Amad Diallo image 16

Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

People being way too harsh on the kid. When we brought him from atalanta he'd only just made 4 first team appearances. He needs lots of game time and time in general to bulk up and grow into his body.

Think what you will of our scouting department at the time, but he was the 2nd highest rated talent in Europe for his position and age group behind Ansu Fati.

Either our scouting department was completely off their marbles or the kid just needs time and patience.

We ahould have left him at Atalanta for a season to get plenty of first team football under his belt. The club have been utterly awful in the recent past at placing our youngsters at the right clubs when going out on loan. Rangers was never the right move for him.

Hopefully either ETH keeps him and pellestri in and around the first team this season or ETH helps ensure he and pellestri gets placed on loan to a club where their footballing education and development will come first. Ironically a move to dutch football wouldnt be a bad shout.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Wasn't the intention to loan him to Feyenoord but then he got injured?

I think that set him back and the Rangers loan wasn't that great considering GvB didn't fancy him. Whenever he played he seemed to have a positive effect on the match.

UnitedFire

At Amads age Rooney was scoring in the Premiership, Rashford was too, Welbeck has made the step into the first team.

Whilst I agree with you somewhat, you cannot use players elsewhere as a benchmark, you are best off looking at how United have used youth previously.

Admittedly Amad could follow Lingards career trajectory, in which he went out on loan a fair few times before breaking into the first team relatively late on, however this appears to be an outlier in United's use of youth.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another loan this season, then make a long-term decision after that.
Is Lingard a great example. Showed porential on loan, had moments for us looking great, but overall you have to say Lingard didn't work out in such a way as to be any form of example or template to follow.

Bwuk

I think his level of talent is extremely high, but I have to question his desire on the pitch.

Technically he’s a brilliant player, but he has to want it more. He can be a bit soft.

Whether Amad makes it is up to him. His level of talent is more than good enough to play for us. He’s miles ahead of the likes of Elanga in that regard.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I just don’t see it with him, hes is good technically but don’t think he’ll make it here. Still early days though I guess. Maybe if he reinvented himself as midfielder player

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Is Lingard a great example. Showed porential on loan, had moments for us looking great, but overall you have to say Lingard didn't work out in such a way as to be any form of example or template to follow.
Really?

A player who has made over 200 appearances for the senior team, won the FA cup scoring the winner and a Europa League, made an international career for himself, all whilst not breaking into the first team until what, 24ish?

I'd say that's pretty successful. And a record many United players would be proud of having especially Amad.

Champ

I think his level of talent is extremely high, but I have to question his desire on the pitch.

Technically he’s a brilliant player, but he has to want it more. He can be a bit soft.

Whether Amad makes it is up to him. His level of talent is more than good enough to play for us. He’s miles ahead of the likes of Elanga in that regard.
Am interested to hear why you think this?

Bwuk

Am interested to hear why you think this?
His touch and technique is miles ahead. Physically and athletically Elanga is superior but he doesn't have Amads touch, passing range or anything like that.

Trex

His touch and technique is miles ahead. Physically and athletically Elanga is superior but he doesn't have Amads touch, passing range or anything like that.
If you combine both players strength, that would be some player.

tidraKS

I hope he'll start today on the right, with Sancho on the left. I want to see him a proper squad in his best position.

Champ

This seems to be a bit of a myth to me, Elangas touch, balance and technique is superb.

As is Amads, but this fallacy that Elanga is only in the team ahead of Amad because of his physicality needs to die!

As for passing range, yeah, Amad is superior in that regards for sure.

Bwuk

This seems to be a bit of a myth to me, Elangas touch, balance and technique is superb.

As is Amads, but this fallacy that Elanga is only in the team ahead of Amad because of his physicality needs to die!

Not sure I'd agree with you on that at all.

King_Cantona07

Dont think I agree to the point that Elanga has better touch, most of his touches are like early days Rashford's touches further away and then catch up with his running power. Best way to describe is if space is available to run Elanga would be better fit in the team and in congested spaces Amad suits better. Given Ten Haag teams try to play further up the pitch, Elanga's best skills wont be of much use. Last game we already saw Elanga being ineffective as he had no clue on next move when there is no place to kick and run. Eventually he may be out of team or moved out if Ten Haag system gets implemented successfully.

