Alexandre Lacazette

Crashoutcassius

A good player who premiership defenders will gradually work out over the course of the season, just like so many that have started strong in the prem. One game means nothing, we can look at the seasons end

Shark

@NotShark
The french posters said that he was good but you didn't listen.
He's played one PL game, so it's surely too soon to be claiming people are wrong yet. I do see him scoring goals for Arsenal, but let's see.

Bwuk

Took his goal well but never really thought he did that much. Worked hard and won the ball but Arsenal don't need that they need someone to put the ball in the net.

Should of scored when Giroud (who was excellent when he came on) played it back to him but he took too many touches before getting a shot off.

I'd probably play him up with Giroud, with Ozil off of them until they sort the Sanchez situation.

Trizy

Not watched the game/highlights yet but is anyone surprised? He's a very good player. No one seemed to take the gamble for him though probably because of the high price.

Funnily enough even at 45m he looks a bargin in today's market.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Took his goal well but never really thought he did that much. Worked hard and won the ball but Arsenal don't need that they need someone to put the ball in the net.

Should of scored when Giroud (who was excellent when he came on) played it back to him but he took too many touches before getting a shot off.

I'd probably play him up with Giroud, with Ozil off of them until they sort the Sanchez situation.
Would love to see this situation during our home games.

the hea

Impressive debut from the lad. I was not expecting anything special from him in the first months due to him being new to the league and I thought he would take some time to get comfortable in the PL but boy did he prove me wrong. He was by far Arsenals best player and if he continues like this the transfer fee will look like a bargain.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Think everyone is going a bit over the top with this one to be fair. Yes, it was a good debut and a fabulous header and overall he looked good. You'd expect nothing less for that money would you? If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be spending more time worrying about that defence.

Arka_BleedingRed

This was why I wanted him in our squad to be paired with Lukaku. He is very much the modern striker in the mould of Suarez, Aguero, Alexis etc. Pacy, intelligent, can play the channels and move out wide, clinical in his finishing, good hold up play and link up play. But, Mourinho doesn't seem to listen to me nowadays, so well, it's all a moot point. This is just the start of the season, so let's just wait and see how he performs for Arsenal.

Arka_BleedingRed

Think everyone is going a bit over the top with this one to be fair. Yes, it was a good debut and a fabulous header and overall he looked good. You'd expect nothing less for that money would you? If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be spending more time worrying about that defence.
Koscielny and Mustafi weren't playing. So, I guess you could see their defence being better than today. But, with their playing style, they will always concede a fair few goals.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looks great. And if representative of how good he is, then I don't see why Arsenal shouldn't aim to win the league this season. They've just added a very good number 9, kept Sanchez (it seems) and got a powerful left back. That's more on paper improvement than pretty much all the other big 5 sided other than city.

I hope Lukaku can put in as well rounded peformances for us this season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Always said he's the type of striker we've been crying out for to modernise our front line ala Saha in 2006 but tbh I do like look of Lukaku so far who might be less intelligent but is more of a powerhouse.

About time Arsenal got themselves a good striker.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Looks great. And if representative of how good he is, then I don't see why Arsenal shouldn't aim to win the league this season. They've just added a very good number 9, kept Sanchez (it seems) and got a powerful left back. That's more on paper improvement than pretty much all the other big 5 sided other than city.

Their attacking power is great but the defense is a mess.
If they do not look for further additions in the coming 3 weeks I cannot see them as title contenders.

amolbhatia50k

Their attacking power is great but the defense is a mess.
If they do not look for further additions in the coming 3 weeks I cannot see them as title contenders.
I don't think it's that much of a mess. Certainly no more than our attack is a mess. That left back they've signed looks useful.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

They lack squad depth in defence and central midfield. The Europa League will feck them over if they progress anywhere decently in the second half of the season

amolbhatia50k

They lack squad depth in defence and central midfield. The Europa League will feck them over if they progress anywhere decently in the second half of the season
Probably but that has as much to do with it being Arsenal as their actual squad. How much depth do we have in wide areas if we look at actually quality? Arsenal have Carzola, Xhaka, Ramsey, Elmemi and Coquelim in midfield. It's not bad. They have Kolschielmy, Kolasinac, Gabriel, Mertesacker and Holding in defence. Pretty sure I gotta all those spellings wrong. I mean, it's not great but like I said, are we so much better on paper in other areas of attack?

