All Time Premier League Fantasy Draft: SF - MJJ/Crappy vs diarm

With players at peaks in the teams indicated, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Going for Diarm.

Crappy and MJJ have great firepower but I don't think they will be able to unlock Diarm's quality deep defence more often than Diarm can on the counter against, at this stage, is a pretty soft backline.

I was concerned about the Scholes pick as it really unbalances the midfield 4. The key to the Utd 99 midfield was Beckham who made it almost a 3 in the middle as well as being very hard working. Ginola clearly won't do that. As such retaining Ince or a more defensive box-to-box or DM would have been a better option.

Also in this game I think Berbatov would have been a better option than Bergkamp due to his hold up play- we were much better at breaking teams down that parked the bus with him in the team a few years ago.

On Diarm's end Modric is probably being slightly over rated. Also despite not being a Shay Given fan Seaman is one of the most overated goalkeepers I've seen: it was criminal that Nigel Martyn didn't displace him as England's no. 1

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Also in this game I think Berbatov would have been a better option than Bergkamp due to his hold up play- we were much better at breaking teams down that parked the bus with him in the team a few years ago.
No way, Bergkamp is pretty much Berba 2.0 at everything, including hold up play

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Exactly. Modric at Madrid > Modric at Spurs. Heck before he went to Madrid, many of here were not even sure that he was worth going for. His level at Spurs was not the same as his peak at Madrid over last 2 seasons.
I dread the day when random transfer muppet opinions turn to gospel :lol:

Sjor does have a point though that Modric turned into a better more direct player and distributor at Madrid, while he was more at home as a possession player with Spurs. I don't see that as a problem though, bar the waxing lyrical over his over the top balls whicch started the whole discussion.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Berbatov can never be better in a match than Bergkamp. Not from any position, not against any opponents and not in any tactics.
this
and this is my AM talking! no wonder we went out in the first round.....just kidding, i love my Psycho...i mean Physio hh

VivaJanuzaj

I dread the day when random transfer muppet opinions turn to gospel :lol:

Sjor does have a point though that Modric turned into a better more direct player and distributor at Madrid, while he was more at home as a possession player with Spurs. I don't see that as a problem though, bar the waxing lyrical over his over the top balls whicch started the whole discussion.
Missed that post. Bloody madness talks from @crappycraperson who doesn't have too much contoversial opinions usually. Modric at Spurs was arguably more important to the team than Bale was. He absolutely dominated most PL matches and, after finishing a season at Spurs, dominated THE Spanish midfield from a mediocore Croatia squad.
The guy was a mastermind, I chose him early because if you ask me, he's the best creating CM in the PL era bar Scholes and maybe Gerrard.

Underrating him in the caf has switched to a new high

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Comparing the two players earlier that year, the then-United manager said: “Scholes and Modric are both intelligent footballers.

“They both influence their teams as well so it is a reasonable comparison.

“I don’t think they are identical players, but they have the same qualities in terms of controlling a game.

“Their passing consistency is good and the one thing people underestimate about Modric is that he has terrific stamina.”

Ferguson ultimately decided to end his interest in Modric because of the prospect of entering negotiations with Levy.

The Spurs chairman had driven a hard bargain over the £18m sale of Michael Carrick in 2006 and there was ill-feeling over Dimitar Berbatov’s £30.75m move to United two year’s later.

Recounting his search for a creative midfielder, Ferguson wrote in his autobiography: “There was a young Paul Scholes missing from our team.

“We needed that kind of playmaking influence.

“People spoke about Modric, but we were reluctant to deal with Spurs after the Berbatov carry-on.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ll-news/scholes-loves-him-luka-modric-8065038

Such a shame we missed out on him. He reached his prime at Real but he was the best midfielder in England during the latter years of his EPL career tbf.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
My word you really aren't getting this? You have watched football and watched this system work. You've watched us do something not dissimilar to Arsenal on multiple occasions.

I have literally drawn out my formation, drawn it out again to show defensive positioning, drawn it out a third time to show attacking movment and then again to show the path of the ball to find these attackers.

And still you come up with that lineup above, displaying a clear lack of understanding as to how it will work? Surely that in itself is an indicator as to how this match will go?
Ooh, snap.

diarm

Nailbiting stuff!

Neck and neck going into the final stages. I think my better keeper and better defence will be holding firm and that we'll nick a winner. Either on the counter through a Le Tissier wonder strike against a tiring backline who have played much higher and got through much more running, or a Bale breakaway down the left. Maybe it comes from Van Persie outmaneuvering Southgate onto a long ball from Modric or it's a Beckham free kick from 25 yards after Keane brings Le Tissier down outside the area.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
:lol: You've done well mate. I would've started frothing by the second or third page.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Berbatov has more goals, more physical presence and aerial ability (and more and better volleys) than Bergkamp. I'm not saying he's better than Bergkamp but he could offer something different and useful here. Possibly more importantly though, I think upgrades elsewhere would have been more useful.

On Bergkamp though, he's overrated and under performed at the highest stage (though PL in the main he was great). I remember Marcotti making a similar point on Talksport in Europe around 10 years ago.

Props to Diarm for setting up Terry to excel: deep defensive line with a DM. He'd get more appreciation in these drafts he was always used in such a way

diarm

86th Minute:

Bergkamp slides Fowler through with a pinpoint pass. Not for the first time in the match, Ferdinand steps in with a cool, calm tackle and emerges from the box with the ball at his feet. He looks up, Modric is ahead and he finds him with a simple pass.

Modric takes the ball and turns, he looks ahead and spots Le Tissier, he shapes up to play it in first time but wait! McGrath has come out to meet Le Tissier...
.. He's left a gap, Modric lifts it and ... Van Persie is through on goal!

Van Persie takes it in his stride.. one touch and buries it past the flailing Irishman in goals. The fans are going wild in the stands! There are some people on the pitch... they think it's all over.

diarm

It is now!

A mix up between Ginola and Ivanovic from the restart gifts possession to Le Tissier. A little bit of magic from the Southampton man draws a foul from Mc Grath outside the box.

Up steps Becks and well... we all know what happens from here.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Oh, didn't know that. Awesome, I love pens.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
David Ginola steps up to take the first penalty for MJJ/crappy. He steadies himself, makes his run...

...and sends the ball to the center of the net, leaving Seaman stranded

1-0 MJJ/crappy

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Up next is Luka Modric. He picks up the ball, places it on the spot, and strikes it to the left

....only for Given to guess the direction correctly and makes the save!

1-0 MJJ/crappy

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Bergkamp is next to take the penalty for MJJ/crappy. This is a good chance for his team to extend the score. He steps up and hits the ball to the right corner

...but it is saved by Seaman! Bergkamp rues his chance as diarm celebrates on the touchline

1-0 MJJ/crappy

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Le Tissier to take the second penalty for diarm. With Bergkamp missing his penalty, this is a good chance to level the score. He knows exactly where to put the ball to, and proceeds to strike the penalty....

...but Given is in great form and saves it!

1-0 MJJ/crappy