Alexis Mac Allister | Liverpool watch

erikcred

For everyone whos creaming themseleves that Utd didnt buy him.
I stopped listening when the guy said "but this is why he won't fix all their problems." Who was even claiming that? Same way no one said he'd fix all of our problems either.

Secondly, most people are here moaning about the fact that Liverpool got the deal done quickly and a lot cheaper than what was expected. We'd like our transfer business to be done a bit like that. It's not about a specific player.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I quite like the guys at Tifo (and I could only watch the first couple of minutes of the video so maybe they address this) but I don't think he's being brought in as a creative force for Liverpool (he didn't do that for Argentina at the world cup either) rather a left sided Gini Wijnaldum style "Klopp midfielder" who keeps hold of the ball and provides it to their playmakers (their fullbacks recently) while using his workrate etc to prevent their defence getting exposed so often.

I don't think he will be a spectacular signing but considering how poor Liverpool's midfield is right now (Elliot is shit, Fabinho/ Henderson are finished at the top level IMO, Jones is a Carling Cup level midfielder etc etc) I think it's a great deal for the reported price.

They need another couple of midfielders* (One has to be a near Kante level workhorse to cover TAAs defensive frailties) minimum to even challenge for the top 4 next season and I think while they reinforce their midfield their defence will continue to age and decay.

*I think TAA will be exposed in CM by the very best teams who will pinch the ball from him and launch counters.

dinostar77

I quite like the guys at Tifo (and I could only watch the first couple of minutes of the video so maybe they address this) but I don't think he's being brought in as a creative force for Liverpool (he didn't do that for Argentina at the world cup either) rather a left sided Gini Wijnaldum style "Klopp midfielder" who keeps hold of the ball and provides it to their playmakers (their fullbacks recently) while using his workrate etc to prevent their defence getting exposed so often.

I don't think he will be a spectacular signing but considering how poor Liverpool's midfield is right now (Elliot is shit, Fabinho/ Henderson are finished at the top level IMO, Jones is a Carling Cup level midfielder etc etc) I think it's a great deal for the reported price.

They need another couple of midfielders* (One has to be a near Kante level workhorse to cover TAAs defensive frailties) minimum to even challenge for the top 4 next season and I think while they reinforce their midfield their defence will continue to age and decay.

*I think TAA will be exposed in CM by the very best teams who will pinch the ball from him and launch counters.
Pretty much what the video said, a wijnaldum replacement. Liverpools issue is that they can try to play a 'box midfield' like city, but TAA isnt stones and he has too many defensive vulnerabilities.

They need to sign a right sided midfielder to replace henderson. So that konate isnt so exposed when TAA goes forward.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
For everyone whos creaming themseleves that Utd didnt buy him.
Even with some things that I conccur, it's a bit of a narrow view from Tifo, while in their other choices for sensible transfers for Liverpool everyone of them apparently are exceptional players, while Macca seems it's just good. I'm not calling the Ginger one already exceptional, but it's a bit over the top how they expressed with other potential signings on the other vids and in a silly way extremely low key with Alexis.

The main thing that the vid is missing is that Mac Allister had for instance players like Mitoma (who dribbles like a gem but plays 60% of time with a basquet case on his head) in the past upfront, this is actually far from the sort of a priori potentially lot better situation of trading plays with a Diaz or Salah.
Also playing as good as Brighton was and is, still aren't as agressive as Klopp wants (and must) Liverpool be, so if Liverpool knows how to use him, his offensive output will certainly rise.

This unless Klopp also wants him to do what Zerbi wanted of him, to be his metronome, his man to go to and control the pace and "head" of his team.
They are trully selling short Macca with his actual progression, this doesn't mean he will totally click in Liverpool, because first Liverpool has to change and improve as a whole, but the lack of the above circumsntances being mentioned and others like the constant changing of his role in Brighton, from more offensive tasks, to more defensive/control of tempo ones throught the season, it's a huge thing to miss in this analysis.
Plus of course not just a single player will fix a fecking calamity of a team Liverpool was last season comparing with themselves in prior ones, more when no one knows exactly what sort of squeme will Liverpool try that might suit better or even not suit at all Macca style of play.

On a personal note, I do think that even Alexis having a great trait in general for a footballer: being generous on every sense, unsellfish. Might not be the best approach for him in his new team, he has to go more for the goal in Liverpool, he has to risk more than being the anchor for everyone in the field the whole time.
I lost the count of how many one/two's he tried with for instance with Mitoma to end with the japanese sending a rocket to the stands or trying an unnecessary extra play and he still tried it again and again without even complaining to the Japanese most of times.
This time in Liverpool he better try his luck to find the net if Luis, Salah or whomever serves just a good ball to risk it and complain no matter who is if they go full retard mode like sometimes offensive players (understandable due to their task can go).
Liverpool and him need this, plus he has a great strike in him that he must use more.

