Television Amazon Prime - UK

Craig Ward

I've got a Prime subscription, but really struggle with the layout.

I often browse films but find they are only available to rent or buy, and series expire with no warning. Seem's below par in today's market

I've watched "Homecoming" which starred Julia Roberts, it was ok. If that's about the best they have to offer it's not much competition to Netflix or Disney+ (or even the drama's on sky/bbc to be honest)

There's a Bourne series spin off, "Treadstone" which i will probably try and i heard from a recent Lee Child interview there are talks of a Jack Reacher series coming to Amazon which could be good but i can't find any further details.

Does anybody have any series or film recommendations from Amazon Prime?

Any tips on how to work the browsing/layout etc?

NWRed

If you look on the Amazon website and in the 'Your Prime Video' section there is a tab near the top of the page called Free to Me where you can see everything you don't have to pay for.

Some recommendations - Bosch, Hanna, Star Trek Picard, Treadstone, The Expanse, Sneaky Pete, Jack Ryan, The Man In The High Castle, The Grand Tour

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
There's a show set in a horrifying reality where evil succeeded after World War Two. Only a few people realise that the world is fecked up and by and large the main characters are a representation of what growing up in a dystopian world can be. The leader is an annoying racist knobhead.

It's called The Grand Tour.

Treadstone and Jack Ryan are worth a watch if you like that kind of thing but I quickly got bored with Prime Video and haven't opened it for at least a couple of months now. Netflix is far, far, far better.

Rooney1987

Agreed on layout, for me it's recently become more frustrating. I've noticed these days outside of the top area it's mostly full of buy/rent. They need to move it to a different tab imo.

Content wise 6 months ago I probably used it more then Netflix The Office, Battlestar and other great shows. Recently it has been lacking, the UK version doesn't get update nearly as much as the US version. The film selection is not great.

I'd recommend The Expanse, a great sci fi show. Marvelous Mrs Maisel is a funny show as well.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Used a free month to watc Picard - finished it in a week and didn't bother with anything else they had.

I'd never pay for it that's for sure.

Craig Ward

If you look on the Amazon website and in the 'Your Prime Video' section there is a tab near the top of the page called Free to Me where you can see everything you don't have to pay for.

Some recommendations - Bosch, Hanna, Star Trek Picard, Treadstone, The Expanse, Sneaky Pete, Jack Ryan, The Man In The High Castle, The Grand Tour
Brill - thanks!

Just watched a few trailers, Sneaky Pete looks half decent!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I haven’t subscribed yet but I have been looking at their interface on my television and I find it extremely clunky compared to Netflix and Disney+.

I have an interest in some Amazon shows like ‘Bosch’ and ‘The Grand Tour’ but the application is far from user-friendly, in my opinion, and there’s no excuse for that in the digital era we live right now.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Sneaky Pete, The Boys & Bosch are all decent that I've seen, but Amazon haven't put out a must see show yet from what I've seen. I want to see Goliath still.

The whole of Friday Night Lights, which I have always loved, is on there though. It wont be for everyone but you'll know after 2 or 3 episodes. I recommend that you give it a bash if you haven't seen it

rotherham_red

There's a show set in a horrifying reality where evil succeeded after World War Two. Only a few people realise that the world is fecked up and by and large the main characters are a representation of what growing up in a dystopian world can be. The leader is an annoying racist knobhead.

:lol: Fully agreed!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The Boys, Patriot, Bosch, Undone are the best shows on it.

Homecoming and Goliath (first season) are really good, too.

Carnival Row and Good Omens are a decent enough fluff watch.

Upload is a really good new comedy from the guy who made The Office.

The Expanse is really good if you like Sci-Fi.

There's definitely not as much on Prime as Netflix but I do find one or two good shows on there a month at least.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yea it certainly is not as good as Netflix. Still some decent shows like Bosch and Sneaky Pete. The Man in The High Castle is also good. As is The Boys.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't like the layout but given the price, for me it's the best catalogue out there. Their film selection is better than Netflix's, and they have a few good shows as well.

Dave_MUFC

Not sure if it's been suggested, but Mr Robot is up there as one of my favourite tv shows ever.

If you want some mindless 20 min episodes type show, The Last Man On Earth is quite fun.

Grand Tour is nice if you like cars.

Also some random football shows on there, one about Dortmund and Brazil team.

