Alexis offered to Roma

UpWithRivers

Its depends on how the Ole and the rest of the coaching team see him. They will know more than everyone if he is done at the top level or not. From a supporters view it looks like he is and if so the quicker he goes the better.
I definitely agree it's ridiculous that we don't have a replacement but if he's done he's done. Get rid

HJ12

As I said before, we shouldn't sell him until another player comes in. We had a period last season when both Rashford and Martial were injured. If that were to happen this season, and we got rid of Sanchez without replacing him, we'd be left with Greenwood starting every game and Mellor on the bench as back-up.
Agree that he needs to go, but it needs to be managed properly.

Jimmy_Bond

Get rid at all costs.

His salary distorts all contract renewals and makes prospective signings more difficult.

I can't believe people have any reservations about this. He's not had one good game in 18 months and has signed handedly destroyed our wage structure, yet some people think he will still come good?

I guarantee after one 20 minute cameo people will be screaming "get rid" or "why didn't we get rid?!"

Allas8

Again did you watch him last season?
I watched most U23 games of 2019 yes, I just don't see the relevance in discussing that level of play. Only Gomes and Greenwood performed better then Chong at that level last season. Some inconsistent performance from Chong, but that is as expected, especially considering he came back from a year long injury, at max level Chong was tearing up the U23 defenders.

Did you watch Sanchez last season?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
its not a matter of trusting the young players alone but also a matter of trusting if they are already ready for the next step + if there is the necessary support around them for these kids to flourish. Many keep mentioning the class of 92. What most forget though is that they were older when they first burst into scene, they could rely on a way better manager and they were surrounded by the likes of Keane, Schmeichel, Irwin, Pally, Daisy and Cantona.

Also I am not comfortable giving too much games to 17-18 year olds. Their body is yet not fully developed and an injury can ruin them later on. I lost count of how many former young prodigies whose career was basically ruined by age 31 due to wear and tear. Rooney, fat Ronaldo, Owen, Kluivert....the list go on and on.
Its not a good comparison at all. When we play the class of 92, we trust them by selling our regular first team key players like Hughes, Kanchelski and Ince and expected most them to go straight into our starting line up as our 1st choice (Scholes, Beckham, Butt, Nevilles). But those kid we had now (Greenwood, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Chong etc) most of them are only expected to be 3rd or 4th choice or bench warmer, and all we did is selling our flop or bench player like Lukaku or even Sanchez.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yet but we are not selling useful player. We are trying to offload a liability on and off the pitch.

Also Glazers take out money in dividends, not every money saved.
Lukaku was a consistent top scorer, herrera was our 2nd best CM and Fellaini had his uses. Sanchez would be needed in a team that can't be bothered to really strengthening a side who ended 6th place last season

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Bin him off, don’t want Sanchez and I don’t want Llorente either. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood is enough for one spot.

devilish

Its not a good comparison at all. When we play the class of 92, we trust them by selling our regular first team key players like Hughes, Kanchelski and Ince and expected most them to go straight into our starting line up as our 1st choice (Scholes, Beckham, Butt, Nevilles). But those kid we had now (Greenwood, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Chong etc) most of them are only expected to be 3rd or 4th choice or bench warmer, and all we did is selling our flop or bench player like Lukaku or even Sanchez.
No one dreamt of us winning the league that year. Critics placed us between 2nd and 4th. Meanwhile our shares plummeted while Sir alex spent a summer chasing Anderton. Even he thought that the step we were making was a step too far

Ultimately everyone stepped up that year especially Keane, schmeichel and Cantona. We don't have those players anymore

The class of 92 were older, they played in a better team, under a waaaaaaay better manager and in a less competitive league.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lukaku was a consistent top scorer, herrera was our 2nd best CM and Fellaini had his uses. Sanchez would be needed in a team that can't be bothered to really strengthening a side who ended 6th place last season
I was talking about Sanchez and Sanchez alone. Nothing to do with Lukaku, Herrera.