Last edited:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
I fecking love the Ginger mofo. If he had any sort of pace in him he would have been even better, a real jack for all trades player that has the right mentality and great vision. He is just 25 and I hope to at least mantein these last two seasons level through his carreer, if he gest even better, I'll take it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I fecking love the Ginger mofo. If he had any sort of pace in him he would have been even better, a real jack for all trades player that has the right mentality and great vision. He is just 25 and I hope to at least mantein these last two seasons level through his carreer, if he gest even better, I'll take it.
£35m! Just £35m. :eek:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
£35m! Just £35m. :eek:
I really don't put much thought on the money, that's just the market.
The best thing is his age 25, more regarding his role. He is really young for a polivalent swiss knife sort of mid to be that mature and still evolving and adding things to his game.

In any case the money paid for him indicates only two things, his desire to be in a Top Club and how under the radar and underapreciated he was and still is.

I've said it here regarding that posted Youtube video and how narrow was such analysis or when Man Utd fans didn't want him while saying he woudln't add a thing to Man Utd while he is precisly one the type of players Man Utd needs as air and right now would have been fantastic as a Mainoo enhacer. I guess it's also related to the fascination with physical players but the way he was treated in thso Foruma and named for sisntance in relation with Caicedo, was reaally very very silly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really don't put much thought on the money, that's the market.
The best thing is his age 25, more regarding his role. He is really young for a polivalent swiss knife sort of mid to be that mature and still evolving and adding things to his game.

In any case the money paid for him indicates only two things, his desire to be in a Top Club and how under the radar and underapreciated he was and still is.

I've said it here regarding that posted Youtube video and how narrow was such analysis or when Man Utd fans didn't want him while saying he woudln't add a thing to Man Utd while he is precisly one the type of players Man Utd needs as air and right now would have been fantastic as a Mainoo enhacer. I guess it's also related to the fascination with physical players but the way he was treated in thso Foruma and named for sisntance in relation with Caicedo, was reaally very very silly.
I’m sorry but what on earth does this even mean :lol:

25 is a good age. Good midfielders tend to be good at 25. I’m not sure how he’d be a ‘Mainoo Enhancer”? Is he supposed to be fantastic defensively? Seems like they’d just get in the way of each other. We need more of Rodri type midfielder than this chap. Unless I’ve got him wrong.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I really don't put much thought on the money, that's just the market.

Respect your opinion and politely disagree.

£35m. Wowsers.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
I’m sorry but what on earth does this even mean :lol:

25 is a good age. Good midfielders tend to be good at 25. I’m not sure how he’d be a ‘Mainoo Enhancer”? Is he supposed to be fantastic defensively? Seems like they’d just get in the way of each other. We need more of Rodri type midfielder than this chap. Unless I’ve got him wrong.
I'll leave the silly emoji aside my dear and I'll explain better myself, please if you don't share it, leave it there, there is nothing to win here :D .

He is not a player with pace, he is not a player that relies on atlheltism (even if being strong), he relies on his brain (for his vision, reading, positioning and understanding of what it's required on different roles, etc) and technical ability. This sort of players peak later, from the generational ones, to the very good to elite ones. 25 years old in this type of players is really young to already be quite a full package with that extra strawberry on top the top of an excellent WC on his shoulders.

The Mainoo enhacer was said regarding Macca's mature and even winner and leader character. He is a great player to have around younger ones, specially as physical and talented as Mainoo seems to be. In order to guide him to play simpler at moments, to offer himself constantly as a passing option while returning the ball, etc. Man Utd has another type of players like Bruno, Eriksen on the verge of retirement, Mac T too much of a constant 220 volts sort of player, etc...that does not fill that role.
Yes there he is Case that can do it, but he is in a rough patch of injuries and (understandable) a bit dizzy in such a chaotic team Man Utd nowadays is, him also would feel a LOT better with the sort of player Macca is beside him.
I mean the sort of player that gives you the ball with advantage, that protects it, that risks the ball, but not the whole time. Case loves collecting the ball clean from Licha, having Licha, Macca and Case connecting while Mainoo being able to be more free as a young lad in his first days, it's a lot better idea than current options.
Yet of course Man Utd is a particular case with many things going wrong from the very basement to just put a player and play better, but Macca is the sort of players that gives you more control without loosing the capability of scoring in the break with a 100% comittment.

