g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster Codify7

Looking forward to it, but not confident at all.

Some of the comments on here are baffling, regarding Ajax and why we shouldn't fear them.

"Their defence is terrible, they concede lots"

Same as Swansea, Hull, Middlesboro, Burnley etc then? In case anyone hasn't noticed, we are terrible at scoring goals, this is kind of a moot point.

They score a lot of goals and are a confident young team. Our defence is prone to a balls-up, especially now our two best CB's are out.

Not going to be an easy game whatsoever. I'll reserve judgement til nearer kickoff but at the moment, I'm not sure we're going to beat them.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Yeah me too, if Ajax clinch the league, I think I'll support United, if United miss top 4, also United but if they make top 4, definitely Ajax.
Yeah I'll be United all the way, but if Ajax end up winning I won't be extrememly gutted and would defnitely enjoy the aftermath. It's a bit of an impossible choice really, as a club we need this trophy so much more than Ajax does - imagine the atmospshere on here if we end the season with just the League Cup, and then having another season of playing Europa League which pretty much kills our chances of competing for the league next year unless we completely ignore Europe (while Ajax still gets a great payday if they lose the final, has got the international recognition now, so many players gained millions in value already, etc.)...

At te same time, Dutch football in general needs this trophy so much more than United as a club, I'm sure you've seen the UEFA-rankings. Eredivisie is in 13th(!) place, behind countries like fecking Switzerland, Cech Republic, Belgium, Ukraine, and the end isn't even in sight if it takes another 15 years before a Dutch club makes an European final, that's just soul-wrenching...

Last edited:

Janson

If he qualifies for the CL by winning the EL against a bunch of kids that's just one achievement, not two trophies and the 'if' is quite big. LvG only just missed out on 4th spot thanks to a brilliant Leicester, an extreme injury crisis and the idea of a better manager beeing availalbe, a backstabber hiding in the curtains, didn't help either. It was a false idea, Mourinho has never been and will never be a better manager, he's just judged by different standards.

He doesn't now. Any other side in the last 8 of the EL plays better football with lesser players.
:lol:

RAVred

Not going to be easy, but I have confidence we'll get it done. It's time for our offence to shine now....

Their defense is weak, their most experienced player is out of the final. I'm not saying their defense is completely shite, it isnt, they have some talented centerhalfs, but the fact is pace can quickly get rid of them.

Players like Mkhi, Rashford, Martial should thrive here... Dont think starting Lingard will be a good decision. He's been awful lately, and his tracking back shouldn't be needed here imo as we should control the midfield, our midfield is much better at that as well.

Also, people seem to forget they also made it on very narrow margins...

What will anger/sadden me though is if we dont get some tap ins like Lyon did... I cant remember since Zlatans injury, us trying to play like that with penetrative passes between defenders to a forward. It's super effective against defences off their game, thats how Celta vigo nearly knocked us out at the end. Thats how lyon put 3 past them... They were all very close shots to the goal as a result of a good pass/passing and composure in the box. Inexperienced defenders will absolutely struggle against that, hopefully players like Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan get on the end of stuff like this and put it in the back of the net...

I dont see many excuses here if we're out. Their a good inspiring youthful side, but we definitely are better.

Romero shouldn't start. If we get lucky and upset spurs, he'll still have an important role to play if he starts every prem match. DDG is really good in situations like this, vs young fast attackers... His reflexes will be crucial... Their not very good in the air (which for some reason people still consider DDG"s weakness, though hasnt been the case for a few years), thats why I'm not that fussed about our defence being in trouble. Expect Fellaini and/or Pogba to get some good headed chances and hopefully convert... Should completely dominate them in the air like Celta did to our defence.

If he qualifies for the CL by winning the EL against a bunch of kids that's just one achievement, not two trophies and the 'if' is quite big. LvG only just missed out on 4th spot thanks to a brilliant Leicester, an extreme injury crisis and the idea of a better manager beeing availalbe, a backstabber hiding in the curtains, didn't help either. It was a false idea, Mourinho has never been and will never be a better manager, he's just judged by different standards.

He doesn't now. Any other side in the last 8 of the EL plays better football with lesser players.
LVG's football was shite with us get your head out your ass you fekin knob. You prolly watched 10 minutes of each game... As majority was us passing with no purpose.

"A brilliant leicester", guess you missed the narrative of an invisible Chelsea, disappointing City and Spurs, and a pathetic Arsenal side.

"Bunch of kids", these are some of the most talented kids in the world. We also have a 'kid' being our hero here in this Semi Final overall.

How in the world is EL not a trophy? Your a joke mate... This is a Ajax that beat a decent Lyon side that beat Beskitas and Roma (2nd place in the Serie A)

By the way, LVG's fa cup win was an absolute fluke. Martial and Rashfords individual brilliance won it

Last edited:

Infra-red

Louis Van Gaal disagrees with your assessment:

Louis Van Gaal said:
Teams led by Jose were always well organized, which proves his great managerial skills. He is one of the best coaches in the world and my personal opinion is that he is better than me.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Got 2 tickets in the UEFA ballot. Good job it's been such a smooth ride to the final....

