All Time Premier League Fantasy Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Has he ever played in a back 3? Not overly keen on the Brown pick. Its scrapin the barrel a bit in Utd picks and theres still loads of good CBs/RBs pretty much on his level. He's also always been quite prone to a brainfart
Not in Back 3, but I don't think he's be odd out there. Perfectly suitable. Others may have had a longer career, but I believe Brown's peak in 07-08 was quite high.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Has he ever played in a back 3? Not overly keen on the Brown pick. Its scrapin the barrel a bit in Utd picks and theres still loads of good CBs/RBs pretty much on his level. He's also always been quite prone to a brainfart
He played as an RB for Manchester United more or less consequently through one of the club's most celebrated seasons ever. And he played well too. Surprisingly well, some would say - I wouldn't really disagree. I remember being outraged myself that we didn't have anything better to offer in the absence of Gary Neville (another player whose legendary status on here was hardly given from day one, be it said).

He was great - at right back - that season. Nothing short of it. Defensively more astute than most side backs and surprisingly adept at overlapping/interacting.

"Much on his level"? Hardly. Not in real life.

Moby

Dick
This where the 'peak' evaluation will help him. He was very solid, if not more, that season.

Most teams have better options from United players, others have better RBs from earlier, and again, as @antohan mentioned a few pages earlier about Fletcher and Butt, most people will find it a little harder reinforcing when they need to decide either to not take a United player or replace Brown as well.
From that point of view and reinforcements yes it's tricky to have a utd pick in a position you might wanna upgrade.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This where the 'peak' evaluation will help him. He was very solid, if not more, that season.
"If not more" made him pretty feckin' good in most areas that count. And one season is all many others have under their belt too. Seems to be the standard, in fact, for the minimum requirement - not only for eligibility but for so-called "peak". If so, Wes easily walks all over most candidates for praise here.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Not in Back 3, but I don't think he's be odd out there. Perfectly suitable. Others may have had a longer career, but I believe Brown's peak in 07-08 was quite high.
He played as an RB for Manchester United more or less consequently through one of the club's most celebrated seasons ever. And he played well too. Surprisingly well, some would say - I wouldn't really disagree. I remember being outraged myself that we didn't have anything better to offer in the absence of Gary Neville (another player whose legendary status on here was hardly given from day one, be it said).

He was great - at right back - that season. Nothing short of it. Defensively more astute than most side backs and surprisingly adept at overlapping/interacting.

"Much on his level"? Hardly. Not in real life.
As United fans his performances were notable for us as it filled a problem position for us at the time with G Nev missing, but in the grand scheme of things, of PL right backs since 1992, i'd say it was an average-good season, nothing more. I enjoyed his latter CL performances more that season but then of course they have no bearing on this.

There's atleast 6 CBs left that have had better PL careers/peaks than Wes and atleast 2 right backs on a par. Most having the bonus in this draft of being from non top 4 clubs. All imo of course.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
...but in the grand scheme of things, of PL right backs since 1992, i'd say it was an average-good season, nothing more.
Compared to what exactly? PL right backs who won the Champions League? Let's count 'em, shall we...one...

You can downplay it all you want, there are very few standout PL right backs - if anyone. No Cafus in the pool. Ashley Cole is the standout fullback, but he's on the other side. Irwin was an RB originally, but for the PL he's an LB too.

For right back there's Gary Nev, a spectacularly unspectacular player, and then a whole host of candidates who are no better than Wes Brown, Champions League Winner (with an assist).

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Compared to what exactly? PL right backs who won the Champions League? Let's count 'em, shall we...one...

You can downplay it all you want, there are very few standout PL right backs - if anyone. No Cafus in the pool. Ashley Cole is the standout fullback, but he's on the other side. Irwin was an RB originally, but for the PL he's an LB too.

For right back there's Gary Nev, a spectacularly unspectacular player, and then a whole host of candidates who are no better than Wes Brown, Champions League Winner (with an assist).
Yeap.. right back pool in this draft.. let's put it this way if we were to have expand this draft to include Italian and Spanish league for the same time period, I don't think more than 2 right backs from PL would be picked.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Champions League has nothing to do with this. If it had any bearing i'd be more likely to agree with you.

As it stands his league performances that year were good enough that we didn't miss Gary Neville. It was a solid season, but worth a United (the team thats dominated the PL era) pick on? I don't think so.

Annahnomoss

Brown is tough to rate. As a CB he had me scared shitless every time he played and I for one don't rate him to be a part of an all time EPL draft in that role. As a right back he clearly had a great season, no doubt about that, but then he went on to not make a single appearance in 8 months in the following season.

So the question is how many seasons you consider a peak, I can see people getting stricter about that for each round that passes. Brown played 7 games in Europe but I think 4 of those(vs Milan and Roma) were down to the fact that Vidic/Ferdinand couldn't play.

