Alien: Isolation

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
A fort made from scrap... may as well just make a sheet fort! I've never been fond of it as a gameplay option, barricading doors might be neat but in terms of plausibility, it would require several people to be able to move heavy enough objects/scrap to make barricading worth while. It's more of a multiplayer experience option imo. From a technical view point it also takes away the use of lightmaps, so that in itself would increase graphical stress, despite lightmaps finally being pushed into the history books it's still a valid option for most developers at this point.

From a technical level, I'd say that the shaders needed more work. I don't have any issues with the lighting though, the particles vary in quality, but I'm used to UE4 so all particles in every game looks awful in comparison!
They certainly do! :lol:

I think the textures here are poor, look at the smoke. It is just layers that don't dissapate when you near them, they just fade very quickly. I haven't studied the game, it's just noticeable right away. Like the shadows.

In this day and age in a game like this for that spooky feel it's important to have as much dynamic as possible though right? And even the things you have to fake should be approximated a little better. This is all just a bit straightforward, and considering the lack of much else going on, they should be the two main things that work.

Environment artist prominently using CryEngine but have been learning Unreal Engine for a while now and I'm in love.
Good man. I never really touched Cry, but Unreal engine has always been great for both programmers and artists.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Good man. I never really touched Cry, but Unreal engine has always been great for both programmers and artists.
CryEngine was fantastic when CE1 broke onto the scene. But the development has stalled, they've focussed on improving the visuals but haven't fixed the prehistoric tools. Now that UE4 can do real time lighting, there's no real reason to stick with CryEngine. Which is sad because I've been using CryEngine for 7 years.

Redlambs

CryEngine was fantastic when CE1 broke onto the scene. But the development has stalled, they've focussed on improving the visuals but haven't fixed the prehistoric tools. Now that UE4 can do real time lighting, there's no real reason to stick with CryEngine. Which is sad because I've been using CryEngine for 7 years.
:lol: don't knock it! Back in the day we nearly always made our own engines and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be the guy who understood both the programming and art side so had to be the go between. I still have nightmares about maya and 3dsmax plugins :lol:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Who is the better authority on this stuff, RedSky or RedLambs?
In order to answer that we'll turn to the well known saying: RedSky at night shepherds delight, Redlambs in morning Shepherds mourning.....

or something like that

hmm, no Idea. Game looks good though.

Redlambs

In order to answer that we'll turn to the well known saying: RedSky at night shepherds delight, Redlambs in morning Shepherds mourning.....

or something like that

hmm, no Idea. Game looks good though.
I'm warming to it more. My technical gripes still stand, a game about suspense really should have more dynamic lighting and shadowing to really create an atmosphere, but it is alien and it is well layed out.

I do have another issue though, the A.I really isn't up to scratch for a game like this. The enemies are as dumb as any shooter, and the Alien itself really is the same just faster (seems like the negative reviews there were close to the mark). Still it is rewarding avoiding everything, and there is a sense of wanting to progress.

I'd recommend it overall, but maybe not at full price. It's a lot of padding to stretch the game out it seems, and people with little interest in this type of game will find it all too dull. But if you like the Alien film, this is the best game in that universe since the daddy AvP 2 as far as I can see.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'm warming to it more. My technical gripes still stand, a game about suspense really should have more dynamic lighting and shadowing to really create an atmosphere, but it is alien and it is well layed out.

I do have another issue though, the A.I really isn't up to scratch for a game like this. The enemies are as dumb as any shooter, and the Alien itself really is the same just faster (seems like the negative reviews there were close to the mark). Still it is rewarding avoiding everything, and there is a sense of wanting to progress.

I'd recommend it overall, but maybe not at full price. It's a lot of padding to stretch the game out it seems, and people with little interest in this type of game will find it all too dull. But if you like the Alien film, this is the best game in that universe since the daddy AvP 2 as far as I can see.
Yeah I've only watched people playing on Playstation live so far but Im definitely thinking gonna get it sooner rather than bargain bin later, the things that let it down for me were the character models, the voice acting (I don't mind bad acting as long as it's consistent and doesn't seem jarring, there were lip sync issues too, watched a few streams and it seems off in most of them).

But the general feel of the game and the visuals seem to set the tone well even if a little too lazy for your tastes and even watching it I felt the tension. Definitely a step in the right direction for Alien games cos I was afraid another dud and there would be no coming back

Sampy93

Just finished it and loved it! Thought they stayed true to the franchise and the atmosphere was close to perfect IMO. You go from terrified little girl to good old Ellen Ripley 2.0!

