Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Love this attitude. Great stuff.
If we get 5 good years out of him I’d be more than happy. If Madrid actually wanted him that’d mean he developed into literally one of the best wingers on the planet.

Real Name

If we get 5 good years out of him I’d be more than happy. If Madrid actually wanted him that’d mean he developed into literally one of the best wingers on the planet.
We're not a Real Madrid feeder club. This mindset that Madrid will take our players needs to die. He hasnt even started and people are speculating if he'll go to Madrid.

mctrials23

We're not a Real Madrid feeder club. This mindset that Madrid will take our players needs to die. He hasnt even started and people are speculating if he'll go to Madrid.
Its not a mindset, its just reality. Almost every player in the world would go to RM over United and far more players from Europe/South America have dreams of playing for RM than United.

Better climate, better city to live in, better family life, guaranteed to be in the CL/title fight every season. I don't think there are that many players that RM have gone in for hard that they haven't got unless the other club absolutely blows them out of the water money wise. Mbappe is going to have taken PSG to the cleaners for a few more years before walking off to RM on a free most likely.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I love how wide he starts in attacks. Gives himself so much space to just blitz a fullback on the turn

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
His first touch is honestly insane. Doesn't matter how tight he is to the byline/amount of pressure he's under from opponents, he always seems to come away with it.

Grande

Fantastic for the first 25 minutes or so. Faded a bit, but had a brilliant final 10-15 minutes. He's fecking 18, and he's going to be a class.

Unfortunately I have a bad feeling that he's not gonna stick around very long.
That's the way I see it, unfortunately.
One of the Spanish teams will try and get him. Probably Madrid, they’re known for always raiding our players.
Wait a second, is this a discussion how to pronounce Wout? Or Weghorst? Or both? :lol:

At 5:17 Gullit pronounces Weghorst. At 6:16 Mulder and Gullit pronounce Weghorst. Mulder is from the East of the country. 8:07 the presenter pronounces Weghorst.
Developing nicely. Will be a fantastic player for Real.
Genuine world class talent. Will be playing in Real Madrid in 5 years time.
Wasn’t gonna bother with one, but there’s evidently a whole heap peddling this self deprecating myth.
I came to say this but then wondered who Vinicius backup is. Maybe garnacho will see being a backup there as something fruitful, play a bit part in a Madrid team and learn a ton, saving his legs a bunch of miles and being there if and when Vinicius leaves.

I have the same feeling he’ll leave, something about him reminds me of Messi’s movement, not sure what it is. If we do keep him for a couple more years it’ll be a great sign, and as long as we don’t lose him on a free
Wasn’t gonna bother with one, but there’s evidently a whole heap peddling this self deprecating myth. Ronaldo went to Real Madrid at 24. That’s the only time ever we lost a player to Real Madrid.

Ferguson sold them three players he wanted rid of, and for ample money (Beckham, Van Nistelrooy and Heinze). Real Madrid lost three players they wanted to keep to us: Di Maria, Varane and Casemiro. Apart from Ronaldo, we haven’t lost a first team player against our will to Spain since Mark Hughes went to Barca in 1987, back when English clubs were banned fom European football for five years and the all the money were in Europe.

Hackman2210

Lot of young attacking talent at UTD - Garnacho started like the best player on the planet, seems to be twice as fast as Antony, so direct. Love it - shame he didnt get his goal that he so deserved. He must love playing at OT, fans love him.
Lots of Greenwood comments on here - I see Greenwood as a Chris Waddle type of player, languid, graceful with a hammer in both feet. Garnacho reminds me of Kanchelskis - 100mph, chaotic but worth the entrance fee alone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Such an exciting player, he is why I watch football. That first 30 mins or so, he did what he wanted and they couldn't stop him.

How he didn't get an assist I don't know. It might get to a point where we start having an issue, our 2 best players are LW again.

Real Name

Wasn’t gonna bother with one, but there’s evidently a whole heap peddling this self deprecating myth.

Wasn’t gonna bother with one, but there’s evidently a whole heap peddling this self deprecating myth. Ronaldo went to Real Madrid at 24. That’s the only time ever we lost a player to Real Madrid.

Ferguson sold them three players he wanted rid of, and for ample money (Beckham, Van Nistelrooy and Heinze). Real Madrid lost three players they wanted to keep to us: Di Maria, Varane and Casemiro. Apart from Ronaldo, we haven’t lost a first team player against our will to Spain since Mark Hughes went to Barca in 1987, back when English clubs were banned fom European football for five years and the all the money were in Europe.
Wowzers, wasnt aware there's so much of these comments.

@mctrials23, read this.

Pirlo'sBeard

He's electric. You expect something to happen when the ball comes to his feet. Straight at the defender with no fear.

georgipep

Real Madrid didn't want to keep none of Di Maria, Varane and Casemiro. They maybe didn't want to sell them and could've used them as squad players but definitely didn't fight for any of them to stay.

