All-Time Fantasy Draft

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Teams gone out so far:

MJJ: 1. Duncan Edwards 2. Garrincha 3. Muller 4. Luis Suárez 5. Meazza 6. Schmeichel 7. Rui Costa 8. Nasazzi 9. Chumpitaz 10. Zebec 11. Monti 12. Suurbier 13. Quincoces

EDogen: 1. Cruyff 2. Moore 3. Redondo 4. Figo 5. Romario 6. Desailly 7. Dzajic 8. Schnellinger 9. Essien 10. Guardiola 11. Southall 12. Burgnich

Gio: 1. Platini 2. Xavi 3. Rivaldo 4. Kohler 5. Davids 6. Gentile 7. Moreno 8. Nordahl 9. Franklin 10. Jennings 11. Demyanenko 12. Morton

The difficult thing for me will be deciding whether I can really justify going for another general in there like Cruyff or whether that would just be getting in the way of Di Stéfano running things...I know which would happen in real life but whether that would be apparent on the screen is another thing.
I reckon you should be focusing on securing a top banana central defender when one becomes available.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Of course, and hopefully one that everyone's familiar with rather than a top-notch defender like Burgnich who's going to be just as useless as Germano. Shame I have to get rid of him though, I was loving his range of passing opening the game right up and providing Giggs, Matthews and Spencer with a constant supply of pin-point passes no matter how well my midfield was looked after.

NM

I would go for somebody like Cruyff. eventually The bigger names will win. Its that simple.

NM

You're just too cool to do your sheet earlier, eh NM? I can see you're a winner already... a moral winner, that's all you'll get.
I win at life Iso..

That's all I need!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I would go for somebody like Cruyff. eventually The bigger names will win. Its that simple.
Cruyff over Giggs might not be such a symmetrical fit on the team-sheet, but, with Brehme's overlapping ability to keep the attacking width, quite justifiable to play out.

NM

Cruyff over Giggs might not be such a symmetrical fit on the team-sheet, but, with Brehme's overlapping ability to keep the attacking width, quite justifiable to play out.
Didn't look at the team sheet - just think the later you go, the more big names will win - the final will probably be an all-star affair.

I would vote for the balanced team, but a casual person wouldn't.

Brwned

I won't be dropping Giggs or Matthews unless it's for another outstanding winger like Garrincha, I'm sticking with wingplay in this one. Cruyff really has no chance of fitting into my team I was just using him as an example of a dominant personality. Centre forward and two centre backs in the next round maybe.

Moby

Dick
I think you would need a bit more quality than that later on against top midfields, at least in the eyes of the voters. Giggs doesn't really rank in that bracket for most, which might hurt you. Had it been Best, it would have been different but with Giggs you might need a replacement, soon.

Brwned

Don't agree at all, Giggs is worthy of a place in the final and there's very, very few players I'd even look at dropping him for.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh. People would rate the like of Nedved, Iniesta, or Zidane over Giggs on the wing, even though the first three are more of midfielders; and for stretching defence and wing play, Giggs is far superior.

Moby

Dick
Don't agree at all, Giggs is worthy of a place in the final and there's very, very few players I'd even look at dropping him for.
I'll be interesting to see if it takes you far. I'm a big fan of wingplay myself but from my observations most of the teams that won votes had narrow formations with players who can go out wide when needed, and not out and out wingers. As Isotope said, a Nedved can rival the number of votes Giggs would get, let alone someone of a higher pedigree. Again, it's an observation from the past drafts, I myself had to drop wingplay when the same happened in the newbies to make sure I look "effective" enough up front, and it's hard to convey that to the voters with a lone striker, but it will be interesting to see if we see a swing in trend this time. Another example is your Serie A draft winning team, which had the likes of Del Piero on the flank, again primarily a central player who can go out wide when needed.

Brwned

Oh of course I agree, you can get away with murder by playing fancy #10s right across the pitch as long as they've even got a hint of mobility but with Di Stéfano the one-man machine that he was I think I can get away with just one striker. It just means that one striker needs to be a standout. Batigol would be nice up there if not for that pesky nationality rule...

Moby

Dick
Indeed, Don Alfredo gives you something not many other AMs can with his completeness. Even though I did have Maradona and Van Basten in that newbie one but I was too big a pussy to go in with a 4-2-3-1 in the final. :lol:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Player Profiles

Jean Marie Pfaff – Legendary Belgian goalkeeper who excelled for his nation at the 1986 WC and during his time at Bayern Munich with who he won 3 leagues in a row.

