All time British/Irish fantasy draft, Final: Skizzo/Pat vs MJJ

Who will win assuming all players are at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
............................ Team Skizzo/Pat................................................................... Team MJJ ............................

Skizzo/Pat's tactics -

We’ve assembled a squad with cast-iron credentials and pedigree at the very highest level. With our newest additions, we boast a stunning 8 European Cup/CL winners in our starting XI, with another two on the bench. 13 of our squad have won a European club trophy, and of the others, John Charles is a multiple-time Scudetto winner and Bobby Moore a World Cup-winning captain.

We retain our lopsided 4-2-3-1 formation, with Charles dropping into defence, Roy Keane replacing Ince, the legendary Denis Law arriving at centre forward, and can now introduce George Best on the left wing to terrorize the defence.

Defence:

We field one of the all-time great British goalkeepers in Neville Southall. In front of him, Moore and Charles form an all-star central defence, the finest in the draft and arguably the best possible in this draft pool. Moore commands the defence with his peerless reading of the game, impeccable timing in the tackle and great distribution and Charles completes this brick wall with his speed, strength , footballing ability and unbeatable aerial prowess.

Midfield:

The great Roy Keane replaces Ince to complete a ferociously competitive and richly talented central midfield alongside Lisbon Lions Auld and Murdoch. George Best provides the skill and wizardry to trouble Sherwood and stretch MJJ’s defence. Best will be slightly more advanced than Beckham. Beckham will do as Beckham did, dropping deeper or infield to make Utd’s 4-4-2 work against elite opposition, and finding Law and Best with arguably the most consistent source of quality crosses in history.

Attack:

The great Denis Law takes over at centre forward. Quite possibly Utd’s greatest ever striker, he brings a fantastic range of qualities to the role. Quick, strong in the air, creative and fiercely committed, he is first and foremost a deadly finisher and prolific goalscorer. He’ll thrive on the service from our midfield. As if MJJ didn’t have enough to worry about, Best is the most prolific winger in this game by a good margin, and Auld averaged a goal every 3 games from central midfield in his second stint at Celtic!

How The Game Will Be Won:

First and foremost, goal threat. Denis Law scored 46 goals in 42 games and George Best 32 goals from the wing in their most prolific seasons. Auld averaged a goal every 3 games from midfield in his second spell at Celtic. As if that wasn’t enough, we’ve got the great John Charles (43 goals in 41 games in 1953/54) to attack set pieces and corners. MJJ has added Dixie Dean to his attacking line up, but he will be hard pressed to win many headers against an equal talent in Charles, therefore losing one of his major advantages he held over defenders at the time he played.

Secondly, we have the superior defence. Moore and Charles is a centre back partnership that could hold its own in an all-time world draft. In the context of a British and Irish draft, its simply unbeatable. We’re at the very least as strong at full back.

Finally, proven partnerships. We retain the Lisbon Lions core that has served us so well. Auld and Murdoch formed probably the greatest center midfield partnership of their time, and played most other teams of that time off the park. They have the familiarity of playing with each other, and an understanding that can be the difference in a close game such as this. Neville and Beckham also have the understanding of playing together after spending years marauding and running the right wing for United. They have the benefit of knowing when each will be making runs, and when to overlap if the opportunity arises. They also offer cover for each other and can both put in a defensive shift when necessary. We now add the formidable Roy Keane to the Neville/Beckham dynamic. We can also boast having 2/3 of the Holy Trinity with Law and Best, and their understanding and individual brilliance can help swing things our way.

Now I know that just because players played together, it doesn't mean they should win, but here we have players who can be considered among the best at their positions on an individual basis, but now we are also able to add the benefit of playing them in tandem with their teammates who they dominated domestically and in Europe with.