Champ

Not sure I'd agree with you on that at all.
I suggest watching him in the youth games, was exceptional there. Or his goal on his Sweden under 21 debut.

Also showed plenty of promise in his senior team outings at United, with some fantastic touches and was one of the few minor bright spots of last season.

In Rainbows

I think you're overrating Elanga's technique. I don't feel like I'm pessimistic with Elanga either. I've said in the past that he has shown better technique at youth level when dribbling than what he's shown at first team level. Sometimes he can go on a run where the ball sticks to his feet. However, to say that all 3 are superb is a bit much. I would class Sancho, Hannibal, and Amad with that description, not Elanga. Elanga is a bit like Rashford (except I think Elanga can show better technique while dribbling, while Rashford has better tricks), in that you can never expect his consistency in touch, balance, and technique to be considered superb.

Elanga is a typical attacking midfield/forward youth talent. In that he has good technique, hence why he plays that position, but amongst that group of attacking midfielders there is a further elite group of talent that has superb technique, touch, and balance. Elanga is not part of that group.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Not a player for the middle, really needs to be played as a winger. Have the field ahead of him, and being able to go in and out with acceleration and weighted passes.

Champ

Dont think I agree to the point that Elanga has better touch, most of his touches are like early days Rashford's touches further away and then catch up with his running power. Best way to describe is if space is available to run Elanga would be better fit in the team and in congested spaces Amad suits better. Given Ten Haag teams try to play further up the pitch, Elanga's best skills wont be of much use. Last game we already saw Elanga being ineffective as he had no clue on next move when there is no place to kick and run. Eventually he may be out of team or moved out if Ten Haag system gets implemented successfully.
Amad has been ineffective in his appearances pre season so far unfortunately, especially against Melbourne whereby they were playing very deep leaving minimal space behind.

Elanga is far from just a kick and rush player, I really don't think people have actually watched him play much!

I'm not claiming Elanga is better technically or has a better touch, I am stating that he has superb technical ability, beyond that of what people seem to think he is, a kick and rush player.

Amad is clearly a different style player however.

Champ

I think you're overrating Elanga's technique. I don't feel like I'm pessimistic with Elanga either. I've said in the past that he has shown better technique at youth level when dribbling than what he's shown at first team level. Sometimes he can go on a run where the ball sticks to his feet. However, to say that all 3 are superb is a bit much. I would class Sancho, Hannibal, and Amad with that description, not Elanga. Elanga is a bit like Rashford (except I think Elanga can show better technique while dribbling, while Rashford has better tricks), in that you can never expect his consistency in touch, balance, and technique to be considered superb.

Elanga is a typical attacking midfield/forward youth talent. In that he has good technique, hence why he plays that position, but amongst that group of attacking midfielders there is a further elite group of talent that has superb technique, touch, and balance. Elanga is not part of that group.
Can't say I agree with you at all.

Amad is a long way off being anywhere near Sancho's level, both in terms of technique or ability currently.
Sancho for me is world class when playing to his best.

I am not saying Elanga is in an elite group, merely that he has superb technical ability and a great touch.

flameinthesun

Very easy to see that he is nowhere ready. He has the touch and technique to be a very good player, but the few times he's played for united and last season for Rangers shows he lacks maturity in his play. Also for a player that is a creative he misses a lot of runs from players where he could just put them through. I'm on the fence with him but he definitely needs to be out on another loan.

mu4c_20le

He's in that weird place where he's too good for the reserves, but not quite enough for the seniors. Like last year, I think a loan to the dutch leagues might suit him.