Javier Zanetti – One of the greatest Argentine players of all time, known for his versatility he can play in several positions across defence and midfield. The most capped Argentine player of all time and Inter Milans all time appearance leader.

Alessandro Costacurta – A wonderful defender with great tactical intelligence, excellent technique and a real competitive streak. A key component of one of the most strongest and successful defences ever assembled.

Nemanja Vidic – Captain and leader during Manchester Utds most successful period ever during which he was clearly the best defender in the world.

Ruud Krol – One of the best defenders of his generation, Krol defined the Dutch ‘Total Football’ philosophy. Quick and agile of though, Krol is perhaps best remembered for his explosive runs down the left wing combined with his accurate delivery, however such was his talent that he could play anywhere across midfield or the back line and excelled as a libero at the 1978 WC.

Franz Beckenbauer – one of the greatest players of all time, and the undisputed greatest libero of all time. Der Kaiser, as he was known due to his elegant style and leadership, he twice won the Ballon dor and won the WC as captain and undoubted talisman in 1974.

Pirri – Pirri is regarded as the best Spanish footballer of the 1970’s, integral to the Real Madrid side of that era. He is renowned for his leadership skills and ferocity as well as his stamina and tough tackling. He was also a very good passer and scored a remarkable amount of goals for a defensive midfielder (123 league goals). He converted to play as sweeper later in his career.

Ernst Ocwirk – One of the greatest Austrian footballers of all time, known for his aesthetic and technical style of playing, his heading ability and his passing range. Nicknamed ‘clockwork’ by the British media because of his midfield consistency, he captained his nation to a 3rd place finish at the 1954 WC.

Didi – Considered to be one of the greatest midfielders the world has ever seen, renowned for his range of passing, stamina and flawless technique. Player of the tournament at the 1958 WC and key component of the 1962 winning team to boot, he was the mastermind and orchestrator behind two of the greatest Brazilian WC success’ of all time.

Eusebio – Needs little introduction, simply one of the greatest strikers to ever play the game., renowned for his speed, technique, athleticism and ferocious shot. He scored 733 goals in 745 matches, was top scorer at the 1966 WC where Portugal finished 3rd, won 11 national leagues, 1 European cup, and European footballer of the year in 1965.

Sandor Kocsis – one of the greatest goalscorers of all time, he has a 1.103 goals per game average for Hungary, a record no other player throughout history can match, Gerd Muller and Ferenc Puskas are 2nd and 3rd. He was top scorer at the 1954 WC with 11 goals (2.2 goals per game).

Subs

Zoltan Czibor – A left winger or a striker he was known for having a powerful shot, great finishing excellent ball control and dribbling. A key component of the Mighty Magyars’ golden team of the 50’s.

Albert Shesternyov – The best defender in Soviet football history. A fine libero he was once voted tenth in the ballon dor.

NM

Posting my player profiles and will PM my tactics to Brwned shortly. Can my game start a little later in the day? I'll be asleep, and I don't think Theon will be around at all for the game.

NM

Player Profiles 1

Goalkeeper
Ricardo Zamora
"El Divino"

Legendary Spanish goalkeeper for both Barcelona and Real Madrid, voted the 5th best of all time by IFFHS. Noted for his exceptional bravery and reflexes he was unquestionably the best of his generation and offers commanding authority behind the best defence in the draft.
The ‘Ricardo Zamora Trophy’ is named in his honour and awarded to the best goalkeeper in La Liga

Paolo Maldini 'Il Capitano'

Italian and AC Milan legend and comprehensively regarded as the greatest left back of all time. Supreme athleticism and exceptional defensive nous, Maldini barely had to make a tackle because he positioning and anticipation was so good. With over 900 appearances for Milan and an incredible 5 European Cups, there isn’t a better player in history to marshal the left flank.

DANIEL ALBERTO PASSARELLA
"El Kaiser"

Argentina’s imperious World Cup winning captain. A classic libero with tremendous technical ability and an outstanding scoring record (almost 1 in 3) Passarella combines unquestionable class with a fiery temperament and aggression. Supremely comfortable in possession, his ability to pass the ball provides a base for initiating attacks from deep. Alongside Figueroa this is without question the best partnership in the game, with both equals to European greats such as Scirea and Baresi.
Maradonna said: “He’s the best defender I’ve ever seen, and the best header of a ball too – in attack as well as defence”.

