Alexis Sanchez United player

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Not to pop the Sanchez hype train but he did lose the ball quite a bit? Anyone notice?
He certainly did, but that's because he keeps trying to create something. It's not unusual for him, as the gooner fans would say that he lost the ball quite a lot for them. I do wonder how his play will differentiate when played on the right.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd rather see our players trying to create something and giving the ball away than being overly careful with the ball and being mind numbingly dull, haven't we all had enough of that sort of shite football?

ClosetDevil

I don't really have an issue with him losing the ball in the opponent's half. It's clear he has the vision and creativity to create something out of nothing. What remains to be seen is if the opportunity cost of him losing the ball will be offsetted by the number of goals he either sets up or assists. Effeciency.

togg

Not to pop the Sanchez hype train but he did lose the ball quite a bit? Anyone notice?
Every footballer gives the ball away, but not every footballer has the talent to make something happen on a regular basis. Sanchez is one of those players. Wish he was a couple of years younger, but he looks after himself so hopefully we will get a good number of years out of him!

Seven Seas Sardines

Yes he did, but so did everyone else. He doesn't stop trying things. That is what this team misses, someone who will take a risk, it might not always come off, but will be brilliant when it does.
Exactly. Reminds me of the first games of Di Maria, where things were always happening whenever he got the ball. Luckily Alexis won't fade into oblivion like the snake did.

Dyslexic Untied

I was positively surprised considering the state of the pitch and the fact that it was his first game in a not too strong line up.

Looks like he can hit a decent corner too. Can’t actually remember when we had last had someone with that ability.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There was a stat couple of years back that Messi had given the ball away the most in European football.
It's been a feature of Sanchez's game all his career so there's no changing that.
He gives the ball away because he tries stuff. I think Mourinho is well aware of this and won't try to change him.

OneUnited24

I thought he lost it a lot in the first half with some wayward passes but i think he was trying to hard to make things happen. Once he started to grow into the game he looked better.

Thisistheone

As others said, he gives the ball away because he is constantly trying to make things happen. The last few years of Giggs' career were the same, people moaning he gave the ball away yet he was always the one to demand the ball and try something. Not one to shy away or play the safe sideways pass. Sanchez looks like he's got that courage.

Can't wait to see him link up with Pogba, Luakaku & Martial.

Luis DC

Supports
Universidad de Chile
As others said, he gives the ball away because he is constantly trying to make things happen. The last few years of Giggs' career were the same, people moaning he gave the ball away yet he was always the one to demand the ball and try something. Not one to shy away or play the safe sideways pass. Sanchez looks like he's got that courage.

Can't wait to see him link up with Pogba, Luakaku & Martial.
Is a fact the he gives the ball away a lot, but never for negligence or because he was distracted, that would be unforgivable in any player. As many have mentioned before he take risks in order to create.
Soon, with more matches together, his teammates would recognize "his signals" and make everything more fluid and reducing the lost of balls. In Arsenal it was hard due the lack of capacity of some of their players.
Other reason will be that the other teams will focus in Alexis more and more, making things difficult for him, but he can deal with that if he has more options to pass the ball, mobility of every one will be essential.
So lets have patience and hope he can sync fast with the team to reduce the losses and enjoy his plays. Arsenal fans were so fond of him that at the beginning they didn't care about the loses, when the thinks get difficult due the lack of performances of the team, they never get that a lot of the loses became because the other players didn't get Aexis plays. At the end, when was lear that Alexis wanted to leave, they just demanded perfection and started to complains a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Seagulls.vii

Proper Manchester United player - skill, courage, decision making

His creativity and passing are underrated, better than exhibited yesterday.

He has come a long way since his Udinese days (when he could have joined us) and is now a bona fide world-class superstar capable of grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and inspiring his team to glory. Perfect for our team at its current stage of evolution and potentially a seismic gamechanger in the elite teams’ power dynamics and our trophy ambitions.

Reactions: Raoul

IrishRedDevil

Of no relevance to this thread but my black away jersey was delivered today with Alexis 7 on the back. It really is a thing of beauty :drool:
Very nice jersey anyway and Alexis on the back is the cherry on the cake.
The Cup Competition font is far better than the PL font.

Luis DC

Supports
Universidad de Chile
Of no relevance to this thread but my black away jersey was delivered today with Alexis 7 on the back. It really is a thing of beauty :drool:
Very nice jersey anyway and Alexis on the back is the cherry on the cake.
The Cup Competition font is far better than the PL font.
here in Chile the red one with the 7 at the back is selling like crazy. between yesterday and today in the morning I saw at least 5 person with one. The press reports that Adidas is very happy with the sells.

Andy_Cole

I was positively surprised considering the state of the pitch and the fact that it was his first game in a not too strong line up.

Looks like he can hit a decent corner too. Can’t actually remember when we had last had someone with that ability.
Phil Jones.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He certainly did, but that's because he keeps trying to create something. It's not unusual for him, as the gooner fans would say that he lost the ball quite a lot for them. I do wonder how his play will differentiate when played on the right.
He will certaintly stop doing those long switching passes for starters.

SATA

Still can't believe he's ours :drool: It was proper weird seeing him in a United shirt on Friday after three years in an Arsenal one

RuudTom83

I admit i don't follow Arsenal so this could have been mentioned before...

But i find is daft that United win 4-0 and every analysis of Sanchez mentioned how much!!! he lost the ball.