And yes you might need to watch him more, his defensive side also is great, he lacks pace, no doubt, but he is very intelligent and strong to steal quite a lot of balls or make tactical fouls and such. Macca would have been a better choice for Man Utd than the late transfers if Man Utd it's actually is willing to change its style and have more control of a game.

Last edited:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Respect your opinion and politely disagree.

£35m. Wowsers.
My bad for not being more clear, I've meant it the other way around, that in today's market, 100 millions for any role IS SADLY THE CURRENT market...35 millions it's odd, so I don't put too much weight in the quality of player becasue of how much it was paid, that's monkey bizzness and food for the press. In some cases to avoid this silly over the top numbers from current market, some Clubs like the Portuguese ones buy directly from the source in south america, time for SA also to ask for more BTW.

I wasn't implying that Liverpool didn't make a great bizz regarding the current market, but I wouldn't analyze any player because of his price tag.
I would yes analyze a Club's managment of how they manage their resources, but not the quality of the player, that price tag is related to so many aspects that are beyond the player's fooball ability that I do not care to consider it when I rate a one, it it's just my way of view such things.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
£35 million had nothing to do with Liverpool’s market prowess. Mac Alister agreed a new contract in 2022 and it had a release clause which Liverpool benefitted from.

There’s also the fact that Liverpool have been known to structure their deals with a lower initial fee loaded with easy to reach addons bringing them to market value. Liverpool then brief the press on the initial fee and are applauded for value, despite the fact they will inevitably pay market rate shortly after. It’s a good tactic in that it results in less pressure on their players but unfortunately wouldn’t work for United as the press always aggregate all addons into the headline fee and then convert Euros to Sterling at 1:1 and then round it up to the nearest £10m.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is average. Jack of all trades also means he doesn’t really excel at anything.

Someone like Bruno Guimaraes is an all rounder who is superior at almost everything.

If I were a Pool fan, I would be praying for Alonso, because the reality of their squad will bite them

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
He is average. Jack of all trades also means he doesn’t really excel at anything.

Someone like Bruno Guimaraes is an all rounder who is superior at almost everything.

If I were a Pool fan, I would be praying for Alonso, because the reality of their squad will bite them
Yet he is great in many.

His lack of pace it's sthg that has to be adrees if you coach him, no doubt, to understand what he can provides and not. But he is really far from average irmao (I can even smell the Brahma from your words, man what I'll give for a couple of those in a Brazie Praia, the enviroment almost make them taste good)

I agree that Xabi will be the most suitable for him, I think he works better with coaches with clear ideas that can use his intelligence. And here relies his main advantage over Bruno for me, his intelligence, thought I like Bruno quite a lot too, none of them are average. Bruno BTW has on his bag a better physique and athletism, yet Macca is quite strong for his size

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
£35 million had nothing to do with Liverpool’s market prowess. Mac Alister agreed a new contract in 2022 and it had a release clause which Liverpool benefitted from.

There’s also the fact that Liverpool have been known to structure their deals with a lower initial fee loaded with easy to reach addons bringing them to market value. Liverpool then brief the press on the initial fee and are applauded for value, despite the fact they will inevitably pay market rate shortly after. It’s a good tactic in that it results in less pressure on their players but unfortunately wouldn’t work for United as the press always aggregate all addons into the headline fee and then convert Euros to Sterling at 1:1 and then round it up to the nearest £10m.
Casemiro at 200m swiss francs was great value for money shut up
Dumbo is just looking for a bite. Especially because it can rise to £55m.
It can and probably will, their variables are very easy to reach, especially for "wowsers" level players. When he's touched the Anfield sign before entering the pitch twice, it's 5m added straight away.

Maluco

Yet he is great in many.

His lack of pace it's sthg that has to be adrees if you coach him, no doubt, to understand what he can provides and not. But he is really far from average irmao (I can even smell the Brahma from your words, man what I'll give for a couple of those in a Brazie Praia, the enviroment almost make them taste good)

I agree that Xabi will be the most suitable for him, I think he works better with coaches with clear ideas that can use his intelligence. And here relies his main advantage over Bruno for me, his intelligence, thought I like Bruno quite a lot too, none of them are average. Bruno BTW has on his bag a better physique and athletism, yet Macca is quite strong for his size
Haha, I am not Brazilian irmão! Apenas morando aqui!

Given the trajectory of many of Dortmund’s squad post-Klopp, I think there are big question marks about so many players in the squad and what they are capable of without him.