An extra note regarding the midfield, and wingers vs fullbacks. In the midfield battle, we have the added benefit of Beckham to tuck in to our midfield and provide extra protection, and also to double up on Giggs as necessary with Neville. The benefit swings in our favour since Giggs will be in a more advanced position, meaning he won't be readily as available to fall into MJJ's midfield. As for fullbacks, little is known about MJJ's pair...which may be a benefit to him in some instances, but ultimately tells us little. All he's provided us is that both of them were great at slide tackles...which against the wizardry of George Best offers nothing. Also Beckham's biggest asset is his ability to provide assists without needing to beat his man, so MJJ's full backs will offer little protection against the wingers we have here.

crappycraperson

Scout
MJJ/Nair's tactics -

Some observations:-

1) Given the level of competition, his fullbacks are a weakness at this stage. Mathews against dunne is going to be a bigger mismatch than any other on the pitch while neville while being very solid is going to be in trouble here. With Best not tracking back a lot, he is going to be often alone against giggs. One of the fastest wingers in the history of the game.
2) While best is a hughe danger, I feel the workrate of giggs combined with the excellence of wilson will go a long way to negate his attacking talents. You cant really keep a talent like best out of the game completely but with those two and stopping the supply to him might just be enough to win me the game.
3) Having two ball playing defenders is a huge plus, with the midfield being crowded as it is and the blistering pace I have on the flanks. I can very easily counter chester's attack with rio/raisbeck perfectly capable of finding my wingers when needed(Note: This isnt my primarily tactic but a facet of the game)
4) No dedicated midfielder to stop Sir Bobby from controlling the game here. My opponent doesnt have a DM sitting in front of his defense, that should open the game up for Sir Bobby who really only needs half a chance to make it count.

Overview

In the centre of defence, I have one of the most complete defenders of any generation, Rio Ferdinand and Alex Raisbeck.On the flanks, I have Ray Wilson and Alf Sherwood.

Wilson was renowned for his vision, passing ability and surging runs down the left flank.He is going to form a deadly partnership with Ryan Giggs and help me tear teams apart. Interestingly Wilson was never booked for a foul till he was 32 and even that was for dissent. Giving one an idea of his pace and positioning.

On his opposite flank is Alf Sherwood or the king of sliding tackles. Sherwood was blessed with pace and positioning sense.Stanley Matthews described Sherwood as the most difficult opponent he ever played against. Here he is partnering that very mathews to hopefully glory.

All of my defenders are known for having excellent positioning and rarely being booked or giving fouls away. Having defenders who are excellent at timing their tactics is a huge plus while initiating quick counters and catching the other side out.

My midfield received some criticism in the last game for being too offensively orientated so let me address that here. Both Robson and Souness were complete midfielders perfectly capable of playing in a midfield two. While Robson was better offensively, the opposite is true for souness so they will complement each other very well(not to say that the other facet of their game was weak at all). To further help them out I have Sir Bobby Charlton in his favoured role here with pace out wide and the greatest goal scorer in the history of the english game Dixie Dean, up front.

On the flanks I have Giggs and Mathews, the wizard of the dribble.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/stoke/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8517000/8517497.stm

Lesser Known Player Profiles
Liverpool had on show the archetypal traditional centre-half, an all-action player capable of covering huge distances during play both in attack and defence, of breaking up moves and starting his own, of inspiring ten others to achieve more than the sum of their collective parts and of carrying the hopes and expectations of the fans on his own broad shoulders.

Alex Raisbeck was for 11 seasons the crown prince of Anfield, club captain, centre-half and object of wonder for fans across the country.

Today the club website suggests he would today ‘undoubtedly be a pin-up’ along the lines of a Fernando Torres (might need updating, that).

While I accept the point being made, it’s a little like when people say if Shakespeare were alive today he’d be writing for Eastenders. They’re reflecting the fact he was a popular dramatist at the time, but ignoring the huge gulf in class between Shakespeare’s words and those of BBC soap opera scripts – a gulf which time does nothing to narrow.

Torres was a key man for Liverpool, and at his best is among the most dangerous players in world football. The club came to depend on his talents too much, and here the contrast with Raisbeck is stark.

While the natural gifts of a willowy striker who at times seemed to move on air were always an unsteady foundation on which to build a long-term challenge for honours, in Raisbeck Liverpool had a rock.

