6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickson

Because he has scored a fair bit of them. Why do you think Fred has taken free kicks for United? Because he is an ‘alpha’? Is Mata an ‘alpha’? No, but he has scored quite a few free kicks from the range 15 to 20 yards. Since way before he was hierarchical anything. Hierarchy exists, but the hierarchy is based first and foremost on merit, because coaches and players want to win games.
Ronaldo is, statistically, a very mediocre free-kick taker. He takes them because he is in charge, hierarchy. Mata is one of the most respected players in the squad and is a proven free-kick taker at the highest level, so no, it isn't necessary to be alpha but you have to be high up in the ranks, which Mata is. I can't remember Fred taking a free-kick but okay. As I said, there's no coincidence that Bruno and Rashford take them. You got to wonder why Lindelof (a freekick taker at Benfica) isn't even trying. Or Greenwood, who has scored at youth level, just walks away. Both Bruno and Rashford, and now I'm being kind, is highly mediocre at taking them.

Grande

Ronaldo is, statistically, a very mediocre free-kick taker. He takes them because he is in charge, hierarchy. Mata is one of the most respected players in the squad and is a proven free-kick taker at the highest level, so no, it isn't necessary to be alpha but you have to be high up in the ranks, which Mata is. I can't remember Fred taking a free-kick but okay. As I said, there's no coincidence that Bruno and Rashford take them. You got to wonder why Lindelof (a freekick taker at Benfica) isn't even trying. Or Greenwood, who has scored at youth level, just walks away. Both Bruno and Rashford, and now I'm being kind, is highly mediocre at taking them.
Your idea of ‘mediocre’ must be compared to the best in the world. But the hierarchy of free kicks is based on comparison to the best freekick takers in the team.

Ronaldo have not been mediocre in comparison to the players he has taken free kicks ahead of. Neither has he taken all free kicks at United nor Real Madrid nor Juventus.

Mata took free kicks as a young kid at Valencia, and as a fresh squad member at Chelsea, not because he was one of the most respected in the squad, but because he was a proven free kick taker first in training, then in games.

Lindelöfs free kicks history in Portugal is highly inferior to Bruno’s. Incidentally, Rashford has scored as many free kicks against Benfica as Lindelöf scored for them (you can guess how many).

Free kicks seldom result in direct goals, and part of the reason Ronaldo and Rashford get to take as many, is that their blend of power and technique makes freekicks from 25 yards sometime lead to rebounds and chaotic situations. This made Rashford take most free kicks at United at a point when he was far from an ‘alpha’ or ‘established hierarchy’ in the team.

I can guarantee you that if Mason nets 2 out of 10 regularily against David and Dean in training, while Marcus and Bruno does 1 out of 10, Mason will take free kicks in games, and a lot of them. The same goes for Amad, when he starts accrueing regular playing time.

Andersons Dietician

You got to wonder why Lindelof (a freekick taker at Benfica) isn't even trying.
From what I recall he took them in a specific style, which was it was teed up for him to drive it. Can’t recall him standing over freekicks and like bending them in the top corner. He was just thumping them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
From what I recall he took them in a specific style, which was it was teed up for him to drive it. Can’t recall him standing over freekicks and like bending them in the top corner. He was just thumping them.
Your recollection is wrong, standing over and bending it in is the exact manner in which he scored his free-kick for Benfica.

Andersons Dietician

Your recollection is wrong, standing over and bending it in is the exact manner in which he scored his free-kick for Benfica.
Looks like you may be right but I’m sure he also took a few where he was like the 3rd man and he was just thumping it and doing really well.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Think we should send him on loan the other way as part of the Sancho deal. They are obviously very good at developing young players.

Only worry would be they're not invested in developing him as a loan.

Adamsk7

Think we should send him on loan the other way as part of the Sancho deal. They are obviously very good at developing young players.

Only worry would be they're not invested in developing him as a loan.
I quite like the idea of keeping him in the squad. I think he’s good enough to get game time and hasn’t looked out of place in the few games he’s come on or at international level. Sancho and Rashford will undoubtably be first choice but I like that Amad is capable of playing on either wing or at 10. He’s a Greenwood level talent (imo) and we wouldn’t send Mason out on loan!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His first touch/ball control is artful. From a pure aesthetic pov, his ability on the ball is sublime and is comfortable on either foot.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
These pitches are shaming the continent. CAF needs to get a grip.

luke511

Argh. Genuinely one of the best playmakers in the squad already, he needs games in a utd shirt.

