Alien: Isolation

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gamespots reviews are shite nowadays, it's like they are trying to get noticed for being... what's the word? Let's just say ultra-critical for now, haven't actually read their review yet.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
So on the whole the reviews for this seem very positive, however Polygon and IGN are stinking up the place with low scores, IGN have given it a 5.9 out of ten and have said one of the big negative points is, and I shit you not, "Unpredictable Alien AI" WTF? a big problem with alien games in the past is that the Aliens in them are just cannon fodder. Jim Sterling in escapist magazine however says the unpredictability turns Alien Isolation into one of the most effective horror games he's ever played

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...itorials/reviews/12346-Alien-Isolation-Review

I think it's refreshing that here's a game that there isn't a great deal of hand holding going on and is actualy quite difficult

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
How is unpredictable AI a negative? That's a positive thing! Just goes to show how awful reviewers can be nowadays.
It really is disgusting that the reviewer actually gets paid to come out with shit like that.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Hmm.. haven't read the review but in general I like Ryan McCaffrey. Will give it a read later.

Member 39557

The IGN reviews main gripe with the game was that the story essentially finishes when there's quite a few hours of the game left. The tone then shifts and the game becomes repetitive and some stupid cheap deaths occur (although he did play on hard)

I agree that unpredictable AI is definitely a positive.

Sweet Square

So on the whole the reviews for this seem very positive, however Polygon and IGN are stinking up the place with low scores, IGN have given it a 5.9 out of ten and have said one of the big negative points is, and I shit you not, "Unpredictable Alien AI" WTF? a big problem with alien games in the past is that the Aliens in them are just cannon fodder. Jim Sterling in escapist magazine however says the unpredictability turns Alien Isolation into one of the most effective horror games he's ever played

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12346-Alien-Isolation-Review

I think it's refreshing that here's a game that there isn't a great deal of hand holding going on and is actualy quite difficult
Great Review.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Played a bit at the weekend, it was fecking hard and I died about five times (in ten minutes). Gonna be a bit of a love/hate game by the looks of it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Promising reviewa so far, with Shadow of Mordor already out and DriveClub coming in a week I might have to decide to buy only 2 of them 3, DC is a cert as I have no racing game but it's a difficult choice between the other two.

Alock1

I'd much prefer devisive reviews where some are great and some are poor than 7s across the board. There's more risk to it yeah, as perhaps I'll hate it. But a greater chance I'll love it aswel.

Seen some people point out that Zombi U got fairly divisive reviews and poor scores aswel which is an absolutely awesome game for those who haven't played it. Perhaps it's the genre.

Alock1

The Nostromo edition (includes bonus content) is on Indian/Hong Kong store on Xbox One for £27. So tempted.

Bebe

Gamespots reviews are shite nowadays, it's like they are trying to get noticed for being... what's the word? Let's just say ultra-critical for now, haven't actually read their review yet.
Contrarian?
They should give it out for free to those who bought Rome 2. feck CA.
Seconded. Ugh, the mere thought of it gets me annoyed.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
When's this coming out? With this one and Shadow of Mordor I can kiss my non-existent social life goodbye.

Castia

Hmm really mixed reviews, a few too many 6 scores for me though I'll pass.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'd much prefer devisive reviews where some are great and some are poor than 7s across the board. There's more risk to it yeah, as perhaps I'll hate it. But a greater chance I'll love it aswel.

Seen some people point out that Zombi U got fairly divisive reviews and poor scores aswel which is an absolutely awesome game for those who haven't played it. Perhaps it's the genre.
I reckon different scores between sources come from the fact that it isn't really your typical survival horror experience. You don't get to shoot herds of zombies and from what I have gathered there is little action. It has scored 79 on metacritic so far with many 85 to 90 scores across the board.

