g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Alejandro Garnacho image 17

Alejandro Garnacho Argentina flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

united for life

Second season syndrome. Happens to all young players after a sharp debut season - Rashford, Martial, MG had the same.

How he makes it out the other end will determine his future. I'm not too worried.
martial is still going through the second season syndrome.

I feel garnacho is now better as an impact player off the bench rather than a starter. I think that will anyway be his role once Hojlund is fit and marcus moves back to LW.

Pickle85

martial is still going through the second season syndrome.

I feel garnacho is now better as an impact player off the bench rather than a starter. I think that will anyway be his role once Hojlund is fit and marcus moves back to LW.
Agreed...it's to be expected. Even Greenwood was a bit patchy, from memory, the season after his breakout. As you say, fully expect him to go back to starting on the bench once Rashford moves left.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just watching the Wolves game now since I didn't manage to see either of the first 2... he was absolutely tumescent in that. Can't forget 2nd season syndrome for young players. He's extremely talented but he's really young, I'm sure he'll have his moments but probably a bit yet as an impact sub.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I doubt it's second season syndrome over there being an enormous difference playing as a starter as opposed to a player coming off the bench against tired legs who is able to empty the tank in the 30 minutes he has on the pitch.

Garnacho is more than likely just as effective as a sub now (as in right now) as he was last season when being lauded.

He isn't at all ready to be a starter, which is why that vs Januzaj thread was so off in assessment.

criticalanalysis

I doubt it's second season syndrome over there being an enormous difference playing as a starter as opposed to a player coming off the bench against tired legs who is able to empty the tank in the 30 minutes he has on the pitch.

Garnacho is more than likely just as effective as a sub now (as in right now) as he was last season when being lauded.

He isn't at all ready to be a starter, which is why that vs Januzaj thread was so off in assessment.
I've seen you mention this a few times now and I love it :lol:

Januzaj was the technical, silky, playmaker we could have had during that midfielder wilderness phase and I am always salty that it never worked out :( I really rated him and thought 'he could have been it' for us. Such a shame. I am now pinning all my hopes on the Mainoo, Mejbri and to a lesser extent Gore and Hansen generation.

It's not a criticism on Garnacho, who has been electric but it was clear even from his performances last season that his technique and decision making are too raw to the ridiculous comparisons to Ronaldo and even the one who shall not be named etc.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've seen you mention this a few times now and I love it :lol:

Januzaj was the technical, silky, playmaker we could have had during that midfielder wilderness phase and I am always salty that it never worked out :( I really rated him and thought 'he could have been it' for us. Such a shame. I am now pinning all my hopes on the Mainoo, Mejbri and to a lesser extent Gore and Hansen generation.

It's not a criticism on Garnacho, who has been electric but it was clear even from his performances last season that his technique and decision making are too raw to the ridiculous comparisons to Ronaldo and even the one who shall not be named etc.
Yeah, I can see why he's liked, but I make sure not to comment on him too much at the moment because he's so young and raw and warrants the time and patience to work on his game without criticism.

The Januzaj thing is more about the underestimation of the weight of expectation being put on such young shoulders and the player still being able to not only deliver, but be one of the leading lights in the team, as a starter. It's such a massive leap.

aeh1991

Apparently he liked Romano's instagram post about Greenwood leaving.

SER19

Such high hopes for him this season. Very disappointing start, but early days. Will be harder to force his way in when Hojlund fit and rashford on left though

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Such high hopes for him this season. Very disappointing start, but early days. Will be harder to force his way in when Hojlund fit and rashford on left though
Maybe he can play on the right

Sylar

Lovely composed finish. Thought he made the right run too. Such a shame

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The problem we now have (one of many) if our best 2 players e.g Alejandro and Marcus are both happiest and most productive from the left. We need to figure out how to shoe horn them both into the team without Marcus going through the middle or to the right!

Ibi Dreams

The problem we now have (one of many) if our best 2 players e.g Alejandro and Marcus are both happiest and most productive from the left. We need to figure out how to shoe horn them both into the team without Marcus going through the middle or to the right!
Not a huge problem when Garnacho has always been best as a sub so far. Keep bringing him on at 60 minutes, gives Marcus a rest and gives Garnacho time to do his thing.

Superunknown

The answer is just to overload everyone on that side and play without a right wing.