TsuWave

Don’t want him loaned. James’ and Mata’s minutes should be going to him

b82REZ

It is seen in training:

As good as that is, it means feck all.

Doing it training and doing it in a match when the opponents have kicked seven shades out of him will be massively different.

I have huge hopes for Amad but realistically his transfer was fast tracked by a year when Parma agreed a fee for him. I expect he will get sporadic minutes if he stays but a loan to another PL team would be great for all parties involved at this stage of his development.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The most important thing is simply that Amad needs consistent game time. Even though he's only 18, his talent level is very high. I don't want to be sat here in 12 months time looking at his WhoScored page and it says he's clocked in 800~ minutes in all competitions. It's simply not enough.

Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, James, (Pogba), (Martial), (Mata). That's a definitive 4, and a potential 3 more who can play out wide in the squad. And apart from Mata, the other 6 are very much ahead in terms of status in the pecking order.

In an ideal world, sure, Amad stays here and he gets any minutes that would go to James or Mata. But the likelihood of that happening is pretty low. Accordingly, a loan just may be the play here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Doing it training and doing it in a match when the opponents have kicked seven shades out of him will be massively different.

I have huge hopes for Amad but realistically his transfer was fast tracked by a year when Parma agreed a fee for him. I expect he will get sporadic minutes if he stays but a loan to another PL team would be great for all parties involved at this stage of his development.
Are you forgetting the great passes he made against Wolves too? he clearly has a natural feeling for the weight + timing of a good pass.

luke511

I guess Dan James should be our starting striker because of your 20 second video too

He played an equally good through ball to James vs Wolves where James fecked up a chip over the keeper. You asked if it was seen in training and I gave an example.. When you watch him it's obviously clear he's a very gifted consistent passer, already better than a good % of the team imo.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be honest, getting a loan next season is the only way to help him develop. He won't get it here playing for u-23. Nor would there be many occasions where we see Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood sitting on bench giving him some more game time, if we are serious to challenge for titles and trophies next season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Loaning him cause we are renewing Mata is a nonsense. Mata should be shown the door ffs!

IncyWincySpider

It would be very disappointing to see him, Hannibal and Elanga all loaned out, but I wouldn't be surprised.

b82REZ

Are you forgetting the great passes he made against Wolves too? he clearly has a natural feeling for the weight + timing of a good pass.
Doing it in a one off game doesn't mean he'll be consistent over a full season. While he's never looked terrible, there have been times it's obvious he's a boy playing with men. A season of regular minutes is what the kid needs. He's had barely any minutes in senior football. The same people clamouring for him to get minutes will be same lot criciticing him when he inevitably goes through a rough patch.

We're well stocked in attacking positions which gives us the luxury of developing Amad rather than throwing him straight in.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Doing it in a one off game doesn't mean he'll be consistent over a full season. While he's never looked terrible, there have been times it's obvious he's a boy playing with men. A season of regular minutes is what the kid needs. He's had barely any minutes in senior football. The same people clamouring for him to get minutes will be same lot criciticing him when he inevitably goes through a rough patch.

We're well stocked in attacking positions which gives us the luxury of developing Amad rather than throwing him straight in.
:lol: You say it was a one off, how many other matches has he started? he looked the best player on the pitch against a full strength Wolves side, that wasn't a fluke.

Obviously if we decide to loan him and he plays a full season then great, if not he will get plenty of minutes here too i'm sure. I'd happily give him all the minutes Dan James got last year that's for sure.

rotherham_red

Loaning him cause we are renewing Mata is a nonsense. Mata should be shown the door ffs!
Mata is not why Amad needs a loan, Sancho is.

He needs games and a season in the PL playing week in and week out, at somewhere like Brighton under Potter with Lamptey being his RB would be better for his long-term development than the likely 20+ sub appearances and 10 starts he might get here.

RUCK4444

It’s probably nothing much to do with Mata and more to do with Sancho?

Like most I don’t want him going on loan but it might be best for him to get a full season as a starting 11 player. Tough one.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I think we will loan him out only if we get another striker in this window, which then pushes Greenwood to compete with Sancho on the right wing. If we do not get a striker, then Greenwood competes with Cavani for that position and Amad backs up Sancho for the right wing.

Mainoldo

Go on loan and get some minutes. Nothing worse than wasting a season here being on the bench and not playing. He has to stay in England though no point going abroad. Leeds or Brighton would be a good education for him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Get him on a loan until January - can recall him if he’s tearing it up

Status
Not open for further replies.