Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiroDiMarzio

This is a really astute signing. Competition for Shaw, a more attacking full back option in a team that lacks output from that position, quality cover for a player with a patchy injury record, allows Williams to make a much needed transition back to right full, and at a reasonable price. These are the type of deliberate signings that build a squad.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I'd turn Shaw into a RB now. He always comes inside anyway and has good short passing. Will be much better in build up and ball retention than AWB.

reelworld

Does anyone see the pattern here?

Same again, we refuse to pay whats wanted, another teams name is thrown into the mix (may be offered to City) and we suddenly agree a deal. Strange how that happens isn't it?
Maybe Dortmund need to offer Sancho to another club, or another team needs to slap a bid in for him to kick our arses into gear haha.

Still, am happy with this, big improvement on Shaw!
I think United got this done quickly once Dalot is confirmed to join Milan

Siorac

20m because 1 year left on his contract! He's a far better left back than Shaw, far more suited to a big team due to his on ball quality. And he can stay fit. Shaw will rotate in, but Telles will become the starter imo.
What does that have to do with us though? ;)

But in all seriousness, I hope he'll be great and relegate Shaw to the backup role. We badly needed a full-back with some real end product.

Mac Asimov

moan moan moan, some so called fans never seem to be happy. This is a good buy which will strengthen the team. The 3 senior signings so far, will bring much needed depth.

Needy trolls or ill informed 'fans' , I don't know which are worst.

MUM

Great news. Hope the lad goes well for us, designated penalty and free kick taker at Porto so it should be fun watching him, Bruno and Pogba jostling for a kick.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A fullback who wants to attack is always welcome.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Too many tier one journalists reporting it now not to be true. A deal/transfer that should have been done weeks ago but better late than never
Yep, thats the thing about this window. Signing Telles and Cavani on deadline day when they've been available all window is just annoying. That delay hurts our start to the season for no good reason.

tombombadil

My initial thoughts are that with Dalot leaving and Telles joining, Brandon Williams will be moved right. When we want to attack more down the flanks, Williams and Telles will play. When we want to defend more, Shaw and AWB will play.

My guess is, the default will probably be Telles attacking overlapping with Rashford cutting in while AWB is going up a lot less on the opposite side and Greenwood cutting in from the right.

I can more or less see the picture of what they were planning to do. If only we had gotten Sancho, the team would be so much more balanced, but we make do with what we can get, I guess.

Hoof the ball

From the boys at r/fcporto

Offensive PowerHorse

Big lungs, great at crossing, struggles a bit at defending but he is world class
Well he’s on abysmal form lately , not sure if it’s physical burnout or just his mind was elsewhere because of his future . The thing is even without playing well he always gives one or two pinpoint passes or corners that gives your team goals . He’s the best crosser in his position in the world , he has a lot of composure , flair , and pacey enough .... he’s not bad at defending like r/soccer seems to think , he’s as good as Shaw in that department but way better at attacking . His weaknesses I think are his stamina especially at the final third of seasons ( we overplayed him too much which won’t happen at United ). He likes to defend in a high line if rashford doesn’t track back I think you may have some problems in counters
Hello Telles/Cavani partnership!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Our poor and late transfer business annually tends to give everyone negativity.
The entire success of our window doesn’t resolve on Sancho alone (and I’m one of the top muppets in that thread!)

DVB Telles Cavani and an Latin wonderkid is all good.

Jonesno.8

Ye happy enough with this, hopefully allows us with DVB to play a 3 5 1.

Tapori

My initial thoughts are that with Dalot leaving and Telles joining, Brandon Williams will be moved right. When we want to attack more down the flanks, Williams and Telles will play. When we want to defend more, Shaw and AWB will play.

My guess is, the default will probably be Telles attacking overlapping with Rashford cutting in while AWB is going up a lot less on the opposite side and Greenwood cutting in from the right.

I can more or less see the picture of what they were planning to do. If only we had gotten Sancho, the team would be so much more balanced, but we make do with what we can get, I guess.
Exactly

And you can have a lop-sided attack so mix-and match. This also dramatically boosts our tactical options especially if we need to play diamonds or 3 at the back.

Williams will benefit immensely and the abuse he has received is unwarranted.

criticalanalysis

Not that I'm not wriitng AWB off but this may see Williams deputise/cover at RB more.

I know he didn't play there at youth etc but it'd interesting to see if we get more attacking ambition/quality with Williams on his natural sided foot. Especially if we have someone like Bailly (again a big if!) at centre back meaning we're able to push a bit more forward centrally.

Julz10

I don’t know why people think he is competition for the Luke Shaw and back up to Luke. In my opinion luke shaw needs to win his place back. Telles is much better !

any news on reported fee?

I know it’s not Sancho. But we have now signed two players they have won the league in their soon to be former playing countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.