g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Amadou Onana

croadyman

Looks like we are abandoning Amrabat and going for this guy instead. Maybe it’ll be a deadline day signing this
Erik still needs that DLP who keeps the ball for fun and passes it effectively too,however this guy would definitely help Casemiro with his physical presence in the middle

Alemar

I'm sure it is, I doubt we arranged it just to get this rumoured transfer done :lol:
Maybe we will try Amadou Onana in our setup. Maybe they will simultaneously try McTominay, Donny, Maguire at theirs. Who knows

croadyman

I'm sure it is, I doubt we arranged it just to get this rumoured transfer done :lol:
What I meant is it could be a chance to scout him further,they could have picked any team close enough for closing doors game

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What I meant is it could be a chance to scout him further,they could have picked any team close enough for closing doors game
Ye it does make sense. Reminds me of the time we played sporting Lisbon when Ronaldo was there and we had a really good look at him and then signed him from there..

SoCross

He’s had some games in which he’s absolutely dominated. But hasn’t shown any consistency yet, tends to give the ball away and lose concentration. But under the right coach and given time, could turn out out into a really good player.

However I’d be more inclined to give Mainoo and Hannibal minutes and get in a more ready made backup for Casemiro, mid-20s age range. Onana is still young and learning. He is not an upgrade on Fred yet and arguably, McT is more consistent presence for us. Would be an interesting signing.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For all intents and purposes I think ETH has moved on from Amrabat to Onana, different profiles but maybe he values Onana's physicality over Amrabat's deeper build up skills which he knows Shaw and Martinez provide anyway. A Fellaini size with technique would be difficult for teams to handle and will be handy off the ball.

We must be prepared for Everton absolutely rinsing us, at least £60m. Maybe that explains our inclination towards selling youth players we would normally keep, we are fund raising for a big purchase.
You could be right. I think it's important to read the room as far as the EPL is concerned and look to raise the physical/athletic level aswell as the technical level of the team. And I remember coming across a quote from ten Hag last year about how he thought Guardiola underestimated the physicality of the EPL when he first arrived to coach in England. So it's important to read the room and adapt your strategy to the strength of the EPL imo.

And if we don't sign Amrabat then that will show that ten Hag is placing his faith in Kobbie Mainoo to be the controller with Onana as the hybrid #6/#8 and Casemiro as the #6. So those three players would make up the first phase midfield options.

I think Everton selling Onana for anything less than £50m would be a bad move for them. He's a player I would compare to Aurelien Tchouameni stylistically from just watching his highlights and reading about him. And I think playing for a more dominant in possession team could also bring out even more of his qualities. There's obviously things to iron out in his game but I'd rather see us iron those out rather than wait and see his value possibly increase with more competition for his signature.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think I’d have preferred Lavia at this part of price. Would ideally like a more ball-playing mid, but Onana is also a great prospect for his age.

Alemar

Talks of cash plus player(s) deal for Amadou commenced on Twitter

hobbers

Feels like his agent is angling to get him an early pay rise.

Complete waste of the clubs time at the fees Everton would demand in the current market. Would cost more than double Amrabat. Feck off.

croadyman

Think I’d have preferred Lavia at this part of price. Would ideally like a more ball-playing mid, but Onana is also a great prospect for his age.
Would you class Amrabat as ball playing

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Drizzle

This guy is giving me Mourinho vibes. I know he can play a bit, but really his technical level is way below the elite. If he was 5'9 he'd be worth £20m max. I can see he'd be a valuable squad player, but not for £60m surely.

croadyman

This guy is giving me Mourinho vibes. I know he can play a bit, but really his technical level is way below the elite. If he was 5'9 he'd be worth £20m max. I can see he'd be a valuable squad player, but not for £60m surely.
Aren't we looking for someone to provide physicality whereas Amrabat is the guy who would give us the technical ability

Abraxas

These players plus cash deals rarely seem to go anywhere. Too many moving parts only seems to complicate matters. Rarely even works on FM.

AneRu

You could be right. I think it's important to read the room as far as the EPL is concerned and look to raise the physical/athletic level aswell as the technical level of the team. And I remember coming across a quote from ten Hag last year about how he thought Guardiola underestimated the physicality of the EPL when he first arrived to coach in England. So it's important to read the room and adapt your strategy to the strength of the EPL imo.

And if we don't sign Amrabat then that will show that ten Hag is placing his faith in Kobbie Mainoo to be the controller with Onana as the hybrid #6/#8 and Casemiro as the #6. So those three players would make up the first phase midfield options.