Seriously though, obviously this makes or breaks our season. Can the lads step up and put a performance in? The honest answer is I don't know but I bloody hope so!

Surely we'll attack more in a one leg game than that really poor show from last night?

Unmutual

I'm far from confident for this game. Ajax are well capable of putting on a performance and will fancy their chances of scoring against us. They're average in defense, but then we're, frankly, shit at scoring at the mo, so I wouldn't say its a given we'll score. Plus they only play 1 game between now and then, and get 10 days off before the final. We play 3 more games, all difficult ones, and our last game is on the Sunday before the Wednesday final. I just hope Mourinho gives every player the weekend off.

It also has to be said that our form is garbage right now. Look through the results since the league cup final and there are very few good performances in there. Chelsea & Burnley certainly. Middlesborough and Sunderland, maybe, though those teams are both dire. Other than that, our performances have been poor.

We should still have enough to beat them, but I certainly don't see a comfy 3-0 win on the horizon.

tomaldinho1

Yes, last night they played badly when they could have scored 3-4 goals in the first half. This Dolberg chap isn't clumsy on the ball, Traoré is really shit though.
I really like that Dolberg chap - looks like he has the workrate/tenacity as well as the technical side to his game

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
Rest everyone in the remaining league games.
What? No...we'll rest most of the people vs Spurs on sunday, then play strong team that will most likely play the final on the 17th vs Southampton as preparation sice the final is 7 days after. Then we rest everyone against Palace on 21st.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I hope you win (favourite premier league team of mine) but can't see it happening. You barely got past Celta and Ajax looks very strong (some great young players too). Your hectic schedule that Mourinho likes to remind everyone about won't help.

Most neutrals will be supporting Ajax due to the way they play football too - but I wish you luck.
They are all dead rubbers now so we will rest players.

SirAF

Ageist
Ok, I am officially pumped for this! Oh how I want it.. to complete the club's trophy collection, to get CL back next season AND the chance to compete for the Super Cup against either Real or Juventus :drool:

Sweet Jesus, I want it!

SirAF

Ageist
They are all dead rubbers now so we will rest players.
Yup. I'd play some players against Spurs and Southampton for sharpness though - but then rest everyone against CP. Although, perhaps Smalling should play at least two of those matches to get some minutes under his belt for the final?

AXVnee7

Ajax are terrible at defending, we should really win. Question is, will we try to exploit their defence or play it safe?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Some Ajax fans thoughts-

Manchester is a favorite on paper, but I think that, like Lyon, they are not as good as many think. That's the ideal scenario for Ajax: an opponent who will automatically give 100% sharpness by his name and reputation, but at the same time is not a real absolute top team.
I'm secretly thinking we'll win him, especially because of the long rest period we've been heading for the final. All players are fully equipped and only 90 minutes have to give everything they have to make a good chance of the highlight of their career.

How do the tactics think that Bosz will apply his pressure to Mourinho's concrete football? Could that be fine or should you handle it differently?
Young Ajax normally wins 4-2 from Manchester United.
Of course, he's not completely unequal. Ajax goes to "28 on ball 28" while they have a match against Spurs and afterwards two more matches from Southampton and CP at home, but this is the famous Mourinho story, raising opponent and calling how heavy United Has as little or less to start the game as an underdog, park a bus and counter them with their fast boys.

Besides, I think they just let those three games run, many injured, I already mentioned how annoying I think of them.
I
n fact, it's 10 days of rest, but what does it mean to be fit and strong, yesterday see that in the last 20 min that Ajax ran over, it seemed like 15 men of OL who were waiting to take a ball.

GrandJury

12 finals - 1 loss.

Yep that's how good Jose is at winning finals.

MuFc_1992

This is our equivalent of play-off final because financially winning this match is worth around 70-80 million for us. I hope our players can handle the pressure and not worry about the consequences of losing this match.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
This is up there with the biggest rubbish I've read on this forum. When was the last time LVG won anything of note?
2016 and 2014 befor that.

Not to add, Mourinho's won more Champions Leagues and more league titles (?).
He did very well quite a while ago, but if we compare the achievements from the distant past LvG did a better job too.

How is winning a trophy not a trophy? He has the community shield, which I'm not even counting, the league cup and assuming he wins it, the Europa League. That is miles better than the dross that was LVG's season last season. :lol: That's not even comparable. FA cup and putting us in the Europa league, despite spending a feck load of money and regressing. I don't care for your reasoning for that joke of a season.
Last season it was a disgrace to end up in the EL, this season this same EL and 6th spot makes a great season? Where you living in the past last season or what?

If my Aunt had a cock she'd be my uncle. If this Jose Mourinho United team could finish, we'd be a lot better off this season, but alas, if's and but's don't get you anywhere.
Maybe Mourinho should have taught them to think wether to control the ball first and aim instead of just blasting it through, or he should have taught them how to create more chances by attacking with fluency.