Strong, tall for the time, quick in thought and deed and utterly fearless, Raisbeck most closely resembles Steven Gerrard at his most impressive, with Gerrard in turn carrying echoes of Graeme Souness. The fact he achieved high enough standards to drag otherwise patchy Liverpool sides to two league titles is a testament to his overwhelming influence as a player and a man.

In every facet of his life Alexander Galloway Raisbeck seemed to embody the kind of values fans love to see in players.

From the type of Kopite whose sole tactical exortation to the side is a primal scream of ‘gerrintodem’ to those of us who prefer the clever pass or artful switch of play to the brutal lunge, Raisbeck by all accounts catered for everyone.

The hero of the munich air disaster. Transferred to Manchester United for a world record fee for a goalkeeper. It says it all about the man that 4 months after the disaster he was voted the best goalkeeper at the 1958 World Cup ahead of the legendary Lev Yashin, when helping minnows Northern Ireland reach the quarter finals. Was renowned for his fearless style of goalkeeping.
http://thegoalkeeperco.com/features/harry-gregg-an-inadequate-tribute-to-an-ill-remembered-icon/

He had a knack of sliding in, hooking his leg around the ball, the winger would go arse over tit and Wilson would be up and away on the attack.
Wilson was renowned for his vision, passing ability and surging runs down the left flank. Interestingly wilson was never booked for a foul till he was 32 and even that was for dissent.

Alfred Sherwood was a former miner who threw himself into everything. Especially sliding tackles. So much so, the Cardiff City man was known as the 'king of the sliding tackles'. Sir Stanley Matthews, on the other hand, knew him simply as 'the most difficult opponent I ever played against'.

MJJ

Ray wilson was a world cup winning fullback, I dont think you can say he wasnt well known.

@crappycraperson can you delete the second line from my observations since best isnt playing on the right like I expected.

Annahnomoss

Went for Skizzo here, MJJ has a great teams in terms of racking up scan votes but overall there is no balance in it. He'd be better of with two holding midfielders here, at the very minimum one of them.

Also really question the back line of MJJ here, Raisbeck doesn't fit stylistically nor am I sold on his level being sufficient here and Wilson/Raisbeck/Sherwood aren't capable of holding back the Law/Best axis and the rest of the team.

Skizzo's full backs aren't better but they are covered by Moore and Charles pretty much the draft XI defenders(if one opts to use Charles like that).

MJJ

Went for Skizzo here, MJJ has a great teams in terms of racking up scan votes but overall there is no balance in it. He'd be better of with two holding midfielders here, at the very minimum one of them.

Also really question the back line of MJJ here, Raisbeck doesn't fit stylistically nor am I sold on his level being sufficient here and Wilson/Raisbeck/Sherwood aren't capable of holding back the Law/Best axis and the rest of the team.

Skizzo's full backs aren't better but they are covered by Moore and Charles pretty much the draft XI defenders(if one opts to use Charles like that).
You do know that keane and murdoch are both box to box midfielders as much as souness/robson? Neither team is sporting a pure holding midfielder.

Also, :lol:

MJJ

I think if you compare our midfield and attack, I have a clear edge.

Dean was arguably a better striker than law or around the same level.
Charlton was miles better than auld similarly mathews with beckham.
Souness was better than murdoch while best obviously beats giggs.
Robson and Keane I will put around the same level.

So while pat and skizzo have better central defenders, I have a better midfield and attack so it evens out.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Cheers Annah. Fully agree on Raisbeck - he has by far the most questionable credentials of any player on the pitch.

Annahnomoss

You do know that keane and murdoch are both box to box midfielders as much as souness/robson? Neither team is sporting a pure holding midfielder.

Also, :lol:
Auld and Murdoch already played as a CM pairing in a 4-4-2 together and were defensively sound and he has added Keane in to the mix as well. Can't compare it to your team at all with Beckham playing as a wide midfielder as well here.

