Alas poor Carrick...WTF has happened?

ryan_forlan

Gullible
My Arsenal supporting friend was telling me how he thought that United will easily win the league, considering the how the league table looks right now. I responded by saying that, there is one player in one position in our team, whom is the only one who can play that role effectively for us. if he get's injured, our title challenge can get derailed, Micheal Carrick.
Hope it's the typical friendly injury.

ricky-romeo

hope nothing is serious and it is just for precaution. he definitely need a bit of a rest though. fecking international friendlies :mad:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The internationals that people berate are often helping in the cases where players have little knocks and need additional rest and in case of non-existing injuries where the player will still get rest.
It's a stupid time to have them I have to agree with that but they can be useful

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Given the fact it's a friendly and he's played more football than any of our midfielders this season, I'm sure Sir Alex and Woy have an understanding. "You can use Danny, Wayne and Tom...but Michael stays with us".

It is an absolutely scandalous time to have a friendly...surely they can find a week where CL football isn't within 7 days.

He needs this midweek free to be fresh for Sunday and Madrid. He might genuinely be carrying a niggle, but nothing serious.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Today really showed how important Carrick is to our team again. Before he came on Everton really were controlling the game, despite not really providing much actually threat. After Carrick gets subbed on, the games changed quite a bit. We controlled things much better and actually started to look like the better side.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree with Plech's assessment that Carrick is hugely important to us due to the lack of options we have right now, but in the end he is just Carrick and not a top top central midfielder. I'm glad he has found consistency since last season. For a player of his style, he should be pretty consistent.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He makes a huge difference to our play, and is amongst the best midfielders in the premier league, easily. Still vastly underrated, and with cleverley next to him he's only gotten better.
However, saying that, I do feel we need to buy another Carrick type midfielder, to rotate with Carrick and give him a rest, or even take over because let's not forget that he's 31 now and even though his game isn't reliant on pace, he still probably only has another year in his prime I guess. Like we saw yesterday, when we want to rest Carrick, we have to resort to jones in centre mid. God forbid he gets injured. We really are lacking in numbers there, more so then quality.

amolbhatia50k

If he played for Arsenal he'd have won a player of the year award by now.
:lol: What nonsense. Michael Carrick, player of the year, it's just never going to happen. He's simply not good enough.

Also, why would an Arsenal player be more likely to win it?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe because London based team players are insanely overrated by media?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If Scott Parker can win the POTY award so can Carrick, in fairness.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Defending wise he is absolutely crucial which was evident yesterday. He has been one of the key players this season

amolbhatia50k

Yeah but that was possibly the worst joke of an award ever. Scott fecking Parker. I mean I don't think Carrick should be anywhere near such an award but Parker is a new low.

amolbhatia50k

Maybe because his contribution would have been far more appreciated at Awsenal? Like Wilshere's.
I don't see why. United are a much bigger club than Arsenal. There's a case for London clubs getting more attention than other non-London clubs but not Manchester United. This is the club most under the microscope in the premier league and if a player is "under the radar" here he will be so anywhere else.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Was that not the YPOTY award? I think that he had actually turned 24 by the time he picked up the award too. Carrick would need the press to start championing him to win the award, I can't really see that happening. With Parker you had the emerging English young player dynamic that the press love so much, in that season I think that Parker scored a couple of nice goals that sealed the deal for him.

Rossa

I don't see why. United are a much bigger club than Arsenal. There's a case for London clubs getting more attention than other non-London clubs but not Manchester United. This is the club most under the microscope in the premier league and if a player is "under the radar" here he will be so anywhere else.
United players are usually underrated due to the team mentality. You can see that evidently from simple things like FIFA 13 where United players really are shit compared to most other teams. You hear it from pundits who year after year say that United's starting XI is weaker than the other top four contenders.

Carrick is one of the best midfielders in the league, and arguably one of the finest in Europe. He's not a flashy dribbler or an acrobatic player like Iniesta, but his passing is up there with Xavi in terms of accuracy. He doesn't assist as much, but he sits lower and is probably better at defending.

It seems to me that you need to be one of two to be accepted as top class; a Lucas take on defending where you trample over everyone and anything that comes your way (how the hell he finishes more than half his matches is beyond me), or you need to be a Toure with terrific physical attributes that can rip teams apart using his speed and power. Carrick is neither, but he is brilliant at what he does, and I'm not sure I can think of many who does what he does better.

amolbhatia50k

Who has been better than Carrick at CM in the PL so far this season ? It's a genuine question btw
No idea. Cleverley has been very good for me.

The standard of premier league central midfielders has probably been at its lowest point this season. City have been rubbish, Chelsea have been in meltdown with managerial instability, Arsenal have lost their best midfielder from last season (Song) and just got their other best midfielder back (Wilshere). Spurs have a bunch of fairly good midfielders now after losing their best (Modric). Oh, and Liverpool have had Lucas injured decided to spent a decent sum of the average Joe Allen.

amolbhatia50k

That compared with the likes of an inform Toure (last season), Modric, Fabregas, Scholes (06), Alonso, Gerrard, Lampard, Essien etc in the past is pretty woeful.

Rossa

:lol:

I'm sorry but I can only laugh. Insanity.
You must have a weird sense of humour!

All stats show that Carrick is one of the best passers in Europe. He makes more forward passes than Xavi, so I'm not sure what you are on about. They are different passers and play diffeently, and Xavi is also a better player, but Carrick's stats say that he is certainly up there.

Care to back your arguments about who is much better?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I agree with Plech's assessment that Carrick is hugely important to us due to the lack of options we have right now, but in the end he is just Carrick and not a top top central midfielder. I'm glad he has found consistency since last season. For a player of his style, he should be pretty consistent.
I find it baffling that people can still call Carrick's ability into question. Simply put, you do not play in central midfiedler as much or as long as Carrick has for a top side without being a "top player".

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yeah that's the Caf for you.

Carrick has been consistently brilliant this season and has done it in bigger PL matches away but yet people won't recognise his quality.

"He is just Carrick", what the feck does that mean anyway?

Cina

It goes from one extreme to the other on here though.

When he's playing poor everyone thinks he's rubbish and not worthy of being our main man in midfield, when he's playing at his best suddenly he becomes one of the best midfielders in European football.

Carrick is a very good midfielder in the best form of his career but "one of the best in Europe" he is not.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Hes easily one of the best in England. Probably in top 10 of Europe.

Cina

I'd name 10 I think are better than him but people would probably highlight one and go

"lol wtf u must be joking :lol: :lol: "

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Hes easily one of the best in England. Probably in top 10 of Europe.
You would think that he would be playing for England then! For me personally, he might scrape in at the bottom of my European top 10. There are some great midfield players about though.

Cina

To be fair on current form he probably would be higher up the list than some midfielders I generally think are more talented/better than him, he really is playing at the top of his game right now.