Alisson Becker | Budding Target Man

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Either way, I think only Liverpool supporters, and Alisson(!), thinks of him as one of the best in the world. The only reason we are having this discussion is that he put himself there, and you guys followed up. He has a long way to go to prove that he is ahead of DDG.
Alisson is having that conversation because in Italy he's seen as one of the best, if not the best.

For me, I prefer to wait to make such calls until he develops a larger body of work in a red shirt. But I've seen enough to say he's a top keeper either way.

Rossa

Alisson is having that conversation because in Italy he's seen as one of the best, if not the best.

For me, I prefer to wait to make such calls until he develops a larger body of work in a red shirt. But I've seen enough to say he's a top keeper either way.
If you read that article I posted to you, you will see that Karius was regarded as one of the best in the Bundesliga.

I think he's a good goalie, but needs to prove more in the PL to have the right to brag about being top three in the world. I think top 10 might be a better discussion, but even there you have to put him ahead of some pretty good goalies. Courtois, Lloris, Buffon, Oblak, DDG, Neuer, Handanovic, Eder, Kepa, Leno/Cech etc. Simply put, he needs to prove more for Liverpool to be ranked top three.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
His career in Italy was one season as first choice. A big gamble to pay so much for him.

So far he has been average.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
If you read that article I posted to you, you will see that Karius was regarded as one of the best in the Bundesliga.
In the world, not just the league where he was easily no 1.

No one has ever seriously talked about Karius as more than a promising keeper who had a very good season in the bundesliga.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Tell Roma fans his shot stopping is average, he consistently bailed them out last season in situations he had no right to. He was outstanding by every metric across Europe. @giorno can probably attest to this.
The difference here at Liverpool is he’s never going to ever have as much to do as he would at Roma so the opportunities to make world class saves are very rare. His ability to sweep and maintain concentration over 90 minutes are what’s going to be challenged here.
I saw a saves highlight video on YouTube when we was at Roma and I thought his saving ability was abit inconsistent.

With regards to Karius, I think it's a situation of him not being able to handle the pressure of playing at a bigger club. He has the talent but has some ego problems, it's common for many outfield players that they are able to perform at lower clubs but can't play the same at a bigger club.

Rossa

In the world, not just the league where he was easily no 1.

No one has ever seriously talked about Karius as more than a promising keeper who had a very good season in the bundesliga.
Easily? You mean easily the best in Italy the same year that Buffon was voted best goalie in the world and in FIFA's world XI? You do have a rather unique concept of things at times.

Trizy

Let's not pretend he's shite average 3 months. Was he worth the money? hell no. But he improves them so they have more value in his ability than your normal club.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Perhaps shouldn't have included Paulo Gazzaniga given he's only played 180mins and the rest have played more but I checked the stats of all keepers in the PL this season. Top 10s below. I wouldn't call him average based on the below. He was in the top 10 of these 3 categories last season when I compiled all keeper stats from the top 5 European leagues too. Been to lazy to include the other 4 this time round given we're not even half way through the season.

Long Passing Stats:
Rank - Player - Amount - Percent Completed

1. Kepa Arrizabalaga - 65 - 56.5%
  2. Fabri - 16 - 51.6%
  3. Kasper Schmeichel - 94 - 49.5%
  4. Jonas Lössl - 87 - 49.4%
  5. Bernd Leno - 17 - 48.6%
  6. Alisson - 58 - 48.3%
  7. Marcus Bettinelli - 66 - 44.9%
  8. Hugo Lloris - 52 - 43.7%
  9. Ben Hamer - 30 - 43.5%
  10. Asmir Begovic - 70 - 42.7%

Goals Conceded:
Rank - Player - Amount Conceded - Goals C Every x Mins

1. Ederson - 4 - 247.5 mins
  2. Alisson - 5 - 198.0 mins
  3. Paulo Gazzaniga - 1 - 180.0 mins
  4. Hugo Lloris - 5 - 126.0 mins
  5. Kepa Arrizabalaga - 8 - 123.8 mins
  6. Rui Patrício - 12 - 82.5 mins
  7. Ben Foster - 13 - 76.2 mins
  8. Bernd Leno - 5 - 72.0 mins
  9. Asmir Begovic - 14 - 70.7 mins
  10. Martin Dubravka - 14 - 70.7 mins