MJJ

Auld and Murdoch already played as a CM pairing in a 4-4-2 together and were defensively sound and he has added Keane in to the mix as well. Can't compare it to your team at all with Beckham playing as a wide midfielder as well here.
And Robson/Souness used to play in a midfield three am guessing?

Pat_Mustard

Given the level of competition, his fullbacks are a weakness at this stage. Mathews against dunne is going to be a bigger mismatch than any other on the pitch while neville while being very solid is going to be in trouble here. With Best not tracking back a lot, he is going to be often alone against giggs. One of the fastest wingers in the history of the game.
@MJJ , this is flimsy to say the least. Matthews' defensive workrate is more questionable than Best's, and your full backs are more of a weakness than ours. Sherwood is the least-credentialed of all four full backs by a distance. I've yet to find much in the way of convincing footage of him either. The first video I watched:

Didn't get especially close to stopping Waddell when he set off in a dribble. Managed two good clearances. Stood doing absolutely nothing at the far post as Scotland scored their winner. A mixed bag, overall, and I see absolutely nothing to suggest that Sherwood vs Best is somehow less of a mismatch than the very quick, European Cup winning Dunne vs Matthews

MJJ

@MJJ , this is flimsy to say the least. Matthews' defensive workrate is more questionable than Best's, and your full backs are more of a weakness than ours. Sherwood is the least-credentialed of all four full backs by a distance. I've yet to find much in the way of convincing footage of him either. The first video I watched:

Didn't get especially close to stopping Waddell when he set off in a dribble. Managed two good clearances. Stood doing absolutely nothing at the far post as Scotland scored their winner. A mixed bag, overall, and I see absolutely nothing to suggest that Sherwood vs Best is somehow less of a mismatch than the very quick, European Cup winning Dunne vs Matthews
Given that mathews described sherwood as his toughest opponent, I think he will be better faced to challenge best than dunne on mathews. From what I have read sherwood was very quick and tactictally astute so I wouldnt expect best to have as easy a time as mathews on the other end.

MJJ

To anyone who doubts my midfield can work, just rewatch this match. Thats Bobby Robson alongside Wilkins and Moses dominating a barca side featuring the likes of maradona and schuster. And with all due respect to the latter two, souness and charlton are in a different class.

Annahnomoss

Given that mathews described sherwood as his toughest opponent, I think he will be better faced to challenge best than dunne on mathews. From what I have read sherwood was very quick and tactictally astute so I wouldnt expect best to have as easy a time as mathews on the other end.
;) Sums the defense up very well.

Pat_Mustard

That's a hopeful line of thought to be honest. As far as I can tell Sherwood only played 4 seasons in the top flight of English football. Dunne was a Utd stalwart in one of our greatest ever eras. There's a huge gulf in achievement there. As far as the pace argument, I'd say this carries a fair bit of weight, coming from one of the Caf's most venerable posters (topic was "fastest Utd player you've seen":

Tony Dunne is probably the quickest I've seen...

MJJ

That's a hopeful line of thought to be honest. As far as I can tell Sherwood only played 4 seasons in the top flight of English football. Dunne was a Utd stalwart in one of our greatest ever eras. There's a huge gulf in achievement there. As far as the pace argument, I'd say this carries a fair bit of weight, coming from one of the Caf's most venerable posters (topic was "fastest Utd player you've seen":
Given the fact that he also captained wales and played 43 times for them in an era where caps meant a lot more, I think you can judge him better based on that.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/wales-v-england-2

In case anyone is interested in any videos, here is wales beating england with sherwood captaining a side containing John Charles, Nat Lofthouse and Roger Bryne.

Have a look at the england wingers at well at the same time, finney and mathews. Two all time great yet wales won that match.

I can understand people questioning raisbeck, but sherwood by all accounts is amongst the best fullbacks in this draft.

And this wasnt just a one-off since wales were leading england by a goal in 1956 as well till they a player got injured and sherwood had to go into goal. There is a reason why mathews described his as his toughest opponent.