Dortmund’s trophy haul post-Klopp as the second biggest team in terms of spending power is a massive warning.

Liverpool, as potentially the 6th biggest spenders in the league post-Klopp? Depending on the likes of Gakpo, Endo and even Big Mac to step up?

I would be concerned #prayforXavi

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Haha, I am not Brazilian irmão! Apenas morando aqui!

Given the trajectory of many of Dortmund’s squad post-Klopp, I think there are big question marks about so many players in the squad and what they are capable of without him.

Dortmund’s trophy haul post-Klopp as the second biggest team in terms of spending power is a massive warning.

Liverpool, as potentially the 6th biggest spenders in the league post-Klopp? Depending on the likes of Gakpo, Endo and even Big Mac to step up?

I would be concerned #prayforXavi
Rio? I'll give one nut to be in Rio right now

I get the whole view, but not regarding Macca per se.

He is a player that already played great under different managers, that adapts to many systems and I agree that Xabi will help him, but he would also love him.
And indeed due to his characteristics he needs a real 10 or in case of not having one, a set of players that at least gives an organized mid where he can switch his mode during a game. But from that type of swiss army sort of players, he is among the best, it doesn't matter if he ain't a pure destroyer, a pure 8 or a pure 10. He also has an ambition that not many people notice, he is quite, he looks shy, but he has a winner edge and confidence that is not that common, even if he doesn't have a generational talent.

As long like I've said the coach understands what he provides, he is fecking great. Indeed he ain't a pure 5 (6 in the islands), nor a pure 8 (thought for me is where he is better suited) and clearly not a 10, yet his ability to even switch within these roles even in a single match and his technical abilty and intelligence, are far from an average player.

This doesn't mean that if Liverpool ends with a bad manager and loose Salah and that sort of differential players, the team would not suffer and Alexis will suffer too, but that happens to any player of such style and characteristics.
Anyway if you don't like him, you just don't, nothing wrong with it.

Enjoy Brazil mate, fantastic country, more in vacations period

Maluco

Rio? I'll give one nut to be in Rio right now

I get the whole view, but not regarding Macca per se.

He is a player that already played great under different managers, that adapts to many systems and I agree that Xabi will help him, but he would also love him.
And indeed due to his characteristics he needs a real 10 or in case of not having one, a set of players that at least gives an organized mid where he can switch his mode during a game. But from that type of swiss army sort of players, he is among the best, it doesn't matter if he ain't a pure destroyer, a pure 8 or a pure 10. He also has an ambition that not many people notice, he is quite, he looks shy, but he has a winner edge and confidence that is not that common, even if he doesn't have a generational talent.

As long like I've said the coach understands what he provides, he is fecking great. Indeed he ain't a pure 5 (6 in the islands), nor a pure 8 (thought for me is where he is better suited) and clearly not a 10, yet his ability to even switch within these roles even in a single match and his technical abilty and intelligence, are far from an average player.

This doesn't mean that if Liverpool ends with a bad manager and loose Salah and that sort of differential players, the team would not suffer and Alexis will suffer too, but that happens to any player of such style and characteristics.
Anyway if you don't like him, you just don't, nothing wrong with it.

Enjoy Brazil mate, fantastic country, more in vacations period
I agree about the tenacity and winner’s edge. I don’t think he is remarkable, but like Alvarez he has that tenacity or “raça” and a strong mentality.

I do think if they lose Klopp and Salah, they really do need a remarkable manager to come in. I don’t rate their squad and think he gets every drop out of them.

Just Hope

And we paid 60m pounds for mount :annoyed:.

Regarding pace, he kind of keeps up with the game but you can tell he lacks acceleration. He would perform much better in a slower league.

On the age thing, 25 is young for these type of midfielders or at least it was like 10 years ago. I remember that neither Xavi, Iniesta or Modric really showed what they could do until later in their careers. It remains to be see if Belligham-like players, will become the norm moving forward, although it is unlikely since the englishamn is exceptional.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think it suits him more when he's playing alongside Endo. Gives him more freedom to do what he's good at in midfield.

Really good signing so far though. Added a new dynamic to the middle of the park. Definitely an upgrade on 30's Henderson.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He started the season rather lacklustre before turning down right poor. Then he was injured and ever since he came back, he's been immense. Really good player. Better than I thought he would be tbh.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
I agree about the tenacity and winner’s edge. I don’t think he is remarkable, but like Alvarez he has that tenacity or “raça” and a strong mentality.

