All Ronaldo fanboys

Alex

Ronaldo and Rooney are the best players since i joined reijn down..

Bearded but no genius

In the amusing irony stakes, the google ad for this page is one for an athlete's foot cure.

Maybe Ronaldo isn't a virus, but a particularly nasty fungal infection that can spread to the groin area if you're not careful?

fatboy

No player in the history of football has been asked questions like "Are you happy here", "are you going to stay at this club next season", "would you like to play for Madrid some day", more frequently than Ronaldo has.

And every time he was asked, if he kept quiet, he was being coy or sly. If he said something less than absolutely positive, his words will be twisted and misquoted to sound as though he wanted to leave. So after a while, he learnt to say whatever people wanted to hear.

I think it was clear that he was always going to leave some day, it was a matter of when. His background, his early influences always pointed him towards to the continent, to Madrid in particular. It's a matter of whether people could accept it. Some can, some can't. Those who can will find it a lot easier to move on peacefully, while those who can't now have the perfect excuse to stick it to him even more.

One thing is true about him - with Ronaldo, it's always polemic. He will no longer have my support, now that he no longer plays for us. But what a character ... and a decent footballer too.

Feedingseagulls

There are also some who have been looking for an excuse to attack Ronaldo since 2006 and the infamous winking incident.

I had uncountable arguments with Caf denizens calling Ronaldo a cnut over and over and over again and demanding he be sold because he was a traitor and a cnut and a bastard greasy deago wop spic.

They shad to shut up after what he did for us on the pitch after that. Then his tittishness regarding wanting out gave them a righteous cause to latch onto when in reality they had been acting hysterical and insane about him since 2006.

2006 - half a career, 91 goals, 3 Premiership titles (18-18), a European Cup (and another final where he was the only one who seemed bothered), a League Cup, and a World Club Cup ago.

It is amazing when you think about it. What would the last three years have been like if those Little Ingurlanders have gotten their way in 2006?

And how many of the loudest and nastiest voices who refuse to acknowledge any of Ronaldo's good for the club have been waiting for this opportunity since then?
Brad has a selective memory about the Ronaldo-dislike that existed prior to summer 2008.. He wants to say that all the reaction was justified - not just by the media/fan mutual conflagration version of events, but also just by what Ronaldo definitely did/said.

He doesn't want to admit that certain prejudices (for example about aspects of Ronaldo's character) just latched onto a series of events and remarks and ensured the worst possible versions appearing in those people's thoughts. He also doesn't want to admit just how much of the negative reaction was just because Ronaldo had jilted the person concerned.

Funnily, Brad actually admitted to the existence of those negative views about Ronaldo that later blossomed into the OTT reactions - though he was trying to make a different point. So (emphasis mine):
Plenty of us might not have been too impressed with some of the things he got up to on the pitch i.e his diving and cheating, but folk were not anti him. I can't think of a player in England idolised in such a constant vocal manner as that since Cantona. So this idea that folk were against him and looking for reasons to turn on him is bollocks. If anything we had reasons previous and ignored them
All those repressed negatives just came gushing out when the opportunity came around. (Previously it was just sniping about his 'play-acting' or him being a 'primadonna' - apparently these aren't negative responses according to Brad, but perhaps they are part of us idolising Ronaldo as far as he's concerned.)

Of course, some both had those negative impulses and were also openly contra-Ronaldo prior to 2008 as you yourself remember.

B Cantona

Desperate
Brad has a selective memory about the Ronaldo-dislike that existed prior to summer 2008.. He wants to say that all the reaction was justified - not just by the media/fan mutual conflagration version of events, but also just by what Ronaldo definitely did/said.

He doesn't want to admit that certain prejudices (for example about aspects of Ronaldo's character) just latched onto a series of events and remarks and ensured the worst possible versions appearing in those people's thoughts. He also doesn't want to admit just how much of the negative reaction was just because Ronaldo had jilted the person concerned.

Funnily, Brad actually admitted to the existence of those negative views about Ronaldo that later blossomed into the OTT reactions - though he was trying to make a different point. So (emphasis mine):

All those repressed negatives just came gushing out when the opportunity came around. (Previously it was just sniping about his 'play-acting' or him being a 'primadonna' - apparently these aren't negative responses according to Brad, but perhaps they are part of us idolising Ronaldo as far as he's concerned.)

Of course, some both had those negative impulses and were also openly contra-Ronaldo prior to 2008 as you yourself remember.
FS you really can be such a wanker at times :houllier:

"a series of events and remarks"

You keep forgetting that nobody other than you believes your fantasy version of what happened last summer. You keep forgetting that the entire match day crowd was so pissed off at his actions that they went from universal belting out of Viva Ronaldo, to not singing about him at all

There's always been negative things to say about Ronaldo, much of it fair when regarding some of his conduct on the pitch. The argument was always that his diving, cheating, lack of tracking back, preening etc was all justified because of just how devastating he was for us. We'd debate about it, some not too happy, some not caring, but it didn't stop anyone from contributing to what was a pretty special relationship between player and supporter. Of course you get a picture of someone's character, and use it to judge them by. It's called context FS, a concept I know from your inability to read a simple transcript last summer you just don't understand one bit

You can't knock the way fans treated Ronaldo pre last summer, it was exceptional. His actions of the summer pissed a lot of people off, and killed off to some extent that 'bond' we had with him. I guess in some ways it was a good thing, because it's made his leaving that much easier to digest, but it all left a bad taste

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
Attention those arguing that Ron's cuntishness back in 2006 was all a creature of the demonic British media. Listen to what god himself said in an interview:

"Sometimes you do things because emotions are running high, but Wayne is my good friend," said Ronaldo. "I can't regret it because I think the whole experience made me stronger.

"But looking back it was not the right thing to do and not something I would do any more."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5390896,00.html