Amadou Onana

croadyman

We missed him and Amrabat tonight.
Yeah wish we could get both in time for Saturday. They would compliment each other because Amrabat has the passing however lacks the physicality. Onana has the physicality but not the passing quality so they have that ideal contrast

Chelsea obviously have the money to make it happen but they are signing both players in midfield rather than having to make a choice

Last edited:

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
What's the starting eleven if we sign this lad? Him instead of Mount playing in a double-pivot with Cas, start Mount when Fernandes is feckered?

Red Rash

What's the starting eleven if we sign this lad? Him instead of Mount playing in a double-pivot with Cas, start Mount when Fernandes is feckered?
The problem is Fernandes is always fit and I can't see us signing a 50+ million player, give him the number 7 shirt and then put him straight on the bench.

Gaidal

He would start over Casemiro if we play a single pivot

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
With Maguire and Mctominay deal collapsed I don't think we have the money left for any major signings.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I find it strange how teams can pick these midfielders up for cheap which our scouting team can’t find and then when we eventually want them it’s for double the amount

Senior Fusion

Then why dont bring in cheap options like baleba or diarra?
In one year they are probably way more expensive

Bojan Djordjic

Despite his other abilities, Amadou Onana struggles with passing, to the extent that even McFred's performances exceed his passing abilities.
Think you have to look at the type of passes both Onana and McTominay attempt. I've been watching some videos and reading analysis on Onana and it looks to me that he is not afraid to absolutely rip a ball between the lines and show ambition in his passing. Also looks quite good at switching the ball out to the wing. Easy to maintain a 85% passing completion if your giving 5 yard sideways passes all game.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Despite his other abilities, Amadou Onana struggles with passing, to the extent that even McFred's performances exceed his passing abilities.
I think the opposite. For a DM I think his passing is surprisingly quite good. I also underestimated his technique. Further, I didn’t know he’s turning only 22 tomorrow and he’s pretty quick too. I’m all in agreement for this signing.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I find it strange how teams can pick these midfielders up for cheap which our scouting team can’t find and then when we eventually want them it’s for double the amount
We should scout Brighton's scouts and sign them.

kaku06

Vulgarian
With Maguire and Mctominay deal collapsed I don't think we have the money left for any major signings.
If Mctominay gets sold eventually IF then do you think we sign only Amrabat or we sign two midfielders let’s say Amrabat and Onana given the sale of both Fred and vdb on top of Mctominay?

James35

I don’t want to believe we do not have £30m to buy Amrabat unless that approx £120m net spend was correct. We have made about £35m in sales right? And spent what £42m, £55m and £64m (with add ons excluded). That’s giving us about £126m net.

Yeah I’m officially worried we need a major sale to fund another buy. Definitely smell a brief coming out soon about business being over.

Anyone know if our net spend/ffp talk is correct or is it more Glazernomics shenanigans fed to the press?

Edit: apologies should be in Amrabat thread

AaronRedDevil

We need a big imposing player on the pitch. To many bitches in the squad. See how easily everyone of our players got shoved off the ball against wolves.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wouldn't say he struggles or that they exceed him. I'd say that they're all above average at it but nothing special currently. Difference is that Onana is much younger and in our first game this season he was trying to be far more progressive with his passing and a few of them began or were crucial to our attack and leading to good chances.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Wouldn't say he struggles or that they exceed him. I'd say that they're all above average at it but nothing special currently. Difference is that Onana is much younger and in our first game this season he was trying to be far more progressive with his passing and a few of them began or were crucial to our attack and leading to good chances.
Despite possessing impressive physical attributes, his statistics for progressive passes and passes attempted were among the lowest in the league last season. Additionally, his ball-carrying statistics were also relatively weak. While I do not believe he is a poor player, I do not believe he would bring any significant improvements to Manchester United.

Oldyella

If Mctominay gets sold eventually IF then do you think we sign only Amrabat or we sign two midfielders let’s say Amrabat and Onana given the sale of both Fred and vdb on top of Mctominay?
Hopefully we sign one, with the extra minutes going to Mainoo. We already have Mount coming in moving Eriksen to the bench.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Despite possessing impressive physical attributes, his statistics for progressive passes and passes attempted were among the lowest in the league last season. Additionally, his ball-carrying statistics were also relatively weak. While I do not believe he is a poor player, I do not believe he would bring any significant improvements to Manchester United.
Did you watch Everton much last season? Perhaps if you did you'd realise why and see the position he was playing in. As usual, stats aren't everything and a mixture of the eye test and stats need to be used because there were multiple moments you could see that he is capable of progressive passing + ball carrying to a high level.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
1. You realise right that we can’t sign every player scouted
2. Sometimes these players need an interim step, regular football so that they can develop to the level where they might be useful to a big side

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
1. You realise right that we can’t sign every player scouted
2. Sometimes these players need an interim step, regular football so that they can develop to the level where they might be useful to a big side
3. We are a poorly run club

cyberman

It’s because you’re comparing one club to literally the rest of the world combined.
There will be games next year when we play Mainoo, Eriksen, and Bruno with only Bruno commanding a transfer fee.They’ll also have Rashford, Garnacho and (sadly) Greenwood who cost us feck all in front of them
We seem to place our faith in youth recruitment at a younger age than being in young players for a fee and a risk. It’ll be difficult to bring through youth and partner them with other young players who need to adapt to the club and league on top of that

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Of course it’s always that reason amirite
Not always. But given we have not signed a young up coming midfielder since Fergie was here. I’d argue its one of the reasons. Especially as other top clubs have.

Rating Caciedo but not wanting to get involved in to resolve the thirdparty ownership situation is an example. Sure maybe he would not have worked out, but as a low cost signing who was highly rated by our scouts I think it was a bad decision.

On top of that we tend to instead sign players who are more “proven” and so give them high wages and then can’t afford to move them on when they don’t do well. Example VDB who I think was signed that same summer and clearly the manager at the time Ole had no use for him as he was not the right profile of midfielder we needed to play 6

Thats a poorly run club being explained right there