g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

All time British/Irish fantasy draft, Final: Skizzo/Pat vs MJJ

Who will win assuming all players are at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Congrats @MJJ

Good game, @Pat_Mustard @Skizzo . I may be harsh, but a 'fancier' name than Auld might have tipped the scales. I can understand the reasons on proven combos, but then draft games votes rarely makes sense. Hard luck.

PS: I still kick myself for not starting with Scholes :(
Cheers Edgar! We were a bit worried that you'd go for this:

with the younger version of Scholes offering you a greater goal threat, and Best playing in a free-ish, Boniek type of role. The Brady arrow I added by mistake!

Auld was an excellent player but, granted, we would have loved to have upgraded him with Charlton if MJJ and Mani had done the decent thing and got eliminated :lol:. You didn't help our cause by nominating fecking Souness when you had no money to sign him!

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Congratulations to @MJJ / @manikandan nair . Certainly pulled together a hell of an imposing midfield and attack. Unlucky to @Skizzo and @Pat_Mustard who argued their case well throughout the tournament and stuck admirably to successful partnerships. Well done to @crappycraperson for organising the draft which worked very well on the whole.

Skizzo

Congratulations to @MJJ / @manikandan nair . Certainly pulled together a hell of an imposing midfield and attack. Unlucky to @Skizzo and @Pat_Mustard who argued their case well throughout the tournament and stuck admirably to successful partnerships. Well done to @crappycraperson for organising the draft which worked very well on the whole.
Cheers Gio. You're a bastard to come up against because you're a damn gentleman in the threads, so it's hard to try and say anything bad about your lads. Still not too sure how we squeaked by you.

MJJ

You too Mani, same to @MJJ No shame in losing to that team!

Thanks @Pat_Mustard for covering me so often! :lol:

This was one of the more fun drafts I've had with the different player pool to narrow down from.

When's the next one? :D
Congrats @MJJ

Good game, @Pat_Mustard @Skizzo . I may be harsh, but a 'fancier' name than Auld might have tipped the scales. I can understand the reasons on proven combos, but then draft games votes rarely makes sense. Hard luck.

PS: I still kick myself for not starting with Scholes :(

Thanks guys, was a good draft :D
Cheers Edgar! We were a bit worried that you'd go for this:

with the younger version of Scholes offering you a greater goal threat, and Best playing in a free-ish, Boniek type of role. The Brady arrow I added by mistake!

Auld was an excellent player but, granted, we would have loved to have upgraded him with Charlton if MJJ and Mani had done the decent thing and got eliminated :lol:. You didn't help our cause by nominating fecking Souness when you had no money to sign him!

:lol: That was so good, I was confused between hansen and souness. Then found out I couldnt nominate anyone else but luckily EAP had already nominated souness for us so the choice was removed.

I would like to specifically thank @Joga Bonito and @antohan for their advice which proved invaluable during the course of this draft. And the constant support of @Annahnomoss without whom this wouldnt be possible.

Pat_Mustard

Thanks mate. Its well overdue that I actually participated in one of these drafts and I really enjoyed it. As my gaffer Skizzo said, I was surprised we made it past you. You're a master at structuring your teams and arguing your case effectively, and you're fair too. All of which made me feel slightly guilty for slagging off James and Morton for not having adequate youtube videos :lol:.

Pat_Mustard

Thanks guys, was a good draft :D

:lol: That was so good, I was confused between hansen and souness. Then found out I couldnt nominate anyone else but luckily EAP had already nominated souness for us so the choice was removed.

I would like to specifically thank @Joga Bonito and @antohan for their advice which proved invaluable during the course of this draft. And the constant support of @Annahnomoss without whom this wouldnt be possible.
:lol: I couldn't believe it when I realised that he'd effectively kept Souness in the game. I think it might have made a difference if you had, say, Bremner instead of Souness. Bremner was brilliant of course, but lacks the name value and undisputed top quality of the latter. As it was, Souness/Robson/Charlton was just a brutal midfield to play against.

MJJ

:lol: I couldn't believe it when I realised that he'd effectively kept Souness in the game. I think it might have made a difference if you had, say, Bremner instead of Souness. Bremner was brilliant of course, but lacks the name value and undisputed top quality of the latter. As it was, Souness/Robson/Charlton was just a brutal midfield to play against.
I need to buy him a drink for that :lol: . I did nominate best and law for you guys so both of you sides owed me one :p

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@Skizzo @Pat_Mustard @MJJ

Sorry I missed this, got too caught up in WW! Well done guys.

Good work @crappycraperson and various stand in gamme-starting mods. I particularly liked how final teams had players who rarely even feature in drafts. Limiting recruitment was a good call in that sense.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Initially went for @MJJ because I preferred his system/ style everything really but then the Raisbeck issue put doubts in my mind. I also felt Neville could hold his own against Giggs because he's a superior Lee Dixon and knows giggs inside out. I also thought Dean would be kept quiet by that CB pairing and Law could nick a goal v that defence.

Halfway through I was wanting to go back but once you've transferred your vote once, you tend to stick to it.

antohan

who would you have voted for anto btw and why?

you too @Joga Bonito
Remix.