As if every forward pass should result in an assist...:rolleyes:

superdry

touched by a genius
He lost the ball often, but the only killer passes in the game came from him too.
Speculate to Accumulate.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's always been someone who loses the ball pretty often, but as others say, it's because he tries things constantly. There will be games where shit doesn't come off and he'll be frustrating, but he's always been between 70-80% basically for pass completion, which obviously isn't too high, but fine for an attacker like him who constantly is looking for that killer pass or big switches to unsettle defences.

Canagel

Neymar gives the ball away more than anyone in Ligue 1. It's a luxury these big players can afford so I'm not really going to be bothered about it if Sanchez is racking up the goals and assists for us.

FujiVice

Best way to not give the ball away is to hide away and not demand it. I prefer the alternative to that.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Wow, you guys are hard on him. He used to lose the ball even more for us but you hardly heard any of us complain. Of course we were more dependent on him so had higher tolerance.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People need to distinguish between giving the ball away and being dispossessed
It is quite normal for ball carriers, who are their team's main dribblers to have high numbers for being dispossessed.
I saw a stat a couple of years ago that Messi, Hazard and Suarez were the worst performers in this area.
If you want your top players to drive with the ball and take people on, it''s something you have to deal with.
Most teams have contingencies for their top players losing the ball.
Mkhi's problem was different. He kept on giving the ball away under no pressure.

Nikelesh Reddy

It will be interesting to see if we stick to 4-3-3.Obviously we"ll play with 3 in the middle against Spurs,but I wonder if we will stick to this formation week in,week out...4-3-3 could get the best out of Pogba and Sanchez...

Roeindo

Best way to not give the ball away is to hide away and not demand it. I prefer the alternative to that.
Agree with this..other alternative is back pass and side pass..it will good for the successful pass stats but it means nothing and well start complaining it too...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Exactly. Reminds me of the first games of Di Maria, where things were always happening whenever he got the ball. Luckily Alexis won't fade into oblivion like the snake did.
Di Maria was fine, while our players were told to attack.
When we lost to LCFC 5-3, LVG went into his shell and all our attackers went downhill.
Di Maria was/is a flair player who will do well as long as he is allowed to attack and express himself.

Jose (against lesser teams), allows our attackers run free, which will suit Sanchez.

I for one, am really really excited about him. Every time I think about him playing for us, it brings a smile to my face. And because of his work rate, he is a Jose-type player, through and through.
A player of the highest quality who will improve our attack.
I still can't believe we got him!

Antonedwin

Yes he did, but so did everyone else. He doesn't stop trying things. That is what this team misses, someone who will take a risk, it might not always come off, but will be brilliant when it does.
He tries to make things happen, isn't afraid to make a risky pass to spark an attack. You're going to give the ball away if you play like that, especially when he's in a new team where his teammates aren't on his wavelength yet, so there's bound to be a few misplaced passes.

He's already brought so much new life to our forward play.
Rival fans will keep counting how many times he lost possession or misplace pass , media will exaggerate that stats.
, but let's remember under LVG, horrid ,boring, robotics football afraid to take any risk all day long, i am losing my happiness with football during his time.

Neymar lost the ball the most in Farmers ligue 1 , it doesn't mean he is bad player, they just keep trying to make things happen.

Last edited:

svastian99

I agree. The pain of the Arsenal fan is evident. They can continue counting Alexis' erroneous passes, (his percentage of successful passes is about 73% but last season in the PL had better statistics than Ozil (successful passes, key passes, assists, chances created, shot accuracy, interceptions).

To our benefit we will have more creativity, goals, through balls, key passes and direct free-kicks; surely Mou will occupy he mainly as RW and will demand things that he already has such as the recovery of the ball and constant pressure in the rival area.

Alexis understands the game in an offensive way, it is natural for him to create opportunities that is why he tries to change the band a few times, surely there will be some wrong passes ... but what counts is the intention to attack. Without a doubt, when he knows more about his teammates' game... the amount of those mistakes will be less. Mou will surely work that aspect of him.

I prefer to lose the ball as close as possible to the opponent's goal trying a dangerous play ... than half an hour only with lateral passes.

A well-organized defense, a midfield that has control of the ball and a vertiginous forward. It's what I expect from what's left of this season.

PS. Alexis 1.69m, Mata 1.70m, Lingard 1.74m (Aguero 1.70m, Sterling 1.70m).

Last edited:
Reactions: Carolina Red

VanGaalEra

:drool:

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fanzone/Ne...ers-behind-the-arrival-of-Alexis-Sanchez.aspx

THE GREATEST STAGE FOR SHOWMAN ALEXIS

With so much focus given to the finances behind Alexis Sanchez’s transfer to Manchester United, the key to the move was reflected in a different set of numbers.

In purely arithmetical terms, the signing of Alexis Sanchez was, frankly, stupefying. Even in the age of bigness, and given only the most cursory scrutiny, the numbers are nothing short of eye-watering.

Within 24 hours, over 20 million people had witnessed his piano tinkling video, #Alexis7 had become the world's most-used Twitter hashtag, a new record for 'likes' of a single post was set on the club's Instagram post and ManUtd.com had its most-read article of the season so far. For greater context, across all social media outlets, the announcement was comfortably and convincingly bigger than Neymar's 2017 move to Paris Saint-Germain - the most expensive transfer in football history.

Status
Not open for further replies.