Dalot was more useful attacker than Sanchez last season. That's how shit he was.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You’ve answered your own question really. Why would we keep somebody even worse than those players?

The only defence Sanchez has is he used to be a good player, but that doesn’t mean much. If we have a chance to get rid of him we have to take it, otherwise he could be stuck here another 3 years and we’re paying his insane wages for very little output

devilish

I was talking about Sanchez and Sanchez alone. Nothing to do with Lukaku, Herrera.

Dalot was more useful attacker than Sanchez last season. That's how shit he was.
We are talking of the entire squad. If we keep dismantling the squad then it's only fair you end up reliant on what you've got. I wouldn't have said anything if Rojo or Jones were sold. Unfortunately we are ridiculously light upfront

roonster09

Scout
We are talking of the entire squad. If we keep dismantling the squad then it's only fair you end up reliant on what you've got. I wouldn't have said anything if Rojo or Jones were sold. Unfortunately we are ridiculously light upfront
Of course we are light up front. So we have decision to make, stick with proven shit that ended up as a failure in the last 18 months or take a step in right direction and start the rebuild by making space for promising youngsters.

Whatever the mins Sanchez played, give it to someone like James and he will offer more to the team.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yup that sounds like the usual planning from Utd. Take a proven premier league goal scorer who despite what everyone thinks about his touch, does score goals, and replace him with a 17 year old kid unproven at senior level.
Sanchez has scored 5 goals in 45 games. The idea he is a goal threat for us is a nonsense.

M16Red

I watched most U23 games of 2019 yes, I just don't see the relevance in discussing that level of play. Only Gomes and Greenwood performed better then Chong at that level last season. Some inconsistent performance from Chong, but that is as expected, especially considering he came back from a year long injury, at max level Chong was tearing up the U23 defenders.

Did you watch Sanchez last season?
Not much :).

Chong's control in big league is not good enough currently and most of his game is based a round pace and power which will count for nothing in the EPL. He runs with is head down.

I've wanted a left footed winger for years, sadly i don't think personally Chong will answer that call.

Canagel

Sanchez' absymal production makes it easy to accept him to go without replacement. 2 goals in 1.5 years, no on pitch relationship or chemistry with any players, not even able to stay fit. I never liked his style of play even when he was good. Get rid and pray the attack stays healthy until January.

Kostov

Depends on the conditions of the exit. If Inter completely cover his wages or he agrees to a lower wage with an obligation to buy than yes, we should let him leave even if we are thin with numbers and the fee is minimal. If we are still paying his wages than there is no point of letting him go.

JohnnyKills

Depends on the conditions of the exit. If Inter completely cover his wages or he agrees to a lower wage with an obligation to buy than yes, we should let him leave even if we are thin with numbers and the fee is minimal. If we are still paying his wages than there is no point of letting him go.
You have to think about the wider impact on the squad though. If the players see him doing nothing every day, picking up more money than all of them, the dressing room is going to remain a powderkeg waiting to explode. We need to get him out of sight even if it means paying half his wage to leave.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Last season. The last time he played any football was at the Copa America and he looked far from useless.
He wasn't great in those games either. Scored a goal and everyone said he played well. He was actually very poor in that game. Losing the ball constantly.

He is finished. End of story.

flappyjay

So the only way we can afford fecking Llorente from Spurs rubbish can is to get rid of Sanchez first? How the mighty has truly fallen

At least Sanchez was once a top player
It's not about afford. It's about taking an opportunity that will probably not come again to offload Sanchez without shelling anything out from our end. Llorente happens to be the only decent option on a free. We would probably go for a better option if the window was still open

Johan07

I watch as much United games as possible which usually means all first team games and some u23 games. How can we say that the kids are ready for first team football if the u23s has little experience at top level and the u23 had done badly as well? Shouldn't we keep the experienced heads close by just in case they are ready yet or is cutting wages more important that football these days?