And with all due respect to best, he wasnt that much better than mathews that sherwood will suddenly start struggling.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

Scout
I prefer Skizzo's winger pair of Beckham + Best over Giggs + Mathews. Infact I know Giggs is an all time United legend but I would select a peak Beckham over Giggs in my side, especially if you already have a winger like Best in your team. I don't think Giggs ever had a peak season like Beckham in 99.

MJJ

Also, makes his all-time wales xi. I hope we can stop this silly debate over the quality of sherwood and whether he could deal with best or not, now. By all accounts he is more than capable of doing just that.

Pat_Mustard

Given the fact that he also captained wales and played 43 times for them in an era where caps meant a lot more, I think you can judge him better based on that.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/wales-v-england-2

In case anyone is interested in any videos, here is wales beating england with sherwood captaining a side containing John Charles, Nat Lofthouse and Roger Bryne.

Have a look at the england wingers at well at the same time, finney and mathews. Two all time great yet wales won that match.

I can understand people questioning raisbeck, but sherwood by all accounts is amongst the best fullbacks in this draft.

And this wasnt just a one-off since wales were leading england by a goal in 1956 as well till they a player got injured and sherwood had to go into goal. There is a reason why mathews described his as his toughest opponent.

And with all due respect to best, he wasnt that much better than mathews that sherwood will suddenly start struggling.
Ultimately, your line of argument was that Matthews vs Dunne is a bigger mismatch than Best vs Sherwood and that seems ridiculously optimistic.

Dunne had 33 caps himself for what its worth, made 530 appearances for Utd (7th most in club history) in one of their most successful periods and performed excellently in a European Cup-winning campaign. Sherwood has evidently had a decent international career and one of the most nondescript club careers of any full back in the draft. You cite Sherwood's pace as an advantage, yet Dunne was clearly exceptionally fast.

MJJ

Ultimately, your line of argument was that Matthews vs Dunne is a bigger mismatch than Best vs Sherwood and that seems ridiculously optimistic.

Dunne had 33 caps himself for what its worth, made 530 appearances for Utd (7th most in club history) in one of their most successful periods and performed excellently in a European Cup-winning campaign. Sherwood has evidently had a decent international career and one of the most nondescript club careers of any full back in the draft. You cite Sherwood's pace as an advantage, yet Dunne was clearly exceptionally fast.
It was and still is. Like I have posted above and in the match, sherwood use to regularly get the better of mathews. And best wasnt that much better than mathews so its a reasonable assumption that sherwood would present a challenge to best.

Is there similar proof for dunne against top quality opposition? If there is I will withdraw my claim.

Pat_Mustard

Also, makes his all-time wales xi. I hope we can stop this silly debate over the quality of sherwood and whether he could deal with best or not, now. By all accounts he is more than capable of doing just that.
Its silly to debate whether Sherwood can deal with Best, but Matthews vs Dunne is the biggest mismatch on the pitch? There is no possible way I'm going to concede that point, as its bordering on crazy.

Annahnomoss

Must agree with Pat there. Can't see how Matthews VS Dunne is any different from Best VS Sherwood. Raisbeck-Ferdinand just doesn't seem like a defense for a final here and every time Best got past Sherwood it would lead to much more dangerous chances than when Matthews gets past Dunne and then faces Charles/Moore who are simply better.

MJJ

Its silly to debate whether Sherwood can deal with Best, but Matthews vs Dunne is the biggest mismatch on the pitch? There is no possible way I'm going to concede that point, as its bordering on crazy.
That line was aimed more at annah than you, as he was questioning the ability of sherwood. Not whether he can deal with best or not. I havent yet found any unreasonable claims from you other than saying wilson is unknown.

Pat_Mustard

It was and still is. Like I have posted above and in the match, sherwood use to regularly get the better of mathews. And best wasnt that much better than mathews so its a reasonable assumption that sherwood would present a challenge to best.

Is there similar proof for dunne against top quality opposition? If there is I will withdraw my claim.

