Amad Diallo image 16

Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickle85

I’d be very surprised if he did, but that’s not the point.
Not having a go, but what is the point? That United fans are more knee-jerk that football fans in general? I've been on the 'Amad is average' side for ages and I'd argue that the people that blindly argue that a player will be brilliant because we bought him for a decent sum and he has a great YouTube highlights reel do more harm than good.

Ekeke

Amad is quicker than Sancho and is 3 yrs younger.
The good thing about Sancho having those stat's is there should be a market for him in Germany if it doesn't work out with us.
I dont think he's quicker and I dont think they're comparible in terms of what they're doing at a young age because Sancho was a phenom. But they also dont have to be for Amad to make it here.

Phil Osophy

Bernardo Silva is an immense athlete. Still remember his performance vs Liverpool in the 2-1 at the Etihad in 18/19, covered every blade of grass like a madman. You don’t need to be shredded like Ronaldo to be a top athlete.
I'm not saying he's a bad athlete per se, but I'm not sure Amad loses a physical competition against Bernardo or Mata in many ways. Resistance? Maybe, I don't know. Those three would get outmuscled the same way facing physical duels against strong defenders. Neither of Bernardo or Mata are stronger than Amad, taller, more agile or faster than him.

My point is, if Amad doesn't cut it in England it will be because he doesn't develop football enough in his head, not because of his body. Even more if we become a good possession based team, he will be more protected by the system. It's true he isn't developing at the ideal rate, but closing the door to him already would be crazy.

Pickle85

I dont think he's quicker and I dont think they're comparible in terms of what they're doing at a young age because Sancho was a phenom. But they also dont have to be for Amad to make it here.
Agreed. It's an utterly ridiculous comparison. Caf though.

Frank White

The sort of mentality that led to Chelsea binning Salah and De Bruyne.
On the flip side to that the sort of mentality that led to Liverpool binning off Ibe for £16m or he could end up like one of the many in Chelsea's loan army, works both ways.

Saying that lets at least give the kid till the end of pre-season to cast judgement, may have just been a off day for the lad.

Bondi77

huh? Amad definitely isn't quicker, the point was that at Amads age, Sancho had done something that only mbappe had surpassed of all teenagers over the past 30 years. Amad literally has done nothing in professional football by the age 20. Sancho is a generational player, amad is a youth player who if I were a betting man, I'd say will go the same way as Angel Gomes because IMO there isn't anything between them talent wise.
Define generational player?

Bondi77

Did you watch the full game yesterday?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Define generational player?
Do you not think that someone who has the most (or 1 off) goals and assists in a big 5 league before age 20 in the modern football era qualifies as "generational"? Because if not, I'm not sure what does.

Last edited:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Can we loan to MLS? Rooney would love him at DC United.

Low technical level there but the physicality is high level.

Bondi77

Of course. Sancho was great, Amad made a good pass and was dissappointing otherwise
Sancho scored against the reserves and showed he has great technique but still has no pace.
Amad had a tough time against their first choice defence but still managed an assist.
I think that is a better summary of the game.

Ekeke

Sancho scored against the reserves and showed he has great technique but still has no pace.
Amad had a tough time against their first choice defence but still managed an assist.
Where did he show he has no pace? :lol:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Not having a go, but what is the point? That United fans are more knee-jerk that football fans in general? I've been on the 'Amad is average' side for ages and I'd argue that the people that blindly argue that a player will be brilliant because we bought him for a decent sum and he has a great YouTube highlights reel do more harm than good.
We all have different opinions on many players, but my opinion is that we don't 'get rid' of players because they can't cut it at 20 years of age in one of the toughest leagues in the world.
The problem with some posters is that they think that if you don't agree that x, y or z player is 'average', then you think that x, y or z is going to be brilliant, which in the vast majority of occasions is simply not true. Salah and De Bruyne may be exceptions, but a lot of players emerge later to have a decent career in professional football, nothing is black or white, most is various shades of grey.
Amad was bought by the club because he showed the potential that he could be a very good player, and yes, he hasn't progressed too far at the moment, and does look lightweight and lacking in some areas, but with a full season loan to a club that will play him regularly may address some of those issues, realistically who really knows.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
No white text??:confused:

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Amad was awful for Rangers last season, chipped in with a few goals but his footballing brain isnt there. Constantly caught out of position, running round like a headless chicken, Ive no idea what the scouting team has seen in this lad. Even at Atalanta he could barely get a game, if hes the next best thing you integrate him more often than what he was used for. Good assist for Pellistri, who looks a better prospect at a fraction of the price we paid for Diallo.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He could barely get a game with Rangers in the Scottish league :confused:

Who do you think he's good enough for to start week in/week out. This should be interesting.
He'd have started every game for Feyenoord eventually, where he was originally planned to go. Their own RW was having a mare of a season and Arsenal's Reiss Nelson eventually became the starter (who really isn't very good).

"He doesn't start every match for Rangers on a half season loan as a youngster, with limited time to bed in, therefore he should go play for PEC Zwolle" :houllier:

Trex

I think him and Pellistri have a chance purely because of ETH, having a manager who improves players and make the team better than the sum of it part is the drug the doctor ordered.

