All-Time Fantasy Draft

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Going to update this.

At the moment the order is as follows assuming Jake doesnt complete the king of all comebacks.

Stobzilla
Antohan
(mightberight)
Brwned
Cutch
NM
Thisistheone
KM
(DanNistelrooy)

Teams gone out so far:

Fergus'son: 1. Beckenbauer 2. Eusebio 3. Didi 4. Krol 5. Zanetti 6. Kocsis 7. Vidic 8. Shesternyov 9. Pirri 10. Czibor 11. Pfaff 12. Ocwirk 13. Costacurta

MJJ: 1. Duncan Edwards 2. Garrincha 3. Muller 4. Luis Suárez 5. Meazza 6. Schmeichel 7. Rui Costa 8. Nasazzi 9. Chumpitaz 10. Zebec 11. Monti 12. Suurbier 13. Quincoces

EDogen: 1. Cruyff 2. Moore 3. Redondo 4. Figo 5. Romario 6. Desailly 7. Dzajic 8. Schnellinger 9. Essien 10. Guardiola 11. Southall 12. Burgnich

Gio: 1. Platini 2. Xavi 3. Rivaldo 4. Kohler 5. Davids 6. Gentile 7. Moreno 8. Nordahl 9. Franklin 10. Jennings 11. Demyanenko 12.

paceme: 1. Figueroa 2. Baresi 3. Voronin 4. Masopust 5. Batistuta 6. Gullit 7. Socrates 8. Amoros 9. Schuster 10. Gordillo 11. Beckham 12. Gregg

Isotope: 1. Zico 2. L. Matthäus 3. Santamaríá 4. Hansen 5. Hagi 6. Finney 7. Viera 8. Irwin 9. Cabrini 10. Raul 11. Veron 12. Cordoba

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I really would rather not go so early now. Being in the middle really is best.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I really would rather not go so early now. Being in the middle really is best.
This is where it's great to have a Brazillian you can trade in, so many ridiculously good picks there that NM and I can't consider.

antohan

Not sure if there's a link or not but the top half seem to be faring a bit better than the bottom half of the draw. Think only Fergus'Son has gone out from the top
Other things equal (i.e. ignoring managers doing a good job, or outliers like Jake making a couple of cockups) teams in the middle look better assembled.

For the most part, in the absence of the biggest name players, the chaps at the bottom had to go for negative tactics. Both iso and paceme clearly set up to frustrate the opposition. Did an excellent job but couldn't pull it off. Stob went in a completely different direction, still managed to form a good side, but was probably lucky not to draw a more impressive midfield.

At the top end you also find some traces of how problematic it is to wait for so long between picks, but at least KM had Messi to help him save the day... Unfortunately for Fergus'son, Beckenbauer doesn't have an equivalent match-winning aura.

The reinforcements will probably work out the same. I'm not looking forward to getting the 2nd and 15th pick :( Closer to the middle you still have a good chance of catching two top rate players and take calculated risks, which I can't.

That said, the draw will also have a massive influence, as it already has in this first knockout round. As with referee mistakes, you have to hope it all evens out over the course of the game!

antohan

This is where it's great to have a Brazillian you can trade in, so many ridiculously good picks there that NM and I can't consider.
I would have happily had Pelé from the off and planned for life without any other Brazilian. Much better than to keep trading up all over the pitch and ending up with unusable subs.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You have the best one already!
:lol: Yeah I know man, hence we wouldn't trade him in!

But if we had gone for Best at the beginning for example there is so many options to upgrade your team, Didi, Zico, Garrincha etc. Makes it harder by limiting the players you can choose, we can't go for Cruyff either, or an Argie.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah it did cross my mind but it's 18-4. I voted for him and like his team but not many more people even vote. You'll probably get 7/8 more before it's finished.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In terms of the optimal position in the draft, I think it depends on how far the number of marquee players extends down the list. In this case there's probably three who'll garner the most votes so a top three position is favourable. The depth of quality though is so high that even when there's a run of players in one position, you don't necessarily have to be in the middle to be able to respond to it. For example, retrospectively I could have picked up Forster at 13 rather than Kohler at 4, and it would've made little difference to the voting. Whereas in a single-decade draft, a run of positions and you're left with Gary Kelly shoring up your defence.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
:lol: Yeah I know man, hence we wouldn't trade him in!

