Alexis Mac Allister | Moves to Liverpool for 35m according to Romano

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

It sort of sounds like an agreement for sale written into the terms of his contract that isn’t quite a release clause. Maybe the drafted wording would be something along the lines of “a reasonable fee”… with further wording being like “taking X, Y, Z into account”
I’m guessing it’s a loose price range since it gives more scope for negotiation since few clubs could pay a release clause in one go.
Maybe the player gets more money if it’s met and Brighton turn it down or something stupid. Could be anything

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Remember infamous Luis Suárez Saga it could be something like that .
I was thinking that. The crazy thing is, that clause was so vague that even it confused experienced transfer negotiators. I read that we thought it was a release clause, but all the contract actually stipulated was that Suarez had to be informed of the bid and that Liverpool were obligated to negotiate in good faith. Which they absolutely refused to do and effectively said "take us court and we may or may not be found liable for breach of contract in 12-18 months time". Which obviously would be of no use to Arsenal.

Suarez was gutted at the time (it all worked out for him of course). It makes me wonder why players and their agents agree to such deals. Or "gentleman's agreements" with the likes of Daniel Levy. Where is the benefit for the player?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They will get him for almost half what Chelsea are demanding for Mount.

He’s not clearly better than Mount but he is clearly a much, much better signing for the money.
And a different skill set so what’s the point in doing that to yourself

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
@UTAretro @The Boy

You guys said there won't be any release clauses, looks like there is one for Mac Allister, any news from Brighton reporters on the fee?
Hiya. No confirmation this is a release clause of any sort, Paul Barber our CEO previously said this;

Speaking on The Beautiful Game podcast, the Albion CEO said: “We don’t operate like that.
“We try and avoid things like that because they become such a point of discussion in negotiations that you spend hours and hours on something that may never happen or, if it does happen, it may not be the right price at the right time.
“We try and avoid things like that. We know other clubs use them, and that’s fine, but it’s not something that we tend to get involved with.”

While it’s possible an exception was made when Mac Allister signed his new contract prior to the World Cup, there is no evidence of this other than tweets from Romano (subsequently copied by other sources).

Romano has frequently been wrong in the past re: Brighton transfers (he “confirmed” Cucurella to Man City for £35m, before he ended up going to Chelsea for over £60m, for instance).

Every subsequent source such as The Telegraph, The Guardian, Ben Jacobs and a few others have basically regurgitated Romano’s original post.

Andy Naylor, probably the top Albion journalist has simply said: “The latest information I have on how things stand, according to Brighton, is that nothing is agreed with them in respect of Alexis Mac Allister joining Liverpool. #BHAFC

I personally think the fee will be around the £55-£60m range, dependant on add-ons. I doubt we’ll fully know the actual package details as our fees are never officially disclosed under Tony Bloom.

wr8_utd

:'(
I honestly have a hard time believing the transfer fees the British media like to report for Liverpool. Fees just nosedive when it comes to them. I swear if they signed Mbappe the media would report it as 25 million.

Ricardo de la Vega

Such a good piece of business this and so early too
Indeed. Once again I am jealous of another team's smart, early, and efficient transfer business where they pay a fair price, not a ridiculous "United are desparate lets take em to the cleaners" premium price we have to pay for anyone.

Ricardo de la Vega

Ask Liverpool to conduct the negotiations on our behalf and we'd reportedly get him for under 30m.
Which is why we should be looking to hijack other parties deals rather than launching our own bids this year. Do what Arsenal did last year. Wait till an offers accepted, gazump them at the close.

wr8_utd

:'(
Which is why we should be looking to hijack other parties deals rather than launching our own bids this year. Do what Arsenal did last year. Wait till an offers accepted, gazump them at the close.
I honestly do not believe the leaks that come out of the Liverpool based media. Brighton are notorious for their negotiations and they're suddenly selling for under 45m? This seems a regular feature with Liverpool transfers where they miraculously negotiate rather hard to believe fees.