Also, the fact that we haven't sold more players to them doesn't mean that if Garnacho wants to join them we would be able to stop him.

Trex

Real Madrid didn't want to keep none of Di Maria, Varane and Casemiro. They maybe didn't want to sell them and could've used them as squad players but definitely didn't fight for any of them to stay.

Also, the fact that we haven't sold more players to them doesn't mean that if Garnacho wants to join them we would be able to stop him.
United is a very big club! If we put our house in order and it looks like we're beginning to do so, moving to Madrid would be something a united player would only consider when they fancy a new challenge and not as a step up. The EPL is the biggest league and united is the biggest club in it albeit a sleeping giant, if fully awakened there's no better place to be.

Thaumaste

The 2 halves of this sentence have nothing to do with each other or the argument.

No team is able to stop a player who wants to join another club from eventually joining them. Obviously. Players are contracted employees, so if a player wants to leave, a club can either determine a compensatory figure they would be happy with (as we did with Ronaldo, and as Real Madrid did with Di Maria, Varane, and Casemiro), or the player can decide not to renew.

The fact that we have never had a player choose to see out a contract in order to leave for Madrid, allied to the fact that we haven't sold more players to Madrid does prove that it is absurd and largely delusory to jump to the conclusion that any Manchester United player will ultimately and inevitably leave us for Real Madrid.

And this absurd, largely delusory conclusion has been jumped to by enough posters that it's worth trying to dispel it, because it says a lot more about the posters' view of the club than it does about actual reality, as far as we can empirically grasp it.

If you want to claim that all these posters were doing was making your point that if Garnacho wants to join Real Madrid, we wouldn't eventually be able to stop him, then you're claiming that the content of these posts amounts to: if a club wants a player and the player wants to play for that club and both parties are willing to either pay enough or wait enough time for that to occur, then said club will at some point acquire said player.

Which would be the most pointless thing anyone has ever said.

georgipep

The 2 halves of this sentence have nothing to do with each other or the argument.

No team is able to stop a player who wants to join another club from eventually joining them. Obviously. Players are contracted employees, so if a player wants to leave, a club can either determine a compensatory figure they would be happy with (as we did with Ronaldo, and as Real Madrid did with Di Maria, Varane, and Casemiro), or the player can decide not to renew.
Totally. That's my point. If a player wants to leave, the fact that we haven't lost more than Ronaldo to them means nothing.

The fact that we have never had a player choose to see out a contract in order to leave for Madrid, allied to the fact that we haven't sold more players to Madrid does prove that it is absurd and largely delusory to jump to the conclusion that any Manchester United player will ultimately and inevitably leave us for Real Madrid.

And this absurd, largely delusory conclusion has been jumped to by enough posters that it's worth trying to dispel it, because it says a lot more about the posters' view of the club than it does about actual reality, as far as we can empirically grasp it.

If you want to claim that all these posters were doing was making your point that if Garnacho wants to join Real Madrid, we wouldn't eventually be able to stop him, then you're claiming that the content of these posts amounts to: if a club wants a player and the player wants to play for that club and both parties are willing to either pay enough or wait enough time for that to occur, then said club will at some point acquire said player.

Which would be the most pointless thing anyone has ever said.
I think you are looking at this the wrong way. I'm sure we have and have had many players who would've gone to Real Madrid, if they were wanted.

Hughes35

Massive talent and the arrogance you need to be a top player.

Still a lot to work on, but no doubt he will go on to have a brilliant career.

georgipep

United is a very big club! If we put our house in order and it looks like we're beginning to do so, moving to Madrid would be something a united player would only consider when they fancy a new challenge and not as a step up. The EPL is the biggest league and united is the biggest club in it albeit a sleeping giant, if fully awakened there's no better place to be.
No doubt about that but Barcelona and Real Madrid are attractive to players regardless of the size of Manchester United or the strength of the Premier League.

Idxomer

If you're worried about a Spanish club signing him, it should be Barca who doesn't have a good left winger and loves a freebie.

Madrid don't know what to do with Rodrygo a lot of the time because his best position is also on the left.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
No doubt about that but Barcelona and Real Madrid are attractive to players regardless of the size of Manchester United or the strength of the Premier League.
All the big clubs are attractive for one reason or another. Not just Real, Barca or United. A lot of people have an inferiority complex with Madrid just because they took Ronaldo.

Thaumaste

Totally. That's my point. If a player wants to leave, the fact that we haven't lost more than Ronaldo to them means nothing.

Yes, but this applies to any player at any club with reference to any other club. It is a basic fact of employment law. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the claim that Garnacho will inevitably choose to leave us for Real Madrid.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. I'm sure we have and have had many players who would've gone to Real Madrid, if they were wanted.