LVG lost 4-0 to a bunch of kids called MK Dons. Also no, he lost out on top 4 place because he wasn't in the top four best teams in the league, missing out on goal difference to a City team that completely collapsed basically half way through the season, only for us to still miss out.

You're right about being judged by different standards though, Jose is judged as a winner, LVG hasn't been judged in that same light for nearly a decade now.
Judged by who? Spaniards who saw their reign in international football ended by him, or the Brazilians who got brushed aside? Or by the English media with it's fair and balanced reporting and pundits who are experts on modern football?

Louis Van Gaal disagrees with your assessment:
It's a nicer man too, allthough I wonder if he has more nice things to say about Mourinho these days.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would it be worth going to Stockholm if I don't have tickets for the game? Will UEFA do the fan zone thing they do for the CL final?

Ban

Oh the god od days when Lvg taught our players how to play proper football and how to control the ball. Oh and in 1999 Lvg was a better manager tbh.
He was a nice man too. He's known to be such a nice and gentle person.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
2016 and 2014 befor that.

He did very well quite a while ago, but if we compare the achievements from the distant past LvG did a better job too.

Last season it was a disgrace to end up in the EL, this season this same EL and 6th spot makes a great season? Where you living in the past last season or what?

Maybe Mourinho should have taught them to think wether to control the ball first and aim instead of just blasting it through, or he should have taught them how to create more chances by attacking with fluency.

Judged by who? Spaniards who saw their reign in international football ended by him, or the Brazilians who got brushed aside? Or by the English media with it's fair and balanced reporting and pundits who are experts on modern football?

It's a nicer man too, allthough I wonder if he has more nice things to say about Mourinho these days.
I want whatever you've been smoking.

Ixion

United sent out an email the other day saying there would be no big screens showing the game in Stockholm and extra security would keep non-ticket holders well away from the stadium.

Crimson King

I hope we set up to control the game. I know their main strength is going forward but it sounds like they are more of a dynamic attacking side rather than being patient with possession, so the best way to neutralise them would be to force them back with our own wingers and controlling possession in midfield.

I really think that going with the same team as last night, and getting the back 4 to play narrow with the wingers dropping to make a back 6, could potentially be a disaster. Plus our counter game has been pretty ineffective recently. Rashford grafts and produces a few moments of magic but his cohorts, whether Mkhi, Lingard or Martial, have been poor.

We really miss Zlatan. I know some people feel he held us back but we were set up to play with him and now nothing sticks when we get the ball forward. That and his self-belief seemed to lift the team. We look timid without him.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Any one arguing about Van Gaal with Funkenstein is wasting their time.

This is a guy who threatened to follow United when Van Gaal was sacked..impartiality will not be a strong point for him.
I've been a fan because of the style of football played and the attitude and policy towards challenging the best in the world. Of course when that's done right for a very long time you get emotionally attached, but I wouldn't become fan of a club that spends hundreds of millions on the most expensive players in the world to park the bus to only just and luckily get through against Celta de Vigo and Anderlecht and sell it as huge achievement. And I don't think I'm unique and United gained many fans this season.

Not the first post from you that made me wonder if Van Gaal was posting on the caf but definitely the most convincing...
Could be a different philosophy too. Dortmund has as philosophy, Real Madrid has a philosophy, Juventus has a philosophy, United had a philosophy but it was down to SAF only. Dortmund started playing better after Klopp left, Juve didn't suffer much from Conte leaving. United is going nowhere, it's just keeping up appearances until the Pound sterling seriously devaluates and the Glazers want to cash in.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Would it be worth going to Stockholm if I don't have tickets for the game? Will UEFA do the fan zone thing they do for the CL final?
Why not? Soak up the atmosphere and try your chance getting tickets. Sure there will be places showing it if you don't but nothing official as United/Police are trying to discourage ticketless fans from heading out. Feck them though - you're well within your rights.

Roboc7

I've been a fan because of the style of football played and the attitude and policy towards challenging the best in the world. Of course when that's done right for a very long time you get emotionally attached, but I wouldn't become fan of a club that spends hundreds of millions on the most expensive players in the world to park the bus to only just and luckily get through against Celta de Vigo and Anderlecht and sell it as huge achievement. And I don't think I'm unique and United gained many fans this season.

Could be a different philosophy too. Dortmund has as philosophy, Real Madrid has a philosophy, Juventus has a philosophy, United had a philosophy but it was down to SAF only. Dortmund started playing better after Klopp left, Juve didn't suffer much from Conte leaving. United is going nowhere, it's just keeping up appearances until the Pound sterling seriously devaluates and the Glazers want to cash in.
Having a philosophy isn't a good thing if the philosophy is terrible and that's what LVG's was, what he did in the past was ancient history he was washed up and his philosophy reflected that, a very good manager at his peak but an outdated and negative one at the end.

The reason why the club has gone nowhere since SAF left is because we appointed two managers who weren't up to the job and both were clueless in the transfer market. That's where the damage was done, Mourinho has been tasked with trying to sort it out, so far he is struggling and he might not be the answer so next season will be make or break.

Status
Not open for further replies.