Also if we had come in for him right now, they'd probably quote us 70m, as per the media.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hiya. No confirmation this is a release clause of any sort, Paul Barber our CEO previously said this;

Speaking on The Beautiful Game podcast, the Albion CEO said: “We don’t operate like that.
“We try and avoid things like that because they become such a point of discussion in negotiations that you spend hours and hours on something that may never happen or, if it does happen, it may not be the right price at the right time.
“We try and avoid things like that. We know other clubs use them, and that’s fine, but it’s not something that we tend to get involved with.”

While it’s possible an exception was made when Mac Allister signed his new contract prior to the World Cup, there is no evidence of this other than tweets from Romano (subsequently copied by other sources).

Romano has frequently been wrong in the past re: Brighton transfers (he “confirmed” Cucurella to Man City for £35m, before he ended up going to Chelsea for over £60m, for instance).

Every subsequent source such as The Telegraph, The Guardian, Ben Jacobs and a few others have basically regurgitated Romano’s original post.

Andy Naylor, probably the top Albion journalist has simply said: “The latest information I have on how things stand, according to Brighton, is that nothing is agreed with them in respect of Alexis Mac Allister joining Liverpool. #BHAFC

I personally think the fee will be around the £55-£60m range, dependant on add-ons. I doubt we’ll fully know the actual package details as our fees are never officially disclosed under Tony Bloom.
Cheers, hopefully you will rinse them.

gajender

I honestly do not believe the leaks that come out of the Liverpool based media. Brighton are notorious for their negotiations and they're suddenly selling for under 45m? This seems a regular feature with Liverpool transfers where they miraculously negotiate rather hard to believe fees.

Also if we had come in for him right now, they'd probably quote us 70m, as per the media.
Liverpool are quite notorious for their Media management it seems they always negotiate the lowest transfer fees , offer peanuts for wages and most players they purchase always reject United before choosing them .

And yet they are always at the Upper end of wages paid as well as the Agent fees , so forgive me for taking anything related to Liverpool transfers with huge grain of salt .

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Liverpool making moves already. Decent signing but I’m not bothered about this one. I’d rather they signed him than Bellingham.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The caf is convinced every player they sign is going to be the greatest player of all time.

Gakpo and Nunez really ought to have brought that kind of hysteria into check. Two decent, but far from world class players.

Pretty hard for them not to improve upon the current Henderson and Fabinho, the leaving Milner and the frequently injured Thiago. Their days as genuine title contenders are not assured next season just yet.

RuudTom83

I honestly have a hard time believing the transfer fees the British media like to report for Liverpool. Fees just nosedive when it comes to them. I swear if they signed Mbappe the media would report it as 25 million.
All funded from the sale of Coutinho no doubt ;)

The same logic can be applied to City, even with endless financial breaches the media will still report small fees.

But it’s all a farce, 99.999% of transfer tweets are utter garbage…but we need something to refresh while we are stuck at work.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Indeed. Once again I am jealous of another team's smart, early, and efficient transfer business where they pay a fair price, not a ridiculous "United are desparate lets take em to the cleaners" premium price we have to pay for anyone.
You'll be told that if the club doesn't find any good combo of price/age/ability then such a player doesn't exist

kouroux

The caf is convinced every player they sign is going to be the greatest player of all time.

Gakpo and Nunez really ought to have brought that kind of hysteria into check. Two decent, but far from world class players.

Pretty hard for them not to improve upon the current Henderson and Fabinho, the leaving Milner and the frequently injured Thiago. Their days as genuine title contenders are not assured next season just yet.
The main difference is that MacAllister is already PL proven

Rolaholic

The main difference is that MacAllister is already PL proven
Big contributor to a WC winning side as well, hate to say but it's a fantastic deal if the figures are legit.

Klopp thrives with players of his profile

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

Gakpo and Nunez came from a different league. This guy has already proven his worth in England and was also integral to a major national team’s win at the World Cup. I think he’s going to be so good for them. I hope I’m wrong.

gajender

Gakpo and Nunez came from a different league. This guy has already proven his worth in England and was also integral to a major national team’s win at the World Cup. I think he’s going to be so good for them. I hope I’m wrong.
He is going to be excellent for them unfortunately infact he is the one we should have been targeting as Casemiro's partner but I am not buying that he is going to Liverpool on cut price deal they have the form for this kind of favourable narrative being Spun to put them in better light .

cyberman

Cucurella and Bissouma also proved their worth in England and look how that turned out.
In fact Bissouma was the next midfielder that was a must have as well.