Elias Figueroa ‘Don Elías’
“The area is my domain, and I decide who enters it.”
Along with his Argentine partner Figueroa is considered the greatest ever South American defender and was voted the continents Footballer of The Year a record three times, continually beating the likes of Zico and Falcao. The epitome of defensive elegance, ‘The Red Wall’ had unmatched anticipation, intelligence and composure. German libero Franz Beckenbauer considered himself ‘the European Figueroa’, with both players combining outstanding playmaking ability with defensive solidity.

Lilian Thuram ‘Le Philosophe’

Completing this impenetrable defence, Thuram is the greatest defensive fullback to play the game. The most expensive defender in the world and France’s most capped player with whom he won the World Cup and European Championship. Physically unconquerable and mentally robust with a steely character, Thuram is consistent in his excellence. One of the games true modern greats.

ZBIGNIEW BONIEK

"Beauty At Night"
Boniek is quite simply a wonderful football and one for the purists. Pace, guile, determination, technical skill and an incredible workrate, Boniek was instrumental in the conquering Juventus team of the 80’s. Like Blokhin on the left flank Boniek’s greatest asset was his incredible pace and dribbling ability, but more so than his teammate he had a formidable footballing intelligence which allowed him to thrive in any position on the pitch. An irreproachable ability to raise his game for big matches Boniek was the scorer of one of the best ever World Cup Hatricks and earned the nickname ‘Bello di notte’ for his performances at night in European competitions.
Voted third in the European Footballer of the Year and nominated numerous times, Boniek was named by FIFA as one of the 100 Greatest Ever Footballers.

Johan Neeskens
“Johan the Second”.

Instrumental for Holland in arguably the greatest international team ever assembled and winner of three European Cups. Just like his namesake, “Johan the Second” was a total footballer combining Dutch technique with German toughness and an iron will to win. Neeskens was a natural leader and brilliant all round midfielder in both defence and attack.

NM

Player Profiles 2

Obdulio Varela - ‘The Black Chief’

Varela is one of the best central midfielders of all time; inspirational, intimidating and utterly dominant. ‘El Negro Jefe’ literally dragged underdogs Uruguay to World Cup victory in 1950, a force of nature against the flashy Brazilians. Varela was close to repeating the achievement in the 1954 World Cup, dragging Uruguay to the Semi-Finals. To Uruguay’s dismay, he got injured and without their captain Uruguay lost to Hungary led by Ferenc Puskas. If Varela had been present history may have been different, such was his extraordinary influence. He was voted the 13th greatest South American footballer ever by IFFHS.

Oleh Blokhin - 'The Ulranian Arrow'

Considered the greatest Soviet footballer and one of the games best ever dribblers, combining sprinter speed with exceptional ball control. Blokhin’s game was based around electric and mazy dribbles either on the left flank or upfront, committing defenders and then shooting past them. Voted the best player in Europe 1975 when he won the Ballon D’Or beating the likes of Cruyff and Beckenbauer, and was inside the Top 20 on four occasions.

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge - 'Kalle'

German captain and one of footballs true superstars. The best player in Europe in the early 80’s Rummenigge is Germany’s best footballer since Beckenbauer. Two time winner of the Ballon D’or and winner of the Silver Ball in 1979, Rummenigge was the quintessential ‘complete footballer’. An athletic, pacy and strong forward capable of playing anywhere along the front line, Kalle could beat defenders with his speed, physical power or faultless technical abilities. Rummenigge was a lethal finisher who scored 155 goals in 217 appearances for Bayern Munich in his prime before moving to Inter for a record transfer fee.
Quite simply the best striker of his era, he will thrive on the service provided from the wings and the genius of Pele.

Pele - O Rei do Futebol ‘The king of Football’.
The best player of all time.
A genius who truly turned football into the ‘Beautiful Game’, his World Cup exploits are unmatched, his goal scoring record never bettered and his penchant for the sublime and breathtaking unsurpassed. With every touch of the ball, every pass, every dribble, Pele was capable of coming up with something new - something the fans had never seen before.
Allying perfect technique with speed, intelligence, movement, a ferocious shot an incredible leap the Brazilian was just about the perfect footballer.

NM

PMd brnwed my tactics hours ago. off to sleep now

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Deciding draws

I'm editing the rules to bring on penalties hereafter.

Right now, we are all over the place with that and there has to be a way to quickly, effectively and fairly put games to bed.

• It being a lottery is not unfair, you've just had 24 hours to convince people there was a difference between the sides and it hasn't worked. Statistically, there is a 50-50 chance of a vote-caster going either way, as proven by the scoreline.

