Alexis Sanchez Chile flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Striker
Winger Alexis Winger

No matter where he plays he just seems to end up in the same areas as Pogba. I'm at a loss as to where he fits in. Poor Ole has to try and include him somehow or he'll never hear the end of it at every presser.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wish the club would do a dybala or Bale ‘persona non grata’ move on him.

Am literally sick of seeing or hearing about him and remembering how pathetic he has been and how much he is paid for those services.

Should be humiliated out of the club.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s always capable of creating. The massively negative thing about him is that when he’s not creating he’s essentially destroying all rhythms of play for us. He refuses to believe he’s no longer capable of dribbling like he used to, he doesn’t understand where to be positionally in attacking transitions with Pogba in the team, and he doesn’t quite get why he should just make a simple pass to retain possession. Every possession of his looks over exerted and laborious. He hasn’t quite yet figured out how to pick your moments like every good aging footballer does as they get older.

LW/RW are self-destructing positions to play him. A BIG portion of our attacking transitions get funnelled through these positions and we can’t afford his inefficiency. He has records for possession loss.

Solution? Play him in behind the striker/#10/whatever the feck it’s called these days. There is less of an incentive to ‘dribble’ like you would in LW/RW so he’ll do it less. It will just make use of his decent tight space ball control and quick creativity and not much more. There is more risk allowance in that role anyway. This will free our strikers from dropping deeper to pick up the ball and allows them to use their speed (rash/tony) and off the ball movement to play off of Alexis’s passes.

Of course I still think he no longer has anymore ‘try again’ tokens left at united but if we’re really stuck with him then that’s what I think best suits all the strengths and weaknesses he has shown us in a United shirt.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
Sanchez has to play on the left. Using him as a number 10 would be such a waste of an integral creative position.

Based on his time at arsenal his passing ability and vision were not his strong characteristics.

I still believe you can get a good 15-20 goals from him if your midfielders can get those balls in behind the opposition defense at pace.

Its bloody weird how he is struggling to find form currently though, always viewed him as a fighter and a winner.

Wish the club would do a dybala or Bale ‘persona non grata’ move on him.

Am literally sick of seeing or hearing about him and remembering how pathetic he has been and how much he is paid for those services.

Should be humiliated out of the club.
Both those players are still at their respective clubs!

We all would love him to move on, but it’s unlikely, and whilst he’s here let’s try and get something useful out of him. We have a lot of games (potentially) in the Europa League this season.

We don’t want to be a shitbag of a club like Madrid.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If he's playing this year I hope it's centrally - he's finished out wide.

Trophy Room

Sanchez has to play on the left. Using him as a number 10 would be such a waste of an integral creative position.

Based on his time at arsenal his passing ability and vision were not his strong characteristics.

I still believe you can get a good 15-20 goals from him if your midfielders can get those balls in behind the opposition defense at pace.

Its bloody weird how he is struggling to find form currently though, always viewed him as a fighter and a winner.
Just no. He is done on the wings.

VJ1762

His decline has been shocking. I was watching this video and i think we missed a trick by not bringing him a year earlier.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Arsenal fans that I heard in person & social media seem to think that his best position & his best season is on the left. But I do remember there was a season when he played central and he was banging many goals and in that season he was registered as the player with the most through ball attempt in the league. I remember watching him lot in that season he scored & also creating lot of chances for arsenal. Not sure how arsenal fans don’t actually rate his contribution in that central role.

He has lost pace & energy a lot, the best position for him will be playing him number 10 to create chance for others, link up play, and make a run in the box to score. While playing him as forwards or wingers will require lot of pace & energy to keep making run behind defenders or dribble past defenders which Alexis doesn’t have the asset anymore.

Bondi77

What has happened to him since the Copa?
I remember Ole saying it was not a bad injury but he thought at some point he would be linking up with the group.
It has got to the stage now that when I think of our team I forget about him.

Siddharth

The best posish for him to play would be as a striker in Europa League. He has goals in him. He's done as a winger. To play as a 10 one must have vision and creativity and must not have propensity to be a ball-hogger.

AmanNits04

Is there a possibility that we might see a better Sanchez this year?
Or all our hopes are lost.
I still have a bit of faith in him.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Is there a possibility that we might see a better Sanchez this year?
Or all our hopes are lost.
I still have a bit of faith in him.
I also believe he’s not finished yet. With a right team set up we can get the best out of him.