The White Pele

He’s really not looking the part for me. He just doesn’t see the picture quickly enough and makes the wrong decisions in possession. I think another season on loan for him.

simmee

Very easy to see that he is nowhere ready. He has the touch and technique to be a very good player, but the few times he's played for united and last season for Rangers shows he lacks maturity in his play. Also for a player that is a creative he misses a lot of runs from players where he could just put them through. I'm on the fence with him but he definitely needs to be out on another loan.
A bit surprised to be honest. I was of the impressions he was supposed to be a very intelligent player for his age but he looks like he definitely needs to get some experience on a loan.

OpenIntrovert

Simple problem, he is too eager to impress. He certainly has the talent but gets ahead of himself when he has the ball, making the wrong decisions. ETH can slowly iron out this as long as Amad keeps himself grounded.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't see the need to talk about it anymore. Very clear that he's not ready for football at this level. Needs a loan somewhere to get used to professional football before we even think about a loan in the premier league. I honestly don't think he'd be starting regularly if he was loaned in the championship.

NotQuiteManc

He's in that weird place where he's too good for the reserves, but not quite enough for the seniors. Like last year, I think a loan to the dutch leagues might suit him.
Two year loan without buy obligation to Ajax to soften the blow of losing Antony perhaps?

redcucumber

Tough one. On the one hand you want him as close to ten Hag as possible, ironing out the creases in his game and developing his football under a manager that knows exactly what he needs from him. On the other, he needs minutes. Another talented player who's development we've mismanaged.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He doesn’t help himself. We had a counter late on where Hannibal was sprinting forwards with the ball and Amad was getting left behind, running not much faster than jogging pace.

That’s not about ability and no manager anywhere will pick him regularly if he sees that sort of attitude in training, never mind on matchday.

sillwuka

Seems a very technical player but I'd be surprised if ETH kept him around this season as an impact player.

Needs to get some minutes, whether that's championship or abroad.

Glorio

Can't say I agree with you at all.

Amad is a long way off being anywhere near Sancho's level, both in terms of technique or ability currently.
Sancho for me is world class when playing to his best.

I am not saying Elanga is in an elite group, merely that he has superb technical ability and a great touch.
Elanga's touch, balance, and technical abilities in general are quite basic from everything we've seen. I don't think many will agree with this view you seem to have of him at all.

flappyjay

Two year loan without buy obligation to Ajax to soften the blow of losing Antony perhaps?
I think a 2 year loan to midtable Dutch team would be best. Ajax can always buy or develop their player and bench him. It worked for odergaard it could work for Amad.

Champ

Elanga's touch, balance, and technical abilities in general are quite basic from everything we've seen. I don't think many will agree with this view you seem to have of him at all.
Well, it's a damn good job I don't need the Caf for justification then :lol:

Instead I'll leave it up to Lindelof: 'He's very fast with great technique and he's got an eye for goal. '

Or one of the many youth coaches at United who have all spoken highly about his ability.
'He’s a fine young man first and foremost. He’s got talent and ability' says Justin Cochrane.

I mean, you really don't need to take my word for it, you just need to watch him.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

Instead I'll leave it up to Lindelof: 'He's very fast with great technique and he's got an eye for goal. '

Or one of the many youth coaches at United who have all spoken highly about his ability.
'He’s a fine young man first and foremost. He’s got talent and ability' says Justin Cochrane.

I mean, you really don't need to take my word for it, you just need to watch him.
Do you think if Lindelof didn’t rate him he’d go out and say that in an interview? Or do you think that it is effectively meaningless, not because lindelof is wrong, but because he couldn’t have said anything else.

Champ

Do you think if Lindelof didn’t rate him he’d go out and say that in an interview? Or do you think that it is effectively meaningless, not because lindelof is wrong, but because he couldn’t have said anything else.
He could have said he's a great trainer who puts in his all, or he works hard for the team.

Instead he highlighted his technical ability by saying he has great technique.

Seems a deliberate thing to say to me.

Glorio

Yeah done that for all his senior games. Physically he's impressive for his age and he does have an eye for goal but balance, technical ability, touch? I just don't see it.

As you say, you don't need the CAF for justification, it's your opinion, it just happens that most folks disagree with those claims, and from my perspective, it's terribly plain to see why.

Status
Not open for further replies.