Alabama outlaws abortion

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I can tell you absolutely unequivocally that not every abortion comes after careful consideration and soul-searching. There are women who see it as absolutely no big deal at all - I know because I've seen them come back again and again to the clinic, as if an abortion was some kind of contraception.

I'm not saying these are the majority, but it's really not that unusual.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can tell you absolutely unequivocally that not every abortion comes after careful consideration and soul-searching. There are women who see it as absolutely no big deal at all - I know because I've seen them come back again and again to the clinic, as if an abortion was some kind of contraception.

Would you advocate that it would be good for these women and their potential child if they were actually carrying to term?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Would you advocate that it would be good for these women and their potential child if they were actually carrying to term?
I do know that abortion is a very serious and sad business, even if someone approaches it with a lack of gravity. I used to manage an abortion clinic (although I would never do that now). It was a truly terrible place to work. I've also seen very late abortions carried out. These things stay with you.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I do know that abortion is a very serious and sad business, even if someone approaches it with a lack of gravity. I used to manage an abortion clinic (although I would never do that now). It was a truly terrible place to work. I've also seen very late abortions carried out. These things stay with you.
I am absolutely convinced that no abortion will happen without any kinds of repercussions. It's problematic either way you look at it and at least in my opinion it shoud be up to the woman to chose what she is most likely to able to deal with.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fecking hell, these anti-abortion politicians are relentless. Don't they have other stuff to think about?

Oldham

Thats a bit too far the other way surely?
Not in my opinion as the positives outweigh the negatives. Women who decide to have abortion that late have good reason to do so, according to professional. I don't think religious (nutcases) should have input in this discussion.
But I can understand if people find it freaky...

arnie_ni

Not in my opinion as the positives outweigh the negatives. Women who decide to have abortion that late have good reason to do so, according to professional. I don't think religious (nutcases) should have input in this discussion.
But I can understand if people find it freaky...
I think everyone should have an input tbh but obviously a womans vote should weigh more.

The abortion thing is a tricky concept. Your either pro life or your not, if you make one exception for one instance no matter the reason, your going against your beliefs, and thats why that was shot down i think.

Id take a middle ground personally. You should be allowed to choose, but at the same time, if you have unprotected consensual sex, with both persons happy to ends inside the woman, i don't think you should then just be allowed to have an abortion.

The question them becomes how do you police that vs a couple that use condoms and or the pill and are part of that 1 percent that get pregnant because i think the should be allowed the choice.

Basically, im caught in a positon where the method of conception (accidental, forced, reckless) actually determines it, which when i write that, doesn't seem the correct way to go either.

Loublaze

ATLien
I've mentioned it often on the Cafe. My sister schools in Auburn. She has a low opinion of the state. Let me just leave it like that.
Its one of the most backwardass states in the country. The Hunstville and Tuskegee areas are not bad. Mississipi has to be absolute worst though

Carolina Red

Staff
Wtf? How did they justify those decisions?
It’s times like these that I realize a lot of folks just don’t understand how behind the times the Deep South really is.

I had a conversation today with a colleague who is firm in her belief that her 16 year old daughter is too young to go on an unchaperoned date.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Racism bro what else? There's no official explanation for that nonsense. Its still a very segregated state.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/gardendale-alabama-school-desegregation-ruling/index.html
It’s times like these that I realize a lot of folks just don’t understand how behind the times the Deep South really is.

I had a conversation today with a colleague who is firm in her belief that her 16 year old daughter is too young to go on an unchaperoned date.
I know that there are states that are still backwards as feck when it comes to a lot of things (which the topic of this thread is a tragic reminder of), but I didn't know that they were still this openly racist. They can use their bible as an argument for most of their shit, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anything about white supremacy?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Can you imagine being the person who has to tell a woman who was just raped that she'll have to carry the pregnancy to the end?

Carolina Red

Staff
I know that there are states that are still backwards as feck when it comes to a lot of things (which the topic of this thread is a tragic reminder of), but I didn't know that they were still this openly racist. They can use their bible as an argument for most of their shit, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anything about white supremacy?
“Don’t you know where black folk come from? That’s from Genesis... the ‘mark of Cain’. Gawd turned his skin black so folks knew who he was.”
Can you imagine being the person who has to tell a woman who was just raped that she'll have to carry the pregnancy to the end?
“The Lowerd works in mysterious ways.”

Loublaze

ATLien
“Don’t you know where black folk come from? That’s from Genesis... the ‘mark of Cain’. Gawd turned his skin black so folks knew who he was.”

Pretty much this, the so called curse of Ham as well

Achilles McCool

If abortion is murder, then masturbation is genocide. Menstrual periods must he murder too. Man, pro life standpoints really suck. We have real problems in this world and these folks think they have some moral authority to tell women what to do. Nevermind that we humans have a big enough environmental impact as it is and having more children only increases that impact. It’s really selfish delusion if you think about it.
What a jackass response. Do you understand cell reproduction?