I do think if they lose Klopp and Salah, they really do need a remarkable manager to come in. I don’t rate their squad and think he gets every drop out of them.
Basicly you see him as an average player, or to the very least not remarkable and me on the other hand see him as a quite underrated one and quite remarkable with a great level since at least three seasons and on the verge of improving year after year with luck on his side...yet I mean remarkable and even greater potential on his "segment", or whatever type of tag we might put on him, not in the ubber talented in a certain specific role tag.

This type of players BTW tend to gain greater respect, consideration, if they win things in a regular way, while needing a couple of great instances in their carreers, mostly because they do not belong like you've said to a particular specific role doing it in an exceptional way or with an out of this world talent.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Basicly you see him as an average player, or to the very least not remarkable and me on the other hand see him as a quite underrated one and quite remarkable with a great level since at least three seasons and on the verge of improving year after year with luck on his side...yet I mean remarkable and even greater potential on his "segment", or whatever type of tag we might put on him, not in the ubber talented in a certain specific role tag.

This type of players BTW tend to gain greater respect, consideration, if they win things in a regular way, while needing a couple of great instances in their carreers, mostly because they do not belong like you've said to a particular specific role doing it in an exceptional way or with an out of this world talent.
How can he possibly be underrated? Dumbstar said he was wowsers!

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
And we paid 60m pounds for mount :annoyed:.

Regarding pace, he kind of keeps up with the game but you can tell he lacks acceleration. He would perform much better in a slower league.

On the age thing, 25 is young for these type of midfielders or at least it was like 10 years ago. I remember that neither Xavi, Iniesta or Modric really showed what they could do until later in their careers. It remains to be see if Belligham-like players, will become the norm moving forward, although it is unlikely since the englishamn is exceptional.
Ranting a bit, Iniesta was pretty special since day one, in a way even a Laudrup always was since day one (even if Andres is more of an 8 and the Danish is more of a 10). A type of player that would shine quite a lot more if being used correctly, but that only with an idiot as coach (or an oil/water relantionship with one) he would fail. In many senses he was unique in his style and approach regarding of what usually La Masia would provide and he arrived from other academy (albacete) like Messi aorund his 12/13 years old. Both added that quote of dribbling and individuality that was extremely need it that a ocean of passers.
The team, coaches, didn't help him, but he instantly clicked and showed his capabilities and exceptional talent since his very debut.

Xavi, even having an exceptional carreer, a bigger name and doing sthg that Iniesta never had to do and we don't really know if it's in him: be a leader in his team style and main organizer, I agree that needs more of a coach that gets what he brings.
That's why he was really close to leave Barca. Modric dances in the middle of both in terms of characteristics, but of course like them and I add Kross, they need coaches that get what they bring to the table. Physicality, athletism, pace and power would always be extremely atractive in every period of the game and that affects the consideration and path of smaller, more tactical oriented and mostly passing type of players.

In any case, even with an excellent WC in his bag and all while stating the OBVIOUS, Macca is still far from having such a consideration. He needs to eat tons of spinach, he has to be part of very successful team and he has to continue to develope and add more stuff to his game to just be on that path. Plus like Maluco said, it's even less clear what his best role is (in a good sense too) but still it can happen that a certain coach might want very clear cut players in certain roles and he can easily fall out in such scenario.
Yet I do agree that he belongs to that tactical sort of players, without great athletism, second march, that makes the ball run and make teams tickle, the sort of player that in a good path grows with time and gets better.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He started the season rather lacklustre before turning down right poor. Then he was injured and ever since he came back, he's been immense. Really good player. Better than I thought he would be tbh.
Doping do be like that

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Doping do be like that
True.

I’m just amazed other clubs don’t try to get on this PED stuff. It’s really helped Klopp. High-quality coaching is overrated. Good recruitment is for losers.

Do PEDS or go home.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
I fecking love the dude, another great display and goes.

izec

Fantastic performance today. I was a fan before he joined and hoped we went for him and they would have gotten Mount

Nicoteiro

Varela

Enzo Macca

Argentina has a midfield for the years to come. Add Carboni, Palacios, Paz, Barrenechea, Medina, Redondo.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Varela

Enzo Macca

Argentina has a midfield for the years to come. Add Carboni, Palacios, Paz, Barrenechea, Medina, Redondo.
If Palacios returns from his injury (once again) in full form, he deserves to be above everyone bar Macca. Today he had a great assist and a better game than the prior one.
Argentina needs more dinamic dribblers regarding mids and forwards, but in the polivalent mid segment, there are tons of options to choose.