I think Everton selling Onana for anything less than £50m would be a bad move for them. He's a player I would compare to Aurelien Tchouameni stylistically from just watching his highlights and reading about him. And I think playing for a more dominant in possession team could also bring out even more of his qualities. There's obviously things to iron out in his game but I'd rather see us iron those out rather than wait and see his value possibly increase with more competition for his signature.
Given what happened with the Caicedo and Lavia deals ETH would have stormed Arnold's office over the weekend demanding more funds. Remains to be seen whether they will be traction on this and what figures we will be talking about. Our safety net is that Dyche is exactly the sort of manager to fall for a player plus cash deal that involves McTominay. British, defensive and with a goal threat he will absolutely love him and he doesn't care much about ball progression.

Whatever happens it is at least heartening to know that the team needs to raise its physicality and he is identifying physical players with good technical attributes. Bringing in a player with the raw materials to learn from Casemiro could put us in good stead for a seamless transition in 24 months time when we would need to start thinking about replacing the Brazilian.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Given what happened with the Caicedo and Lavia deals ETH would have stormed Arnold's office over the weekend demanding more funds. Remains to be seen whether they will be traction on this and what figures we will be talking about. Our safety net is that Dyche is exactly the sort of manager to fall for a player plus cash deal that involves McTominay. British, defensive and with a goal threat he will absolutely love him and he doesn't care much about ball progression.

Whatever happens it is at least heartening to know that the team needs to raise its physicality and he is identifying physical players with good technical attributes. Bringing in a player with the raw materials to learn from Casemiro could put us in good stead for a seamless transition in 24 months time when we would need to start thinking about replacing the Brazilian.
McTominay fits into the way Dyche wants to play. McTominay has the physicality to potentially be a target for the direct ball forward which Dyche likes to utilise to win the ball high up the pitch with the counter press/high press to back that up. McTominay isn't a midfielder who likes to show for the ball in deeper areas of the pitch, so having him occupy areas higher up the pitch to win aerial and ground duels would potentially work well in a team managed by Dyche. At West Ham the scenario is also similar and would allow McTominay to increase his goals per Season.

AneRu

McTominay fits into the way Dyche wants to play. McTominay has the physicality to potentially be a target for the direct ball forward which Dyche likes to utilise to win the ball high up the pitch with the counter press/high press to back that up. McTominay isn't a midfielder who likes to show for the ball in deeper areas of the pitch, so having him occupy areas higher up the pitch to win aerial and ground duels would potentially work well in a team managed by Dyche. At West Ham the scenario is also similar and would allow McTominay to increase his goals per Season.
So it could be McTominay and Williams plus 10m

George Beast

I think he has immense potential. A very unique midfielder interns of his physicality and technical makeup. He was great in the first half against Fulham - quiet in the second but that’s the lack of consistency at 21 you’d expect.

https://x.com/pl_comps/status/1691023806385512448?s=46&t=3cSPEXx54yOkvLX_Hq8XPw
What are people on about he looks really good here. His physicality is a huge plus imo, the fact that he's got technical ability and a great pass on him makes him a no brainer. Sign him up!

worldinmotion66

Completely agree.

And according to the Guardian piece posted above, West Ham bidding again for Mctominay could well see a bid being accepted. Then I can see us possibly signing both Onana and Amrabat.
Sounds promising, it could be the best summer we’ve ever had in terms of recruitment, targeting players that really want to be here and seem to bring a real team ethic. The culture has definitely changed and it’s taken far less time than I thought it would.

mintyred

He's always stood out whenever I watched Everton play but still looks very raw. He's nowhere near a 60M player now but in today's fecked up market he might be, plus Everton would definitely go down without him. I hate the current market, it's hard to get a decent player for less than £50M

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That 50m fee in the article is a bit ridiculous in this market. I doubt a player which was a total fee of 33m for us with add-ons would go for that low in a market where Caicedo is going for 115m and Lavia for 50-60m.

Bojan Djordjic

I'm convincing myself that this guy would actually be really good for us. He's not half as bad on the ball as his stats look and he's an absolute athletic beast. Seriously fast and has the aerial dominance to match his height which we're definitely lacking. He's also great at covering large spaces which after watching Eriksen last year, I think would really improve our ability to cope with defensive transitions. Him and Mainoo in a few years could be a really good partnership.

al tuna

This is a genuine question and not a wind up...but is he afraid to be seen like McT? I know nothing of the player but it seems like reading through here that he can be nasty and mean and I would wholeheartedly welcome that in our midfield instead of dealing with McT hiding and shitting himself when he's on the ball.

George Beast

Well if you had any doubts as to why we'd be in for this guy just watch that first half. Being bullied all over the middle with no height or physicality and as a result have no control at all. Bring this lad in and he addresses half these issues alone.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well if you had any doubts as to why we'd be in for this guy just watch that first half. Being bullied all over the middle with no height or physicality and as a result have no control at all. Bring this lad in and he addresses half these issues alone.
Not having Onana isn't why our midfield isn't in this game, it's because Casemiro has been fecking awful.