• In practice, there isn't a 50-50 chance. Managers or assistant managers still in the game have skin in the game and it's too big a decision to pass on to them. Managers eliminated from the game usually follow their former players they've developed a crush for, which also introduces unfair bias.

• Turning regular voters into ombudsmen makes us lose their contribution during games. Not good.

• Randomly picking "knowledgeable posters" on the spot is no good either. I knew all along Peterstorey didn't rate Moore or Cruyff too highly, so EDogen was a goner the moment he accepted that. I can't expect EDogen to know it though. It is unfair on more recent caf members (Cutch obviously suggested him with no ill-will in mind, let's be clear).

• Further, sometimes games haven't started the way they finished. Any manager will tell you their argumentation will be stronger at the end. A vote caster will not read through all the feckups managers did along the way, playing people out of position for half the game, etc. That influences voting over the course of the poll and it should, as tactics changes and subs do in real life. The vote caster will be facing the final version of the manager's wisdom, which is not an accurate way to reflect/decide on how a game went.
Overall, the only quick, fair, 100% unbiased, way of deciding the games is penalties. If you don't want them, make sure you don't draw.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I have PM'd Brwned with my formation and my own little player bio's. it's a humble effort, im not draft hardened like most of you seem to be.

antohan

Sorry lads. Peterstorey was first name came into my head. Thought he was decent shout for a deciding vote. Sorry to EDogen if it was to his disadvantage
As I said, it is clear you offered an option, just like many others that were thrown into the thread, with no other intention than helping.

I would rather avoid that going forward. There are several people I would know which way they will vote. I knew which way Pol would vote when he had to decide one of my games (unfortunately we had agreed on any manager who hadn't voted having the casting vote), I knew what Pete would go for, same with Cling today... If we keep randomly picking someone you can be pretty sure I will never agree to someone who won't go for me!

I don't think others have played this enough to know roughly what does it or doesn't do it for certain regulars. It's called asymmetric information, and thats' why it would be more unfair than penos.

Brwned

Everyone has sent me their stuff aside from Jake. I'm not going to bother chasing up after him so I'm just taking his half-done formation and tactics from earlier.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So how are we taking players from the losing sides?

Brwned

Reinforcements: after the first knockout round all eliminated players go to a pool, the picking order starts from the bottom and three reinforcements are picked altogether (one at a time). After the quarters the winner picks two from the side they beat. After the semis they pick one.

KM

So we can have six new players at the time we go into finals?

KM

That's class.

Who'll decide the order for this btw?

Would it be decided by a randomizer or would it be based on the original order?

Brwned

Original order going in the opposite direction. At the moment the order is as follows:

(Isotope)
(Stobzilla)
Antohan
(mightberight)
(JakeC)
Brwned
Cutch
(NM)
Thisistheone
KM
(DanNistelrooy)

Teams gone out so far:

Fergus'son: 1. Beckenbauer 2. Eusebio 3. Didi 4. Krol 5. Zanetti 6. Kocsis 7. Vidic 8. Shesternyov 9. Pirri 10. Czibor 11. Pfaff 12. Ocwirk 13. Costacurta

MJJ: 1. Duncan Edwards 2. Garrincha 3. Muller 4. Luis Suárez 5. Meazza 6. Schmeichel 7. Rui Costa 8. Nasazzi 9. Chumpitaz 10. Zebec 11. Monti 12. Suurbier 13. Quincoces

EDogen: 1. Cruyff 2. Moore 3. Redondo 4. Figo 5. Romario 6. Desailly 7. Dzajic 8. Schnellinger 9. Essien 10. Guardiola 11. Southall 12. Burgnich

Gio: 1. Platini 2. Xavi 3. Rivaldo 4. Kohler 5. Davids 6. Gentile 7. Moreno 8. Nordahl 9. Franklin 10. Jennings 11. Demyanenko 12.

paceme: 1. Figueroa 2. Baresi 3. Voronin 4. Masopust 5. Batistuta 6. Gullit 7. Socrates 8. Amoros 9. Schuster 10. Gordillo 11. Beckham 12. Gregg

Full teams:
Fergus'son: 1. Beckenbauer 2. Eusebio 3. Didi 4. Krol 5. Zanetti 6. Kocsis 7. Vidic 8. Shesternyov 9. Pirri 10. Czibor 11. Pfaff 12. Ocwirk 13. Costacurta

DanNistelrooy: Cristiano Ronaldo 2. Ronaldinho 3. Nesta, 4. Gascoigne 5. Makelele 6. McGrath 7. Vogts 8. Camacho 9. Seedorf 10. Drogba 11. Cech, 12. Van Persie 13. Yaya