SparkedIntoLife

14 series of Criminal Minds are currently on there. Jim Henson's The Storyteller, my favourite childhood show, is also there. There's some good films too - I've watched Fracture, Silver Linings Playbook and John Wick in the last few weeks. Plan to watch Man on Fire and Green Book soon. There's lots of low budget independent films too.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's astonishing how bad the layout is to be honest.

Why they don't group series of the same show together under one click like Netflix do I don't know but having to hunt through a reel or search for the next season of a show is tedious. Similarly if you've watched something in 4K it still pops up with the non-4K version of the same series as a 'watch next' and isn't immediately obvious which is the higher resolution version.

Whoever designed the UI wants shooting.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
'Patriot' and 'The Boys' are the best Amazon exclusive tv shows imo.
The Man in the High Castle had a great two and a half season run. No idea why it just suddenly stopped and why every memory of mine after that of real life has gone. Or why everything tastes like copper. My balls hurt too.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Mr Robot is terrific. I mean insanely good. But its not an Amazon Video Original.

Homecoming is made by the same guy and is really good too. Second season coming out as well.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The Man in the High Castle had a great two and a half season run. No idea why it just suddenly stopped and why every memory of mine after that of real life has gone. Or why everything tastes like copper. My balls hurt too.
Just read a quick synopsis. Sounds interesting.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just read a quick synopsis. Sounds interesting.
The first two seasons are amazing. The last two aren't bad as such they're just not the same quality. It doesn't really leave a bad taste in the mouth though tbh.

Sure I've said that before on here. I'm running out of things to say.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Aren't The Americans and Justified on Prime? If so, watch them.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
With The Man in The High Castle, on paper it should be unreal. But it just did not reach its promise.

It was still good but there is better on Amazon Prime Video.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
My daughter has prime through a really good student discount. I'm covering off as many retro Kung Fu movies as possible. But also some really good shows, the ones I've done so far and thoroughly enjoyed ( unashamed sci fi bias):

The Boys
Undone
The Tick
Upload
Braindead

Amazon is not terrible.

SirAF

Ageist
James May in Japan is fairly entertaining and worth checking out.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

:lol:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Mrs Maisel is a hidden gem I think.

The guy who plays her father is absolutely brilliant. One of the best TV dads I've seen in years.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Tin Star is good with Tim Roth as a London gangster cop who ends up as a sheriff in Canada. 2 seasons in and now the show is heading back to the UK.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

I often browse films but find they are only available to rent or buy, and series expire with no warning. Seem's below par in today's market

I've watched "Homecoming" which starred Julia Roberts, it was ok. If that's about the best they have to offer it's not much competition to Netflix or Disney+ (or even the drama's on sky/bbc to be honest)

There's a Bourne series spin off, "Treadstone" which i will probably try and i heard from a recent Lee Child interview there are talks of a Jack Reacher series coming to Amazon which could be good but i can't find any further details.

Try this site for finding things on amazon
https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video/new

Charlie Foley

Watch Spiral. French legal/police drama. Made by BBC and Canal+. It’s really good.

Jack Ryan season 1 was entertaining but season 2 was hilariously bad. It’s not really thoughtful tv but it was a good watch (the first season).

watched The Marvelous Mrs Maisel with my girlfriend, it was pretty good too.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Watch Spiral. French legal/police drama. Made by BBC and Canal+. It’s really good.

Jack Ryan season 1 was entertaining but season 2 was hilariously bad. It’s not really thoughtful tv but it was a good watch (the first season).

watched The Marvelous Mrs Maisel with my girlfriend, it was pretty good too.
What subtitles and languages are available? Prime Video seems to only do English

Charlie Foley

What subtitles and languages are available? Prime Video seems to only do English
Huh. I watched in French, I know there are English subtitles, I don’t know what other languages are available for subtitles.

Zlatattack

It's a bit wierd. Considering how well they've set out their website, you'd think the Prime Video site would be great. It's not. The Amazon Fire layout is poor too.

You're also right about content, Netflix defintely has the better content, although Amazon have a bigger range than disney+. The thing is, the Amazon range is pretty rubbish. It's mostly average or poor, dotted with excellent shows here or there.

Stuff i've enjoyed...

Vikings
The Boys
The man in the high castle
Sneaky Pete
Black Sails
Life in Pieces
4 Blocks
Hunters
Mirzapur

If you google best shows on Amazon Prime they've got some decent content, but I've already seem Mad Men and Desperate Housewives on other platforms so I didn't include them. They also had the Sopranos and The Shield, but I think you have to pay for them now, so it's not worth it in my opinion. I've been both before and have them stored on a hard drive.

Last edited: