Alexis Mac Allister | Liverpool watch

Oranges038

Quality player.

Was always a nailed on Liverpool signing, it was obvious last year or the year before he'd be perfectly suited to Klopp's Liverpool.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
This guy is a major part of every game we win lately. Absolutely running the midfield for us.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Him and Endo work really well together.
It's rude in Japanese not give the full name.

Wataru Wanted Caicedo Got This Joker Endo - San.

Has Redcafe taught you guys nothing after all these years?

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Great fecking player, so intelligent, so comitt, in reality he played great the whole season, bar the first more or less 6 games were he also had a dubious red and he was good, never bad...
Later he was needed as a 6, then he mastered that role and after his injury he has been absolutely vital and great game after game even in defeats.
He still goes too much under the radar, in comparison with so many names mentioned time and again. Many of those other players, while even being really talented, had ups and lows the whole season, this fella has been like clockwork (bar those merely fine/good first games in Pool) for Brighton, the NT and Liverpool since ages by now.

Last edited:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Him and Endo work really well together.
Endo has been very good, but Macca works great with anyone that does his job and in Liverppol and Brighton he calls the shots (as 6, 8 or pseudo 10).

I'm saying this because it''s a constant in his last two seasons that people tend to think of the ones around him as kind of enhancers and even way better than him (bar obviously Messi) and it's not the case.
BTW he was already doing a great 6 role when Endo was out.
His lack of pace has to be worked by the coach in charge, but after that, he is the one that actually gives sense to his teams and contributes in every area and that winner attitude is contagious, VVD instantly noticed that and constantly plays him and Salah too.

There is an overdose of what Endo does for him, like once Caicedo, or Enzo and cia in the NT, but is him the one with the regularity, the brains and the talent to glue everything. People still don't realize how great and important he was in the WC as a whole.

Last edited:

Shinjch

He really understands how to benefit the team no matter what role he is given. An incredibly valuable trait.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
He really understands how to benefit the team no matter what role he is given. An incredibly valuable trait.
EXACTLY that, and he has that extra winner attitude and feisty character that makes him even better

Last edited:

Stadjer

What a player. Amazing goal.

But our manager wanted Mason Mount!
Klopp also wanted Mount didnt he? Also wasnt it a public secret before the World Cup that Mac Alister would join Liverpool at the end of the season? Dont think there was ever a chance that he would have signed for Manchester United

pacifictheme

Yeah. There are lots of reasons to be annoyed with ten hag but this isn't one of them.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
It's his general play, before the Sheffield goal he recovered a very difficult an excellent ball after a very silly lost possesion in attack, he passes with advantage to Darwin and sadly he rushed the attack again, looses the ball and this created the counter for the tie. Those two consecutive silly lost balls sometimes happen too frequently with this team, they kind of shoot their own foot time and again within matches.

It would have been great a healthy Thiago (yeah I know) to pair Macca so Liverpool sometimes slow down with some of their headless chicken rushing moments.

Mike Smalling

Liverpool have an excellent record buying from the Premier League under Klopp.

Mac Allister, Van Dijk, Robertson, Mané, Jota, and Wijnaldum have all been good transfers.

avgp_1

Fantastic player.

What a signing he has been for Liverpool. Massively underrated on here this summer and at the start of the season, when he was left on his own on that lone #6 role as he was adapting to it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Thought he had a pretty good World Cup and figured Liverpool got him for a good price. Looked a tidy player for Brighton.

United would have goofed around and ultimately paid double what Liverpool did, if the club had gone in for him.

gajender

Thought he had a pretty good World Cup and figured Liverpool got him for a good price. Looked a tidy player for Brighton.

United would have goofed around and ultimately paid double what Liverpool did, if the club had gone in for him.
He had a release clause which he insisted upon as condition for renewal with Brighton otherwise he would have moved on for free .

Alpha 1

Mac Allister, Van Dijk, Robertson, Mané, Jota, and Wijnaldum have all been good transfers.
Or he has played a big role in improving their performances for Liverpool vs their previous teams? That is what great managers do. Remember the likes of Gotze, Sahin et al. went into oblivion after they left Klopp's Dortmund. Our managers seem to make the players worse.

I bet most of the players you mentioned will dip after Klopp leaves.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Or he has played a big role in improving their performances for Liverpool vs their previous teams? That is what great managers do. Remember the likes of Gotze, Sachin et al. went into oblivion after they left Klopp's Dortmund. Our managers seem to make the players worse.

Of course it helps to be part of a great side that is well coached, but some of those have been among the very best at their position during Klopp’s reign. It’s individual quality and coaching.

izec

It was always clear that he is better than Mount and more versatile. People were biased though.

Everyone wanted Mount apparently but ended up with better players :lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It’s safe to assume Mount would have been far more effective at Liverpool than he has for us. He’s exactly the kind of player Klopp has done well with and he fits the system, whereas one of Mount’s biggest problem with us is the lack of any functioning system. But Mount doesn’t play the same role as Mac Allister, he plays the same role as Szoboszlai. It’s sad how people need to invent new scenarios to allow them to criticise their own players from one more angle.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

I mean, Jota and Wijnaldum are the ones where you can praise Liverpool and Klopp for their level. The others were pretty obvious signings. VVD was the best CB in the league before signing for Liverpool - turned down PL champions Chelsea and Guardiola's City who were both willing to pay huge money for him. Mac Allister, Robertson, Mane were all among the best in the league in their roles before Liverpool too
It’s safe to assume Mount would have been far more effective at Liverpool than he has for us.
Hasn't he been injured pretty much the whole season though?

Mike Smalling

I mean, Jota and Wijnaldum are the ones where you can praise Liverpool and Klopp for their level. The others were pretty obvious signings. VVD was the best CB in the league before signing for Liverpool - turned down PL champions Chelsea and Guardiola's City who were both willing to pay huge money for him. Mac Allister, Robertson, Mane were all among the best in the league in their roles before Liverpool too
Getting Mané for £36m and Robertson for £8m was also extremely good business, whether it was obvious or not. There is no guarantee that these types of players take the step up from mid/bottom PL teams to title challenging teams. Same with Mac Allister even though it's early.

It's not praise of Klopp for picking them, to be clear. It's just during this time period, they've made some really shrewd moves from the PL. Maybe my baseline is just in the dumps, because I'm comparing it to our moves to get Maguire, AWB and the like. But you can also look at Chelsea - their Cucurella and Caicedo moves look extremely dodgy, even though at least Caicedo was also considered one of the best in his position, when he was at Brighton.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He has but maybe Liverpool might’ve helped him discover he has asthma and coincidentally those muscle injuries would’ve been a lot less frequent and severe…

If he was injured for most of the season at Liverpool he would’ve been a first season dud too, no doubt. But he likely would’ve shown promising signs as an effective cog in a well drilled machine. Instead for us he’s mostly just looked like a lost soul in a chaotic system.

sangria

Or he has played a big role in improving their performances for Liverpool vs their previous teams? That is what great managers do. Remember the likes of Gotze, Sachin et al. went into oblivion after they left Klopp's Dortmund. Our managers seem to make the players worse.

To be fair Tendulkar was 42 by the time Klopp left Dortmund.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
He’s basically dragging us to the finish line right now.

Currently the most important player in the side - there are alternatives to the other clutch players like Salah, VVD, Alisson, TAA - but no-one comes close to replacing mac allister.

macheda14

Getting Mané for £36m and Robertson for £8m was also extremely good business, whether it was obvious or not. There is no guarantee that these types of players take the step up from mid/bottom PL teams to title challenging teams. Same with Mac Allister even though it's early.

It's not praise of Klopp for picking them, to be clear. It's just during this time period, they've made some really shrewd moves from the PL. Maybe my baseline is just in the dumps, because I'm comparing it to our moves to get Maguire, AWB and the like. But you can also look at Chelsea - their Cucurella and Caicedo moves look extremely dodgy, even though at least Caicedo was also considered one of the best in his position, when he was at Brighton.
If the man who gave you your name had gotten his way we would have gotten Mane instead.

Matt851

It’s safe to assume Mount would have been far more effective at Liverpool than he has for us. He’s exactly the kind of player Klopp has done well with and he fits the system, whereas one of Mount’s biggest problem with us is the lack of any functioning system. But Mount doesn’t play the same role as Mac Allister, he plays the same role as Szoboszlai. It’s sad how people need to invent new scenarios to allow them to criticise their own players from one more angle.
I don't think he plays the same role as szoboazlai either. He has had his best moments as a wide forward which is why he was such an odd signing

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think he plays the same role as szoboazlai either. He has had his best moments as a wide forward which is why he was such an odd signing
I think Mount is definitely more positionally ambiguous, but I think Brwned is right in that he would’ve played a similar sort of role that Szoboszlai is — an offensive midfielder sacrificing a lot of his technical stuff to just run around a lot.

But yeah, Mac Allister is definitely the far more conventional central midfielder of the two (three). And probably the best, it seems.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah obviously, and it was good business for sure. Just, well, signing some of the best players in your league and then having them continue to be some of the best players in your league isn't a particularly notable thing. They did well, but those weren't particularly shrewd moves

Caicedo being bad for Chelsea has more to do with Chelsea being a mess than anything. Wan Bissaka was never properly developed and Maguire is another who has been affected by United more than anything. I mean he was signed in what, 2019? And he was excellent for the first 2 seasons before he fell apart as the whole team did. This season he's regained his spot and is playing well again?

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

This is a classic hindsight post. I’ll give you VVD but Mané and Robertson where not among the best in the league, Robertson wasn’t even in the league he was in the Championship before he joined Liverpool. And look at the Mané thread on the Caf before he joined Liverpool as he was rumored with a move to United as well and most were completely underwhelmed.