KM: 1. Messi 2. Scirea 3. Bozsik, 4. Sammer 5. Nedved 6. Valderrama 7. Banks 8. Schiaffino 9. Djalma Santos 10. Popluhar 11. Lizarazu 12. Robben 13. Busquets

Thisistheone: 1. Maradona 2. B.Charlton 3. Eto'o, 4. Cannavaro 5. Coluna 6. Bremner 7. Carlos Alberto 8. Blanc 9. Alonso 10. Lahm 11. Preud’Homme 12. Weah 13. Luis Enrique

NM: 1. Pele 2. Neeskens 3. Passarella 4. Boniek 5. Thuram 6. Tardelli 7. Carvalho 8. Blokhin 9. Rummenigge 10. Cole 11. Zamora 12. Netzer 13. Mc Neill

Cutch: 1. Best 2. Van Basten 3. Robson 4. R Baggio 5. Charles 6. Tigana 7. Hierro 8. Maier 9. Nilton Santos 10. Shevchenko 11. Kahn 12. Hamrin 13. Eyzaguirre

Brwned: 1. Di Stéfano 2. Keane 3. Falcão 4. Giggs 5. Matthews 6. Brehme 7. Trésor 8. McGrain 9. Spencer 10. Germano 11. Sárosi 12. Mazurkiewicz 13. Haan

JakeC: 1. Ronaldo 2. Maldini 3. Deschamps 4. Gento 5. Stam 6. Law 7. Deco 8. Janes 9. Augusto 10. Peters 11. Giles 12. Gamarra 13. Fillol

mightberight: 1. Ferenc Puskas 2. Stoichkov 3. Breitner 4. Jairzinho 5. Bergomi 6. Varela 7. Koeman 8. Marzolini 9. Gerets 10. Kopa 11. Shilton 12. Johnstone 13. Popescu

EDogen: 1. Cruyff 2. Moore 3. Redondo 4. Figo 5. Romario 6. Desailly 7. Dzajic 8. Schnellinger 9. Essien 10. Guardiola 11. Southall 12. Burgnich 13. Sanchez

Gio: 1. Platini 2. Xavi 3. Rivaldo 4. Kohler 5. Davids 6. Gentile 7. Moreno 8. Nordahl 9. Franklin 10. Jennings 11. Demyanenko 12. Morton 13. Stankovic

Antohan: 1. Laudrup 2. Rijkaard 3. Iniesta 4. Facchetti 5. Henry 6. R. Ferdinand 7. Effenberg 8. Vasovic 9. Dasayev 10. Andrade 11. Erico 12. Rivelino

Stobzilla: 1. Zidane 2. Yashin (Russia) 3. Scholes 4. Souness 5. Savicevic 6. Cafu 7. Kubala 8. Van Nistlerooy 9. Puyol 10. Ayala 11. Montero 12. Happel

Isotope: 1. Zico 2. L. Matthäus 3. Santamaríá 4. Hansen 5. Hagi 6. Finney 7. Viera 8. Irwin 9. Cabrini 10. Raul 11. Veron 12. Cordoba

paceme: 1. Figueroa 2. Baresi 3. Voronin 4. Masopust 5. Batistuta 6. Gullit 7. Socrates 8. Amoros 9. Schuster 10. Gordillo 11. Beckham 12. Gregg

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Looking forward to seeing the next round of drafting, it's blatantly the most interesting part of these games!

Brwned

Sorry meant to be mention that earlier, 5 of the first 7 or 8 threads on the main page were Fantasy Draft stuff so I just (soft-)deleted a couple of the match threads that were already finished. I'll restore them now.

EDIT: Done

antohan

Looking forward to seeing the next round of drafting, it's blatantly the most interesting part of these games!
Indeed. It will be very interesting to work out how to improve teams and bring on top quality without throwing the side completely out of kilter. The nationality constraint will be a mjor ball-breaker as well.

Looking forward to it.

antohan

Just wondering, will we know our opponent for the next round before the next drafting?
Originally I thought it would be interesting to go blind, but no, we will be having the draw before reinforcements.

It would be a shame if, say, someone picked Maradona (I know, not available) only to find he is facing KM (Messi) or Brwned (Don Alfredo) next. At the same time, maybe without him you wouldn't win that game... Interesting decisions to be made!

Anything that adds variables to the decision-making tends to make it a lot more fun (and excruciating :lol:).

It should ensure teams get as strong as possible going forward, which also helps make the final game quite an interesting one!