Shots Faced:
Rank - Player - Shots Faced - Shots Let In Percentage

1. Paulo Gazzaniga - 9 - 11.1%
  2. Hugo Lloris - 31 - 16.1%
  3. Ederson - 23 - 17.4%
  4. Alisson - 27 - 18.5%
  5. Fabri - 21 - 23.8%
  6. Petr Cech - 37 - 24.3%
  7. Rui Patrício - 47 - 25.5%
  8. Kepa Arrizabalaga - 30 - 26.7%
  9. Mat Ryan - 59 - 27.1%
  10. Lukasz Fabianski - 60 - 28.3%

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Alisson was incredible last season for Roma, but then again Roma's goalkeepers coach is a wizard. He could turn Mignolet into a competent goalkeeper, probably. He did it with Doni...

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Easily? You mean easily the best in Italy the same year that Buffon was voted best goalie in the world and in FIFA's world XI? You do have a rather unique concept of things at times.
FIFA World XI is a joke and a popularity contest, I think that was universally accepted by now.

Rossa

FIFA World XI is a joke and a popularity contest, I think that was universally accepted by now.
So we should take your word of expertise instead? Buffon was pretty darn decent that period, and DDG deserved his place the year before. There may be a certain element of popularity in there, but do you think it would be any different if football supporters were to give their World XI? Do you think Barcelona supporters and Real Madrid supporters would vote the same, or United and Liverpool? After all, football is about more than mere numbers. I think Ederson, for instance, is the perfect fit for City, but he would be a much worse pick for United than DDG is.

According to the site below, Alisson is 5th, DDG 2nd and Oblak 1st.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-10-best-goalkeepers-world?page=0,2

According to this, DDG is 1st, Ter Stegen 2nd, Oblak 3rd and Alisson 4th.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/top-5-goalkeepers-in-the-world-right-now-2018/5

Alisson is probably ranked among the top 5, worst case scenario top ten. DDG is definitely top three and argued by many as the best.

gaucho_10

While that is nonsense, Ter Stegen is still better than Neuer and is with De Gea as the best keeper in the world. As for him not starting for Germany, I think you'l find a lot of Germany fans saying he should be the No.1 now.

De Gea and Ter Stegen are a level above the rest, I feel.
I'd have Oblak before any other keeper.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I'd have Oblak before any other keeper.
I think Oblak benefits from the league and the kind of team he plays in. His shot stopping is as good as it gets, but he is poor on crosses and poor on the ball.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
A year ago our back five was mignolet, taa, Lovren, Matip/Klavan, moreno. Or maybe this was around the time Lovren was dumped out of the team for a calamity run of form.

Seems like another lifetime now.

Trizy

A year ago our back five was mignolet, taa, Lovren, Matip/Klavan, moreno. Or maybe this was around the time Lovren was dumped out of the team for a calamity run of form.

Seems like another lifetime now.
Been saying it for over a year, if Liverpool have ambition to really push on they should go all out for Toby.

Of course I don't want them to sign him and improve as I really want him at United but he's the last piece in the puzzle for Liverpool's defense.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Been saying it for over a year, if Liverpool have ambition to really push on they should go all out for Toby.

Of course I don't want them to sign him and improve as I really want him at United but he's the last piece in the puzzle for Liverpool's defense.
Don't think we need him anymore. Gomez is turning out to be outrageously good.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Told you Alisson was a good'n. Lost count of the amount of clean sheets you guys have now, 6?
No idea, but we were quite lucky to keep one yesterday. His save on Andre Gomes' header was very good but I thought at the moment that it was also piss poor finishing on his part. Alisson also played a very dangerous ball in to our DM if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway he's a huge upgrade on what we've had in the past. Easily a top 5 keeper in the league, something we've missed for a long time.

arthurka

I am not sure about him as a keeper he seems somewhat shaky sometimes but his saving ability is undeniable. Kudos to Klopp and Liverpool for splashing the cash on those position that needed strengthening.

Liverpool are grinding it out at the moment, over that last seasons these are games that Liverpool would have lost.

Coxy

No idea, but we were quite lucky to keep one yesterday. His save on Andre Gomes' header was very good but I thought at the moment that it was also piss poor finishing on his part. Alisson also played a very dangerous ball in to our DM if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway he's a huge upgrade on what we've had in the past. Easily a top 5 keeper in the league, something we've missed for a long time.
Possibly even top 2, if not 3.