When I just encountered the alien for the first time I was so tense for 30 minutes I felt a little sick from all the nerves! :lol:
Id definitely recommend it!

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I have to agree with lambs on the AI, it is just horrendous. I had 4 enemies trying to shoot me through a bulletproof window when they could have just walked out through an open door and killed me.

Other than that I have nothing bad to say about this. It is fantastic.

Redlambs

I dunno, there's something missing to make it really scary for me. I think it's the audio, there just seems little effort in it other than a few random noises. There's no real jumpy moments thanks to that alone and the alien makes all too samey noises every time you encounter it.

If people here haven't, you should really play AvP2 on the PC, that's far scarier and by miles the best Alien game ever made. The multiplayer is ace too.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I dunno, there's something missing to make it really scary for me. I think it's the audio, there just seems little effort in it other than a few random noises. There's no real jumpy moments thanks to that alone and the alien makes all too samey noises every time you encounter it.

If people here haven't, you should really play AvP2 on the PC, that's far scarier and by miles the best Alien game ever made. The multiplayer is ace too.
AvP2 wasn't scary though... it's an excellent game and I agree it's the best in the (Alien/Predator) universe - that I've played. But it's a different kind of game imo...
After reading what you've posted I'm definitely waiting for a VR mod before I play this, because they nailed it in the demo that I played and if this isn't anywhere as scary and immersive as that then I don't want to play it... I'll wait.

Redlambs

AvP2 wasn't scary though... it's an excellent game and I agree it's the best in the (Alien/Predator) universe - that I've played. But it's a different kind of game imo...
After reading what you've posted I'm definitely waiting for a VR mod before I play this, because they nailed it in the demo that I played and if this isn't anywhere as scary and immersive as that then I don't want to play it... I'll wait.
It's got better atmosphere and does Alien better than Isolation though, that's the point.

The scares in Isolation are just from cheap (and poor) attempts at tension build up. AvP2 does it by real use of the setting, sound and by making the aliens a beatable but very real threat not some invincible thing that just runs ridiculously fast. Also in isolation the humans are just stupid and the androids, which should be way scarier than the alien, just look like mannequins made of plasticine.

afrocentricity

Oh fair enough I get you now, still... sounds like you barely enjoyed it?

evil_geko

This is a masterpiece, finally an Alien game done right! The only thing worth complaining about is wonky human AI but that would be it. People saying this game is too long? For me it was too short. Hoping for a lengthy franchise here.

AvP2 does it by real use of the setting, sound and by making the aliens a beatable but very real threat not some invincible thing that just runs ridiculously fast.
Disagree, as a big Alien fan, never quite liked AvP franchise, this game gets Alien right, it should be almost invincible and moving that fast. Maybe the second one will have a little bit more action, as this one was done to be more like the original Alien, and they have done some brilliant work.

Wouldn't mind some middle ground between the two though in possible sequel, having weapons that can kill an Alien but also giving you scarce ammount of ammo so you can also be stealthy when you run out.

Code-CX

Just finished it and loved it! Thought they stayed true to the franchise and the atmosphere was close to perfect IMO. You go from terrified little girl to good old Ellen Ripley 2.0!

When I just encountered the alien for the first time I was so tense for 30 minutes I felt a little sick from all the nerves! :lol:
Id definitely recommend it!
I'm not sure when but at some point during the game my reaction went from "holy shit alien" to "feck you alien let me finish what I'm doing".

Redlambs

This is a masterpiece, finally an Alien game done right! The only thing worth complaining about is wonky human AI but that would be it. People saying this game is too long? For me it was too short. Hoping for a lengthy franchise here.

Disagree, as a big Alien fan, never quite liked AvP franchise, this game gets Alien right, it should be almost invincible and moving that fast. Maybe the second one will have a little bit more action, as this one was done to be more like the original Alien, and they have done some brilliant work.
The original Avp games (not the turd 2010 one) were much more atmospheric. This one is too shiny and clean I think. I am enjoying it on the pure Alien aspect, it's just the gameplay itself is very weak and been done much better many times.

Wouldn't mind some middle ground between the two though in possible sequel, having weapons that can kill an Alien but also giving you scarce ammount of ammo so you can also be stealthy when you run out.
Maybe, I just think they need to greatly improve the shocking A.I and strengthen the technical side I've been talking about. Especially the audio. They've nailed the exploring and level design though.