Well there's the first half of the biggest match of his career (the rest to follow if you'd like) and Benfica get absolutely no joy against Dunne. Eusebio breaks into Dunne's channel at one point IIRC and Dunne matches him for pace and cuts out the threat.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Personally I think All Time XI should not be played in drafts any more. The position, player style etc are far too dependant on what we read with just few or no supporting videos. If we want to know about players, let play a pre-60's game and all other games should only be post 60's only at best. (70's and later would be preferable).

MJJ

Well there's the first half of the biggest match of his career (the rest to follow if you'd like) and Benfica get absolutely no joy against Dunne. Eusebio breaks into Dunne's channel at one point IIRC and Dunne matches him for pace and cuts out the threat.
Correct me if I am wrong but antonio simoes was a left winger, while jose torres and eusebio were naturally centre forwards. So there was no right winger taking dunne on in that match, much less of the class of mathews.

Fair enough, he was quick. I accepted that point when you showed the post of Mr.Mujac.

MJJ

I don't see much difference in both teams. Like Pat's midfield duo slightly better, but Beckham without Charles takes away some thing from Pat's attack too and MJJ wings are a shade better. Let me think some more.
Do watch the robson against barca match if you need any help making up your mind :p

Pat_Mustard

That line was aimed more at annah than you, as he was questioning the ability of sherwood. Not whether he can deal with best or not. I havent yet found any unreasonable claims from you other than saying wilson is unknown.
That may have been my manager that said that :lol:. Wilson had an accomplished career, and by all accounts was a quick and tidy full back. I have no reason to believe that Neville was inferior though.

Annahnomoss

"1) Given the level of competition, his fullbacks are a weakness at this stage. Mathews against dunne is going to be a bigger mismatch than any other on the pitch while neville while being very solid is going to be in trouble here. With Best not tracking back a lot, he is going to be often alone against giggs. One of the fastest wingers in the history of the game.".
I was arguing against you saying his full backs are a weakness at this stage, when they are as good as yours and they have Moore/Charles centrally where you have one of the most arguable players in the entire draft in Raisbeck.

There is no doubt that Moore/Charles will do a better job supporting the full backs than Raisbeck, who never in his life played with full backs and supported them.

MJJ

Shankley said:
Left back is Tony Dunne. Even slower than Brennan. He goes on an overlap at twenty past three and doesn't come back until a quarter to four.
Now I understand that he was downgrading the united team here and was exaggerating but that doesnt take away from the fact that he picked on dunne being slow on the turn. So we can conclude that was a weakness(But not how big a weakness) from that quote.

MJJ

That may have been my manager that said that :lol:. Wilson had an accomplished career, and by all accounts was a quick and tidy full back. I have no reason to believe that Neville was inferior though.
Agree to disagree then, wilson it can be argued was one of the best english left backs of all time(for my money, cant see him being better than ashley cole) although the pool is so shallow thats not saying a lot while I dont think anyone can make a similar case for neville.

Pat_Mustard

Agree to disagree then, wilson it can be argued was one of the best english left backs of all time(for my money, cant see him being better than ashley cole) although the pool is so shallow thats not saying a lot while I dont think anyone can make a similar case for neville.
Neville is generally rated alongside Armfield as the main contender for right back in an all-time England XI.

MJJ

I was arguing against you saying his full backs are a weakness at this stage, when they are as good as yours and they have Moore/Charles centrally where you have one of the most arguable players in the entire draft in Raisbeck.

There is no doubt that Moore/Charles will do a better job supporting the full backs than Raisbeck, who never in his life played with full backs and supported them.
I shouldnt really respond given your obvious bias but will give it a go.

Why is raisbeck one of the most arguable player in the entire draft? All the liverpool websites/historians out there rate him very highly and mention him as one of the all time greats so I have no reason to believe he isnt capable of doing the job assigned to him here alongside ferdinand.

Not to mention that my attack being better than his balances my defense being weaker.

Mani

Sorry to interrupt,

But that doesn't mean his footballing abilities to be questioned?

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/past-players/alex-raisbeck

"Despite standing at just 5ft 10ins, the Stirlingshire lad was a commanding centre-half whose timing and athleticism enabled him to reach the ball before taller opponents."