But if we had gone for Best at the beginning for example there is so many options to upgrade your team, Didi, Zico, Garrincha etc. Makes it harder by limiting the players you can choose, we can't go for Cruyff either, or an Argie.
Yeah I know what you meant, was just pointing out that when you have the best (or top two or three) from a particular nation you've done pretty well!

I think D.Edwards or Moore would be good for you...Matthaus would be huge for anyone that manages to get him.

antohan

The depth of quality though is so high that even when there's a run of players in one position, you don't necessarily have to be in the middle to be able to respond to it. For example, retrospectively I could have picked up Forster at 13 rather than Kohler at 4, and it would've made little difference to the voting.
The depth varies and is also constrained by nationality. If you planned on getting a German CB all along you certainly could have waited a lot longer, now English ones...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it's important to get top banana quality in each area of the park reasonably early on hence the choice of Kohler. Much like Erico, Franklin was double-edged: obscure enough to leave until later on, but the same obscurity likely to cost votes despite the accepted qualithy.

NM

Seems an obvious pick for Stobzilla, he doesn't even have a German player in his starting XI!
A CB to partner Passarella should be my priority. What do people think is my 2nd and 3rd weakest area?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A CB to partner Passarella should be my priority. What do people think is my 2nd and 3rd weakest area?
Left-back. Then I'm not sure if you want the option of a ball-player in midfield, which may in turn mean freeing up your keeper nationality slot. The ramifications of these picks are endless, the next round of reinforcements is going to be intriguing.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I'd try and improve on Tardelli, next weakest probably LB, but your bound to have a good forward option which could probably leave you with a better front four than you already have (either in terms of formation suitability or vote winning).

antohan

You don't have many weaknesses really. I would bear in mind you are unlikely to win this with that pair of wingers or a bit more creativity from your midfield pair. Don't think there will be many options available to improve on them yet though. Maybe it is more a case of finding backups for when you need to free up a nationality?

Your case is precisely the sort of case which requires you knowing who your next opponent is, otherwise you could be pretty stuck after the quarters.

antohan

I'm regretting my retarded decision to get 2 german goalkeepers. It makes it pretty much impossible for me to get the likes of Matthaus or Beckenbeur
I told you! Van der sar was not a good idea either but you should have stuck with Maier and gone for someone like Planicka, never a second German keeper.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm regretting my retarded decision to get 2 german goalkeepers. It makes it pretty much impossible for me to get the likes of Matthaus or Beckenbeur
Your only option is to perhaps use your third pick to recruit another goalkeeper from a less popular nation. Pity you can't even get big Pat.

NM

Yeah.. I don't understand how more people aren't playing with wingers. I might just say F that and go narrow as width isn't valued much..

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Yeah.. I don't understand how more people aren't playing with wingers. I might just say F that and go narrow as width isn't valued much..
Yeah, it doesnt seem to be overly valued in this draft, which is a worry for me as my team is reliant on the flanks. Every matchup people seem obsessed with control of the middle of the park. All great sides as far as i'm concerned need good wingers.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah I know what you meant, was just pointing out that when you have the best (or top two or three) from a particular nation you've done pretty well!

I think D.Edwards or Moore would be good for you...Matthaus would be huge for anyone that manages to get him.
I dunno, Moore is an option but hes pretty slow and someone a bit quicker might be better to partner Passarella. Not seen as much of Moore compared to the other options either, same with Edwards aswell tbh!

NM

Yeah, it doesnt seem to be overly valued in this draft, which is a worry for me as my team is reliant on the flanks. Every matchup people seem obsessed with control of the middle of the park. All great sides as far as i'm concerned need good wingers.
Completely agree with you. My side is too - in order to create. I am envisioning something different now - but it depends on what picks I get.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:lol: Ayee I think that would be his pick too.

Stob might get him though! Think Scholes and Zidane might be too attacking at this level of midfield, only Souness there really.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Der Kaiser is another choice, I know he played as a centre back but I am unfamiliar as to weather or not he played in front of the back 4.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That's why I was surprised you vote for me, Stob. 'Strategically' wise, my team being eliminated is an advantage for you, regarding player and picking order.

That's why Antohan vote for jakec ;)