Oranges038

Ideal signing for them cnuts under Klopp.

Wijnaldum 2.0, good runner, decent on the ball, gives the midfield plenty of extra energy now. If they add another midfielder, with him and Elliot in front of Fabinho they'll be a different proposition next season.

Drizzle

Not that fussed about Mac Allister. He's a good player but I don't think he's what we need at United particularly. Annoying that Liverpool get him cheap though. Other than Nuñez, they do get players much much cheaper than we do. Diaz vs Antony for example.

That said, they were convinced they were getting Bellingham, so that's quite amusing. They were also in for Mount before Mac Allister.

kouroux

Cucurella and Bissouma also proved their worth in England and look how that turned out.
In fact Bissouma was the next midfielder that was a must have as well.
They did join shit teams this season. Not the ideal context to perform in. Klopp showed he can improve some players at Liverpool

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He looks tailor-made for Klopp to be fair. Could be a masterstroke, but looks like they still need 3 or 4 others to make it worthwhile.

No big signing is a sure thing, but Mac Allister has looked the part in big games, particularly against us. Great engine.

Malkovich

I find it funny how the media operates with Liverpool signings

Next news will be "Liverpool actually will receive money for signing MacAllister"

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally think Klopp is done as a top Liverpool manager and his signings have been off for some time.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Mac allister improves them but the team still doesn’t achieve expectations.

mu4c_20le

I personally think Klopp is done as a top Liverpool manager and his signings have been off for some time.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Mac allister improves them but the team still doesn’t achieve expectations.
I think so too. He' just isn't a 10+ year manager, and is already running on fumes.

Matt851

He would also be the perfect upgrade on eriksen

Righteous Steps

I just hope he's not like Chelsea's De Bruyne and he's about to go up another level or two, because I've been saying I think we need to find our De Bruyne. If Liverpool sign him for peanuts then that'll be something else.
Different player to De Bruyne, he won't be as good(obviously) and he isn't as creative, the best thing about Mac Allisters game is that he rarely loses or is dispossessed of the ball, he has great ball retention and can facilitate play, therefore a better comparison would be to De Bruynes teammate Gundogan, De Bruyne would be right at the other end of the scale in terms of midfielders who lose the ball.

saivet

I think he'll be a good signing for Liverpool. He's a good player but not particularly special in any department imo.

I'm personally happy with Mount over him, even if Mount ends up costing £10m - £15m more.

izec

Id have to disagree. Think he’s being massively over hyped.
It depends, i think some really dont rate him while others do, so it is pretty even. I personally think he is top quality and would have been a much better fit for us than Mount.

Halftrack

Mac Allister's had a good season, including an impressive world cup. Was rank average last season though, so I'd want to see him keep this kind of form up for a bit longer before declaring him a sure thing.

At the end of the day, I trust the manager and the rest of the backroom team to have a better idea about who's the best fit for how ten Hag wants us to play.

Giggsy13

Other than the novelty of having an Argie ginger with the last name Mac Allister, what’s the obsession with him?

RVN1991

Mount has done absolutely nothing in two years for club and country yet we're trying to convince ourselves he's better than Macallister who's excelled for Brighton and Argentina in that time span.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think he'll be a good signing for Liverpool. He's a good player but not particularly special in any department imo.

I'm personally happy with Mount over him, even if Mount ends up costing £10m - £15m more.
I think that pretty much accounts for the homegrown premium. I rate Mac Allister and if the price is as low as being reported, it does seem like the price for mount may be a bit expensive. I think if we can get some cheaper options in midfield alongside, that allow us to net spend, allow us to pay a bit more for Mount. He does allow for better squad building whilst offering quality, so could overall be better for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.