Alvaro Fernandez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
The thing is though I think people moan because they don't see these players getting a chance to prove themselves before they are shipped out. I don't think a single person would complain if they got some gametime and shown that they were not good enough before being shipped out. All people see is how good they are at youth level, given almost negligable (if any) senior minutes and then they are gone and I think it leaves people with the idea that we aren't giving this youth a chance. I personally don't see that Malacia is all that much better than Fernandez but that seems irrelevant.
Because then the entire world gets to see how good they aren't?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He's 16, surely he's years away from even being considered for the first team, whereas Fernandez could easily get a lot of games right now given Shaw and Malacia injury records.
Ok, and then what? If Amass he continues along the path he is on could be ready by 18 and we could have Shaw, Malacia, Dalot and Fernandez all in his way.

With Fernandez' current contract/wage situation and his relatively high value, right now is the best chance to sell him, it appears we are going down the low initial fee and banking on a high sale from Benfica in a couple years which seems fair enough. It is better than keeping him around when he is 4th choice in this moment.

£5 mil+30% sale will probably see us net around £15-£20 mil which is a more than decent price for a player who has had half a good season on loan in the Championship and not really pulled up trees anywhere else.

Last edited:

DownRiver

We are getting extra money, great. However, we will be using it on another stupid signing like Antony who won’t make a difference.

Castia

Strange one. Highly rated talent with a lot of potential playing LB a position we’ve been struggling in and he’s not had a sniff

The sort of player we should be keeping and developing rather than getting fecking Reguilon on loan.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Strange one. Highly rated talent with a lot of potential playing LB a position we’ve been struggling in and he’s not had a sniff

The sort of player we should be keeping and developing rather than getting fecking Reguilon on loan.
He's pretty good but I don't think he's United calibre, we also have another young lad who's been pretty exceptional at U18 level. Malacia's also fairly young himself so I can see the logic in selling him with either a big sell on or a buyback.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We are getting extra money, great. However, we will be using it on another stupid signing like Antony who won’t make a difference.
Most pointless comment award goes to...this guy!

TwoSheds

He's 16, surely he's years away from even being considered for the first team, whereas Fernandez could easily get a lot of games right now given Shaw and Malacia injury records.
Shaw was 17 when he started playing for Southampton and 18/19 when he moved to United. It wouldn't shock me if Amass got a chance within 2 years.

saivet

If there's not a clear pathway into the first team, then I see no issue with making these kind of sales. United have been guilty of hanging onto players they think 'might' be good. We either fail to give them opportunities or realise they are not good enough and at that point they are on higher wages and their value has been eradicated. City and to some extent Chelsea have mastered the market of selling talented younger players for good money.

AltiUn

Shaw was 17 when he started playing for Southampton and 18/19 when he moved to United. It wouldn't shock me if Amass got a chance within 2 years.
Aye, if Ten Hag is still here he'll get a chance if he continues to impress, if there's one thing he's shown it's that he's not afraid to utilise teenagers if they're talented enough.

lex talionis

Is Malacia so outstanding that Alvaro shouldn’t even be given a chance?

I like Malacia as a decent squad man, but Alvaro in the limited amount of time we’ve seen him looks a far better prospect.

lsd

The Oracle
Shame but this is what happens with a fraud of a manager who crosses giving chances to players he didn't sign.

He would rather give minutes to the likes of Malacia who will never be good enough

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
Shame but this is what happens with a fraud of a manager who crosses giving chances to players he didn't sign.

He would rather give minutes to the likes of Malacia who will never be good enough
Calling the manager who destroyed Real on their turf a 'fraud' seems a bit much, no?
I would've liked to see Alvaro in the first team, mind.

TwoSheds

Malacia hasn't played a minute all season...

Ten Hag just doesn't rate one half decent youngster, it's not exactly crazy. Not every young player is good enough.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Right decision for his career, he's played 3 times since going to Granada on loan.
He’s actually played in 13 out of the 15 league matches he’s been available for. Plus the one Copa del Rey game they’ve had.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Ah yes, noted ten Hag signings Mainoo and Garnacho were just given a shot for nothing.

AltiUn

He’s actually played in 13 out of the 15 league matches he’s been available for. Plus the one Copa del Rey game they’ve had.
Only accumulated 500 odd minutes which is 300 less than Shaw who's been out practically the whole season.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If there's not a clear pathway into the first team, then I see no issue with making these kind of sales. United have been guilty of hanging onto players they think 'might' be good. We either fail to give them opportunities or realise they are not good enough and at that point they are on higher wages and their value has been eradicated. City and to some extent Chelsea have mastered the market of selling talented younger players for good money.
The key for me is selling for good money. That should be a big reason the acadamy exists apart from generating talent fof our first team

Last edited:

L1nk

Ah yes, noted ten Hag signings Mainoo and Garnacho were just given a shot for nothing.
Whilst I don't discredit your point because it's true, let's be honest here Garnacho has only played as much as he has because Rashford and his own signing Antony have been dogshit this season, and Sancho went off the rails. Mainoo feels like he's only playing so much because our midfield has been injury ravaged, even though he always looks the standout when playing there. I would almost argue he's been forced to play them more than he actually would.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Only accumulated 500 odd minutes which is 300 less than Shaw who's been out practically the whole season.
Never said he played full 90 in all games. Getting LaLiga level of experience week in week out is still good for his development.

