2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Unam333

No one else did it against Wigan though did they? Most of our players looked bang average out there.
I thought we played really well collectively and individually. The standout players were Mainoo and Garnacho, but Wigan were just awful, especially the last half hour. Misplaced passes and such. They're not a very good team. Easy to play against.

AndySmith1990

Whether it's at the expense of Rashford or Antony I don't really care, either way Garnacho needs to be starting from now on as he's better than the pair of them. I mean that's a low bar, I'm not rating Gernacho as highly as some, but there's something about him that suggests he could become a top player

Grande

That shot that hit the bar.
With the left foot. So far, based on such as that shot and his cross to Højlund, he looks to have an even higher potential from the right, because he may change it up more.

Towards the end he made a lot of mistakes, and he defended worse than normally, but with his intensity and decisiveness, given time, he can be a really good option on the right maybe.

captain666

With the left foot. So far, based on such as that shot and his cross to Højlund, he looks to have an even higher potential from the right, because he may change it up more.

Towards the end he made a lot of mistakes, and he defended worse than normally, but with his intensity and decisiveness, given time, he can be a really good option on the right maybe.
The diamond just needs a little polish!It will come I'm sure

Rossa

I feel sorry for fans who've only grown up with inverted wingers and think its the way it has to be.

Best thing in football is a winger bombing down the touchline, doing everything quickly, first time.

It's the basics of chance creation that forsome reason we overcomplicate and think we're too special for.
It is quite fun, isn't it?

Reminded me a little of Kanschelskis out there yesterday. There were a couple of times when he dribbled with two players, got stuck and then just kicked the ball and ran for it, and I thought "idiotic", but then he managed to outpace them going on the outside. He's actually more creative and unpredictable on the right than he appears on the left. Sweet shot with his left foot that hit the bar as well. He's no young Giggs, no Nani in terms of trickery, but he's very tenacious.

Loved how he pushed that turd McMannaman who ran into Garnacho and clearly fouled him.

Rossa

He tends to tire towards the end of matches - he makes so many high intensity sprints that it's not that concerning; it's on ETH to notice when to pull him off and coach him into not taking all of those runs.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm surprised this thread is so quiet today, and I'm surprised Garnacho is doing so well on the right. I have to admit I did not see that hapenning.

It's only Wigan but there just seems much more variety to his game, and his decision making seems better as well. Early days but looks like he's more natural as RW at the moment and I think we should keep continue playing him there.

I want to see Dalot and Garnacho on the right wing. Maybe we just need to shift the weight of playing football to center and right and limit the number of times Rashford can lose the ball.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Yeah. Didn't know that his cross could be that good. His style really reminds me of Federico Chiesa, another player that I wish we had.

Nickelodeon

Two-footedness has become extremely critical in wingers and our boy is doing really well on that front. His ability to shoot with his left is really encouraging.

TheReligion

Abusive
Quite impressed how he’s been able to move from wing to wing whilst remaining effective. Sign of a good player who is not only very coachable but has a selfless attitude.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He should stay on right wing permanently. I think that he is even better there than on left wing and by far our best choice there.
It is good to have at least on one wing a player who can cut inside and play down the line. Those winger are much harder to defend.

MiracleInMadrid

One of very few players who seem to go into every game with the right mind set. Constantly attacking. And has gone from making all the wrong decisions to making a lot of right decisions.

He's really worked his way in to the team. I'm thoroughly impressed and he's maybe the one player I look forward to watching before every match. Him and Mainoo.

Grande

He tends to tire towards the end of matches - he makes so many high intensity sprints that it's not that concerning; it's on ETH to notice when to pull him off and coach him into not taking all of those runs.
Yeah. Didn't know that his cross could be that good. His style really reminds me of Federico Chiesa, another player that I wish we had.
I'm surprised this thread is so quiet today, and I'm surprised Garnacho is doing so well on the right. I have to admit I did not see that hapenning.

It's only Wigan but there just seems much more variety to his game, and his decision making seems better as well. Early days but looks like he's more natural as RW at the moment and I think we should keep continue playing him there.

I want to see Dalot and Garnacho on the right wing. Maybe we just need to shift the weight of playing football to center and right and limit the number of times Rashford can lose the ball.
It seems we are several who wants to see more of it. After years of hoarding left sided forwards who can’t really play on the right here (Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Sancho), it is great to see two good games in a row from a LB who looks better already than our two pure RW options this season (Antony and Pellistri). This is also why quite a few wants to see more of Amad after a mere promising fifteen minutes.