Build up. Our formation in preseason relied on inverted wide wingers (yeah, sounds weird) to provide width. Fullbacks were instructed to run in the box and underlap.

Siege zone. The overlaps took place 15-20 m from goal line. Very high. Wide players move into the box to becoming strikers, full back is very close to the box and in a position to deliver a powerful low cross.

Thus, Ole uses Rashford and James speed to full strength. I believe, Rashford is going to be twice of a player he was (I don’t mean goals, but general contribution to teamplay in all phases). He has space to beat his man, has time to turn and cross with his right. He also can shoot arriving at speed in the box, or just from outside the box. He will drop deeper and track back adding defensive balance on the left.

Sanchez style is just not fit for Ole’s tactics on the wing. No speed. He can’t do “kick the ball past” type dribbling any more. That’s why even when he starts wide he never actually plays on the flank. He cuts inside and loses the ball. It’s so annoying that players avoid passing to him! (well, it’s very subjective view but I couldn’t help feeling his partners reluctance)

He likes to dribble in tight spaces. Alexis is defenders nightmare when in form. Balance, agility and stinginess. He always seems determined to drag the ball through all 11 opposition players. If he is played rightly and trusted (he will lose the ball A LOT before he start to tick). If we are patient and let him do his thing, we will be rewarded with TONs of space. It is gamble, but a worthy one. a player of Alexis caliber needs partners trust. They must support him with the runs, pass to him without fear.

Mourinho didn’t have time and tactics to use Sanchez properly, as Ole in the last season.

We needed the immediate results. I don’t believe that Sanchez lost his pace and became crap. Too simplistic. He is a very talented multifaceted player.

In short, Alexis is not a counter attacking player. Think of team possession as a resource. Sanchez’s needs a lot of procession (he spends the resource, it is his fuel) to click. Once he starts to click, he will unlock dense defenses because density is an environment where he thrives.

Last edited:

GoldanoGraham

I think that he will certainly perform better this season.

His link up play with Lukaku was shocking - they were always on totally different wave lengths - this you could see really frustrated Alexis hence he became more greedy - why pass to Rom when he would end up losing possession?

Both Rashford & Martial make much more intelligent runs and offer much more options to pass into than the static Lukaku - therefore more intricate and faster passing will help Alexis - also both these guys run into space to create openings - Lukaku ran into Alexis space whenever I saw them play together.

A high pressing forward line is much better for Alexis as he has a great engine and is tenacious at closing space and forcing the error - again very frustrating for him before when he was doing this and then he looks across the pitch and Lukaku has hands on hips gasping for air recovering from his last run.

I think that if Alexis can stay fit (big ask) and he can get a couple of good performances and goals under his belt and get his confidence up then he could be like a new signing and what we were hoping for.

Surely he has to come good at some time? I’m hoping that Ole can give him that confidence as he’s an exorbitant cost that so far has failed miserably but as we can see - there is nobody willing to take him off our hands.

Like with Fred also - this is a new season, a more positive approach and they don't become bad players overnight.

We’ve got to support these guys as they are here and what we have for the season.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I think that he will certainly perform better this season.

His link up play with Lukaku was shocking - they were always on totally different wave lengths - this you could see really frustrated Alexis hence he became more greedy - why pass to Rom when he would end up losing possession?

Both Rashford & Martial make much more intelligent runs and offer much more options to pass into than the static Lukaku - therefore more intricate and faster passing will help Alexis - also both these guys run into space to create openings - Lukaku ran into Alexis space whenever I saw them play together.

A high pressing forward line is much better for Alexis as he has a great engine and is tenacious at closing space and forcing the error - again very frustrating for him before when he was doing this and then he looks across the pitch and Lukaku has hands on hips gasping for air recovering from his last run.

I think that if Alexis can stay fit (big ask) and he can get a couple of good performances and goals under his belt and get his confidence up then he could be like a new signing and what we were hoping for.

Surely he has to come good at some time? I’m hoping that Ole can give him that confidence as he’s an exorbitant cost that so far has failed miserably but as we can see - there is nobody willing to take him off our hands.

Like with Fred also - this is a new season, a more positive approach and they don't become bad players overnight.

We’ve got to support these guys as they are here and what we have for the season.
Yes. His pressing contribution is another big pro.

AR87

I think he's spent as a game changing force but when he did play under Ole last year I thought he looked better. If he could even just accept a super sub role and play strictly through the middle that would be such a boost. Not holding my breath, but hope's all I got at this point for him.

