, uefa cup/europa league, cup winners cup, world club cup/intercontinental cup.

Those other clubs are Juventus, Ajax and Bayern Munich.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Nervous! I'm in London working for a few days, struggling to concentrate today though as my mind is on the game. Meeting a lady tonight (we agreed this a few weeks ago and I didn't check the date of the final - I assumed it was on a Saturday) however she has agreed that we can go to a pub for the match and some grub.
We better win for obvious footballing reasons, but also she'll have to deal with me in a bad mood if we don't, which will be a great impression to make.
Maybe she'll give you some consolation sex.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
A fascinating match this for the neutral, JM has his biggest Utd match tonight. Utd are certainly favourites though Ajax seem capable of causing an upset.

JM has a good record in European finals though he also has had some bad moments in other European matches like at Chelsea playing Paris St.Germaine when all the players rushed to get Ibrahimovvic sent off early after a 50-50 challenge.

Hopefully we see a tactical masterclass from the old and experienced manager and not his Waterloo.

I bet Fellaini will have a notable moment, either good or bad too.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
I know I wouldn't be half as nervous if Bailly was playing. Biggest match of the season and our best defenders (Rojo and Bailly) are out; I hope Blind and Jones/Smalling are up to the task since Ajax attack well.

El-Manos

I know I wouldn't be half as nervous if Bailly was playing. Biggest match of the season and our best defenders (Rojo and Bailly) are out; I hope Blind and Jones/Smalling are up to the task since Ajax attack well.
Agree Bailly is a big miss. I'm guessing Jones - Blind will start.

RD76

Arguably the most important match for United since the 2011 CL final and, in terms of changing the direction of the club, the most important match since the 1991 ECWC final.

A win tonight & the Van Gaal/Moyes era is well & truly over.
This x10

Vaibhav Raj

Google called me up this afternoon for what could possibly be the biggest interview of my software developer career. It scheduled for tomorrow morning and I fully plan on watching the game till early morning hours and show up unprepared for the interview. :lol: I tried all day - to mug up some stuff. But the match looms large on anything I am doing today. I hope to God United win the final and make it all worthwhile or I am going to have a very-very shitty day tomorrow.

markelphick

I'm so nervous, anxious and excited about this game! Praying we win so bad! Haven't felt like this since 2008 CL final! Agree with the above poster who says it's one of the most important since '91 in terms of progression.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Already well drunk...will be a stellar night, need to hit the stimulants to stay awake.

Mihai

A fascinating match this for the neutral, JM has his biggest Utd match tonight. Utd are certainly favourites though Ajax seem capable of causing an upset.

JM has a good record in European finals though he also has had some bad moments in other European matches like at Chelsea playing Paris St.Germaine when all the players rushed to get Ibrahimovvic sent off early after a 50-50 challenge.

Hopefully we see a tactical masterclass from the old and experienced manager and not his Waterloo.

I bet Fellaini will have a notable moment, either good or bad too.
Fellaini will score today!

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
I'm in work until 10pm and would obviously miss the match but I think its perfectly acceptable for me to sign out sick and go home in time to watch the game.

Would I be wrong for doing that or would any of you do the same?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm in work until 10pm and would obviously miss the match but I think its perfectly acceptable for me to sign out sick and go home in time to watch the game.

You'd be wrong not to.

Eli Zee

Only if you won't get fired for it...

Tell them "I'm going to have to call out -- Theres a problem with my eyes.. I cant see myself going in to work today "

Inter Yer Nan

Gut feeling is that we win 3-1. We've been low on goals in this cup (and in general) but think we'll get an early-ish goal and go toe to toe. Not really enthusiastic about Blind and Jones/Smalling as a pairing and I'd feel better with Dave in net but I think we have to have too much quality for them. Expecting a big game from Pogba, a goal for Micky and I've love Mata to bag a goal.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites

I already did it few times. But I always felt bad next day, so I worked my ass of.

Roger777

For people that are nervous - have a tug - that will sort you out. Helps me when I'm stressed out.
:lol: Mate I far
So excited for this now!

With all what's gone on in the city recently I hope we go out there and put on a good performance and bring the cup home! The worlds media will be on us especially and I can't wait!

I was nervous but I'm now excited and can't wait, I think we will beat them relatively comfortable. All the players have been rested and managed well and should all be raring to go!

I haven't been impressed with the coverage on SSN today! An English team in a European cup final tonight, albeit a 2nd rate trophy but surely it's more important than John Fecking Terry's retirement or the cricket!
Yeah I agree, but you tend to find that if BT are screening the game and not them, they don't give it as much pre match coverage. Wrong I know, but that's petty broadcasting for you.

lewwoo

If we lose this we are heading in to a possibly irreversible downward spiral of 90s liverpool proportions. Win it and we get all our targets over the summer and stay in touch with the other clubs in top 4. Possibly the second most important match in terms of impact in my 36 years supporting the team. The first being the third round fa cup tie vs Nottingham forest which saved Fergie from the sack in 1990. Difference being nobody realised the significance of the win vs forest at the time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.