Right, so your argument is that in the history of Manchester United, Alejandro Garnacho is only the 5th player (6th if you count Chicharito) who will be or has been desirable or desired by Real Madrid? Because if there had been more, they all would have inevitably ended up playing for them, correct?

Sure. Now it all makes sense that so many people know he will definitely choose to leave us and play for them.

georgipep

@Thaumaste
Where did I say that Garnacho will want to leave? I have no clue. But if he does, there's little we can do stop him.

And yes, that is the case for any club.I am not arguing we have a unique situation going on.

Also, if you think other players have been wanted by Real Madrid, can you please give me some examples?

georgipep

All the big clubs are attractive for one reason or another. Not just Real, Barca or United. A lot of people have an inferiority complex with Madrid just because they took Ronaldo.
In my opinion, it's not about Ronaldo at all. We actually did well in that case, held strong for another season and then got a world-record fee.

My point is that if we are in competition with Real Madrid (or Barcelona) for a player, they would win 99% of the time. And it's not because of money.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Such an exciting player, he is why I watch football. That first 30 mins or so, he did what he wanted and they couldn't stop him.

How he didn't get an assist I don't know. It might get to a point where we start having an issue, our 2 best players are LW again.
I don't see how this becomes a problem, not for Rashford and Garnacho at least. We have enough games for them, especially considering Rashford often moves to CF in the games.

Sancho is obviously the biggest mystery here as he seems tier 2 for LW position. Hopefully he will be a competition for Antony though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pretty sure at the time Atleti were very upset about it too, can see why!
Atletico Madrid were obviously not happy and according to reports we had to move very quickly to seal the deal, which only cost us a £100k according to The Athletic. And the youngster was signed via the scouting structure put in place by John Murtough at youth level, which was a team led by David Harrison and the lead scout in Spain was Gérardo Guzman. Its why I've got a lot of time for Murtough.

We keep hearing about why we didn't move early for certain players at first team level. But at development level we have moved early and Garnacho will be one of several youngsters that will benefit ten Hag in the coming years and we picked him for peanuts.

Thaumaste

@Thaumaste
Where did I say that Garnacho will want to leave? I have no clue. But if he does, there's little we can do stop him.

And yes, that is the case for any club.I am not arguing we have a unique situation going on.

Also, if you think other players have been wanted by Real Madrid, can you please give me some examples?
You wrote an original comment in defence of the posters who were suggesting it was inevitable that Garnacho will move to Real Madrid.

Of course I can't give you examples, because I have zero knowledge of the inner workings of the Real Madrid administration, now or at any time in the past.

But unless we are to assume that all of Madrid's transfer desires are inevitably realised, then we need to assume that they have coveted other players than those they've signed. And it is patently obvious that Manchester United has had numerous players throughout their history who were superior than their Real Madrid counterparts at particular moments in time, and indeed who were among the best players in the world. Unless you then also assume that these great players simply weren't of interest to Madrid (when obviously players like Best, Law, Charlton, Robson, Scholes, Keane, Schmeichel, Ferdinand, Stam, etc., etc. would have been of interest to every major club at their peaks, which were all spent with us), then you're forced to conclude that it is possible for Manchester United to hold onto many great players regardless of the interest of other football clubs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't see how this becomes a problem, not for Rashford and Garnacho at least. We have enough games for them, especially considering Rashford often moves to CF in the games.

Sancho is obviously the biggest mystery here as he seems tier 2 for LW position. Hopefully he will be a competition for Antony though.
It becomes a problem when 1 of them think they're the best and should be starting. It starts creating bad feeling in the squad, and 1 of them will likely want to leave.

Obviously competition is healthy, but usually you have a leader and a chaser putting on the pressure etc. Shaw/Malacia for example.

I know it's quite in the future, but if Garnacho keeps improving and showing this kind of quality, how will we get him on the pitch without moving Rashford to striker or right wing, and how will that effect his form?

It's just a bit frustrating that's all.

Monks_United

Wowzers on the folks going into a tailspin with the Real Madrid stuff. Just because the teams doing reasonably well on the pitch does not mean you all need to find a new reason to disappoint yourselves over you know.

I think he has done well with the limited time he has played for us but is still a long way from being a finished product. What I have come to appreciate significantly over time is his ability to go both directions. I don't think anyone playing on the wing for us has done that in recent memory except maybe Greenwood (and even he mostly pulled it onto his right for a shot and not a cross or pass). This makes him so much tougher to defend compared to going inside every time

Sviken

Its not a mindset, its just reality. Almost every player in the world would go to RM over United and far more players from Europe/South America have dreams of playing for RM than United.

