Television Amazon Prime Video

binary bot

Came across this a while back, a good representation of what they're trying to do.

But yeah prime video is strange. The layout is just offputting and confusing. Its poorly executed.

Fridge chutney

Amazon's business model is all around gaining your data then selling it
Many companies have this business model. Facebook and Google are amongst the world's biggest companies thanks to this practice.

Fridge chutney

Came across this a while back, a good representation of what they're trying to do.

But yeah prime video is strange. The layout is just offputting and confusing. Its poorly executed.
And they even missed some verticals like advertising, hardware, etc.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It seems to offer some decent shows/films just based on the Amazon tagged content I pirate. Thanks Jeff.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Okay, so just they have removed Seinfeld from prime. No longer worth it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I alternate between Netflix/Prime and nothing. This is a Prime month - some good movies that I haven't seen, I've just watched Homecoming, I'm watching Picard, I'll probably rewatch some Lucifer (shut up you lot).

Plus, I'm shopping on Amazon, rather than eBay and similar - which I guess is also part of what the game is about. December was Prime month as well - Christmas shopping and football.

The annual deal on Amazon Prime isn't currently good enough in the UK to make me just leave it running (7.99 or 79.99) so I make sure I'll use it when I've got it. I actually like the fact I can see/search the content before I subscribe as well. Going to another site to check what's new on Netflix irritates me.

GBBQ

I think it's a bargain at €8.

I also think their originals are generally better than netflix originals, it's just that Netflix churn out so much that you're bound to get a few good ones. Patriot, The Boy's, Marvelous Ms Maisel, Bosch, first season of Goliath, Undone are a few that pop into my head straight away.

And the free deliveries are great for Ireland because otherwise most stuff under €25 costs money to deliver.
Whats with there only being partial shows available in Ireland though? Only Season 1 of Fleabag (even though its advertised as an Amazon original), only the final episode of Firefly? I thought it was because I had signed up on a 6 month trial for €2.99 a month but when I messaged them they said they are constantly working to make content available in different regions. Found it frustrating to have things advertised that I can only partially watch!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Whats with there only being partial shows available in Ireland though? Only Season 1 of Fleabag (even though its advertised as an Amazon original), only the final episode of Firefly? I thought it was because I had signed up on a 6 month trial for €2.99 a month but when I messaged them they said they are constantly working to make content available in different regions. Found it frustrating to have things advertised that I can only partially watch!
it's pretty easy to get your account switched to the UK, and it doesn't need a VPN or anything. if you change your address and main credit card to UK ones (use Revolut or something) they'll do it for you through support on chat.

Yeah, I found that too. I was rewatching Seinfeld and there were random episodes missing mid season. The whole thing feels like it's a half baked attempt to gather users to the rest of the business rather than something they really want to build.

muller

I like Prime to be honest. Working my way through the US office (again), Friday Night Lights (again) - but the NFL doc Al or Nothing is nearly worth the money alone.

My wife watches a few things off of it too but I probably wouldnt pay for it if it wasn't included in the prime bundle with everything else, especially with Disney arriving in March.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why do they do it?

These are seeds... in a few years they will be trees. Eventual plan is a forest.

djdhrubs

Have seen 7 or 8 different TV shows on it. I think it's pretty good.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The content on it is pretty good, but trying to find it is pretty frustrating, the lord of the rings films were added today, but when you look through the movies section nothing, instead you get a ton of Bollywood films I'm never going to watch, also when you search for it, some Odin thing pops up first.

To compete with Netflix they badly need to update the UI and user content selection.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I'm in the UK and watched to watch The Wire on it but it says I have to pay for the episodes. Anyway around this ?

Zen

Yes.... go into one of the sticky threads above this might help.... starts with an "Express", they'll point you in the right direction.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The content on it is pretty good, but trying to find it is pretty frustrating, the lord of the rings films were added today, but when you look through the movies section nothing, instead you get a ton of Bollywood films I'm never going to watch, also when you search for it, some Odin thing pops up first.

To compete with Netflix they badly need to update the UI and user content selection.
Yea their UI/UX is absolutely terrible.

One aspect of this that really bugs me is their UHD/4K content is listed separately. So say I wanted to watch The Grand Tour in UHD I have to go and find that version rather than the regular HD version.

On Netflix and YouTube you just play your selection and it automatically plays the highest resolution version your connection can sustain.

Then there’s the crappy presentation and search issues that you mention, and probably by single biggest issue with it is the amount of content you have to “rent” or buy on top of your monthly Prime subscription cost.

At least with Netflix you know if you see something listed you can watch it. 80% of the Amazon Prime content carries additional cost.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

One aspect of this that really bugs me is their UHD/4K content is listed separately. So say I wanted to watch The Grand Tour in UHD I have to go and find that version rather than the regular HD version.

On Netflix and YouTube you just play your selection and it automatically plays the highest resolution version your connection can sustain.

Then there’s the crappy presentation and search issues that you mention, and probably by single biggest issue with it is the amount of content you have to “rent” or buy on top of your monthly Prime subscription cost.