Against Lille when they could he wasn't part of the first eleven. He definitely hadn't yet made that right back position his own and Neville played more matches overall than Brown in total even if Brown also played as a centre back.

There is no right and wrong here I think, just goes down to your idea on how to rate the peak in this specific draft.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Champions League has nothing to do with this. If it had any bearing i'd be more likely to agree with you.

As it stands his league performances that year were good enough that we didn't miss Gary Neville. It was a solid season, but worth a United (the team thats dominated the PL era) pick on? I don't think so.
The only right back who "dominated" the PL era is Neville, then.

Managers pick players here based on ONE season worth of service. It would be absurd to let Brown be an exception to this rule. He was United's first choice right back throughout the 2007-2008 season, and we won the league.

Marty1968

Glad my pick has sparked so much discussion. Yes there are many other United players you'd pick over him hence he's a tenth round pick...but other than Neville and perhaps Ivanovic, not many other rb's who are miles better than him when in his peak in 07/08 season.

Parlour fits a similar category....many more star names in the arsenal sides over the years but not many to match his heart, workrate and no nonsense style.

Annahnomoss

The only right back who "dominated" the PL era is Neville, then.

Managers pick players here based on ONE season worth of service. It would be absurd to let Brown be an exception to this rule. He was United's first choice right back throughout the 2007-2008 season, and we won the league.
Petrescu deserves a shout too. 24 goals and 33 assists in 152 matches for Chelsea and part of the team of the decade. If you want someone who is good going forward from the right back role then he's probably the top pick in this draft.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not much of a conundrum, is it? If one season is enough to decide "peak", then there you have it. What goes for one player must necessarily go for another player. If you can prove that Brown was horrible (or just plain mediocre) in United's league campaign in 2007-2008, then knock yourself out.

If not, he's clearly right up there.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Petrescu deserves a shout too. 24 goals and 33 assists in 152 matches for Chelsea and part of the team of the decade. If you want someone who is good going forward from the right back role then he's probably the top pick in this draft.
Absolutely. Sure. But where to draw the line, that is the question. If people field players who only played for the club they're assigned to for a season, then presto: The one season "peak" has to count for all of them.

And if it does, Wes Brown is second to...if not none, then certainly few.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
If people field players who only played for the club they're assigned to for a season, then presto: The one season "peak" has to count for all of them.
I still can't believe that this DM has not been picked yet. World class player....Yeah, he plays for a unfancied team, but still I always thought he had a fantastic 'single peak' season!

:D

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I still can't believe that this DM has not been picked yet. World class player....Yeah, he plays for a unfancied team, but still I always thought he had a fantastic 'single peak' season!

:D
Smith again!

Played for an un-fancied team (United are hated by everyone, including their own fans), was world class (according to Frogie) and had a fantastic season (in the sense that he was fantastically useless).

Cal?

CR7 fan
  1. Marty1968 - 1. Shearer 2. Terry 3. Yaya Toure 4. Bruce 5. Kanchelskis 6. Les Ferdinand 7. Barnes 8. Cech 9. Harte 10. Parlour 11. Brown
  2. Skizzo - 1. Ronaldo 2. Campbell 3. Desailly 4. Gallas 5. Gilberto Silva 6. Kewell 7. Wright 8. Juninho 9. Bridge 10. Arteta 11. Hart
  3. Cal? - 1. Henry 2. Torres 3. Hazard 4. Schneiderlin 5. Bryan Robson 6. Carragher 7. Sagna 8. Staunton 9. Park 10. Gary Cahill 11. Courtois
  4. MJJ/Crappy - 1. Keane 2. Overmars 3. Ginola 4. Ince 5. Stuart Pearce 6. Fowler 7. Southgate 8. Berbatov 9. Ferreira 10. Given
  5. Cutch - 1. Giggs 2. Essien 3. McManaman 4. G Neville 5. Barry 6. Des Walker 7. Hasselbaink 8. Clichy 9. Gudjohnsen 10. Friedel
  6. The Stain - 1. Scholes 2. Lampard 3. Drogba 4. Ljungberg 5. A. Young 6. Baines 7. Carr 8. Woodgate 9. Davids 10. Fernandinho
  7. berbasloth4 - 1. Vieira 2. Stam 3. RVN 4. King 5. Duff 6. Sheringham 7. Matic 8. Kelly 9. Jose Enrique 10. Nasri
  8. Kazi - 1. Suarez 2. McGrath 3. Vidic 4. Klinsmann 5. Waddle 6. Ballack 7. Azpilicueta 8. Fletcher 9. Lauren 10. Flowers
  9. Tuppet - 1. Ferdinand 2. Ashley Cole 3. Xabi Alonso 4. Petit 5. Mata 6. Andy Cole 7. Nani 8. Koscielny 9. Yorke 10. Anderton
  10. coolredwine - 1. Cantona 2. Irwin 3. Adams 4. Hyypia 5. Dennis Wise 6. Dixon 7. Gary Speed 8. Hamann 9. Jay Jay Okocha 10. Martyn
  11. diarm - 1. Bale 2. Beckham 3. Van Persie 4. Pallister 5. Le Tissier 6. Batty 7. Hendry 8. Sherwood 9. Jones 10. Seaman
  12. Gio - 1. Gerrard 2. Makelele 3. Robben 4.Kompany 5. Petrescu 6. Tevez 7. Adebayor 8. van der Sar 9. Veron 10. Vertonghen
  13. VivaJanuzaj - 1. Bergkamp 2. Modrić 3. Evra 4. Ivanović 5. Hargreaves 6. Owen 7. Joe Cole 8. de Jong 9. Bould 10. Reina
  14. Stobzilla - 1. Rooney 2. Pires 3. Carvalho 4.Beardsley 5. Radebe 6. Gullit 7. Butt 8. Riise 9. Babbel 10. Anelka
  15. bleezy - 1. Fabregas 2. Agüero 3. Sanchez 4. Mascherano 5. Kolo Toure 6. Le Saux 7. Johnsen 8. Schmeichel 9. van der Vaart 10. Arbeloa
  16. Šjor Bepo - 1. Zola 2. Carrick 3. David Silva 4. Zabaleta 5. McAllister 6. Keown 7. Winterburn 8. Leboeuf 9. Lloris 10. Phillips
@MJJ @crappycraperson