amolbhatia50k

Looked good, nice goal and has very good footwork in the box. Will be a menace against the small sides I predict.
Appears to be exactly what they need. Well rounded, good finisher, good movement, and fits in well with their style of play. Very early days but good signs.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The french posters said that he was good but you didn't listen.
He's a good player, but let's not go overboard - his impressive numbers are shored up by a lot of penalties usually, and as you know, he has a tendency to choke somewhat in big games, which is why (imo) a lot of big clubs have been reluctant to look at him. Still, he's good and it's likely he'll do well for Arsenal.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably but that has as much to do with it being Arsenal as their actual squad. How much depth do we have in wide areas if we look at actually quality? Arsenal have Carzola, Xhaka, Ramsey, Elmemi and Coquelim in midfield. It's not bad. They have Kolschielmy, Kolasinac, Gabriel, Mertesacker and Holding in defence. Pretty sure I gotta all those spellings wrong. I mean, it's not great but like I said, are we so much better on paper in other areas of attack?
Cazorla is out with another long term injury - that's 4 players for 2 positions. They play a back three, so it's 5 CBs for 3 positions. They just simply don't have many numbers in those positions, and it's very likely injuries will creep up on them when the fixtures pile up down to the Europa league.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Looked good in fairness but I just don't see superstar striker like some of you.

I may be proven wrong come season end.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's a good player, but let's not go overboard - his impressive numbers are shored up by a lot of penalties usually, and as you know, he has a tendency to choke somewhat in big games, which is why (imo) a lot of big clubs have been reluctant to look at him. Still, he's good and it's likely he'll do well for Arsenal.
Not this past season.

amolbhatia50k

Looked good in fairness but I just don't see superstar striker like some of you.

I may be proven wrong come season end.
To be fair, neither us or chelsea have gotten that. There are no Suarez, Aguero etc. type strikers available right now. I don't think anyone thinks Lacazzete is going to be another Sanchez for them. But seems to be a big addition to have him regardless.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We kind of used the exact same word, "good". Plenty of people were saying that he wasn't good and were using Giroud being on top of him for France as an indicator. Also he doesn't really choke in big games, at Lyon he has been playing without support which is an impossible job in big games, it's the same story than Umtiti with the defense.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
Cazorla is out with another long term injury - that's 4 players for 2 positions. They play a back three, so it's 5 CBs for 3 positions. They just simply don't have many numbers in those positions, and it's very likely injuries will creep up on them when the fixtures pile up down to the Europa league.
CB, 3 starting - Koscielny, Mustafi, Mertesacker, Holding, Gabriel, Chambers (may leave) with Monreal and Kolasinac also able to play there.

CM, 2 starting - Xhaka, Ramsey, Elneny, Coquelin, Ox, Cazorla (if he ever returns!).

Plus we have some kids who can fill in if need be. The number of players we have to cover these positions is not an issue but if we want to achieve anything substantial this season we need to upgrade on some of those numbers. (we won't).

On topic Lacazette looked good last night. Very impressed with his workrate when we're out of possession. I knew he was a decent striker coming in but I hadn't been aware of that side to his game previously. Looking forward to watching him further integrate into the team.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
We kind of used the exact same word, "good". Plenty of people were saying that he wasn't good and were using Giroud being on top of him for France as an indicator. Also he doesn't really choke in big games, at Lyon he has been playing without support which is an impossible job in big games, it's the same story than Umtiti with the defense.
Fair enough - I have found him lacking in some of the big games I've seen, but maybe he's improved in that aspect. And yeah we probably agree on the rest (didn't really follow what fellow Caftards have been saying about him this summer).

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Guess we are gonna play our kids and some reserves in group stage.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
We probably need another CM but we are not short defensively. The previous poster forgot Monreal and Mustafi. Seven players for three spots.

Also, Wenger has been very clear that he intends to blow off the Europa League. It will be a pain but it's only a problem in terms of fatigue and injury if your first XI actually plays. And I don't see that happening much, unless we progress well into the knockouts.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We probably need another CM but we are not short defensively. The previous poster forgot Monreal and Mustafi. Seven players for three spots.

Also, Wenger has been very clear that he intends to blow off the Europa League. It will be a pain but it's only a problem in terms of fatigue and injury if your first XI actually plays. And I don't see that happening much, unless we progress well into the knockouts.
He said that? Link please?