Oh fair enough I get you now, still... sounds like you barely enjoyed it?
I'm torn. I'm enjoying the layout and exploring, and it's faithful to Alien which is great. Hopefully the sequel (it should get one) expands on the things I've talked about.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
and the androids, which should be way scarier than the alien, just look like mannequins made of plasticine.
I think that was as conscious design choice:

players must set foot on the almost derelict space station Sevastapol, a once-hopeful landmark and the creation of Weyland-Yutani wannabe Seegson.
The Working Joes. These synthetic humanoids are Seegson's answer to Ash or Bishop, but they embody the "cheap ripoff" quality of the Seegson corporation, with rubber masks pulled over humanoid frameworks, and dead glowing eyes with no attempt to evoke humanity.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...itorials/reviews/12346-Alien-Isolation-Review

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
okay this game is far too stressful for me.
How can you be stressful with something so awesomely beautiful ?

Take your chances, get devoured few times. This side of a game is also fun.

...or play any Aliens vs Predator and choose the Xenomorph.

b82REZ

This is currently £9.99 for PC download at GAME. It's put me off the fact it's dropped in price so much in a month I was going to grab it in Xmas sales.

Kaos

This is currently £9.99 for PC download at GAME. It's put me off the fact it's dropped in price so much in a month I was going to grab it in Xmas sales.
That's pretty shocking considering its been out a month or so.

To be fair, its probably the best horror game released this year.

Redlambs

I like it. Even if the shadowing is shit and the game type been done so much better before.

Then again I'm a sucker for Alien and even more so for stealth. Though the latter wasn't that strong in key areas, hiding under a desk for half an hour whilst shitting it from the Alien was still fun :lol:

b82REZ

I was tempted at that price but too many doubts, mainly why has a game that's been out a month now in the bargain bucket, paired with th mixed reviews.

I can't see it going for less than that in the Steam sales though and I am intrigued by the game, mainly because I like the films. I might buy it tomorrow if I get further in Shadow of Mordor tonight because I think I'm close to the end of that.

Redlambs

Glowing praise from lambs :drool:

I'm liking what I've seen so far too...
The character models are laughably shit, the lighting is just cheap use of bloom, the immersion is broken because there are no real dynamic shadows (seriously, nothing else is going on so how the feck did they miss such an important aspect?), the stealth and enemy a.i is more trial and error than well designed levels, and it does not a single thing better or different than has been done before.

Better?

:lol:

afrocentricity

But you still liked it, so you're alright lambs... fist bump!

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I was tempted at that price but too many doubts, mainly why has a game that's been out a month now in the bargain bucket, paired with th mixed reviews.

I can't see it going for less than that in the Steam sales though and I am intrigued by the game, mainly because I like the films. I might buy it tomorrow if I get further in Shadow of Mordor tonight because I think I'm close to the end of that.
Just get it mate, you won't be disappointed. It's a great game.

Redlambs

But you still liked it, so you're alright lambs... fist bump!
It's my kind of game. And it's Alien!

Everything I've seen and heard has left me really underwhelmed. But £9.99 for a month old game is tempting.
It's well worth a tenner. Again though ONLY if you like crawling around and generally doing nothing but hiding. It's that kind of game, there's very little else. Exploring the ship is generally great though, for all it's faults.

But it is the second best Alien game, so there's that for it :)

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
Everything I've seen and heard has left me really underwhelmed. But £9.99 for a month old game is tempting.
I think they achieved exactly what they set out to. The game is a triumph. Now, it may be to your taste or not... I think it's fantastic even though I find it too scary to play.

The technical issues Redlambs has highlighted don't detract from the experience in my opinion. He's right that AVP is superior but then they are totally different anyway.

Redlambs

I think they achieved exactly what they set out to. The game is a triumph. Now, it may be to your taste or not... I think it's fantastic even though I find it too scary to play.

The technical issues Redlambs has highlighted don't detract from the experience in my opinion. He's right that AVP is superior but then they are totally different anyway.
For me immersion is the key with these type of games. If your enemies, and yourself for that matter, don't even cast shadows, and the lighting is pretty static, then that's just not right considering nearly every other game in all genres do it.

I'm just bemused at why they missed such a thing.

But overall, I do like it. And it's second only the AvP2 in the Alien universe for me, and easily worth a tenner.

afrocentricity

Anyone played this on Oculus yet? @Hectic?
Yes and it's what sold me on the whole VR thing. The experience is ten times better (no exaggeration), I felt like I was actually there...

I said I was going to hold off getting this game until I had the chance to play it in full VR, but I couldn't wait...

Bojan11

This game is scary and I’ve hardly scratched the surface :nervous:
I told you to buy Vanquish.

You fool. How many times are you going to let me down in one day? That’s three now. It cannot carry on like this.