Better climate, better city to live in, better family life, guaranteed to be in the CL/title fight every season. I don't think there are that many players that RM have gone in for hard that they haven't got unless the other club absolutely blows them out of the water money wise. Mbappe is going to have taken PSG to the cleaners for a few more years before walking off to RM on a free most likely.
No, it's not the reality. When was the last time we lost a player to Madrid who we didn't want to let go? Ronaldo is the only one I can think off since SAF wanted to bin both Beckham and Nistelrooy. Once we sort our shit out with the owners, Madrid wouldn't really be a problem for us, especially since the PL is THE league to play in right now.

10 years ago we were the richest and most popular club in the world. With new competent owners, we can be on that pedestal again.

georgipep

You wrote an original comment in defence of the posters who were suggesting it was inevitable that Garnacho will move to Real Madrid.

Of course I can't give you examples, because I have zero knowledge of the inner workings of the Real Madrid administration, now or at any time in the past.

But unless we are to assume that all of Madrid's transfer desires are inevitably realised, then we need to assume that they have coveted other players than those they've signed. And it is patently obvious that Manchester United has had numerous players throughout their history who were superior than their Real Madrid counterparts at particular moments in time, and indeed who were among the best players in the world. Unless you then also assume that these great players simply weren't of interest to Madrid (when obviously players like Best, Law, Charlton, Robson, Scholes, Keane, Schmeichel, Ferdinand, Stam, etc., etc. would have been of interest to every major club at their peaks, which were all spent with us), then you're forced to conclude that it is possible for Manchester United to hold onto many great players regardless of the interest of other football clubs.
My comment was about the likelihood of us being able to keep Garnacho if he wants to leave.

So, you don't know anything about Real Madrid's transfer targets but are assuming they have wanted players from us that they weren't able to get? Riiiiiight...

Thaumaste

My comment was about the likelihood of us being able to keep Garnacho if he wants to leave.

So, you don't know anything about Real Madrid's transfer targets but are assuming they have wanted players from us that they weren't able to get? Riiiiiight...
Yes, I've openly made a single assumption which I've explained as part of a developed argument.

You have made a declarative statement based on numerous implicit assumptions that you've neglected to discuss.

And your basic statement, as I made clear in my opening response, has nothing directly to do with the discussion being had here, since all you've done is state that players can move between clubs should they and the clubs wish, if time and money are no object.

Which is a pointless truism and irrelevant to the likelihood or otherwise of Garnacho moving from Manchester United to Real Madrid.

I'm not sure why I bothered to spell this out repeatedly when you either chose to ignore or failed to understand my first response.

Anyway, I won't derail the thread further.

Garnacho is fab and I love watching him brashly toying with his fullback like he did in the first half hour last night.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fantastic for the first 25 minutes or so. Faded a bit, but had a brilliant final 10-15 minutes. He's fecking 18, and he's going to be a class.

Unfortunately I have a bad feeling that he's not gonna stick around very long.
That's the way I see it, unfortunately.
I came to say this but then wondered who Vinicius backup is. Maybe garnacho will see being a backup there as something fruitful, play a bit part in a Madrid team and learn a ton, saving his legs a bunch of miles and being there if and when Vinicius leaves.

I have the same feeling he’ll leave, something about him reminds me of Messi’s movement, not sure what it is. If we do keep him for a couple more years it’ll be a great sign, and as long as we don’t lose him on a free
Has he signed a new contract already?
Genuine world class talent. Will be playing in Real Madrid in 5 years time.
Why do you all think he’ll leave?

I’m sure you are aware his current contract is until mid 2025 so he’s here at minimum a couple more years. The club are also working on a new contract for the summer.

Yeah that’s factually incorrect.

Madrid wanted to keep Casemiro and weren’t shy about saying it. Look it up.

SAFMUTD

I’m sure you are aware his current contract is until mid 2025 so he’s here at minimum a couple more years. The club are also working on a new contract for the summer.
By somethings I've read he's a massive Ronaldo fan (from his time in Madrid, not with us) so Real Madrid has a stronger pull than us. Also he was born in Madrid, so being close to his family, playing with his childhood club, etc

Or simply having a youngster whos excelling with a short term contract we're at risk that another top club wants to steal him offering way more wages than we currently plan, anyway its not a good a idea to let time run by without renewing his contract.

TheRedHearted

Yeah that’s factually incorrect.

Madrid wanted to keep Casemiro and weren’t shy about saying it. Look it up.
I’m happy to hear it explores in 25, thought it was sooner.
Think he could leave cause rashford is at the club at the same position. It depends whether we have turned into a developing club again, which I think we have. At that point it may be rashford that moves on before him, and if he trust our structure then he could stay and depends where we are at that point.

It’s funny cause no one felt as if Greenwood would leave, but we do believe South Americans always look towards Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.