I guess it’simportant to say it’s early days, but to me, 180 mins of Garnacho and 15 mins of Diallo at this point makes me try to remember right wing performances that were clearly better. I am in fact stretching my mind here, which in itself is insane. Maybe Anyony has a couple, Rashford maybe one or two. Maybe Bruno has one. Sanchez second half vs City in 2017? It’s not been overflowing!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It seems we are several who wants to see more of it. After years of hoarding left sided forwards who can’t really play on the right here (Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Sancho), it is great to see two good games in a row from a LB who looks better already than our two pure RW options this season (Antony and Pellistri). This is also why quite a few wants to see more of Amad after a mere promising fifteen minutes.

I guess it’simportant to say it’s early days, but to me, 180 mins of Garnacho and 15 mins of Diallo at this point makes me try to remember right wing performances that were clearly better. I am in fact stretching my mind here, which in itself is insane. Maybe Anyony has a couple, Rashford maybe one or two. Maybe Bruno has one. Sanchez second half vs City in 2017? It’s not been overflowing!
This issue of wingers not being able on the other wing is often overblown though. Rashford is equally bad on RW and just makes even more dead-brain decisions, Antony is barely an attacker so can't be expected to do any better in other attacking positions, Sancho IMO was always a better candidate for RW than LW because he was expected to beat the defender 1on1 on LW what simply isn't his strength while on RW he could play a bit more like a playmaker. ETH preferred Antony last season and this season it's a different story.

It is early days but at least watching Garnacho and Amad you can see their strengths and what they are capable of, while watching Antony and Pellistri always makes me think how limited those players are.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
It was strange seeing one of our wingers drive to the byline and whip a cross in with their strong foot. Has to play RW moving forward, been really impressed with him there. That shot with the weaker foot after cutting inside had shades of Ronaldo!

Pronewbie

Peep

He plays RW like how I hope Pellistri would. With drive, verve and a touch of trickery. As long as our boy keeps his head down the sky's the limit.

Alemar

I guess it’simportant to say it’s early days, but to me, 180 mins of Garnacho and 15 mins of Diallo at this point makes me try to remember right wing performances that were clearly better.
There were several better performances. I remember some from Kanchelskis, from Beckham, from young Cristiano, from Greenwood - all of those had some excellent matches at RW in their times

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He plays RW like how I hope Pellistri would. With drive, verve and a touch of trickery. As long as our boy keeps his head down the sky's the limit.
That is a good point and a nice comparison. Pellistri is a runner for me, not particularly impressive with the ball though. Garnacho looks like his pace alone gets him a yard on the defenders to get a pass/cross in.

Grande

There were several better performances. I remember some from Kanchelskis, from Beckham, from young Cristiano, from Greenwood - all of those had some excellent matches at RW in their times
If you need to go that far back, it underlines my point (Don’t forget Best and Meredith!), as I was referring to a current, longstanding issue. I did forget Greenwood, probably because I didn’t want to think about him. He probably had a few RW performances that was better. Still, he wasn’t that often a shoe in for the right flank, at least for me it was the hope/feeling he’d be more effictive centrally when maturing.

This issue of wingers not being able on the other wing is often overblown though. Rashford is equally bad on RW and just makes even more dead-brain decisions, Antony is barely an attacker so can't be expected to do any better in other attacking positions, Sancho IMO was always a better candidate for RW than LW because he was expected to beat the defender 1on1 on LW what simply isn't his strength while on RW he could play a bit more like a playmaker. ETH preferred Antony last season and this season it's a different story.

It is early days but at least watching Garnacho and Amad you can see their strengths and what they are capable of, while watching Antony and Pellistri always makes me think how limited those players are.
This post confuses me. Are you confusing left and right? Are you saying Rashford is equally good on either side? What is overblown?

tomaldinho1

I think everyone is waiting to see if he’s actually close to being two footed or if that thunderbolt shot was a one off. I can’t see him being a classic winger but if he can come inside and have a good shot from the left foot, he could be great on the right. I also did not see this coming as I though he was pretty dominant with his right foot.

As you say, it’s Wigan so hard to judge until we see him across a run of a few games.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This post confuses me. Are you confusing left and right? Are you saying Rashford is equally good on either side? What is overblown?
When Rashford is on a bad form (like now), it doesn't really matter where he plays. The only thing he can do effectively is cut inside and shoot, and since he doesn't really cross the ball, it makes sense to play him on the left, but it's not a huge difference. He had one good performance on the RW when he was just playing it simple, but he also looked half arsed so that's another topic.

Regarding the "overblown" comment - If a player is playing great on one side then I wouldn't move him to another position, but since it's not the situation for any of our attacking players at the moment, I don't mind shifting players around to try to find a working formula.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think everyone is waiting to see if he’s actually close to being two footed or if that thunderbolt shot was a one off. I can’t see him being a classic winger but if he can come inside and have a good shot from the left foot, he could be great on the right. I also did not see this coming as I though he was pretty dominant with his right foot.

