Alas poor Carrick...WTF has happened?

Dyslexic Untied

I thought he was ok today. Better than of late, but not a brilliant display. Perhaps I am wrong, going by the reactions on here.

In all I thought we struggled to close down the space behind our midfield in the first, van der Vaart was always available I thought.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's hard to gush over any one of our midfielders today when Spurs was passing through our midfield like butter. I was glad when VDV came off.

However, Carrick is getting back to his best, and it was very encouraging to see. We've sorely missed him this season, he just needs to take the last 2 steps back to his mercurial self.

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
he looked pretty shit, park and nani played well but him and fletcher were wank

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I wouldn't say he was 'brilliant'.

It was back to his standards in his first few seasons, so compared to his recent form it may have been brilliant. But if he can get back to that on a consistent basis he will make a huge difference to our performances for the rest of the season. Great player who is extremely important in how we play.

I thought he was very good with his passing and possession play. When he performs like that we look so fluid in midfield. Him and Fletcher were much more like their usual selves and it showed in our overall command of the match. Did y'all notice just how many interceptions he makes in that midfield area? He takes a lot of heat off the defence that way.

he looked pretty shit, park and nani played well but him and fletcher were wank
Ok.....:rolleyes:

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
He was ok today, a step in the right direction.
Yeah id say that's fair, he was much better than he has been for a long time which is encouraging, first half neither he nor fletcher were much cop seeing as how Van der vaart and Modric especially were running through our midfield with ease at the time, Sir alex made reference to this in his post match comments saying we allowed VDV far to much freedom in the first 45 and had to rectify that.

Second half was much better both he and Fletcher closed them down quicker and we hardly saw the spurs influential midfielders involved which was great testament to Fletcher and Carrick as a pair.

First half he was okish second half he was good, overall definitely a step in the right direction, but saying things like 'brilliant' and such like are way over the top, no one was brilliant today.

I thought he was very good tonight, welcome back Michael Carrick, that was much more like it. He wasn't perfect by any means, but he did have a very good game, seemed to make a lot of excellent interceptions just by his ability to read the game and be in the right place

And just kept the ball moving and ticking along all the time

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I thought he was very good with his passing and possession play. When he performs like that we look so fluid in midfield. Him and Fletcher were much more like their usual selves and it showed in our overall command of the match. Did y'all notice just how many interceptions he makes in that midfield area? He takes a lot of heat off the defence that way.
So true.

HsJ

Carrick was better than Fletcher (who won MOM weirdly?)

A lot better than recent performances - same level as he was against Chelsea in CS.

Shimo

Carrick for me had a very good game. Was always available for the ball, made good interceptions, played well with Fletcher and loved the way he played the ball out of the defense towards the end of the game.

To me the problem with VDV was down to Vidic (captain) and managers. They didn't provide a solution in the first half to VDV constantly finding space. Fletch/Carrick obviously had other instructions and they weren't asked to change up their play till the 2nd half.

Overall encouraging from both Carrick and Fletcher today.

Neutral

BTV
I think he was good, but the utter dross he's presented with us at times in the last 12-18 months, means this performance looks a lot better than it was...

He was better as was Fletch in the 2nd half, but he did get caught in possession a couple of times.

Still an encouraging performance, for a near forgotten man...

beardsleybob

I was only glancing at the game but from what little I saw I thought Carrick had a fairly average performance, didn't seem to keep possession with his dribbling, and kept his passing quite conservative.

Of course one the lads is a Carrick basher and kept pointing out his mistakes and crucifying him. Might have had a teensy lil effect on me

To me the problem with VDV was down to Vidic (captain) and managers. They didn't provide a solution in the first half to VDV constantly finding space. Fletch/Carrick obviously had other instructions and they weren't asked to change up their play till the 2nd half.
That is a difficult position though. He's such an advanced midfielder it's confusing whether the defenders should push up or let the midfielders drop deep. Of course the fact that Keane did a Houdini helped us immensely. Still think the team did a great job nullifying VDV. He's been in great form and we shut him out of the game bar a few potshots

tintedsepia

Carrick was much better than recent. Seems to be coming back to better form. I had thought that we had seen the best of him and that it was marking a general decline.

Passing much better and fitness was better in my opinion.

He always starts campaigns slowly - but this was encouraging. Now if only he could start to score more goals!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Thought he was solid. Made some quality interceptions and screened the back 4 quite well. No surprise that he didnt contribute going forward as he was in a midfield 2 with Fletch so had Carrick gone forward we'd have had a no midfield whatsoever.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Thought he did very well tonight, just read that Fletch got MOTM and I'm surprised at that, Carrick was miles better than him. His impact defensively seems to be overlooked but he is really very effective in that department. More of the same please Michael.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Thought he did very well tonight, just read that Fletch got MOTM and I'm surprised at that, Carrick was miles better than him. His impact defensively seems to be overlooked but he is really very effective in that department. More of the same please Michael.
Carrick had a much better game than Fletcher in my opinion. Carrick at least managed to pass the ball to a teammate, not a Spurs player. Fletcher gave the ball away a lot.

RonaldoVII

Carrick had a much better game than Fletcher in my opinion. Carrick at least managed to pass the ball to a teammate, not a Spurs player. Fletcher gave the ball away a lot.
Exactly. I thought Fletcher was poor, particularly in the first half, whereas Carrick was picking out a teammate with long range passing and was very good on the counter. He side-stepped a few challenges in tight situations in the second half which got a lot of acclaim at the time.

Shimo

They definitely weren't invisible. Our possession advantage was through the two of them. They broke up play and would work their way around the with the ball. Both provided option to our attackers and our defenders. The only problem was VDV having it a bit easy but, like I said earlier - a decision should have come either from Vidic or sidelines as to what they want done to close him off.

Carl

Did he? I don't recall more than 1 or 2 occasions.

Carl

I don't understand why Carrick can't produce these type of performances on a regular basis
He seems like a really laid back kind of charachter. You rarely see him get annoyed or pumped up. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

B Cantona

Desperate
He played well today, but if that performance is one we're blowing up as the best of Carrick at the moment, it shows how far he's fallen

Nice to see him not be a constant source of possession for the opposition

I wasn't too happy with our midfield personally, game was far too open and Spurs had plenty of possession, a lot of it relatively comfortable too

johnmufc

I'd like to mention that Carrick's only started 5 games this season, and in 3 of those he's played very well. The Community Shield against Chelsea, Wolves mid-week, and of course this game against Spurs. Then in the Valencia match he defended astutely and generally played well. Against West Brom, he was having a decent game as well until Ferguson bizarrely decided to take him off (instead of Gibson).

So really, his recent poor form is a bit of a myth. Last season obviously wasn't his finest, but on form he's a hell of a player and suits our quick, one-touch counterattacking style down to a tee. Let's hope the good performances from Michael continue.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He didn't "generally play well" against Valencia. He passed to the opposition more than he did anyone in a united shirt in that game. Defended well but the overall performance was nowhere near good enough. No need to make stuff up in his defence.

Good performance yesterday but his poor form this season has been very real.