Sorry, Pat/Skizzo. Your midfield is insanely good, but his will hold its own. Conversely, I don't think Dean would have any joy against Moore-Charles while your defence faces Law and reminds me of this:

MJJ

all fair points @Raees and @antohan. as a neutral I probably would have voted for pizzo as well. raisbeck was a huge hole in our side due to the nationality problems.

that's why I kept comparing our strikers or wingers. anything but talk of raisbeck :lol:

also one thing I never understood. if mathews was a right winger how did he face Sherwood so many times?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Remix.

Sorry, Pat/Skizzo. Your midfield is insanely good, but his will hold its own. Conversely, I don't think Dean would have any joy against Moore-Charles while your defence faces Law and reminds me of this:

Choc ice?
That's racist

Annahnomoss

although that being said, my attack would easily out score his. better midfield three, even wings and striker.
Nobody can doubt that. The only argument against it was that it was probably too good. Dean/Charles were really ideal up front with Giggs/Stanley out wide.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
all fair points @Raees and @antohan. as a neutral I probably would have voted for pizzo as well. raisbeck was a huge hole in our side due to the nationality problems.

that's why I kept comparing our strikers or wingers. anything but talk of raisbeck :lol:

also one thing I never understood. if mathews was a right winger how did he face Sherwood so many times?
Matthews has said that he used to switch wings if he wasn't getting joy out of a full back, did Sherwood play exclusively at RB? seems strange for sure. One thing that struck me about Jimmy Armfield was that who did he come up against in terms of reknowned wingers... the best wingers in this draft are all right wingers in my opinion, so the left backs from that time had a harder challenge..

Finney, Matthews, Best, Johnstone.. right wingers at their best? I also assume Garrincha in 62 played against England's left back and not Armfield..

MJJ

Matthews has said that he used to switch wings if he wasn't getting joy out of a full back, did Sherwood play exclusively at RB? seems strange for sure. One thing that struck me about Jimmy Armfield was that who did he come up against in terms of reknowned wingers... the best wingers in this draft are all right wingers in my opinion, so the left backs from that time had a harder challenge..

Finney, Matthews, Best, Johnstone.. right wingers at their best?
I know he played in goal but not sure about the leftback position. seems weird that mathews will switch to the left if he always struggle against Sherwood.

that's one of the reason why mani put Sherwood at left back in the first match, even after that he was scared that people would realize Sherwood was a lecf back although all historical books chose him at the right of an all time xi .

think best was better on the left, you forgot Meredith who also was a right wing genius. only genuine class lefty(who couldn't play on the right) is giggsy.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
feck, that question could've cost you the final :lol: how come nobody asked it

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I know he played in goal but not sure about the leftback position. seems weird that mathews will switch to the left if he always struggle against Sherwood.

that's one of the reason why mani put Sherwood at left back in the first match, even after that he was scared that people would realize Sherwood was a lecf back although all historical books chose him at the right of an all time xi .

think best was better on the left, you forgot Meredith who also was a right wing genius. only genuine class lefty(who couldn't play on the right) is giggsy.
I deliberately left out Meridith because so many highly rated right backs seemed to come in that 60's era but I found it funny not many of them played great left wingers. Best was arguably better on the left I agree, which explains how he came up against Reaney an awful lot. Reaney is a beast though, I was gutted to lose him... saw some Leeds games and he is a brilliant full back.

Pat_Mustard

Remix.

I said to Skizzo via PM that I reckoned you'd have voted for us if you were around! Then again, I don't think Chester voted either and I think if anything he'd have edged towards MJJ and Mani.

Pat_Mustard

:lol: I have no idea, everytime I used that Mathew defense I was worried someone will say something.
I actually watched highlight videos of him playing at left back for Wales, but I never brought it up as I just assumed he could play on both sides. In any case I think Skizzo and I gave Sherwood a rough enough time :lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
who would you have voted for anto btw and why?

you too @Joga Bonito
Too tight to call really. Was torn between both teams and decided to chicken out in the end :lol:

Finney, Matthews, Best, Johnstone.. right wingers at their best? I also assume Garrincha in 62 played against England's left back and not Armfield..
It's a shame but I couldn't really find too much material on Armfield. He didn't get the recognition he deserved due to playing for Blackpool throughout his career and for missing out on the 66 WC due to injury. Reckon he'd have been brilliant for the wingless wonders and is easily better than Cohen imo.

Tbh you probably wouldn't really find too many legendary battles between him and other wingers as he was famed for his adventurous wing play and overlapping runs. Not that he was deficient defensively (he was a pretty good in this regard) but his attacking play was always his forte.

He was voted the best right back from Europe in the 62 WC, where he was proclaimed as the best full back in the world and the best RB in Europe during 62-64. Not too bad eh? The best English right back and the best British one as well imo.

Last edited:

antohan

He was voted the best right back of the 62 WC, where he was proclaimed as the best full back in the world and the best RB in Europe during 62-64.
The bolded bit should apply to all three claims.

Quite possibly the best rightback of all time, let alone Armfield's time. No shame being second to him, mind.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The bolded bit should apply to all three claims.

Quite possibly the best rightback of all time, let alone Armfield's time. No shame being second to him, mind.
Yeah made a mistake there. Edited the post.

Last edited:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Good final, contained all the agendas and bitterness built up from previous rounds that every final should!

Would've voted for Pat, his defence is so much stronger.