I don't mind if Sanchez leave. However let's get replacement for herrera and Lukaku + add a RW first
I would keep Sanchez around as well until the January window to begin with. At the same time if he insists on going I dont think it will make or break our season either.
As for the U23s we have kinda sucked at that level for quite awhile now. We are even in the second division now.
That squad is mostly comprised of players that will never make it at United, with some additions on game days from the players that are on the fringes of the first team squad and trains with them. I would not read to much into Garner, Chong and Gomes performances there tbf. I dont really see the point with the U23-league tbh, it would be better with an all out reserve league.
Its the U18s thats the important part of our youth setup, and they are doing alright.

fps

Inter to reunite the dream team of Lukaku and Sanchez... it's a bad apple-fest.

Nikelesh Reddy

It's not about afford. It's about taking an opportunity that will probably not come again to offload Sanchez without shelling anything out from our end. Llorente happens to be the only decent option on a free. We would probably go for a better option if the window was still open
Exactly,if we keep him now nobody might come forward to take him in January,let alone next summer.We will be stuck with him for the next 2 seasons...,He’s been a disastrous signing and he can’t perform in the PL anymore,it’s better to offload him while we can...

theklr

Its depends on how the Ole and the rest of the coaching team see him. They will know more than everyone if he is done at the top level or not. From a supporters view it looks like he is and if so the quicker he goes the better.
I definitely agree it's ridiculous that we don't have a replacement but if he's done he's done. Get rid
I think its quite apparant that Ole wants him in the team, what he is basing it on is hard to say - but that he have hopes that he can perform for sure. Its either Alexis himself or Woodward/Glazers that is pushing this. Ole is overruled yet again, sad to see.

Revan

Assumptionman
As I said before, we shouldn't sell him until another player comes in. We had a period last season when both Rashford and Martial were injured. If that were to happen this season, and we got rid of Sanchez without replacing him, we'd be left with Greenwood starting every game and Mellor on the bench as back-up.
Agree that he needs to go, but it needs to be managed properly.
Neither of those players are injury prone, but sure, it can happen that both of them are out for a couple of matches at the same time. In that event, out attack would be James on the left, Greenwood in the center and Lingard in the right, with 2 or 3 of Mata, Gomes, Chong and Dalot in the bench. It is hardly great, but replace any of those names with Sanchez and it doesn't get better, in fact, it would be worse based on the 18 months he played for us.

devilish

We should have improved our attacking department irrespective whether Sanchez left or stayed. Now we are extremely light there and we can't keep losing players

Also Llorente is shit. Id rather see us not spending anything then go for a former player.

flappyjay

We should have improved our attacking department irrespective whether Sanchez left or stayed. Now we are extremely light there and we can't keep losing players

Also Llorente is shit. Id rather see us not spending anything then go for a former player.
Point is the most important thing is removing Sanchez from the wage bill.

SilverPaper on the Breeze

We finally accepted Rooney’s legs were gone and managed to shift his massive wages off the books, only to replace the problem almost immediately with Sanchez. I think the physical demands of elite level football mean that players who started very young, like Rooney, Torres, Sanchez etc (especially forwards who rely on the first yard or two) burn out and become over the hill sooner.

In general, I think a player’s peak on average has got younger anyway. Used to be 27-31, whereas now it’s more 23-28.
Sanchez, like Rooney, was a great player but his energy and work rate made him exceptional and that’s not coming back; if we can ship him out, we should do and count our blessings someone was in for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

devilish

Of course we are light up front. So we have decision to make, stick with proven shit that ended up as a failure in the last 18 months or take a step in right direction and start the rebuild by making space for promising youngsters.