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anyway - peak.

Beware the peak.

Of Pearce.

Or Brown.

Or Beige. Possibly.

Until next time, take care of your loved ones and remember to stay in school.

Then you'll grow up to be like me. Possibly.

MJJ

1. Marty1968 - 1. Shearer 2. Terry 3. Yaya Toure 4. Bruce 5. Kanchelskis 6. Les Ferdinand 7. Barnes 8. Cech 9. Harte 10. Parlour 11. Brown
  2. Skizzo - 1. Ronaldo 2. Campbell 3. Desailly 4. Gallas 5. Gilberto Silva 6. Kewell 7. Wright 8. Juninho 9. Bridge 10. Arteta 11. Hart
  3. Cal? - 1. Henry 2. Torres 3. Hazard 4. Schneiderlin 5. Bryan Robson 6. Carragher 7. Sagna 8. Staunton 9. Park 10. Gary Cahill 11. Courtois
  4. MJJ/Crappy - 1. Keane 2. Overmars 3. Ginola 4. Ince 5. Stuart Pearce 6. Fowler 7. Southgate 8. Berbatov 9. Ferreira 10. Given 11.Agger
  5. Cutch - 1. Giggs 2. Essien 3. McManaman 4. G Neville 5. Barry 6. Des Walker 7. Hasselbaink 8. Clichy 9. Gudjohnsen 10. Friedel
  6. The Stain - 1. Scholes 2. Lampard 3. Drogba 4. Ljungberg 5. A. Young 6. Baines 7. Carr 8. Woodgate 9. Davids 10. Fernandinho
  7. berbasloth4 - 1. Vieira 2. Stam 3. RVN 4. King 5. Duff 6. Sheringham 7. Matic 8. Kelly 9. Jose Enrique 10. Nasri
  8. Kazi - 1. Suarez 2. McGrath 3. Vidic 4. Klinsmann 5. Waddle 6. Ballack 7. Azpilicueta 8. Fletcher 9. Lauren 10. Flowers
  9. Tuppet - 1. Ferdinand 2. Ashley Cole 3. Xabi Alonso 4. Petit 5. Mata 6. Andy Cole 7. Nani 8. Koscielny 9. Yorke 10. Anderton
  10. coolredwine - 1. Cantona 2. Irwin 3. Adams 4. Hyypia 5. Dennis Wise 6. Dixon 7. Gary Speed 8. Hamann 9. Jay Jay Okocha 10. Martyn
  11. diarm - 1. Bale 2. Beckham 3. Van Persie 4. Pallister 5. Le Tissier 6. Batty 7. Hendry 8. Sherwood 9. Jones 10. Seaman
  12. Gio - 1. Gerrard 2. Makelele 3. Robben 4.Kompany 5. Petrescu 6. Tevez 7. Adebayor 8. van der Sar 9. Veron 10. Vertonghen
  13. VivaJanuzaj - 1. Bergkamp 2. Modrić 3. Evra 4. Ivanović 5. Hargreaves 6. Owen 7. Joe Cole 8. de Jong 9. Bould 10. Reina
  14. Stobzilla - 1. Rooney 2. Pires 3. Carvalho 4.Beardsley 5. Radebe 6. Gullit 7. Butt 8. Riise 9. Babbel 10. Anelka
  15. bleezy - 1. Fabregas 2. Agüero 3. Sanchez 4. Mascherano 5. Kolo Toure 6. Le Saux 7. Johnsen 8. Schmeichel 9. van der Vaart 10. Arbeloa
  16. Šjor Bepo - 1. Zola 2. Carrick 3. David Silva 4. Zabaleta 5. McAllister 6. Keown 7. Winterburn 8. Leboeuf 9. Lloris 10. Phillips
@MJJ @crappycraperson
Strongly considered taking him instead of given as well.