At least with Netflix you know if you see something listed you can watch it. 80% of the Amazon Prime content carries additional cost.
On mobile their app is great because you can filter free stuff only at the very top, and their subtitles are better than Netflix's I find but only easy to change on the Virgin Media box. With Netflix all versions of their app are near identical so feck knows what Amazon are doing. I also feel dirty giving Bezos more money but at the very least Amazon's shows seem to have more identity to them, for the first season. Then the company stops caring and just moved on to supporting their next big thing. Netflix show more of a responsibility to creating unique contents despite a lot of it seeming like the same thing.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

Are you on the UK one as I haven’t spotted any rental stuff when I’ve used it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
On mobile their app is great because you can filter free stuff only at the very top, and their subtitles are better than Netflix's I find but only easy to change on the Virgin Media box. With Netflix all versions of their app are near identical so feck knows what Amazon are doing. I also feel dirty giving Bezos more money but at the very least Amazon's shows seem to have more identity to them, for the first season. Then the company stops caring and just moved on to supporting their next big thing. Netflix show more of a responsibility to creating unique contents despite a lot of it seeming like the same thing.
I’ve not watched that many of their own productions but the ones I’ve seen I’ve liked, especially Bosch which just aired season 5 and I really like.

I think generally Netflix is just the better run service, although Amazon can quickly catch up if they make the right moves.

Are you on the UK one as I haven’t spotted any rental stuff when I’ve used it.
Yea UK, perhaps they’ve improved it but I’ve had it so many times in the past where I’ve either been looking for a specific title or stumbled across something and when I’ve selected it there’s a rental charge.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Certainly one thing they have over Netflix is the additional channels. You have to pay but there's nothing approaching the movies Arrow, BFI or Mubi offer on Netflix.

Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Ummm wheel of time ?

It will be better than LOTR. Mark my words.
If it ever does come out, it should shit all over the LOTR series. There's so much more high quality content there.
Never ever heard of Wheel of time before this thread, but I hope you are right.

I seriously doubt it can be better than Tolkien's work, but even if it is GOT levels, viewers will be drawn to it.

wr8_utd

:'(

I seriously doubt it can be better than Tolkien's work, but even if it is GOT levels, viewers will be drawn to it.
It's a brilliant series, it has some inspiration from LOTR (imo) and it's got 14 books worth of content :lol: It honestly has the makings of a smash hit, if they get it right.

Moiraine

If it ever does come out, it should shit all over the LOTR series. There's so much more high quality content there.

It will be better than GOT because the books are completed, so there is source material there.

About if it does ever come out... Czech Filming Commission are about to reopen their country for shooting, it has already been in shooting since September til March, i guess only a couple of months shooting remains.

It has a brilliant cast, added by some high profile directors. Uta Briesewitz who directed Stranger Things and Westworld is directing the opening episodes of the series.

I am really looking forward to it.

wr8_utd

:'(
It will be better than GOT because the books are completed, so there is source material there.

About if it does ever come out... Czech Filming Commission are about to reopen their country for shooting, it has already been in shooting since September til March, i guess only a couple of months shooting remains.

It has a brilliant cast, added by some high profile directors. Uta Briesewitz who directed Stranger Things and Westworld is directing the opening episodes of the series.

I am really looking forward to it.
I didn't know this bit. I'd been following the casting news and some of the shooting pictures on Twitter but this bit is interesting. I really hope the show has the entire backing of Amazon. It's been something us fans have been waiting for years and years! The story makes for a bigger event than GOT imo. Can't wait!

Jack-C20

I find the menu infuriating. Just give me simple options instead of having to scroll down about 26 options of ‘movies we think you’d like’ or ‘newly added movies to prime’. Actually wanted to browse the paid movies earlier hoping to find something newly released but gave up in the end.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I’ve not watched that many of their own productions but the ones I’ve seen I’ve liked, especially Bosch which just aired season 5 and I really like.

I think generally Netflix is just the better run service, although Amazon can quickly catch up if they make the right moves.

Yea UK, perhaps they’ve improved it but I’ve had it so many times in the past where I’ve either been looking for a specific title or stumbled across something and when I’ve selected it there’s a rental charge.
This is where I can actually find shows, for the most part it is correct some shows like hell on wheels are said to be on prime but actually aren't and it shows what's added everyday to the non rental side of it, also I did find the rental stuff can't actually access it in the app not that is want to any way.
https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I find the menu infuriating. Just give me simple options instead of having to scroll down about 26 options of ‘movies we think you’d like’ or ‘newly added movies to prime’. Actually wanted to browse the paid movies earlier hoping to find something newly released but gave up in the end.
Jack see my link just above :D

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes their UI is terrible. But the content has really improved in recent times.in terms of films, they've been adding better stuff than Neflix of late.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Just started watching it purely on your recommendation and it is great. Amazing how much the lead looks like James Nesbitt though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just started watching it purely on your recommendation and it is great. Amazing how much the lead looks like James Nesbitt though.
It’s the role Titus Welliver was born to play, he just is Bosch. I remember seeing the first trailer when the show was new and thinking it looked very cliched but still really interesting.

It’s been one of my favourite shows the last however many years, just a simple concept executed extremely well.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It’s the role Titus Welliver was born to play, he just is Bosch. I remember seeing the first trailer when the show was new and thinking it looked very cliched but still really interesting.

It’s been one of my favourite shows the last however many years, just a simple concept executed extremely well.
Yea i think it is Amazon Prime Videos best series. Maybe going on too long. But i have to watch the most recent series yet.

The Office is Amazon Prime for Irish viewers. Just so good.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Screw you, Damien. I recommended it first! :(
I mean, try watching Bosch, Goliath, Loudermilk, Hand of God, Sneaky Pete, Red Oaks, Vikings etc. Plus the live sports add that into free one day delivery and the price all in, ist too bad at all, for what you receive.