As you say, it’s Wigan so hard to judge until we see him across a run of a few games.
The fact he's been linking up well, shooting, crossing is good enough for me. This is far more important than just cutting in and taking a shot. One thing with Garnacho is his shooting technique is quite good, so I like that he's getting into those situations.
On the left I don't like him running into players and to the byline too often without looking for passing option. It's like whoever plays on the left is just in "put your head down and run" mode.

tomaldinho1

The fact he's been linking up well, shooting, crossing is good enough for me. This is far more important than just cutting in and taking a shot. One thing with Garnacho is his shooting technique is quite good, so I like that he's getting into those situations.
On the left I don't like him running into players and to the byline too often without looking for passing option. It's like whoever plays on the left is just in "put your head down and run" mode.
I want to see him there for a few games before calling it. I fear against good LBs who can match him for pace he might struggle - that said, he is much faster with the ball than Antony. It would be irionic if after signing all these players who want to play LW, the academy LW product ends up RW and we buy a new LW (or the pariah Sancho returns…)

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I want to see him there for a few games before calling it. I fear against good LBs who can match him for pace he might struggle - that said, he is much faster with the ball than Antony. It would be irionic if after signing all these players who want to play LW, the academy LW product ends up RW and we buy a new LW (or the pariah Sancho returns…)
I agree, this is a worry but what is more important for me is that he was doing much more than just challenging the fullback (what he does 95% of the time playing on the LW). He just looked very comfortable on the right.

I also think usually our RW gets more free space as most of the game goes through the left as that's where Rashford is double marked and Bruno tends to drift there as well. So it makes sense to have an attacker on the right rather than a wide midfielder like Antony.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope Amad and Garnacho establish themselves so we can kiss Rashford goodbye. Garnacho is really getting better and better, he will be XI next season. Amad and Mainoo are the other 2 that I hope. It is lower the average age of this team.

Grande

When Rashford is on a bad form (like now), it doesn't really matter where he plays. The only thing he can do effectively is cut inside and shoot, and since he doesn't really cross the ball, it makes sense to play him on the left, but it's not a huge difference. He had one good performance on the RW when he was just playing it simple, but he also looked half arsed so that's another topic.

Regarding the "overblown" comment - If a player is playing great on one side then I wouldn't move him to another position, but since it's not the situation for any of our attacking players at the moment, I don't mind shifting players around to try to find a working formula.
I see. My previous post was more about the situation over the last few years, not just this season. Another thing is the fact that most coaches will prefer to let an out-of-form player play in their accustomed position simply because that is where they are most likely to regain their form. It’s easier to switch around when you are in flow and confidence is high. Of course there are exceptions. Regardless, as my point was about our RW position, I think it’s fair to say Rashford isn’t the solution to that wether on or off form.

gaffs

It was strange seeing one of our wingers drive to the byline and whip a cross in with their strong foot. Has to play RW moving forward, been really impressed with him there. That shot with the weaker foot after cutting inside had shades of Ronaldo!
Totally agree. Hojland needs feeding from wide. A lot of his Atalanta and Demark goals came this way - see his hatrick for Denmark.

Just because Arsenal and City play inverted wingers, doesn't mean we have to.

RuudTom83

It's great for his development to spend some time on the RW, especially when its still only his second season in the first team. Being a threat on either wing is a big bonus for the manager.

Just need to decide in the summer which side he is going to play on predominantly and target a transfer for the opposite wing.

tothetop96

Clear bias here. Last I checked the stats (maybe last week or so) nobody on our team had lost the ball more than Garnacho this season, despite him playing less than Rashford. It's crazy how people just see the things they want to and discount the things they don't. A lot of the fanbase have a negative agenda when it comes to Rashford and a positive one when it comes to Garnacho.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Clear bias here. Last I checked the stats (maybe last week or so) nobody on our team had lost the ball more than Garnacho this season, despite him playing less than Rashford. It's crazy how people just see the things they want to and discount the things they don't. A lot of the fanbase have a negative agenda when it comes to Rashford and a positive one when it comes to Garnacho.
Probably because one is 19 yo developing quickly and the second is a senior player who can't be arsed half of the time. Also one of them is still trying, while the other seems to have given up on this season already. That's my "agenda" at least.

tothetop96

Probably because one is 19 yo developing quickly and the second is a senior player who can't be arsed half of the time. Also one of them is still trying, while the other seems to have given up on this season already. That's my "agenda" at least.
At least you admit you are biased and your opinion of the players is not actually based in reality

Borys

Statistics Wizard
At least you admit you are biased and your opinion of the players is not actually based in reality
OK mate. Whatever gets you through the night.
I am biased towards players that not are immensely talented, but also actually try. BTW one of the reason I never really warmed to Pogba.

ForeverRed1

I thought we played really well collectively and individually. The standout players were Mainoo and Garnacho, but Wigan were just awful, especially the last half hour. Misplaced passes and such. They're not a very good team. Easy to play against.
maybe so but not everyone did play well, so they still stand out.