Edit-Although now you cant play chelsea torres, he was the successful :confused:

@Cutch

bleezy

You could assemble the whole United 2008 backline and people would say "ah but my LW would destroy Wes Brown". The truth is, in real life, he was a very good proven right back at the highest level, even if his hair and general standing in a United context makes people think otherwise. He didn't look out of place next to Rio and Vidic, so I'm sure he'd be more than fine next to good defenders like Terry and Bruce.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Strongly considered taking him instead of given as well.

Edit-Although now you cant play chelsea torres, he was the successful :confused:

@Cutch
I was going to pick Hart until Skizzo took him, now I can't play the Chelsea Torres who won so much. :(

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You could assemble the whole United 2008 backline and people would say "ah but my LW would destroy Wes Brown". The truth is, in real life, he was a very good proven right back at the highest level, even if his hair and general standing in a United context makes people think otherwise. He didn't look out of place next to Rio and Vidic, so I'm sure he'd be more than fine next to good defenders like Terry and Bruce.
Damn straight.

And his hair is great.

Batman out.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
No doubt. He's on a level most RBs picked in this draft simply aren't on - and that's a fact. Or a facht. But it's true. He performed at the highest level as a fully functional fullback (an FFFB) for a full season (that would be an FSFFFB= Full Season Fully Functional Full Back), winning the league and the CL in the process.

I love him myself. Salford lad too.
I'm on the fence with this one. He had an excellent 07-08 season of course, in a relatively specific set up in that we required defensive solidity behind a free-roaming Ronaldo rather than a more balanced full back. Of course he played that fantastic cross for Ronaldo himself in the CL final, but that was hardly representative of his overall attacking contribution from RB. In an unrestricted PL draft I agree he'd be a good pick at RB with the right style of RW ahead of him, its just the club restriction that makes it underwhelming. And my opinion that there's another unpicked CB turned full back that was equally good in the same role not long after, yet he was unfairly maligned for performing at least as well as Wes did imo.

Just a pet peeve of him that is maybe unduly influencing my stance on Wes :)

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Actually...yes. That is accurate, as I'm house sitting, as they call it. Feckin' people. They're out of booze, though, so their damn house will have to take care of itself - I'm out!
:lol: Corner shop boozer for whatever 6 cans for a fiver deal they have is the only reasonable solution.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Wes Brown as the 11th pick. Jesus, is he getting underrated here!

Quality defender. Flexible to play CB and RB, good in the air. If not for his injuries, he might as well have had a stellar career with us.
Problem is him being a United player and those two slots are better used elsewhere on the pitch. He was definitely better than most RBs picked before him, but that really counts against him.

And he IS underrated, couldn't believe the amount of shit people said when I had him in the 70s draft... only to replace him with Zanetti to then lose against GF'K.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
  4. MJJ/Crappy - 1. Keane 2. Overmars 3. Ginola 4. Ince 5. Stuart Pearce 6. Fowler 7. Southgate 8. Berbatov 9. Ferreira 10. Given 11.
  5. Cutch - 1. Giggs 2. Essien 3. McManaman 4. G Neville 5. Barry 6. Des Walker 7. Hasselbaink 8. Clichy 9. Gudjohnsen 10. Friedel 11. Vermaelen
@MJJ @crappycraperson not yet picked their 11th player?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
They picked Agger. It's @The Stain 's turn.
  4. MJJ/Crappy - 1. Keane 2. Overmars 3. Ginola 4. Ince 5. Stuart Pearce 6. Fowler 7. Southgate 8. Berbatov 9. Ferreira 10. Given 11. Agger
  5. Cutch - 1. Giggs 2. Essien 3. McManaman 4. G Neville 5. Barry 6. Des Walker 7. Hasselbaink 8. Clichy 9. Gudjohnsen 10. Friedel 11. Vermaelen

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Glad my pick has sparked so much discussion. Yes there are many other United players you'd pick over him hence he's a tenth round pick...but other than Neville and perhaps Ivanovic, not many other rb's who are miles better than him when in his peak in 07/08 season.
Lauren.

Status
Not open for further replies.