Bondi77

Amad was awful for Rangers last season, chipped in with a few goals but his footballing brain isnt there. Constantly caught out of position, running round like a headless chicken, Ive no idea what the scouting team has seen in this lad. Even at Atalanta he could barely get a game, if hes the next best thing you integrate him more often than what he was used for. Good assist for Pellistri, who looks a better prospect at a fraction of the price we paid for Diallo.
5/8

Pickle85

We all have different opinions on many players, but my opinion is that we don't 'get rid' of players because they can't cut it at 20 years of age in one of the toughest leagues in the world.
The problem with some posters is that they think that if you don't agree that x, y or z player is 'average', then you think that x, y or z is going to be brilliant, which in the vast majority of occasions is simply not true. Salah and De Bruyne may be exceptions, but a lot of players emerge later to have a decent career in professional football, nothing is black or white, most is various shades of grey.
Amad was bought by the club because he showed the potential that he could be a very good player, and yes, he hasn't progressed too far at the moment, and does look lightweight and lacking in some areas, but with a full season loan to a club that will play him regularly may address some of those issues, realistically who really knows.
See i agree with this. It's just there have been people going on about how he should start this season and that it's a crime he hasnt been starting, based on absolutely nothing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He really is just incredibly light weight. The angel Gomez comparison looks the most apt for now.

Lights Out

Not seen anything to suggest this kid will be good enough for the PL or to justify what we ever saw for that kind of money.
Last season’s disastrous spell in a low quality league is the most damning of all.

avgp_1

He is not a #9 so obviously struggled with Konate. Imagine Iqbal playing in that role..its not easy. The midfield was a lot deeper in the second half, he needed someone to play off him.

RW and LCM with having options to play around him is the way to go

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not seen anything to suggest this kid will be good enough for the PL or to justify what we ever saw for that kind of money.
Last season’s disastrous spell in a low quality league is the most damning of all.
At his age, Bruno Fernandes was starting 16 games for Udinese, scoring 3 goals, de Bruyne was still at Genk, Mo Salah had just moved to Basel from Cairo, and Drogba was an apprentice at Le Mans. Just because we saw potential in him doesn't mean he's expected to blossom immediately.

Robin Your Persie

A loan to a championship club will do wonders for him methinks, toughen him up and a chance to start every game.

Champ

At his age, Bruno Fernandes was starting 16 games for Udinese, scoring 3 goals, de Bruyne was still at Genk, Mo Salah had just moved to Basel from Cairo, and Drogba was an apprentice at Le Mans. Just because we saw potential in him doesn't mean he's expected to blossom immediately.
At Amads age Rooney was scoring in the Premiership, Rashford was too, Welbeck has made the step into the first team.

Whilst I agree with you somewhat, you cannot use players elsewhere as a benchmark, you are best off looking at how United have used youth previously.

Admittedly Amad could follow Lingards career trajectory, in which he went out on loan a fair few times before breaking into the first team relatively late on, however this appears to be an outlier in United's use of youth.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another loan this season, then make a long-term decision after that.

Hackman2210

He needs to play 1st team football somewhere. Whether that’s championship or abroad. Garners loan is an example of what can happen if a player is playing. Needs a good loan season somewhere.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
At Amads age Rooney was scoring in the Premiership, Rashford was too, Welbeck has made the step into the first team.

Whilst I agree with you somewhat, you cannot use players elsewhere as a benchmark, you are best off looking at how United have used youth previously.

Admittedly Amad could follow Lingards career trajectory, in which he went out on loan a fair few times before breaking into the first team relatively late on, however this appears to be an outlier in United's use of youth.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another loan this season, then make a long-term decision after that.
Sure and you could also argue that age 20 was when Danny Welbeck's career peaked. Rashford was at United since he was 8, Rooney joined Everton at 9 and Welbeck was on United's radar at 6.

There's a social and environmental difference for players like Amad, who don't get discovered and brought to Europe until their mid to late teens.

Champ

Sure and you could also argue that age 20 was when Danny Welbeck's career peaked. Rashford was at United since he was 8, Rooney joined Everton at 9 and Welbeck was on United's radar at 6.

There's a social and environmental difference for players like Amad, who don't get discovered and brought to Europe until their mid to late teens.
Agreed, but then we could bring up the Da Silva twins, Anderson, Ronaldo, Martial all whom were signed as teenagers and all were first team material almost immediately.

The simple basis is we cannot write him off just yet, but also he has shown nothing so far to suggest he is ready for anything other than another loan deal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been a bit off what I think he’s capable of so far in ore-season. Looks like he could do with a loan.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Thought he was pretty good.Came deep ,while also linking up play well with Marcus and Chong.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He'd have started every game for Feyenoord eventually, where he was originally planned to go. Their own RW was having a mare of a season and Arsenal's Reiss Nelson eventually became the starter (who really isn't very good).

"He doesn't start every match for Rangers on a half season loan as a youngster, with limited time to bed in, therefore he should go play for PEC Zwolle" :houllier:
Reiss Nelson isn’t very good now, but was rated very highly at Amad’s age and had done more in the game. Amad has done pretty much F’all and is now 20 so he’s going to have to tear it up wherever he plays this season.

There’s not really much point spending multi-millions on players who haven’t played ANY first team football when you already have a good academy. Amad and Mejbri are both behind where you’d probably want them to be, and players who were much less rated look better bets now. Monaco spend massive money on Goebbels and Pellegri a few years back and neither ended up doing anything for them (yet) either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Reiss Nelson isn’t very good now, but was rated very highly at Amad’s age and had done more in the game. Amad has done pretty much F’all and is now 20 so he’s going to have to tear it up wherever he plays this season.

There’s not really much point spending multi-millions on players who haven’t played ANY first team football when you already have a good academy. Amad and Mejbri are both behind where you’d probably want them to be, and players who were much less rated look better bets now. Monaco spend massive money on Goebbels and Pellegri a few years back and neither ended up doing anything for them (yet) either.
:lol: No way! Can you imagine the chants?!

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Fair enough, but the suggestion that we should send him to the bottom 5 clubs in the eredivisie (which is what the poster I was replying to said), is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.