Let's have a civil debate.

A question I have for you, @Florida Man is when a pregnant mother is shot dead, why is the shooter charged with 2 murders?

Achilles McCool

I think everyone should have an input tbh but obviously a womans vote should weigh more.

The abortion thing is a tricky concept. Your either pro life or your not, if you make one exception for one instance no matter the reason, your going against your beliefs, and thats why that was shot down i think.

Id take a middle ground personally. You should be allowed to choose, but at the same time, if you have unprotected consensual sex, with both persons happy to ends inside the woman, i don't think you should then just be allowed to have an abortion.

The question them becomes how do you police that vs a couple that use condoms and or the pill and are part of that 1 percent that get pregnant because i think the should be allowed the choice.

Basically, im caught in a positon where the method of conception (accidental, forced, reckless) actually determines it, which when i write that, doesn't seem the correct way to go either.
@arnie_ni this is a very sensible and thoughtful post! I believe that I am very much like you. Either way, I believe that as @Penna stated, it is a very difficult discussion but "very serious and sad business"

Zlaatan

Parody Account

It's sad that I'm not surprised stuff like that is in there even though I genuinly thought that it wasn't.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Won't it be challenged in the SC?
That’s the whole reason for ridiculous pieces of legislation to exist, to get appealed up to the SC to start whittling away Roe.

Think about this - the law school at Liberty University has classes solely on drafting potential pieces of legislation that will ultimately help repeal Roe. These classes are held in a classroom that is a typical amphitheater in seating style, but the area in front of the seats is a very close mock up of the physical Supreme Court. They are teaching their students how to try to ultimately get Roe overturned & they are potentially preparing them to go to the SC & argue their case. That is basically militaristic in mindset, but it could end up being effective.

Obviously off topic, but one of the best memories I will always cherish of my father is when he & I laughed out loud in the face of the Liberty soccer coach when he came up to us after a club match, wanting to start the recruitment process for me to go to the school. That place, along with Bobby Jones U. in South Carolina, is fecking spooky.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I've always struggled with the issue of abortion. Whilst I land on the side of a woman's right to choose, I think it is an extremely delicate moral and ethical issue.

I do believe life begins at the point of conception, and I'm all for that life being protected as much as possible. However I do think ultimately the woman has a right to choose what happens to their body, and should be able to terminate said pregnancy in a safe way if that is what they desire. The issue with banning abortion is that it doesn't stop it, it merely drives women underground to extremely dangerous forms of abortion.

What I don't think is helpful is someone who happens to be pro-life being accused of some form of moral bankruptcy. There are legitimate reasons as to why somebody may be pro-life, and not all of them centre around religious lines either. As I said I think it's a delicate moral and ethical issue.
That is fair enough but not when you’re talking about situations where the woman has been raped - then it becomes nonsensical.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They should be given all the support they need. So should mothers thinking of terminations because they can't afford a child. But it's cheaper to just tell them to abort. Society copping out of its responsibilities to help the vulnerable.
The support is having the legal right to have an abortion, plain & simple.

Achilles McCool

That is fair enough but not when you’re talking about situations where the woman has been raped - then it becomes nonsensical.
I can't speak for @Dave89 but I'm not against abortions for women who have been raped.

What's the % of abortions for rape victims? I don't know...

Did a quick search and wouldn't say the NY Times is a conservative mouthpiece, but their % is very low. 1%

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/13/us/rape-and-incest-just-1-of-all-abortions.html

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is impressive gymnastics.
This fecking idiot needs to forget to breathe for a while.

I give her a couple of years before she rebounds back to the liberal she was before Trump seduced her.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I ask that everyone watch the republican author of this bill try to explain how there is actually an exception to the abortion ban, watch from 1:40 to 3:25. The fact that a shitkicking neck thumper along with his sycophants can pass such a cruel bill is breathtaking...

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...ade-with-new-alabama-abortion-law-59709509745

Just try to make sense of what the bill’s author is saying.

This is an example of how down ballot races ultimately have far more impact on an American voter than who the president is.

Andersons Dietician

It's sad that I'm not surprised stuff like that is in there even though I genuinly thought that it wasn't.
That I don’t think is in the bible, some idiots interpretation of what the mark of Cain was, They believe that the mark was God turning his skin black so he stood out and everyone knew who he was. Just racists being racists and finding an excuse in their sci-fi novel to be so.

arnie_ni

But as i said a few posts above these people are pro life or not. If your pro life your pro life, no exceptions. The method of conception wont change their mind

Ainu

Not many in here are accepting of @Dave89 for his different opinion or the people of Alabama...
There's a very important difference though. By definition, pro-lifers are not open to other opinions, as they want to force their own opinion on everyone else. How can you respect an opinion that's all about not respecting other opinions?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Did you have conversations about using (effective) contraceptives in these instances? If so, what responses did you get?