Whatever the mins Sanchez played, give it to someone like James and he will offer more to the team.
James will get minutes as RW. We're shit there as well. Sanchez has had a horrible 18 months mostly due to injuries and 2 managerial changes. Id say lets give him till January. We can then assess things then. If he does well then we will rediscover a top top player. If he does badly then the kids will play. If the kids do badly then we'll have the numbers needed to hold the fort till January when hopefully Mr Woodward will be ready to part the money to finally get a forward. I can understand the urge to rely on the flavour of the season. However these guys have done absolutely nothing to deserve such trust. Even our U23 had been shit by the looks of it

devilish

Point is the most important thing is removing Sanchez from the wage bill.
The most important thing is to make it to top 4. Sorry if I still see Manchester United as a football club not as a corporate business whose sole aim is to generate as much revenue to the shareholders as possible.

flappyjay

The most important thing is to make it to top 4. Sorry if I still see Manchester United as a football club not as a corporate business.
Do you seriously believe that he will contribute to that. If we get rid now we can also get a replacement in January.

devilish

I would keep Sanchez around as well until the January window to begin with. At the same time if he insists on going I dont think it will make or break our season either.
As for the U23s we have kinda sucked at that level for quite awhile now. We are even in the second division now.
That squad is mostly comprised of players that will never make it at United, with some additions on game days from the players that are on the fringes of the first team squad and trains with them. I would not read to much into Garner, Chong and Gomes performances there tbf. I dont really see the point with the U23-league tbh, it would be better with an all out reserve league.
Its the U18s thats the important part of our youth setup, and they are doing alright.
Our U23 is at second division? Seriously? Reading the posts in here I thought that the Greenwoods, the Chongs, the Gomeses and the Garners were scoring hat-tricks at that level for fun. If we keep dismantling the team up then the first team we'll soon catch up with our elite U23 (ok that was a joke)

devilish

Do you seriously believe that he will contribute to that. If we get rid now we can also get a replacement in January.
I think he's got a bigger chance of contributing to the team if he stays here rather then at Inter.

roonster09

Scout
James will get minutes as RW. We're shit there as well. Sanchez has had a horrible 18 months mostly due to injuries and 2 managerial changes. Id say lets give him till January. We can then assess things then. If he does well then we will rediscover a top top player. If he does badly then the kids will play. If the kids do badly then we'll have the numbers needed to hold the fort till January when hopefully Mr Woodward will be ready to part the money to finally get a forward. I can understand the urge to rely on the flavour of the season. However these guys have done absolutely nothing to deserve such trust. Even our U23 had been shit by the looks of it
Greenwood has been class. Why don't they deserve trust? If they don't then players who stunk up the place for 18 months for sure don't deserve.

Also funny club gets so much shit when they don't clear the deadwood and also get shit when they try to correct the mistakes. Yes we don't have replacement ready but these are small steps taken to move in right direction. Trust the kids to play squad role rather than highest paid player in the league who is arguably the worst player since he signed. If kids don't step up then we can sign someone in Jan.

Whether kids can step up is a question mark, Sanchez being a liability is proven.

roonster09

Scout
Our U23 is at second division? Seriously? Reading the posts in here I thought that the Greenwoods, the Chongs, the Gomeses and the Garners were scoring hat-tricks at that level for fun. If we keep dismantling the team up then the first team we'll soon catch up with our elite U23 (ok that was a joke)
Maybe you should watch few Greenwood games before dismissing their performance like that.

Going by your posts anyone would believe Sanchez was an asset, not a liability on the pitch. Young players who may or may not step up > proven shit players.

devilish

Greenwood has been class. Why don't they deserve trust? If they don't then players who stunk up the place for 18 months for sure don't deserve.

Also funny club gets so much shit when they don't clear the deadwood and also get shit when they try to correct the mistakes. Yes we don't have replacement ready but these are small steps taken to move in right direction. Trust the kids to play squad role rather than highest paid player in the league who is arguably the worst player since he signed. If kids don't step up then we can sign someone in Jan.

Whether kids can step up is a question mark, Sanchez being a liability is proven.
Well he's 17, he barely have any EPL experience and he's probably part of the same 'elite' U23 who had been relegated to division 2. That's quite surprising considering how ridiculously rated our kids are.

I find clubs who give deadwood long term contracts and refuse to replace players as sad. As a big admirer of AC Milan of the late 80s-early 90s, I found their descend as tragic. Its a shame that we seem to have taken such route as well