(or keep using Garnacho as a super-sub to stretch the play in the second half of games, or find a way to get Garnacho to play on the right. Maybe alternating with Rashford?)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Get them both on but have them swapping wings so they each get their time on the left. I think having Hojlund as a left footed up there it helps.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not to be too harsh on the lad - it was a great finish, but really, he didn't need to be offside there. He should have checked his run/made sure he was behind as he basically had the whole of the middle of the pitch to himself.

Bwuk

I'd be tempted to give him a shot at RW.

I get he prefers coming in from the left but it's got to be worth a shot.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Not to be too harsh on the lad - it was a great finish, but really, he didn't need to be offside there. He should have checked his run/made sure he was behind as he basically had the whole of the middle of the pitch to himself.
It was so marginal (Sky were talking about his shoulder being offside) I don’t think you can blame him.
It’s the rule that is flawed. We’ve been told for years that the attacker will be given the benefit of the doubt and it just never happens. How he can be judged to have an advantage over his opponent in that situation I don’t know.

Mike Smalling

I'd be tempted to give him a shot at RW.

I get he prefers coming in from the left but it's got to be worth a shot.
Agree - against weaker opponents it's definitely worth a shot. Him and Rashford can also swap positions during the game. When we play against better sides, Antony still has some value due to his good defensive work.

Jeffthered

How some people are judging him so harshly I find sad. What a young player to have at our club? He's fantastic.. he hasn't started the season so well, but look at us? Who has? And who can he turn to guidance and leadership? Bruno? Rashford?

Onana has come in and seems to have more personality about him than many of the players.

Garnacho took that goal yesterday like the player who is... quite a beautiful moment. Keep working with him. I wouldn't mind a front three of Rashford-Rasmus-Garnacho... just tell them to run riot. They are young, should be an absolute handful to play against. That's what I want to see.

Let's lay off Garnacho, because we need to nurture his talent ok.

The Hilton

He's so dangerous off the bench, hopefully he can start converting that into good performances from the start, as he hasn't really delivered from the start in a match that I can remember.

Pronewbie

Peep
How some people are judging him so harshly I find sad. What a young player to have at our club? He's fantastic.. he hasn't started the season so well, but look at us? Who has? And who can he turn to guidance and leadership? Bruno? Rashford?

Onana has come in and seems to have more personality about him than many of the players.

Garnacho took that goal yesterday like the player who is... quite a beautiful moment. Keep working with him. I wouldn't mind a front three of Rashford-Rasmus-Garnacho... just tell them to run riot. They are young, should be an absolute handful to play against. That's what I want to see.

Let's lay off Garnacho, because we need to nurture his talent ok.
We kind of need a talisman unfortunately so the demands on the lad is pretty high. I'm glad he hasn't shrunk like a violet and hope he improves further because those 1st 2 matches he played this season is NOT the level he's capable of.

RuudTom83

It only becomes a problem when Garnacho can put a performance together over 90 minutes.

For now EtH has to focus on results, so it should be Rashford starting, with Garnacho coming on around 70 min mark.

His goal should of stood but you get some decisions either way.

Mcking

Think the Arsenal defender stepped up just before Casemiro made the pass.

Jacob

Him, Rashford and Hojlund looks like a tasty trio.

Unfortunately nobody is natural on the right.

RedStarUnited

He actually checked/curved his run, this is where he is as Hojlund is about to receive it.

]

He starts to curve the run now

If Casimiro has a better picture of where Garnacho is here, he can play the ball through to him without taking a touch. its the touch that allows Gabriel to adjust slightly.

So if anything its a shame that it was Casemiro there and not Eriksen or Bruno. Bruno for sure attempts that pass first time without a touch.

Oranges038

He did. It was a ridiculously tight var call.

criticalanalysis

He actually checked/curved his run, this is where he is as Hojlund is about to receive it.

]

He starts to curve the run now

If Casimiro has a better picture of where Garnacho is here, he can play the ball through to him without taking a touch. its the touch that allows Gabriel to adjust slightly.

So if anything its a shame that it was Casemiro there and not Eriksen or Bruno. Bruno for sure attempts that pass first time without a touch.
That's ridiculously harsh on Casemiro there. He took a good touch to get the ball away under his feet from what was a clever but slightly awkward ball to control from Hojlund and then played a first time through ball all on his weaker foot in literally, what 2 seconds?

It all started iirc from a Bruno interception and then in typical Bruno fashion he plays a loose pass in front of Casemiro (where he could have possibly played a first time through ball/chipped pass to a running Garnacho if it was right) but both he and Hojlund had to check their run.