And agree with someone abovetalking about Gomez - no need for anyone else. If he stays injury free you've got a great partnership. Your weakness now is your midfield.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Told you Alisson was a good'n. Lost count of the amount of clean sheets you guys have now, 6?
9 in the league so far. Conceded 5 times in 5 different games.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
9 in the league so far. Conceded 5 times in 5 different games.
I just checked. I think he has the highest clean sheets in Europes Top 5 Leagues.

9 clean sheets - Alisson
8 clean sheets - Ederson
7 clean sheets - Samir Handanovic
7 clean sheets - Benjamin Lecomte
6 clean sheets - Jan Oblak

Allison has 26 clean sheets in the last two seasons, only Jan Oblak on 28 has more.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I am not sure about him as a keeper he seems somewhat shaky sometimes but his saving ability is undeniable. Kudos to Klopp and Liverpool for splashing the cash on those position that needed strengthening.
I see him completely opposite. He doesn't make that many outstanding saves so far but he is utterly reliable. Always where he should be, always making the saves you'd want him to make. And completely unfazed by anything. He's a rock at the back.

I do think his anticipation and speed off his line more than makes up for the lack of spectacular saves. Plenty of situations getting snuffed out early that would have been very dangerous with a different keeper.

Mick321

He's annoying, his save per goal % is constantly freakish. Surely can't last.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@B20 he was excellent yesterday - for me that touch against Walcott 1 v 1 was even more impressive as it showed elite level composure where others would recklessly give away a penalty. Bit of a shame though that he seems to have lost that confidence in his passing game - seems to hoof it now in order to not get caught out but I think the balance has gone too far the other way.

Definitely don’t need a Toby - Gomez is class. That entire defensive unit is top class IMO and the best in the league.

Interesting to see Fabinho is also now coming to terms with the league and looks more dynamic - that will make that defensive unit look even more formidable. Your midfield and attack though just looks very laboured at the moment though - City on a different planet this season compared to you guys going forwards.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
@B20 he was excellent yesterday - for me that touch against Walcott 1 v 1 was even more impressive as it showed elite level composure where others would recklessly give away a penalty. Bit of a shame though that he seems to have lost that confidence in his passing game - seems to hoof it now in order to not get caught out but I think the balance has gone too far the other way.
Yeah. I think he has the ability to to actually be a playmaker from deep if Klopp was interested. Doesn't seem to be though.

Bit odd that we are not more into it when you consider that everyone in the back four is comfortable on the ball.

Still think he takes a bit too much time with his 1st touch for comfort but he should be seeing more of the ball really. Which is a weird thing to say about a goalkeeper

Treble

Yeah. I think he has the ability to to actually be a playmaker from deep if Klopp was interested. Doesn't seem to be though.

Bit odd that we are not more into it when you consider that everyone in the back four is comfortable on the ball.

Still think he takes a bit too much time with his 1st touch for comfort but he should be seeing more of the ball really. Which is a weird thing to say about a goalkeeper
He's an excellent keeper and might be better than Ederson but regarding long passes he's nowhere near Ederson's level. Which is no shame as Ederson is ridiculous.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
@B20 Apart from big games he won’t have as much opportunity to showcase his shot stopping just because we as a team are good at preventing chances. Some of his shot stopping for Roma was extraordinary and he’s had a couple of big ones here too but they’re likely to be more sparse as they should be. He’s a very adaptable keeper.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Set up the counter for the third brilliantly and his distribution is one of his strongest assets.

It’s been ages since we’ve had a mostly trustworthy keeper.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
His immense confidence must feel nice for Liverpool's defence. Knowing you've got a top goalie behind you.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
Saved us points multiple times already this season. Got the ball out of the top corner today, and set up the third with a bit risky maneuver. Think we've got ourselves a good deal, especially looking at how a more expensive Kepa's doing so far.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Mignolet/Karius would've made sure Burnley's chance at the end would make it 2-2. They wouldn't retrieve the ball back and distribute it like he did for our third, they would've probably dithered around nervously inviting more pressure in the box.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What happens when you pay for the best.
Pretty much.

Sure, he cost a lot .. but now they have a top class, reliable keeper for the foreseeable future. They could have gone for someone half the price, but would have been running the risk of picking up another Mignolet or Karius. Alisson was their best shot at getting in proven quality.