AmanNits04

It's been so long since I saw him last play for United. I hope he comes back stronger and proves his mettle. If he performs, I am sure our team will start performing better.

DownRiver

He is literally our only hope. He could be world class in his day. Just hope things change, I really do.

AJ10

I think he's spent as a game changing force but when he did play under Ole last year I thought he looked better. If he could even just accept a super sub role and play strictly through the middle that would be such a boost. Not holding my breath, but hope's all I got at this point for him.
play him through the middle and he won't be as shit, here's hoping he rediscovers some form, its not lack of trying on his part imo.

Rajma

Unless we play him through the middle (false 9) there's no point been saying that since day one.

Nick7

I hope he's actually good this year.

I don't think he will be, but it would be a massive bonus if he is.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is as slow as Mata. He has flopped not cause he has attitude issues. He's simply not physically up to it. Painful watching him trying to get away from players.

JoaquinJoaquin

I hope he's actually good this year.

I don't think he will be, but it would be a massive bonus if he is.
We need him to be, but I don't think he will get enough chances at CF (his best position nowadays). Be gone to China in Jan or next Summer.

Njord

It's not just physical though. The amount of wrong passes, techinal faults, loss of possession etc. has been far to high. It's definetaly a confidence/mental issue as well as a physical one. If it's also an effort issue, then we should just pay him off to cancel the contract, and get him as far away from the club as as possible.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sanchez's best season for Arsenal was at centre forward, we need that kind of form from him this season. I've no real belief he will show up for us but God I hope he does. Alexis at his best could carry this squad.

EwanI Ted

It's not just physical though. The amount of wrong passes, techinal faults, loss of possession etc. has been far to high. It's definetaly a confidence/mental issue as well as a physical one. If it's also an effort issue, then we should just pay him off to cancel the contract, and get him as far away from the club as as possible.
He was always like that tbf. I remember seeing the stat at the link below at the end of the 2016/17 season. Lost the ball that season more times than anyone else in the league. Difference now is that his good traits dont make up for it.

Raw

He was always like that tbf. I remember seeing the stat at the link below at the end of the 2016/17 season. Lost the ball that season more times than anyone else in the league. Difference now is that his good traits dont make up for it.

Pretty mental looking at the level of the other teams there. No one but Arsenal from the top 6, and only Leicester in the upper midtable range having players that they've already got rid of.

And our Alexis tops the lot.

Sambob

Can definitely see why we signed him at any cost based on that. It was the right move at the time, he was probably THE BEST player in the world at that point - *which was available to buy* - which is the key point. He was premier league proven too, and I seem to remember him carrying that Arsenal team on his back. Everyone wanted him, and it seemed like perfect sense that he would just slot in and cover the deficiencies that we had at the time.

If, and its a massive if at the point, he can get back to this form then our creativity is fixed, our right wing is fixed, and we can bring the kids through in time. Dont think he will recover though if im honest, seems like he would struggle even in the Championship at the moment.

Chicharito_

His decline has been shocking. I was watching this video and i think we missed a trick by not bringing him a year earlier.

Watching this he never seemed to kick and rush players with pace he was just so electric in tight spaces with incredible instinct.

Surely he has not lost everything? Is it a confidence thing?

Stacks

This guy has heart, he always has. I just hope his ability is still there and matches up to it
Can definitely see why we signed him at any cost based on that. It was the right move at the time, he was probably THE BEST player in the world at that point - *which was available to buy* - which is the key point. He was premier league proven too, and I seem to remember him carrying that Arsenal team on his back. Everyone wanted him, and it seemed like perfect sense that he would just slot in and cover the deficiencies that we had at the time.

If, and its a massive if at the point, he can get back to this form then our creativity is fixed, our right wing is fixed, and we can bring the kids through in time. Dont think he will recover though if im honest, seems like he would struggle even in the Championship at the moment.
24 months is not enough eh?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He is as slow as Mata. He has flopped not cause he has attitude issues. He's simply not physically up to it. Painful watching him trying to get away from players.
This. It does look like he’s genuinely trying but it’s just not happening as he’s shot physically.

Raw

Plus his only mate, Lukaku, has left so he's not going to be happy. Gonna be a billy no mates this season.

flappyjay

Exactly that's why it's hard to put any faith in him. If he was as intelligent on the field as Ronaldo he would focus more on getting into goal scoring positions as he is still a good finisher when he gets a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.