Last edited:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Was watching someone playing this last night on PS Live and I think i'll definitley get it now, probably not right away with the amount of games coming out these next two months but if its at a decent price by christmas i'll definitley take the plunge. The atmosphere and look of the game is just so spot on and the graphics look great. The dialogue and NPC's voice acting/animations seem pretty bad but that's something I can live with, sometimes I actually even get some sort of humourous enjoyment out of the shit voice over work in some games as long as its consistent (eg: a crap voice actor in The Last of Us or Uncharted etc where the standard is high would be jarring) & the game itself is good to play.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
If it's on the same level of scariness and playability as Dead Space I'll get it. But this franchise is notoriously all fur coat and no knickers, so I'll probably wait for a lot of reviews from actual players rather than the magazine/website ones.

Alock1

You get it from HK store or something Twigg?

izzydiggler

Is it scary? I only played like 10 minutes of it yesterday, will play some more tomorrow.
I started the DLC first to see what it was like and puts you straight in with the core Alien 'hide and seek' and it was unbearably tense...didn't know what I was doing really but I was terrified. I'm a veteran of the old Resident Evils, Dead Space, System shock etc and it was almost instantly as scary as the worst part of those.

The main game takes ages to get going though, so be prepared for a slow build up but it'll be worth the wait if you want a cure for constipation.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I started the DLC first to see what it was like and puts you straight in with the core Alien 'hide and seek' and it was unbearably tense...didn't know what I was doing really but I was terrified. I'm a veteran of the old Resident Evils, Dead Space, System shock etc and it was almost instantly as scary as the worst part of those.

The main game takes ages to get going though, so be prepared for a slow build up but it'll be worth the wait if you want a cure for constipation.
What sort of level of scariness? Amnesia?

izzydiggler

What sort of level of scariness? Amnesia?
I've not really played it long enough to give a proper opinion and perhaps it's the fact it's a well-known creature from one of classic horror films but when it's stalking you and you're too scared to move out of a fear of death, it's just unbearably tense. The lighting and sound are great (has the Jerry Goldsmith score) and there's so much atmosphere...there are jump scares but it's the tension that's worse. I played Outlast recently and that was scary but it's essentially triggering a jump scare when you reach a certain point - here the Alien has an AI that means it's movement isn't scripted. It can go up into the air ducts to trick you into coming out of hiding and then come back out a couple of seconds later...other times it won't.

For the 2nd DLC you play as Ripley and as it starts you hear Lambert/Parker killed and then it's brown trousers time. I hid in a locker and the alien went past and I never wanted to the leave the locker...as soon as I did, the noise attracted it and I pegged it as it was chasing me before impaling me after about a second.

The movement of the character isn't great though (and I hear the gunplay is terrible) and there's not much depth to the Gameplay, so it's really all about the atmosphere, nostalgia etc. As a huge fan of the first 2 films though, I'm loving it.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
What difficultly are most people on here playing this on? I'm so frustrated with it, I may stick it on easy just to finish it.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I spent 20 mins of my life hiding from an alien in a locker today. It was not fun on any level. This is not a good game.

Eriku

I spent 20 mins of my life hiding from an alien in a locker today. It was not fun on any level. This is not a good game.
:lol:

Unless you're in the demographic that likes being scared. It might not be for you, chum.

Looks pretty cool, but I'm too easily scared myself, think I'll give it a miss.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
You can not learn the Alien AI attack patterns and in a way I appreciate what they were going for with it, but ultimately I think it's flawed. Luck plays a huge part in getting through an area. If the Alien spawns close to you then it's a 20 min game of cat and mouse, if he doesn't spawn, then you can just walk through to the next save point no problem.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
They should give it out for free to those who bought Rome 2. feck CA.
Definitely, I'm definitely not playing this game (mainly due to Rome 2's disaster hehe), but I saw a let's play and the graphics look awful. I'm not a graphics nut, but it looks barely PS3, in the days of motion capture the animations are pretty poor.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I think I'm gonna end up getting this before christmas (Assassins Creed Unity has now been bumped off the 'day one' list) it just looks so good watching people playing on Playstation Live, have managed to not spoil the story line at all for myself given the amount ive watche dpeople play this.