Aleksandar Mitrović | Fulham ruin his life

Strootman's Finger

Why do our own fans parrot the garbage the media spouts? Mitrovic and Bruno incidents aren't remotely the same thing, defend your players, don't pile onto media bullshit.

Crimson King

Why do our own fans parrot the garbage the media spouts? Mitrovic and Bruno incidents aren't remotely the same thing, defend your players, don't pile onto media bullshit.
There are some proper wombles on here who apply Gary Neville's logic of being an unbiased fan, that's why they do it.

Crimson King

It wasn't so much the push. That was a red card but if he'd just accepted that he would have got the basic 3 game ban and it would have been the end of it. It was the way he aggressively went after the ref afterwards in a way that did look like he was on the verge of physically assaulting him that can't be accepted. That is what is going to see him get a more significant ban.
Exactly, the reaction was the really ugly part. They need to come down strongly on that.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

BorisManUtd

Really weird to see people comparing Bruno and Mitrović incidents. Not similar in any way. I expect Mitro to get bigger suspension than 3 games definitely. He was out of order completely and killed Fulham's chances in that game and made them play without him through most of April probably. Is probably frustrated with himself now after he cooled down.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think what the adults are trying to do is indicate that there are nuances to every situation. None of them are comparable to each other. Those arguing that the Bruno and the linesman one is the same thing are clutching at straws and really just making themselves look stupid.
I'd probably put them as follows:

Fabinho: Nothing in it.
Fernandes: Doesn't look good but not as bad as Mitrovic.
Mitrovic: Stepped over the line and should be given a longer ban so that players understand they can't do that. Maybe 6 games?

Fernandes kind of lightly pushes the linesman out of his way whereas Mitrovic is full on in the referee's face. That's where the difference is. I do think there's more in common between the Fernandes and Mitrovic incidents though, than there is between Fabinho and Fernandes.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'd probably put them as follows:

Fabinho: Nothing in it.
Fernandes: Doesn't look good but not as bad as Mitrovic.
Mitrovic: Stepped over the line and should be given a longer ban so that players understand they can't do that. Maybe 6 games?

Fernandes kind of lightly pushes the linesman out of his way whereas Mitrovic is full on in the referee's face. That's where the difference is. I do think there's more in common between the Fernandes and Mitrovic incidents though, than there is between Fabinho and Fernandes.
I agree with that but that's the point isn't it. No two incidences of something are ever 'exactly' the same. This "Bruno did it the other week" argument topped with a side serving of "all the big clubs, especially United, get the decisions all the time" is facile in the extreme.

The thing that really grinds my goat about it is that the thing that kicked it all off was probably the most obvious pen and red card of the season! :houllier:

DavidDeSchmikes

I agree with that but that's the point isn't it. No two incidences of something are ever 'exactly' the same. This "Bruno did it the other week" argument topped with a side serving of "all the big clubs, especially United, get the decisions all the time" is facile in the extreme.

The thing that really grinds my goat about it is that the thing that kicked it all off was probably the most obvious pen and red card of the season! :houllier:
It's Bruno's fault that Mitrovic got a red card after an obvious handball

Herman Toothrot

Exactly, the reaction was the really ugly part. They need to come down strongly on that.
I didn't really see it at the game and I only saw it back on YouTube after a few drinks. I think they minimised how much was shown on United's YouTube channel. I will have another look this evening.

scottser

bruno was very lucky not to get a yellow. it's downright stupid to think you can put your hand on an official and get away with it.
mitrovic's behaviour however, deserves at least a 6 game ban on top of the mandatory 3.

Zen

I genuinely can't believe some of the lengths being discussed over this. If they do it then breathing in the refs direction should be a yellow from that moment on. Giving him a (overly extreme example) 1 year ban isn't going to stop parents harassing refs that send off their spoilt kids.

And seeing comparison to Cantona and Di Canio are great. :lol:

JagUTD

bruno was very lucky not to get a yellow. it's downright stupid to think you can put your hand on an official and get away with it.
mitrovic's behaviour however, deserves at least a 6 game ban on top of the mandatory 3.
Linesman put their hand on Bruno first...

You can't be telling players they cannot touch referees for any reason and then have the refs touching the players.

mu4c_20le

I genuinely can't believe some of the lengths being discussed over this. If they do it then breathing in the refs direction should be a yellow from that moment on. Giving him a (overly extreme example) 1 year ban isn't going to stop parents harassing refs that send off their spoilt kids.

And seeing comparison to Cantona and Di Canio are great. :lol:
It's typical ABU nonsense

Blood Mage

ABUs are just in despair that we're good again and about to get ME money to top it off. Just let them throw their tantrums.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Yeah I don't really understand Mitrovic's reaction either. It was a clear handball.

scottser

Linesman put their hand on Bruno first...

You can't be telling players they cannot touch referees for any reason and then have the refs touching the players.
it doesn't make it right though. bruno shouldn't have put his hand on the ref, no player should, under any circumstances. you don't want to introduce a scenario where you can touch an official in one context but not in another; that just creates a mess for everyone.

JagUTD

it doesn't make it right though. bruno shouldn't have put his hand on the ref, no player should, under any circumstances. you don't want to introduce a scenario where you can touch an official in one context but not in another; that just creates a mess for everyone.
So what punishment should the linesman have had?