TwoSheds

Whilst I don't discredit your point because it's true, let's be honest here Garnacho has only played as much as he has because Rashford and his own signing Antony have been dogshit this season, and Sancho went off the rails. Mainoo feels like he's only playing so much because our midfield has been injury ravaged, even though he always looks the standout when playing there. I would almost argue he's been forced to play them more than he actually would.
Mainoo is at tines playing ahead of Amrabat and Eriksen, both Ten Hag signings, and Garnacho is playing ahead of Antony and Mount, also Ten Hag signings. This line of reasoning is daft. Some players get chances and others don't, and yes the coach won't always get it right but it's just the way it goes.

AltiUn

Is Malacia so outstanding that Alvaro shouldn’t even be given a chance?

I like Malacia as a decent squad man, but Alvaro in the limited amount of time we’ve seen him looks a far better prospect.
Malacia's not even kicked a ball this season.

Red00012

Agenda fc

OleGunnar20

People moan when we keep players too long like Williams that we need to sell while their stock is high.

People moan when we sell them too early like Alvaro that we need to give them more of a chance before selling.

People moan about people moaning like me, for no reason other than to pass the time while they hide from their kids.

Is this what football really boils down to?

On the topic of Alvaro - I think €10m and a sell on clause is a good deal on our end. We've two established professionals at LB and this Amass youngster people are raving about. Alvaro is too old to be sitting around as 3rd choice, now is the time to capitalise on his reasonably high value.

Good deal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Think it’s silly guessing over hypotheticals really

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd rather fill squad spots with young guys from our youth than random signings if the new signings are always out injured anyway, or just not good enough. We have Shaw and Malacia so we do need to deal with 1 of the 3, but seems rushed to sell him and feel like it'll be more of a Garner thing. Garner, Fernandez and Hannibal all leaving permanently under ten hag is probably a red flag, even if selling youth to have a better financial situation is the right way to go. I just tend to think of it more "sell youth who doesn't have a route to first team football or isn't good enough", but "develop guys who can realistically play a part in a 1st or 2nd 11 setup".

TheReligion

Abusive

I’m disappointed as I like Alvaro and he had a good season in the Championship at Preston. The only issue with him was he did seem better suited to a wing back style role rather than your standard full back.

I would have liked to see how he would have got on as one of the inverted full backs though but it feels as though the timing was all wrong for him in the sense he went out before the Shaw injury and the news Malacia was going to be out for so long (from memory).

I can see why a loan in top flight football was agreed but it looks like it’s not been that great for him.

AltiUn

I’m disappointed as I like Alvaro and he had a good season in the Championship at Preston. The only issue with him was he did seem better suited to a wing back style role rather than your standard full back.

I would have liked to see how he would have got on as one of the inverted full backs though but it feels as though the timing was all wrong for him in the sense he went out before the Shaw injury and the news Malacia was going to be out for so long (from memory).

I can see why a loan in top flight football was agreed but it looks like it’s not been that great for him.
I still have a sneaky feeling he'll end up as a midfielder someday.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We need to get on top of FFP/ it’s like people pretend it doesn’t exist. A homegrown player will bring in every leeway. No point holding on to these players if they aren’t going to play. Get them out the door with clauses included

Amsterdam Devil

10 million + sell on is a good deal for a young player who isn’t going to make it at United. We should get more deals like this for academy players who are talented but just not good enough for the first team. It’s a really big step to take. Good luck to him. Maybe we can use the money a little wiser than the last couple of years.

AltiUn

What’s your thoughts on him going?
I think he's a good player, probably not quite good enough for United but can see him having a good career. I think if he was just a bit better defensively then he might've had an outside shot at United but it's quite a big limitation in a league full of talented wingers.

Alemar

It’s good we are selling him. There is no point hoarding all those youth players, and this way we get some money and FFP flexibility

Roboc7

It’s good we are selling him. There is no point hoarding all those youth players, and this way we get some money and FFP flexibility
Too often we have kept players until they leave for nothing or their value nose dives. Like we did with Garner we have to be prepared to move some of these players on unless they are going to be given opportunities.

Hannibal, Pellistri and Fernandez should all be moved on for decent fees and sell on clauses to help with FFP and it’s unlikely we’ll regret selling any of them.

Alemar

Hannibal, Pellistri and Fernandez should all be moved on for decent fees and sell on clauses to help with FFP and it’s unlikely we’ll regret selling any of them.
Of course. Even more so, Pellistri should just be sold - he is no longer very young, and clearly not THAT talented to make it here.

But we also have a few other players who are, quite frankly, surplus to requirements

lex talionis

Disappointed. But at least, there is a buyback clause.
I'm sure it's right in front of me but I don't see it...what's the amount on the buyback clause?

Opinions only, but this kid looks to me to have much more potential than Malacia and when he sheds the baby fat has the body for the PL.

Paul778

I'm sure it's right in front of me but I don't see it...what's the amount on the buyback clause?

Opinions only, but this kid looks to me to have much more potential than Malacia and when he sheds the baby fat has the body for the PL.
We are clearly trying to clear some FFP headroom for INEOS to work with. There would be nothing worse then hiring Mitchell and hamstringing him with a miniscule budget due to FFP. Not that i want him to spend big individually but there is so much to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.