Consider only recently fans have received lengthy bans or even criminal convictions for touching/attacking players. We were protecting them only last season.

So yellow for Bruno and demotion for 1 game for the linesman would have been fair?

scottser

Consider only recently fans have received lengthy bans or even criminal convictions for touching/attacking players. We were protecting them only last season.

So yellow for Bruno and demotion for 1 game for the linesman would have been fair?

so every player who touches an opposing player, or someone in the crowd, or anybody else in the stadium gets penalised in your book?
weird strawman you're building there buddy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Does this matter much? I mean the grassroot level refs are gonna get abuse and threats from crazy parents and others nevertheless. I don't think they will be deterred because a PL ref was protected by the FA.
Cause they will.
See some goon premier league idiot acting up with either no, or little deterrent and it'll simply make more think they can push the boundaries.

NICanRed

There was an incident about 3 weeks ago where a player (my memory says he was wearing white!) was involved in a conversation with a ref during a stoppage in play. It was all very amicable and the player put his hand on the ref's shoulder just like you might do with your best mate. I wondered about it at the time but common sense prevailed and nothing happened. I think Bruno's action was something similar. Fabinho's was a nothing.
I agree that the safest approach is to avoid all contact - verbal and tactile - then you can't go wrong.

JagUTD

so every player who touches an opposing player, or someone in the crowd, or anybody else in the stadium gets penalised in your book?
weird strawman you're building there buddy.
The game is still a contact sport so player on player contact is a given.

Should a referee or linesman be touching a player or manager for any reason? Particularly if they want to enforce a no contact rule regarding themselves?

JagUTD

There was an incident about 3 weeks ago where a player (my memory says he was wearing white!) was involved in a conversation with a ref during a stoppage in play. It was all very amicable and the player put his hand on the ref's shoulder just like you might do with your best mate. I wondered about it at the time but common sense prevailed and nothing happened. I think Bruno's action was something similar. Fabinho's was a nothing.
I agree that the safest approach is to avoid all contact - verbal and tactile - then you can't go wrong.
Maybe one day we do away with the on field referee entirely, for the avoidance of all doubt :wenger:

Danger5

Lineman pushed Bruno first. Not to defend him here but no one took it personality and FA did review this.
What Mitrovic did is way worse. He didnt just push ref, dude was 1 provoke away from body check him.
Oh I totally agree, and I apologise I did not elaborate this on my initial post as I was short on time. What Mitrovic did was way worse than Bruno's petulance, but on another day we all know Bruno could have been shown a red. Mitro deserves a lengthy ban for his actions and I support calls for a 10 game ban. It is both deserved and sends the right message to combat a developing problem.

Back on Bruno though, and I'm delighted in his response since that game. I was very critical of him then and he really has put that behind him in the games since.

The Purley King

I’ve been in plenty of changing rooms at half time where the manager has said something along the lines of “the ref will be itching to send one of ours off, watch your step in the next 45”.
Silva clearly had a chip on his shoulder about kavanagh, warranted or not, but when that is put in your head it might skew your perception.
If I had to guess that would be part of the reason mitrovic reacted like he did.
No excuse mind, maybe a reason though.

Gordon S

Yeah I don't really understand Mitrovic's reaction either. It was a clear handball.
Mitrovic got a little push by Shaw in the box earlier and they were really upset that they didn`t check that.They were sure it was.a pen. So when they ref went out to check Willians handball later on both Silva and Mitrovic lost it.

Lost bear

Makes me happy to think how lucky we got when Bruno viciously mauled the linesman's face from his skull a few weeks back.
That Bruno is a real brute. The linesperson was in intensive care for weeks afterwards.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Mitrović:

I have been away with my national team and have had some time to reflect on the Manchester United match. As everyone knows, it was a very emotional one, in which the team gave absolutely everything on the pitch to try to reach the Semi-Final of the FA Cup.

On a personal level, I regret my actions that led to me being sent off. I allowed my frustration to get the better of me, and how I reacted was wrong. I was trying to get the referee’s attention, but I appreciate that I should not have put my hands on him and I understand why he showed me a red card, my first in-game sending off for Fulham and my first since the 2015/16 season.

I have accepted the three-match ban for my red card, I have spoken to Chris Kavanagh to apologise, and I have volunteered to accept a Club fine. I now want to do what I can to put this incident behind me and get back to helping my teammates on the pitch as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I would like to reiterate my regret that this happened. I have already said sorry to my teammates, but I would also like to apologise to the Fulham fans, particularly those who travelled to Old Trafford to support us and who did not stop singing all game. I hope to be back soon and repay their faith and support.
Good effort but it's going to be a lot more than three. See you in August, Mitro.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
What's taking so long with the punishment decision anyway ?
If I understood correctly, he had until Monday to give his answer to the charges. And the FA are not in a hurry as he’s suspended for the next three matches anyway.

The Purley King

Fair play at least that is a proper apology unlike others we have seen from other players/managers.
6 games seems about right.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, good apology. Acknowledged his guilt, and didn't try to make excuses or use any cheap digs at us or the officiating like Silva, Guardiola, etc.

However, no matter how good his apology is - whether heartfelt or clever PR - it simply has to be a much bigger ban than 3 given the severity of the offence. Anything between 6-10 is acceptable for me. Though 5 or 6 feels lenient, and anything 10 or more is strong / harsh. 8 feels about right, but anything in that 6-10 range is valid.